[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it really that good or is it decent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10
File: Fallout_New_Vegas_Intro_(HD).jpg (20 KB, 480x269) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_New_Vegas_Intro_(HD).jpg
20 KB, 480x269
Is it really that good or is it decent?
>>
>>345446449
Fallout 3 is better but its still really good.
>>
It's it's good if you have never played it. These days if you have you will need mods such as texture and that legion rehall one
>>
>>345446449
Probably my favorite game of last gen. Pretty solid mechanics overall, good dialogue, story, lots of stuff to do. Open world done right. Doesn't feel too sandboxy despite basically being a bethesda game, different areas have their own feel and don't feel too themeparky and all make sense in the context of the world.

Only problem is the combat and the way it controls are pretty wonky. If they remade it in 4's version of the engine it'd be a 10/10
>>
Good writing, but that can't salvage the terrible gameplay.
>>
>>345446631
Nice bait, almost thought you were serious.
>>
>>345448215
am i the only one who didnt mind the gameplay? it didnt seem really that bad to me
>>
>>345446631
First post bait post.
>>
File: 1461625283143.jpg (130 KB, 832x690) Image search: [Google]
1461625283143.jpg
130 KB, 832x690
Arguably the best fallout game. Certainly better than 2 in my opinion. 1 was fantastic as well.
Anyone who thinks it is unplayable because of gameplay or graphical design is retarded
>>
File: 6177754.jpg (439 KB, 1752x1180) Image search: [Google]
6177754.jpg
439 KB, 1752x1180
>>345446449
One of the best games of the 10s so far, right up there with the likes of your usual basic /v/ bitch shit like Witcher 3, Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1/3.
>>
>>345446449
The best Western RPG released last gen, and better than any released this gen as well. Prove me wrong. Seriously, I wish someone could. I just want that sense of wonder again ):
>>
File: fsfeffff.png (46 KB, 261x119) Image search: [Google]
fsfeffff.png
46 KB, 261x119
let's see those numbers.
>>
>>345448750
I wouldn't say unplayable, but it handled weird if that makes sense. I might just be shit at FPS but aiming at enemies and all that felt weird compared to just about any other FPS I've played. Just the way the controls handle is just weird. Beth fixed it for the most part in 4, that's why I think a remake of NV in 4's version of the engine would be GOAT
>>
>>345448893
what is Dark Souls?
>>
>>345452176
>western
>RPG
>>
>>345452176
>western
>>
Fallout 3 and 4 are way better
I don't care too much about story and stuff, but when the story starts out you being shot in the head and buried, then wake up in a old faggots house fine, that's when I turn off the game
>>
>>345446449
It's decent, when modded it's good.
And when I mean modded I mean like +10 GB worth in mods, not even shitting you.
>>
>>345452252
>>345452265
WRPG refers to a genre, not a country of origin.
>>
>>345446449
Depends on how much free time you have to he honest. What you get out of New Vegas is what you put in, it's really hard to get into and it requires a bit of tweaking with mods, but it's a really thought provoking and enjoyable experience if you bear with it .
>>
>>345452428
Regardless, Dark Souls doesn't fit in that genre. It's an action game with build variety, but it's not an RPG of any kind.
>>
>>345446449
New Vegas>1>2>3,never played 4
Fight me.
>>
File: 1438184044156.jpg (40 KB, 720x453) Image search: [Google]
1438184044156.jpg
40 KB, 720x453
>>345446631
>>
>>345452703
>build variety
>not RPG
Are you high?
>>
>>345452780
you can't play a role. you just get to pick your outfit and loadout. do you think fallout 4 is an rpg as well?
>>
The literally daily threads on /v/ are a bit much, but it's a really, really good title.

It's funny, actually. It has the spinoff title, but for all intents and purposes it's more of a sequel to Fallout 1 and 2 than Fallout 3 is at all.

