[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did people actually miss the leveling experience in Vanilla/TBC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: 1432653155210.png (2 MB, 1479x2277) Image search: [Google]
1432653155210.png
2 MB, 1479x2277
Did people actually miss the leveling experience in Vanilla/TBC WoW?

What was so exciting about grinding boar meat for some NPC or grinding the same dungeon multiple times for a CHANCE to get a piece of gear?

Can some oldfag WoW player please help me understand why people praised this type of game design so much?
>>
I don't miss the leveling experience, I miss the community.
The way players interacted with each other was different in old MMOs.
>>
>>345329634
The peak for me in lvling was going priest and taking that Wand specialization in the disc tree. It was the peak of gameplay for me because I am mentally retarded and can't bother with more damage spells.
>>
>>345330006
How is any different from say FFXIV?
>>
>>345329634

The core difference was that the vanilla and tbc leveling experience was built around exploring and socializing. You could not effectively complete the game without talking to other players.

Now you are encouraged to get to max level and then queue up and kill the end boss for epics. No talking or socializing needed.

It feels empty. The game used to encourage meeting and talking to other players. Not just the leveling, the entire game. Getting epics was a secondary goal.
>>
Her ass is too big.
>>
Where is her penis??
>>
>>345330161
FFXIV has no factions or world pvp.
>>
>>345330273
>Her ass is too big.
>too big.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>345330273
It's not really her ass, it's her hips/thighs/legs. Look at them.
They're completely out of proportion.
But my dick thinks it's okay, so it's fine.

>>345330330
This though. Draenei are best with massive cocks alongside their massive hips 'n tits.
>>
>>345330273
>Her ass is too small
FTFY
>>
>>345330161

It's not really any different. Most oldschool gamers just grew up to be tired and bitter.
>>
>>345330273
>too
>big
>>
>>345329634
Why the hell is her tail a stump?
>>
>>345329634
1: The socialization that you basically had to engage in to level with any amount of efficiency. You had to band together with other fags to actually get anything noteworthy done.
2: When you finally got that level/Gear, it felt SO. FUCKING. SATISFYING.
3: The fact you had to actively explore and go to more than just one zone to get past your current bracket. This could be a pro/con for some. But I liked the exploration factor. It's never the same after the first time though.
>>
File: 1410196873452.jpg (24 KB, 339x318) Image search: [Google]
1410196873452.jpg
24 KB, 339x318
>>345330365
>>345330476
>>345330687
>niggers
>>
>>345330776
>Ireland
>>
WoW is literally 90% of gamers first real MMO. So of course they will look back fondly at it just like normies whose first turn based game was Pokemon.
>>
>>345330273
Get out of here Ireland.
>>
>>345330358
grand companies
>>
>>345329634
I'd lock legs around her obscene ass while she pounds my own with her meaty, veiny horsecock.
>>
File: Ireland.gif (2 MB, 250x226) Image search: [Google]
Ireland.gif
2 MB, 250x226
>>345330776
>>
>>345329634
Tits too small.
>>
>>345331259

Fag. Big ass with small tits is patrician.
>>
>>345329634
Leveling was slower paced. You could finish an entire zone of quests, and miss some levels to start doing next one. Most of time, you were questing in several zones at once, which was tedious and not that common because...

...Because you had that friend list of guys you could run dungeons with. And it wasn't just "run a dungeon - get 2 levels". Running dungeons were mostly for gear, rather than leveling, but it was a nice breather to socialize with some people and take a break from grinding quests. Now, you do a dungeon once - and immediately move to another.

In summary:
Modern WoW 1-100: Grind dungeons, or grind zones solo, or queue for pvp, done in a week.
Vanilla WoW 1-60: Grind quests, and do dungeons, and group quests, will take you about 3-4 weeks.
Right now endgame is all there is, you barely level anymore. Back then, leveling was half of experience.
>>
Yo, where the blue horsecocks at?
>>
>>345330161
>>345330517
This isn't nostalgia, you can go and experience the difference on a private server to this very day. There were less quests overall, but they took way longer and were a pain in the ass to do by yourself, especially if you were a certain class like priest or warrior. So what ends up happening is that it becomes extremely beneficial to group up with other people and to work on a quest together. In MMOs now quests are so easy and fast that you don't need other people, and those other people even become a minor annoyance.

Not only that, but you might end up spending a few DAYS in the same zone. You'll end up seeing the same people a few times, and if you've grouped up with them before, it might even be a bit of a reunion. If you were on a PvP server, you'd be constantly fighting with others over certain areas.

