[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How old is too old for video games ? I'm 29 and i really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10
File: 1024x1024.jpg (64 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1024x1024.jpg
64 KB, 1024x576
How old is too old for video games ?

I'm 29 and i really don't have the time for it. I couldn't imagine how awesome all this technology would have been to have when i was 15.

But I'm not. I'm old. And it is hard to enjoy games. I just dont have the time to invest in a 40 video game. The time i do put into games i really feel guility because it is time i really could have spent doing something better.

What age is too old for video games ?
>>
You don't outgrow video games.
A combination of wasting your free time on /v/ and having something like a job taking most of your time makes you cynical and jaded.
>>
I've felt that way since 21. 24 now and the most I play is mobile games every couple of months
>>
Never too old, honestly. Played Quake 2 with a 70 year old, and most of the guys I work with game at 35+. You might not be able to grind the fuck out of MMOs like a 21 year old NEET poopsocker, but as long as you don't game at a detriment to other shit and can enjoy yourself, why not?
>>
>>345355792
How old is too old for movies?
>>
>>345355792
I don't have the time to invest in big open world shit anymore but I still play lots of arcadier stuff when I have free time.

There's no point where you're too old for games, because most people in their 20's and 30's now grew up with modern gaming. That stigmas starting to disappear.
>>
>>345355792
I have no idea if this is a shit posting thread or what but you're never too old for video games.
If you go by that then you should stop watching movies or reading fantasy novels, or you know, stop posting on 4chan
>>
>>345357125
Stigma in general is eroding. Thanks to the internet we can all find validation on other people who think or act like we do (both good and bad) so it's no longer needed to give a shit what the 'general' society around us believes.
>>
I don't think there's an age for that

When I played Maple Story as a teen there were some moms and fucking grandmas in my Guild, not even joking. Some of them were so strongly addicted to the game they reached level 200 with all the good gear and shit, I'm talking about the time when it was hard to reach to that point. I quit the game and they were still playing it (could know because they were posting about their achievements)
>>
>>345357103
Movies are completed from an hour to three hours typically.

Video games usually go from 10 hours to the hundreds. Its not the same thing.

You go to dinner, watch a movie and go on. Thats easy to do at age 30.

Playing 50 hour game within a time that you can remember and enjoy the entire game is hard
>>
>>345355792
You could play an hour a day and finish most games considered "long" in under two weeks.

The fact you're on here tells me you have an hour to blow, probably more.

Conclusion: not having time is no excuse.
>>
I'm down to a pc for my media server and random AAA title I want to try and a WiiU for most Ninty games nostalgia(mostly pokemon and zelda.

You'll either come back and enjoy games again, or move on. Either is fine.
>>
The average age of video gamers was 31 some 5 years ago when I finished off this 3D animation degree. I would imagine it'd be up to 32-33 by now.

I feel the same way about video games, I bought a fuckload back when the steam sale happened in 2013 and still haven't gotten through most of them. I think the whole reason we feel guilty is because we become familiar with risk vs reward. Finishing a video game doesn't give the same sensation for spending more time on them.
>>
>>345355792

I'm 29, working 10 hour days with a 1 hour commute each way. I still find time to play games in the evenings and on weekends. Been working through Odin Sphere and Dragons Dogma and there are plenty of other games I would love to get my hands on as well.

Chances are, you have the time, you just have to learn how to manage it.
>>
>>345357931
How old are you? are you working in the industry?
>>
>>345356687
this, my grandpa was playing quake 3 back in his 60s
>>
File: 1468418574342.png (729 KB, 653x717) Image search: [Google]
1468418574342.png
729 KB, 653x717
I don't know about /v/, but the median age of 4chan has been rising. Which makes sense given a generation has grown up with 4chan. I'd guess /v/'s median age is probably mid or late twenties by now. Sure, we have lots of underagefags, but I'm also sure we have plenty of older /v/irgins. They may just not post as often.
>>
>>345358041
>Chances are, you have the time, you just have to learn how to manage it.
pretty much. all the time you spend shitposting on /v/ could be spent playing video games
>>
>>345355792
>How old is too old for video games ?
there's no such thing, you autist
>>
>>345357580
Most non-RPG games can be completed in a weekend or two.

