[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is this game /v/? I've played Dark Souls and Bloodborne
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: DS2.jpg (73 KB, 784x484) Image search: [Google]
DS2.jpg
73 KB, 784x484
How is this game /v/?

I've played Dark Souls and Bloodborne and am trying to decide if I should play this or do another Bloodborne run
>>
I got it for Christmas and for some reason I've had a completely different experience to what /v/ says (gasp). Gameplay is pretty much the same as DS1 if you played that, it has a a lot more weapons than DS1, but most of them operate more or less the same as other weapons in their same class like DS1.

Now a lot of complaints about the game stem from two things, that the game has artificial difficulty and that the levels aren't as well connected as DS1. The second point is true, there's not as much connections to the hub area and sometimes it gets a little illogical.

On the artificial difficulty point I really think either /v/ played a different game to me or people here are really shit at this game. This is probably the easiest of the series for me, I have killed every except two with less than three tries. Some of them I have killed first try without even using an Estus, really they are all piss easy. All you have to do is stick to their backs and strafe to the right every time they attack.

So go ahead and play it, its a great game with a few flaws that /v/ blows out of proportion.
>>
Demon's Souls
>started the series
>literally perfect game

Dark Souls
>just added more weapons/armors
>made the game slower
>introduced memes to the series
>le open world gimmick

Dark Souls II
>just added more weapons/armors
>made the game even more slow
>added more memes to the series
>casualised the series

Bloodborne
>revolutionized and perfected the Souls combat, weapons, enemy, and level design
>improved ALL the Souls gameplay mechanics
>a textbook example of video games being art
>literally perfect game

Why do kids like Dark Souls so much?
>>
>>323645226
There's only 1 BB and its kinda short so there's only so many times you can play it, DS undoubtedly has more replayability. That and nostalgia, DS probably was their first
>>
>>323645226
what kinda of bs is this console peasant posting.
>>
DSII SotFS is the worst besides vanilla but it's still exceptional

if youre on the fence, dont be. it's dirt cheap and WELL worth the money. just don't let yourself be too disappointed and youll enjoy it
>>
DS1 > everything else
get over it fags.
>>
>>323648372
>pcuck will never ever play DeS or BB
>>
>>323645226

2 is when the meme cancer was introduced with shit like the hags talking about dying over and over. 1 simply had characters and dialogue which were too memorable for their own good..
>>
I like DS2 more than DS1, but I just bought the game last month. Apparently the launch was so bad that most of the faggots who played it before DLC/patches hate it & refuse to acknowledge anything even remotely good about it.

None of them can really compete with Bloodborne unless you strictly prefer the knight getup.
>>
>>323650272
Dark souls 1 can.
>>
>>323644379
The dlc is a must buy though the best fights are in the dlc
>>
Dark Souls 2 is ugly as fuck and lacks the design sensibility of other Souls games. You won't get the same atmosphere or immersion.

PVP is also shitty in DS2. You only get "cracked" orbs in the invasion covenants, and when you do invade, you are almost always invading NG+ players, so you don't get the same thrill of "hunting" new players who will do anything to kill you. It panders hard to duelfaggots.
>>
>>323650272
nah, DS2 is objectively worse than DS1. Matthewmatosis himself even said so.
>>
>>323650397
No, it really can't. DeS/Das/2 all feel sluggish compared to BB, even with dex builds. And the DaS atmosphere feels more depressing than dark or creepy like DeS & BB.
>>
>>323643091
Literally Reddit: The Game.
Full of SJW nonsense.
>>
I really liked Scholar but I'd sit tight, twiddle my thumbs and wait for DaS3 at this point. Play some more Bloodborne if you feel like it.
>>
Just about everything is worse than DS1, but it's prettier and still very enjoyable. It's also much easier due to the player dealing more damage, taking less, and being able to skip tons of enemies as well as teleport from the beginning of the game.
>>
File: 1449567316846.jpg (109 KB, 800x1011) Image search: [Google]
1449567316846.jpg
109 KB, 800x1011
>>323645226
>people like the dark souls games
STOP IT! JUST STOP IT!
>>
Dark Souls 2 SOTFS> Bloodborne TOH>Dark Souls PTDE>Demon's Souls
>>
>>323650595
What's the fun with bullying new players who can't fight back
>>
>>323644379
get the fuck out of here with your reasonable opinion
>>
>>323649910

Are you joking? git gud, praise the sun and PREPARE TO DIE started with Dark Souls.
>>
>>323650735

>just about everything is worse than DS1

Except the bosses and the gameplay and the weapon variety and the dual wielding system and the PvP and the online connectivity and the covenants and the magic system. So that leaves 'atmosphere' of which only about 2 areas in Dark Souls had.