Dungeons were huge as well. It took a decent amount of time just to get a group together. Some of that was waiting, time you spend talking with your group usually. Then once you finally get in, the dungeons themselves also take a decent amount of time. And since dungeons were only for gear and not a fast XP grind, nobody was in a huge hurry. There was time to goof around and chat with people.

In a way, old questing and dungeons are kinda shit on paper. But they have these side effects that really make them way more fun than modern questing/dungeons. These are the things Blizzard has stripped away over the years.
>>
File: nostal.jpg (270 KB, 800x1038) Image search: [Google]
nostal.jpg
270 KB, 800x1038
>>
>>345331672

>So what ends up happening is that it becomes extremely beneficial to group up with other people

lol vanilla wow was about as casual as you could get back then what the fuck are you talking about you dumb fuck?
>>
>>345331791
>burgers and fish sticks
what kind of combination is that
>>
>>345329634
Its nostalgia goggles. The gameplay and design was shit, the community is what sold it.

Stats were broken and noone knew what they did, whole specs and sometimes classes were useless and the gear was awful. Nobody knew how to effectively use their class and spell/ability rotations were a mystery. Nobody had fast mounts and flying was unheard of, so the slow ass pace everyone moved around made the world seem gigantic.

None of this mattered because you were still questing with your bros. Who cares that you're running that dungeon for the 40th time this week when you're doing it with the first guild you've ever joined, creating memories that are going to stick with you until you eventually quit the game yourself.

You will always remember the first Purple item you got (Zul'Thraze The Lasher, in my case). Especially since many of them required some pretty epic questing or raiding to obtain in the first place.

BC fixed a lot of bullshit and smoothed out the game experience in a great way. It was probably my favorite time of the game based on the quality of the community, especially since people had shit figured out by then and we could work on the process of actually getting gud, not fumbling around like blind children with mechanics we didn't understand.

I will always maintain that the worst thing to happen to WoW was the Arena. It encouraged the wrong sort of player to be in the game; the impatient anti-social shitters that care more for Titles and K/D than achieving an objective, who take pleasure in ganking and trolling low level players and shitting up the official forums in an attempt to become 'e-famous'.

Badges, LFD (X-realm i concede is not all good), talent changes, summoning stone changes, flying mounts and all that are just things that introduced efficiency to things that were unnecessarily time consuming, but the Arena is directly responsible for dumping a flood of toxic players into the community that brought everything else down.
>>
>>345331672

No that all pretty much sounds like nostalgia. You can wait around in any MMO and talk to people.
>>
The problem with leveling in games like WoW is that it makes the whole thing feel like less of a "world". Iconic lore landmarks and towns don't carry the importance they deserve because anything that isn't in the most recent expansion is soon leveled out of and then ignored. They made a whole manga about the Ghostlands, and yet in the game nobody gives a shit about some 10-20 newbie zone. Not to mention only like two major cities in each faction are ever populated because all the others lack certain commodities like portals.

It would take an extraordinary amount of work, but I feel like Azeroth would feel more natural if someone just removed levels altogether (or scaled then down to 20 or so). You'd still quest for faction rep or that missing piece to your transmog set, but if you let players go where they WANTED to instead of HAD to, it would make exploring a big part of the game again.
>>
File: 1468710946691.png (361 KB, 473x675) Image search: [Google]
1468710946691.png
361 KB, 473x675
Is Diablo 3 good
>>
>>345332305
Post the whole picture or tell me the artist at least
I'll suck your dick clean,brotha.
>>
>>345331884
I don't know what you're trying to say. Needing to group up doesn't make the game hardcore. The quests were just often way faster in a group and you'd spend less time eating/drinking or could pull more enemies.

>>345332367
Like I said, you can still do these things in Private servers. I played a lot of Nostalrius before it was shut down and those are just my experiences from a few months ago.
>>
>>345329634
leveling and having high levels meant something, now it's just a chore you get it over with to start getting heroic dungeons gear
>>
Seriously, where are the huge horsecocks at?
>>
>>345329634
I liked exploration. Never did any grinding, only for alts.
>>
>>345332305
source?
>>
It was so much more than grinding. Well, it was exactly that, but there was plenty of things that made the grinding more than tolerable.