I agree that those 100 hour beasts are a lot harder to manage now, but not really for the time they take but more since I usually play games in 1-2 hour sittings over time it get's boring to play the same thing for a month or more.

That said, I feel like Zelda will be an exception.
>>
>>345358069
I'm 29 and I'm an IT Support officer for a private contractor. I finished my animation degree in 2010 and haven't really made one since, there's nothing in Brisbane really for animation and I didn't have the money upon completing uni to move to the US or Canada.

I'm quitting soon because the business is going under, I'm trying to get back into my 3D animation again. I'm planning on taking a year off to do that and study.
>>
>>345358493
Good luck anon, I'm in a similiar situation. Studied 2D though, then realized there's zero work around me and lost most of my motivation. Need to get better, work harder (maybe even study a some 3D too) and get the fuck outta here. Best of luck.
>>
>>345357410

As long as you're careful with that attitude, anyway.

The internet also makes it easy to think your interests and behavior are commonly accepted no matter how fucking weird or spergy, so when you go out in public it's spaghetti and meatballs time.

Some niggers just can't compartmentalize for shit.
>>
>>345358126
my grandfather is 74 and uses 4chan albeit he browses /pol/ but he never posts and just gets his news from there. I'm sure there are plenty of middle aged and older people using this site I don't see why not. It offers something for everyone now a days.
>>
>>345358778
Good luck to you as well. 3D is definitely a nice skill to have nowadays but if you have 2D there are still options.

Keep studying and look at getting into a garage studio. They are a feesiable way in. The trouble with getting back into it is time management. We'll both manage.
>>
File: 20160717_032232.jpg (850 KB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
20160717_032232.jpg
850 KB, 2304x1296
>>345355792
Am just 18 years old. Even people younger than me don't even play games anymore. My best natutard buddy from nigeria contacted me for the first time in 5 years when we were 7th grade clowns who were crazy over naruto and video games. He asked me if i was the same gaming nerd geek, am replied with a yes.

He quickly changed the conversation into girls. He thought i had girl friend because of pictures with me and girls on hs graduation. He started to claim that he was confident and not shy anymore. Talking all chad tier alpha male dude bro while he still looks the funny autist he was in seventh grade. He didn't even talk about naruto at all which shocked and surprised me. Males will literary drop all their hobbies and fun time just to attract a girl and keep her interested.
My closet friend that is a narutard doesn't even play his ps4 anymore. Hasn't even bought another video game since naruto storm 4 came out.
>>
File: yeah ok.gif (3 MB, 478x363) Image search: [Google]
yeah ok.gif
3 MB, 478x363
>>345359853

>my grandfather browses /pol/
>>
Stop with your trash excuses.

There's no way you can't make way for an hour per day to sit on a videogame.
Even 40 hours long games would take a bit more than a single month to clear.
>>
>>345355792
Something better? Like what? Your story seems suspicious since you didn't specify what is the better alternative and if you would had an actual better alternative you wouldn't be experiencing these undoubtedly complicated moral thoughts over whether you're doing the right thing.
>>
>>345359905
If you have to drop your hobbies for someone, they aren't worth it because they probably wouldn't do the same.
>>
File: 1418403747463.jpg (17 KB, 211x241) Image search: [Google]
1418403747463.jpg
17 KB, 211x241
>>345355792
Never.

Video games are just like any other big entertainment medium out there. You're not too old for TV, books and movies, are you? And most of it is equally as trashy and childish as video games, if you'll attempt to spin the argument in that light.

>>345357580
Then play a few hours a day. No different from watching your favorite TV shows a few hours a day.

Though I've suspected that some people phase out of video games due to the fact that so many just want to vegetate after coming back from work. They're tired and would rather have the entertainment handed to them, than needed to participate in it (even worse in multiplayer games where you really are dealing with children and NEETs screaming at you for losing and the like.) If you have kids, that makes the situation even worse.

That might explain why I see an age gap in MMOs and multiplayer games. I've come across plenty of 50+ people in such genres but it's hard coming across gamers in 30-40's due to life being the most exhausting at this time for so many people.