So not really.
>>
>>323655404
those weren't memes. those things are perfectly normal in lore and not overused at all. it's the community which made memes out of those things
>>
File: image.gif (183 KB, 500x456) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
183 KB, 500x456
>>323643091
Didn't like it at first because I expected Dark Souls but still put 100 hours in. Got Sotfs later expecting DS2 and liked it a lot more, played another 100 hours. It's pretty great.
>>
>>323644379
Scholar is awesome, it's mostly /v/ hipsters who disagree.

Same dudes who remember every old version of every game from demon souls to morrowind and immediately forget their flaws.

That isn't to say they weren't great games, but spewing hate at everything that follows automatically is just childish.
>>
>>323653765
You got the list the other way around
>>
>>323643091
Level up ADP to 32 and you have a great souls game. Nothing special, just more of the same. And it's gonna be a cakewalk if you got gud at ds1
>>
>>323655595

Arrow in the knee isn't a meme, the cake is a lie isn't a meme, etc if you go with that janky logic.
>>
>>323645226
What does added more memes to the series even mean?

Borderlands has memes, actual memes. Dark souls has nothing even resembling a meme.That comment is retarded.
>>
>>323655714
just lol

>shrine of armana already the most cancerous area in the game
>BRO LETS ADD MORE ENEMIES TO IT!!!

sotfs is a big pile of poo poo. I don't even know what to think about the lore implications behind just changing all enemy locations like that.
>>
>>323644379
>I've had a completely different experience to what /v/ says

What a surprise.

DS1 fags are cancer, don't listen to them. It is a good game and it improved on DS1 in nearly everyway.

PvP is full of cancer though, stay away from it unless you really want it.
>>
>>323649910
So because the hags talk about absorbing souls to retain your humanity, and having them ripped away by other undead, that's a meme somehow?

/v/ hipsters. Enough said.
>>
>>323655812

>lore implications

Maybe the most autistic thing I've ever read in a /v/ thread.
>>
>>323655812
I don't recall any added enemies in the shrine, maybe that pair of robed dudes before the bramble wall south west of the third bonfire?

Not really all that hard, and they made the big central zone before the frog easier.

Fuck off with that bullshit. Some zones are easier, some are harder, rise to the fucking challenge. To me, it's extremely fun... still though, poor example.
>>
>>323655829
I loved pvp, especially dark souls 2 pvp. I loved 1 too but seriously, the ds1 guys always gloss over the fact half of them were two dudes circling for backstabs ad nausium.

Actually fighting is so much more fun.
>>
>>323643091

You get stunlocked like a bitch just like in Bloodborne, except you get stunlocked while in full armor which makes no fucking sense.

At least in BB you die like a bitch because your character doesn't wear any form of armor. Ever. Also, you get hit for huge amounts of damage but unlike BB you don't have the speed and mobility to do effective hit and run tactics, which is needed for the fucking swarms of enemies thrown at you.
>>
>>323643091
I liked it more than DaS1, it's arguably harder and feels more finished.

DeS>BB>DaS2>DaS1

All of them are either 9/10 or 10/10 to me though.
>>
If you want to get banned for literally no good fucking reason, get DS2.

>Using DSfix? BANNED
>Using controller program to change button inputs? BANNED
>Picking up items in PVP that hackers dropped and you couldn't possibly know they were hackers? BANNED
>Backing up save file, and then using that backup? BANNED

Literally every single one of these fucking things will get you softbanned. I'm not fucking joking.
>>
>>323657674

What is this softban?
>>
>>323659080
They banish you to hacker land if some algorithm detects *something* wrong with the save file. Community still doesn't know what exactly causes it to trigger, and it certainly hasn't helped me from the cheeky fucks that activate god mode when they get invaded or invade.
>>
File: humanity.png (97 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
humanity.png
97 KB, 512x512
>>323643091

DaS II is the worst of the souls series, this doesn't make it a bad game though. I mean if we're pinning souls games against most ARPG's 90% would be terrible in comparison to DaS II with the exception of Dragon's Dogma.

