[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you feel like this is a fitting end to the series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 12
File: 1_half_life_2_episode_two.jpg (30 KB, 508x285) Image search: [Google]
1_half_life_2_episode_two.jpg
30 KB, 508x285
Do you feel like this is a fitting end to the series?
>>
No.
>>
Maybe.
>>
>>345407517
Fitting? No. But it'll do.
>>
>cliffhanger

Fuck no.
>>
>>345407517
I think its the equivalent to an amazing scifi TV series getting canceled.
>>
Half-life doesn't make sense anyways. Black guy dies and then what? Literally anything. Just make it a co-op adventure with portal girl. voila #1 best seller on steam.
>>
>>345407517
>HL2 Episode 2 came out 9 years ago.
Does anyone even care anymore?

I was starting college when this was released, now I'm living in another country with a degree and trying to get a promotion.
>>
Possibly?
>>
The saddest part, is that the talent and people who made Half Life great are no longer at Valve.

We COULD get a Half Life 3 eventually, but it would never have been the game that the series should have gotten. It would only have the name.

It's not the Developer that matters, it's the people. And the people who formed Half Life 2 are gone now.

It's time to let go. We could get a HL3, but it will never be the HL3 we could have gotten all those years ago.
>>
>>345409962
Depends, if it was released on Steam tomorrow would you download it?
>>
>there are now people who don't know valve from anything except dota 2
>>
>>345409898
It would be nice if alyx fucks off in the next game and instead you get to bro-op with barney and he finally gets you that beer he owes you
>>
File: 1388339799856.jpg (37 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1388339799856.jpg
37 KB, 320x287
I'd rather have Portal 3 than Half Life 3.
>>
>>345410109
I'd probably wait for the summer sale. At this point it'd just be another FPS.

Had it been released a few months, or even a year after Ep. 2 I'd have bought it day 1, but these days I really have a hard time putting aside time to play yet another FPS, and also caring about anything Valve develops, since their last two games were mediocre and bad.
>>
>>345410087
has anyone asked the developers of HL2 how they personally feel about what's happening with the franchise?
>>
>>345410965
>What's happening with the franchise

Nothing is happening with the franchise, that's the thing. It's been dead for almost a decade now.
>>
>>345410087
This happens with a lot of long lived franchises
>>
>>345411283
And how do those former developers feel about that?
>>
>>345411302

Pretty much, but in this case it means leaving the development to new Valve, which isn't a good sign.

There's a rumour that the because the monetized workshop of Portal 2 failed so hard Valve gave up on singleplayer titles. Gabe has stated that he wouldn't make a HL3 unless he found a way to monetize it as a service like Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2.

That's the reason there'll never be a HL3, because Valve doesn't make 'games' anymore, they make 'services' like CSGO (a marketplace/gambling tool) or Dota 2 (monetized mods).
>>
>>345409962
I don't care anymore, but I would probably play it if it ever came out.
>>
>>345412138
Gabe is such a piece of shit.
>>
>>345411994
I very much doubt they care.
>>
No but it is what we got.
>>
>>345407517
FUNNY GUY
>>
>>345410087
This the collective talent is gone now.

Best shot is letting a new dev do it

Valve is cancer
>>
>>345412439

The signs have been there for years, but we didn't understand the implications. Looking back on interviews with Gabe now, especially ones from like 2007-2010 can be eery. There's a really different underlying message in what he says in retrospect.

Gabe's goal for years, YEARS now has been to find a way to monetize third party content as a 'facilitator' or as a 'service'.

Essentially, his wet dream is a way to be a glorified middle man that takes a cut of other people's work. Paid modding was an absolutely Valve idea. It's their entire operational strategy.
>>
File: Thelostroom.jpg (33 KB, 305x430) Image search: [Google]
Thelostroom.jpg
33 KB, 305x430
>>345409891
Thanks for reminding me of this show's tragic death.
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>345410251
Part of me thinks that the Portal 2 PeTI and Workshop integration was Valve saying
>Why make Portal 3 when the fans can make it for us?
>>
>>345412718
Didn't they already succeed with the Steam market and their taking of 15% off every transaction? Feels like some scummy mafia shit to me
>>
>>345413172

Right. We all thought Steam was Valve demonstrating a commitment to PC gaming and good customer service. We saw the big sales and cheap games and thought it was because Gabe cared about creating good relationships with clients.

Bullshit it was. It was Valve applying 'monetize other people's shit' to PC sales. They didn't create steam because they wanted to revolutionise PC gaming, they did it because it was a way to get a cut of every game sale in an undeveloped market.