The biggest thing was the community. The social aspect of the game made it what it was. I have so many pre-TBC memories (WoW was my first MMO and one of my first ever online gaming experiences) just leveling up. A huge potion of my best WoW experience occurred in the level 15-50 range where I had just met people that just wanted to explore and experience the game with me.
>>
>>345332497
john doe
check out his stuff on exhentai there's more on there than on paheal idk where else to check i didn't look on any boorus yet
>>
>>345332505

>Like I said, you can still do these things in Private servers.

You can still do these things in every single MMO out there, too. You just attribute it to a single game due to nostalgia.
>>
I just miss the days of high school where I didn't have to work at all to get good grades and could play wow all evenings and weekends

it's also all about the first time experience

I go back to wow sometimes on woltk but it's not the same anymore
>>
>>345329634
The worldbuildibh made you feel that you were accomplishing something

Your first 1-60 run, where everything was new and you were grasping the combat and exploration while reading the story and lore was great
>>
>>345332367
Would people in any mmo talk back? And no, you can wait, it doesn't mean that you have to. You do realize that modern mmo games are not actually multiplayer in the true meaning of that word? They're a singleplayer themepark experience with an optional coop.
>>
whose the artist of that picture?
>>
>>345332697
You really can't. Like I said, quests are so easy and fast now that nobody wants to. There's really no reason to either, it's just a hassle at that point. Same with dungeons.
>>
>>345329634
The world was populated, the slow leveling meant the gear you found was meaningful and not just something that got replaced five minutes later, normal dungeons required actual cooperation and CC, even in normal leveling you could benefit a lot from teaming up. Notably the world was also populated by the opposing faction.

It was just much more of its own experience, rather than just a race to get to max level.
>>
>>345329634
It was a product of the time. I leveled my current main during TBC (Undead Mage) and it just felt more intresting.

Quests were less streamed along and coherent. Instead of trying to tell a large story of a zone, it was more help the people and occasionally a big story was around. Lower dungeons also were interesting, I remember picking up a purple witch hat from Uldaman and getting jokes from the group for it's appearance. That doesn't happen nowadays.
>>
>>345332834

>Would people in any mmo talk back?

Based on personal experience, yeah. Have you ever tried talking to people? Or do you just have this autistic headcannon that everyone is as anti social as you are?
>>
>>345329634
What are you talking about? Dungeons were occasional treats during levelling that took hours to prep for and complete, often only with the help of someone who had run it before. Running ST, SFK and Gnomer was some of the most fun I had in a video game. Quests were sometimes grindy I suppose but there was always mystery to the levelling experience and exploring much larger zones, finding random quests leading into quest chains in the middle of nowhere, progressing from town to town much more quickly, giving a feeling of progression and exploration beyond levelling.

Now it's just go to quest hub, do quests until quest line ends then move to next hub as directed, or just grind dungeons on dungeon finder. End game is better in some senses now and competitive PVP is much better, but the levelling experience and the feeling of grandeur in the WoW universe (although a large part of that was accomplished by how difficult travel was) has been lost.
>>
>>345333043
And based on my personal experience it's the opposite. So it's your word against mine + addition of insults that you think will reinforce your position.
>>
the game back then was decent though not as good as many people say out of nostalgia. What made it great was community and the fact that most of our lives were free of worries, letting us enjoy games instead of feeling that they're just escapism
>>
File: pDx4OYB.jpg (46 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
pDx4OYB.jpg
46 KB, 650x488
>>345332686
I love you.

A deals a deal, anon
Drop your pants
>>
>>345332889

Yes, you can. The only difference is one game is forcing you, and another game isn't.

Surprise surprise, losers who spent 90% of their teen life playing MMOs can't handle it when they're not forced to socialize.
>>
>>345332697
you "can" talk to people, but there's no reason to. That's an important difference. When people have a reason to talk, they're more understanding to being talked to, and groups form. When there's no need, you end up being annoying. An mmo definitely can encourage or hinder talking.

For me the best example is lfg and battleground queueing. I briefly saw the time before. We'd be about 20 or so people that never met before. We'd sit outside a battleground, waiting, chitchatting a bit. By the time the battle started we all knew each other and fought as a team. I don't even know if we lost or won, and don't care, I had fun. Nowadays you queue, then do whatever you want, until you're ported into the battleground to take it on with a handful strangers.