This should be Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 should be Fallout: Capital Wasteland, really.
>>
>>345448524
the gunplay is nothing short of fucking awful. characters feel like there just floating around, animations are stiff as shit. it's buggy as hell. still somehow manages to be the be a great game though; some nostalgia factor.
>>
>>345452951
The gunplay is something you get used to, I think. It was a lot like Mass Effect 1 for me where a lot of people complain about it being one of the worst parts of the game, but it doesn't bug me in the slightest.
>>
>>345452951
>can aim down sights
>has mods for weapons
>has different ammo types
The only real issue where those "special" weapons would outscale everything else and make the game too easy.
>>
File: new vegas time.png (44 KB, 256x114) Image search: [Google]
new vegas time.png
44 KB, 256x114
>>345449020
>>
>>345453273
I was seriously missing those special weapons from FO4. Rare Weapon hunting is one of my favorite things, procedurally generating "legendaries" is horseshit.
>>
>>345452372
>4 is better
Nice bait, faggot.
>>
>>345453273
>>345453431
Yeah, the All-American is truly fantastic, and you even get 5 shots in VATS. I picked up Jury Rigging just to repair it.
>>
>>345453273
i don't think he's referring to customization. the way enemies behave makes the combat underwhelming, they don't use cover or unit tactics, they just rush you and keep firing until you or them are dead. this combined with the RPG mechanic of armor, which doesn't go well with shooter style gameplay, because in shooters you can usually kill enemies with three or four shots, but in the fallout games you need to shoot them 20 or 30 times depending on the quality of their armor.
>>
File: NewVegas.jpg (49 KB, 498x360) Image search: [Google]
NewVegas.jpg
49 KB, 498x360
It had some improvements over 3, but that's not enough to make the core gameplay not shit.
>>
>>345453431
>FNV
>different types of guns with different types of ammo
>different types of energy weapons: laser, tri-laser, plasma, multiplas,pulse, sound, recharger, arc welder, tesla cannon, plasma caster etc.
>different types of power fists: zap glove, ballistic fist, displacer glove, industrial hand, saturnite fist, etc.
>F4
>THE rifle
>THE pistol
>THE power fist
>THE ammo
>you want variety? craft it yourself!
Seriously, why did they cut out all the fun unarmed, melee and energy weapons in F4? I liked those
>>
Bathesda has been full-on anti NV since the last month, can't help but to wonder why.
>>
>>345446449
It's better than 3, but compared to the non-Bethesda titles it's still a pile of shit.
>>
>>345446449
Its really good and DLC's are tight as fuck
>>
>>345446449
You either love it or hate it, try for yourself.
>>
>>345446449
I cant be the only one who has the OST in their car can I? Its so good.

Post best song
When you say I love YOOOoooOooOOOoOO
>>
>>345446449
Good, but I don't understand how /v/ can still talk about it as often as they do.
>>
>>345455838
how so?
>>
>>345446449
My only 10/10 game, it's glitchy, it's got loading problems and wonky animations, and yet it is probably the best rpg game I have ever played and has an extremely in-depth world and a massive amounts of quests and storylines that aren't all just "go here and shoot things" like f4. 400+ hours and I still haven't done half the quests and have tons of exploring still to do.
>>
>>345449020
Also 200 on the ps3 version
>>
>>345452780
You don't make different characters, you make the same charcter with different weapons. FalloutNV can be played without weapons at all and can have you bring people together just by talking and solving problems. DarkSouls just lets you choose what weapon people die to.
>>
I just wish it wasn't so goddam ugly
>>
like Fallout 3 it has its high points and low points.

A game taking the best aspects of both and nixing the worst aspects of both would probably be the best action RPG of all time but we'll never get that.
>>
File: nvhours.png (47 KB, 297x117) Image search: [Google]
nvhours.png
47 KB, 297x117
>>345449020
>>
>>345456134
since last month they have been bashing NV around, if you are a NEET like me and spend most of your day around in /v/ you could easily see it, before NV got all the praise and barely a couple of rather obvious trolls.
>>
>>345446449
The best 3D fallout. So it's all how you see fallout games.
>>
Fallout New Vegas is the perfect example of "just make a good fun game, don't worry about the visuals"
>>
>>345456543
oh i thought you meant officially
>>
>>345446449
It's really decent
>>
i fucking love new vegas
don't bother going in without mods and all the DLC though
>>
>>345456543
that's just people getting mad that Fallout 4 doesn't have daily threads. the Bethesda shills are making Skyrim threads right now to build hype for the remaster.
>>
>>345456778
i have 600 hours on the xbox version with no DLC. it's just a good game, you don't need anything besides the vanilla version if you're a real fan. everything else is a bonus.
>>
>>345456936
i'm just saying it adds a lots more to the game and improves upon it as well