Valve isn't bad, they're a company. But it's 2016 now and it's obvious that Valve's aims no longer align with what's good for the average gamer. Valve making a shitload of money monetizing PC game sales on Steam was good for everyone at the time, but shit like paid mods is good for nobody.

We thought Gabe was our guy. Our dude, but in reality, it was just that his aims and gamer's aims happened to align for a period of time, and now they're diverting.
>>
>>345409962
How do I unsubscribe from this blog?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt0w9YP_wZ0

This video is extremely thread-relevant.
>>
>>345414980
You don't, don't forget your here forever.
>>
>>345413623
>>345415346
I know I'm an idiot for putting my faith in a multi-million dollar corporation, but it legitimately makes me sad how Valve was once upon a time one of my favorite developers of all time, Steam being the icing on the cake. Nowadays they give less than a fuck about single player, dicked TF2 beyond repair, and spend most of their time and capital making skins. All good things.
>>
File: scared.png (258 KB, 421x500) Image search: [Google]
scared.png
258 KB, 421x500
>>345412138
>the monetized workshop of Portal 2
This is the first i've heard of it
>>
>>345415346
>last mention was in 2013
>that was 3 years ago

We really should give up hope, shouldn't we?
>>
File: header.jpg (87 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
87 KB, 460x215
>>345416558
They monetized a mod, not the workshop

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280740/
>>
>>345416558

Portal 2 had a workshop and even a paid mod. It just never actually got any steam like the Mannconomy.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280740/

People don't even remember the Portal 2 workshop anymore. Turns out you need to have people playing a game continuously over a long period, and 6 hour SP games don't do that.

You can play Portal for 6 hours and be done with it, but play 1000 hours of TF2. Hence why TF2 is so much better at monetizing itself as a service.

Not saying people didn't create content for the Portal 2 workshop, but virtually none of it was ever seen by human eyes and sits unused and unviewed on the workshop.

Here's what Gabe had to say about the whole thing:

“But we are also going to build on what we learned, and we have learned a lot. We aren’t going to go all retro because there are too many interesting things that have been learned. The only reason we would go back and do a ‘super classic’ kind of product is if a whole bunch of people internally at Valve said they wanted to do it, and had a reasonable explanation for why it was. But, you know, if you wanted to do another Half Life game and you want to ignore everything we have learned in shipping Portal 2, and in shipping all the updates on the multiplayer side, that seems like a bad choice. So we will keep moving forward but that doesn’t necessarily always mean what people are worried that it mean. “

Read more: http://wccftech.com/gabe-newell-understand-peoples-concerns-life/#ixzz4EjdldqLn
>>
File: mirror.jpg (53 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
mirror.jpg
53 KB, 600x337
>>345413623
>left console gaming because i was tired of being treated like an atm for pc
>really liked stuff like counter strike source portal, tf2, and garrys mod
>bought microtransactions in shit like dota 2, tf2, and cs:go because the first two were "free 2 play donewell", but start to realise how cancerous it is
>paid mods, other retarded decisions
>jew crates get added to a non valve game i loved and a game i was hoping would be good
>i can't stand any games with loot crates anymore, and uninstalled every valve game with jew crates
>mfw
thanks for destroying my faith in this hobby you fat fuck
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (46 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
46 KB, 1920x1080
>>345417979

LIKE A DAMN FIDDLE!
>>
>>345416314
>and spend most of their time and capital making skins
Yeah friend they don't even make skins anymore. It's all community shits now
>>
File: 169.jpg (46 KB, 578x327) Image search: [Google]
169.jpg
46 KB, 578x327
>BOO HOO VALVE R SO BAD THEY KILL MUH HUBBY
>Meanwhile, Nintendo
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 196x110) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 196x110
>tfw content creators leave you on cliffhanger on purpose
>>
>>345411302
>>345411994
I feel like Machinegames could pull it off if they got out of their cutscene boner
>>
File: 1392688674883.jpg (40 KB, 342x298) Image search: [Google]
1392688674883.jpg
40 KB, 342x298
>Mfw Valve know how the trilogy will end
>Mfw they could just fucking tell us in one of those fucking comic releases they do every second day for TF2
>Mfw they won't because they might still wanna cash in on HL3 one day

They could end that cliffhanger with zero effort and cost but still won't. They release those dumb fucking comics for TF2 all the time, why not end HL with some dignity and and least let gamers know how it ended up?
>>
>>345407517
Can't wait for the 10th anniversary of this game's release which will go on completely ignored by Valve as always.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.