[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You now remember the OUYA.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8
File: ouya_console[1].jpg (104 KB, 1000x543) Image search: [Google]
ouya_console[1].jpg
104 KB, 1000x543
You now remember the OUYA.
>>
Oh ya, I do
>>
>>345398598
What games does it even have?
>>
How can I forget a device I own?
>>
>>345398901

Why the fuck would you willingly own an Ouya?
>>
>>345398901
Pics or it didn't happen

put a fork on it and take a photo
>>
Anyone remember that vid of the guy who unboxed his that was popular here for a while?
>>
it's actually pronounced "oh yeah" as in "ouya, I forgot this existed"
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ha6Mb5_YQ

How did this fail? So much value.
>>
Apparently you can install the Ouya store on any droid device. Not sure if it has exclusives or what.
>>
>>345398847
The Amazing Frog, which now has a steam version anyway, and that one Killing Floor top down thing that nobody actually cared about. That's about it.
>>
>>345398598
every Tuesday infact
>>
>>345398598
What even is this thing? I never heard about it, only heard it mentioned in odd places but never anything about it
>>
>>345399272
Ouya exclusives are on Steam and you can hack a Wii or get a Pi for emulators
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY5yG2KyQfM

lel
>>
File: 12330-3369-0.jpg (32 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
12330-3369-0.jpg
32 KB, 320x240
>>345399235
what the fuck
>>
>>345399023
Its actually not a bad device, the hardware was solid at the time in terms of what you could do for a sub $100 system and if you install your own OS, or just side load the proper software it can be a quite capable little emulation box.

I think the Ouya's problem ultimately is that it arrived too soon in the mass market, and that they never iterated in the way they planned to originally. There are however a couple of more recent platforms that are trying to do some of the same things that the Ouya did.

Raspberry Pi has gotten the iteration part down, but they were never aiming for mass market appeal. Still there are a number of 'console' OSes available for it and its relatively easy to build a little retro console from one.

Valve's Steam Machines on the other hand were hyped to the mass market before they were ready but Valve at least seems to be well positioned to actually follow through with the vision of a 'console' built on commodity hardware running an open source OS.
>>
File: 1459877636075.gif (111 KB, 294x233) Image search: [Google]
1459877636075.gif
111 KB, 294x233
>>345399235
Jesus christ. Is this real?..
>>
>>345399523
shitty, already outdated in 2013 smartphone hardware in a cube
>>
>>345399235
>someone paid anywhere between $10k and $100k to a marketing company for this
>>
>>345400270
Ouya's problem was that it was hyped beyond belief. That hype was capitalized on by the company producing it. 90% of the people who backed it believed it would be a legitimate competitor to actual consoles. The other 10% realized it was an android in a box and purchased it on that premise.

And then the rest of the human populace saw it for what it was, a piece of shit.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTqhyHuKVKA
>>
>>345400562
Think this is more the case of someone being an animator on the side thinking marketing is something anyone can do.
>>
File: ouya.png (300 KB, 654x603) Image search: [Google]
ouya.png
300 KB, 654x603
I miss the Ouya. It's nice when /v/ has a mutual punching bag. Everyone gets along for a while.
>>
>>345400779
At the time it was being dreamed up Ouya's strategy didn't seem that crazy. A cheap little box that could compete against the Wii. With mass market style games with an OS that would make cross compatibility with Android phones easy, and hardware shared with the most popular Android tablet.

The general population just don't understand how locked down and monopolistic the industry has become at the moment. Proprietary single-platform APIs, that are sometimes even restricted to a single version of a platform are completely dominant and that makes it extremely hard for any new competitor to pick up support. If OpenGL, GL ES, and Vulkan can pick up support among developers it could be much easier for new hardware makers to enter the market, but Apple has locked their OpenGL support at version 4.1 to force their new Metal API, and Microsoft as always wants to force everyone onto the latest version of their OS by placing artificial restrictions on the hardware of everyone using an older version of Windows.
>>
File: Screenshot (29).png (845 KB, 1273x704) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (29).png
845 KB, 1273x704
I still remember the retarded ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ha6Mb5_YQ
>>
File: 332918310.jpg (28 KB, 400x396) Image search: [Google]
332918310.jpg
28 KB, 400x396
>>345400936
>you can play it on television
lel
>>
ouya and battleborn should unite together
>>
>>345404284
>mfw I would still buy it if it came with Virtual ON & Trickstyle alone
>>
File: sylveon is cute!.png (174 KB, 614x641) Image search: [Google]
sylveon is cute!.png
174 KB, 614x641
>you never bought an ouya
>>
ew
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.