plus you gotta admit that the graphics didn't look that great at the time and only look worse now
>>
>>345446449
Good and ambitious game severely held back by a dogshit engine and limited dev time. Probably one of the most deep wrpgs made. But while the writing is undeniably good, the actual dialogue can get boring in the long run.
>>
>>345457405
The early stuff gets boring. The later game is more interesting. It's not really a problem because you can go straight to Vegas
>>
>>345456853
this desu
>>
File: 1396468517229.jpg (43 KB, 449x449) Image search: [Google]
1396468517229.jpg
43 KB, 449x449
>>345457535
>because you can go straight to Vegas
>>
>>345457560
It's easy. I just did it yesterday
>>
A really solid game mechanically and in terms of writing but really, really fucking boring until the late game, and in vanilla state I would easily say it's worse than Fallout 3, NV pretty much requires mods to be played.
>>
What mods should i get?
>>
>>345457560
I walked unarmed to new vegas in less than 2 hours starting the game. Just grab a barrel at the road that leads to the radio station and walk along the mountains around the quarry.
>>
>>345446449
It's the only good Fallout game that runs on gamebryo.
>>
>>345457652
I disagree entirely.

NV is just better Fallout 3 mechanically.
>>
>>345446449
Meme game
>>
>>345457652
>He didn't like the U path

What are you gay
>>
>>345457535
Not really. Early game is relatively light on content and once you get to mid game and later, the amount of dialogue is overwhelming at times. I have an autism where I always try to exhaust all dialogue options in games without skipping the voice-acting. It can get really tedious when there's 10 dialogue options and all of them have multiple sub options in them.
>>
+combat is way better than 3's

+main story is far better than 3's

+Faction system, disguise system, and using actual stat checks instead of percentage chances is a huge improvement over not just 3 but every other Fallout game.

+In general loads of options for finishing out quests and changing the outcome, many times being on completely different sides.

+roleplaying is far better than 3 though complete shit compared to 1 and 2

+some fantastic sidequests

+lategame/endgame is great

-the game is insanely fucking boring at the beginning, it is a really, REALLY slow start. Stick with it, once you hit the midgame it gets amazing.

-Awful visuals, loads of boring desert and boring mountains, brown and brown and tan the whole game. Fallout 3 actually looked way more interesting and aesthetically pleasing.

-radio is insanely repetitive due to not many songs and not much dialogue on Mr. New Vegas, a radio mod is a must have to play

-open world is godawful compared to 3's, it is not fun to explore, they pull every trick (overleveled enemies, invisible walls, loads of tiny hallways) to segregate the map and make it a chore to navigate. I would have honestly preferred if it had the map system from 1 and 2 if they were going to make the open world so shit.

-not all sidequests are created equal. In Fallout 3 about 96% of sidequests were full-fledged actual stories which was one of the things it did well. In NV there are still a decent amount of quests like that, but a TON of KILL/COLLECT X AMOUNT OF Y AND COME BACK TO ME mmo style shit.

-If 2 and 3 were too cartoonish this one is perhaps a bit too down to earth. The early game is incredibly lacking in any flavor or personality, really dry.
>>
>>345458620
Comfy as fuck.

>Start up in goodsprings
>try to go straight
>get cazador'd, deathclaw'd
>Vegas in sight
>oh well, other way it is
>walking during the day on the U-Turn
>vegas far away
>but at night their lights are so bright you can see it, Vegas is ever present during the whole game

10/10 atmosphere
>>
>>345458876
>I have OCD so this game is tedious for me personally because it has so much stuff
That's more of a detriment to you than the game itself.

My OCD got so bad once that I would delete hours worth of save content to "cleanse" if I ignored a compulsion, you don't see me complaining that there are cracks in the road or whatever.
>>
>>345458981
Vanilla NV is too bright at night, though.
>>
>>345458620
I would rather play through Paragus Mining Station 3 times than suffer the U.
>>
>>345458954
>+roleplaying is far better than 3 though complete shit compared to 1 and 2
?????
>>
>>345456853
New Vegas really dosen't have daily threads. 90% of it is bitching about fallout 4, the other 10% is spoon feeding mods.

This pretty much is just a Bethesda general.
>>
>>345459021
Not the amount of stuff, but how interesting it is. Lot of the optional dialogue is not that compelling in NV. I felt like it was done better in Witcher 3 for example. There's just as much, if not more, dialogue but it's paced much better. You always get a few optional dialogue options depending on the situtation or what the npc said to you.

But like you said, it's obviously subjective. I didn't find a big chunk of the optional dialogue to be that interesting in NV, other people might.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.