The few souls clones that exist, such as Lord's of the Fallen are terrible by comparison.

That being said, DaS II does quite a bit to piss to disgust people expecting something to out do DeS and DaS.

Graphically, DaS II was downgraded for the sake of console plebs. The game was built around a dynamic lighting system and use of torches so they didn't focus too heavily on textures for things you normally wouldn't see due to the darkness.

But then they removed it so everything in the game looks like a bizzare low rez grey color with random objects looking really nice (the kind that would have been seen with the dynamic lighting)

The character animations are grossly inferior to other Souls Games.

Gameplay wise,
>enemy placement isn't nearly as intelligent as previous games.
>enemies suffer from inconsistent hitboxes ranging from incredibly tight to terrible phantom length.
>a lot of frustrating, unfun parts of the game arose from the need to make it hard.
>invincibility frames tied to a stat, the stat is still almost as useless as Resistance
>Many Bosses feel samey and uncreative
>Some are just terrible filler resource reuse (Royal Rat Authority)
>poise is a lot weaker, making heavy armor unworthy of an investment.

Other bullshit includes soul memory, an anti-twink co-op system where pairs are made off of the total number of souls you've collected and not SL. This prevents fun pvp metas and encourages indefinite leveling. Luckily the community isn't that retarded and still shows up with "builds"

cont.
>>
File: 1445965497116.png (36 KB, 980x473) Image search: [Google]
1445965497116.png
36 KB, 980x473
>>323659860
>Community still doesn't know what exactly causes it to trigger
community does know and you're a huge faggot who have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>323660229
>source: 4chan
Just kill yourself
>>
>>323659990

There are also no complete orbs. The Devs seemed to have really wanted to make pvp tedious to anyone other than the dedicated. So what they did is essentially force you to grind for cracked orbs by fighting other covenant members in an arena.

The cycle is
>invade with the few freebie orbs
>Get a token if you kill someone
>spend token to fight another guy in the arena
>get a cracked orb if you win.

It's like this for dickwraiths AND the darkmoon equivalent that was redesigned to go after dickwraiths and protect other players.

Somehow, through all this, people still pvp in DaS II.

Now you might be asking "is there anything this game did right"?

DaS 2 introduced a new magic type, Hexes. in DaS there was no reason to go into int or faith unless you planned on leveling past the co-op SL meta. This was sad for caster fags who were jealous of quality buolds (dex/str) being viable for quality weapons. So DaS II introduced a magic quality type that worked off the two stats, the lowest determining the strength so you had to keep them even.

Unfortunately Hexes are broken as hell. They combine the power of sorceries with the utility of miracles x2 and ingame, Dark damage is king. Every monster has a huge magic resistance factor making mage fags hate their lives while almost everything gets destroyed by dark damage.

Secondly, DaS 2 introduced Power Stancing. This is an ability you activate by hold the 2-hand button. When you have 1.5x the stats needed to wield the weapon in your left hand you activate a state where your LB and LR become attacks that use both weapons. They do more damage than one handing a weapon but take a lot of endurance.
>>
>>323643091
You will notice a difference, something will feel off. You will feel like the game is constantly using cheap enemy placement to catch you off guard. You will feel an extreme lack of satisfaction from battle, due to terrible PC and enemy animations. You will feel disgust from the pathetic tracking of enemy attacks.
>>
>>323655723
This
>>
The game itself is okay.The level design is shit when compared to DS1.For example,the Iron Keep in SOTFS is bullshit.
Hitboxes are a bit odd,aswell.
DS2 was my first Souls game
>>
>>323660774
>spend token to fight another guy in the arena
>get a cracked orb if you win.
>It's like this for dickwraiths AND the darkmoon equivalent that was redesigned to go after dickwraiths and protect other players.
That's not true at all. The Brotherhood of Blood covenant arena is free to use, only the blue sentinels arena costs tokens of fidelity, which you can get from killing bosses in co-op.
>>
>>323662325

Must have been pathed
>>
>>323643091
I never reply to the souls threads as I consider all the posters plebs that are beneath me.
>>323644379
But this anon has inspired to state that DaS 2 (vanilla) is the overall best entry in the entire series. DaS 1 just gets more nostalgia points. And bb is some overhyped PvP centric version.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.