Overall, OP seems like they're just trying to stir up shitposting or is simply self-conscious about their interests.
>>
>>345360807
Anything really. When i think back on memories i enjoy thinking about its never that level of that mario game i played 12 years ago.

The best memories aren't made playing video games. Its just a waste.

So when i look at my wii u and see ive spent three hundred hours on splatoon i think how i could have spent that time doing much more
>>
>>345361519
Then stop playing it if it doesn't interest you anymore.

Also, can you be bit more specific than "anything really?" Do you really assuming that movies and TV aren't equally as wasteful in this regard?
>>
File: Xenoblade-Landscape.jpg (108 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Xenoblade-Landscape.jpg
108 KB, 500x281
You're not getting too old, it's just that video games aren't novel like they were when you were kid, and everything seems magical when you're a kid. It's difficult to capture that magic again, but try playing something you've never tried before. You discover something so fucking stellar that you can taste it, that sensation you felt so many years ago.

Honestly, before Xenoblade I had never tried out open world RPGs before. At first it just looked like shit to me, but I got interested and bought it. Played it and the feelings I experienced were pure joy. An entirely new and amazing experience.

So go and try something you've never played before.
>>
>>345359905
Naruto is something to be grown out of though. It hits the nerve of a 14 year old and doesn't go beyond that too often.
>>
File: 1456077380186.jpg (314 KB, 1350x1072) Image search: [Google]
1456077380186.jpg
314 KB, 1350x1072
>>345360408
Hes all aboard the trump train, hates racial minorities AND jews and he hated them long before /pol/ was around. Hes probably edgier than the majority of that board
>>
File: sheep.png (77 KB, 480x317) Image search: [Google]
sheep.png
77 KB, 480x317
>>345362486
I still watch the original series every year or so anything after the time lapse I just can't though.
>>
>>345360408
you know /pol/ is an unfiltered, anonymous new source. something that is truly rare in this day and age. regardless, on the subject of older gaming, i'm 29 and fall in and out of fads but I always come back to gaming. i bought a bunch of flash carts and mod chips and i thought they would be like really expensive emulators. i.e., too many choices, too easy to save scum, no drive to finish, but they really are fun. Something about using a physical cartridge with a real controller really makes you think you own the game so there's some kind of honesty about trying to finish or experience the game. If you like mobile gaming, try going back to the real thing, the psp, nds, and 3ds all have great games if you missed those gens.

Just try stuff until something clicks you like and don't force yourself to play anything. you're just going to have to come to terms you won't be able to play some things (fallout 3, fallout NV, and mass effect have been on my back log as long as they have been out)

There's always VR. When i see those games i get as excited as I did when i first saw 3d. we're really entering a new age of digital entertainment and you're in your physical and mental prime so don't be down down, ok?
>>
File: 1405759951370.jpg (39 KB, 400x440) Image search: [Google]
1405759951370.jpg
39 KB, 400x440
>>345355792
>contemplating that video games aren't a productive hobby at 29

>while posting on 4chan at 29

Either way who fucking cares, we all need to escape through menaningless drivel throughout our lives. Just pick your poison and be done with it.
>>
>>345362787
Same
>>
When you die.
>>
File: 07e.jpg (364 KB, 1127x1600) Image search: [Google]
07e.jpg
364 KB, 1127x1600
>>345362486
I notice that i myself have grown out of naruto. The war arc around after the kabuto vs itachi and sasuke was the last battle that sparked my intetest. I can't even stand playing the storm games anymore. I just look at all the terrible dojins of have of the naruto female characters i have saved and laugh at myself for collecting them.

>"i got a hard donger over a pathetic hokage". Meh hinata and tsunade was my first actual waifu back in my early teen days lol.
>>
>>345355792
Never. But there are times and ages where people phase in and out of them. 30's tends to be age where most people fade out of it for a while on account of their lives, careers, marriages, children, etc being so stressful and crucial during this time.

Seeing as you're 29, you're approaching the age where you won't have nearly as much time for them anymore, so your brain tries to trick you into think that you've grown out of it, or that it isn't worth what little free time you do have left.

You might come back when you approach your mid forties though. Or maybe you're just experiencing a gaming burnout.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.