Same with lfg. I actually met a group wandering near a dungeon, and we decided to join forces and give the dungeon a try. It was exciting. We weren't the perfect 5 people setup, but we were adventurers. A bit later when I was forced to do an lfg dungeon, there was no magic any longer. People were blasting through the dungeon, grinding it for the nth time. I was just following them along, clueless and uninvolved. Haven't bothered with dungeons after that.
>>
>draenei op
>no futa anywhere

what a shit fucking thread
>>
>>345331497
>Running dungeons were mostly for gear, rather than leveling, but it was a nice breather to socialize with some people and take a break from grinding quests.
If you picked up all the quests beforehand running dungeons was still a nice way of getting a ding. At least until like level 40, I can't remember exactly.
>>
>>345329634
sauce?
>>
>>345333280

>you "can" talk to people, but there's no reason to. That's an important difference

Sounds like you're pretty shallow and autistic. Honestly, grow up.
>>
>>345329634
>retarded goatposter doesn't understand why fun things are fun

What a shock.
>>
>>345332686
>that Ben10 picture

thanks dude. My dick just broke my desk
>>
>>345330006

This. Objectively wow was terrible then, but you never have those memorable experiences anymore. Spending 5 hours in a dungeon was possible in Vanilla and you were not guaranteed success.
>>
It wasn't better it was about the same level of quest quality or worse except it was a much bigger grind than it is now which actually made the game better because it encouraged people to work together to reduce the grind, it made you get attached to gear that nowadays you probably wouldn't even bother looting. The game just generally felt like more of an adventure than it does now because you actually had to prepare for things and travel the world instead of just mindlessly following the chain of quests through the world and pushing the group button when you want to blow through a dungeon with no challenge.
>>
>>345333279
It never forced it on you. The game was simply designed to incentivize people to play that way. And now the design is to move people as quickly as possible to the end game while making it a hindrance to try and interact with others. Even if you try and break this yourself, you're going to find a ton of other people declining group invites, staying completely silent, running along to their next quest, etc. It's not the individuals, that's just how the game is now.
>>
Vanilla WoW was so simple that a bot can level from 1-60
>>
>>345333618
But grouping up for lvling didn't "reduce the grind". It added more on it because you got less XP and quest where you had to collect stuff was even more annoying because you had to kill 10x as much just to get 3 boars snouts or something else.
>>
>>345333679
>end game
I'll never understand this, really. MMOs are about the way, not the destination. Unfortunately, the patches Blizzard introduced while I played it made clear they didn't understand it. They actually damaged the quest chains, or outright removed them. They consider the levelling a bit of a tutorial, something to get out of the way to go to the "end game", which to me is the most boring aspect of any mmo
>>
ITT: People playing babby's first MMO wanting their teen years back.
>>
/v/ knows more than I do about the shitty parts of videogames

Why/how did the Draenei futa shit come about?
>>
>>345334061
They should have just got rid of the level system in WoW from day one. They stagnated their game design by designing their content around levels instead of designing their content around each classes unique skills you can accumulate.
>>
>>345334084
I played WoW for about a year in the mid 20s, after having played a handful of free MMOs. I experienced two patches during that time, completely destroying what little was left of exploration. It's not a nostalgia thing, it's a shift in game mechanics
>>
>>345334152

Older degenerates ushering in waves of suggestible young men who are already sexually confused (example: playing a female character).
>>
>>345334245
I don't think people would accept a level-less rpg, mmo or otherwise, though it does sound appealing. I wouldn't mind excessively long level progressions, like maple story had. wow is dense enough that people won't notice the grind for a very long time. Though the more I think about it, the more I'd be interested to see a level-less rpg work out.
>>
File: tumblr_o8vo227qDn1rnubimo2_1280.png (1009 KB, 1179x1686) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8vo227qDn1rnubimo2_1280.png
1009 KB, 1179x1686
>>345333374
SunnySundown

I hope you like ponies
>>
>>345329634
That pic is fucking disgusting
>>
>>345330776
Why does liking curvy women automatically mean you're a damn nignog on here?
>>
>>345332546
This, I need me some big ol' horsecock.
>>
>>345334838
>curvy
You have some weird definitions of words
>>
>>345334494
I like them very much.
>>
>>345334838
That draenei isn't curvy, she's grotesque
>>
File: 1461869100059.png (342 KB, 732x1920) Image search: [Google]
1461869100059.png
342 KB, 732x1920
>>345335087
k
>>
>>345329634
what is so exciting about getting out a credit card and hitting max level in an hour
>>
>>345334245
do you know any RPGs without levels?
>>
>>345335186
idk, tell that to the people who bought level 60 accounts in vanilla wow.

with how easy it was to bot in the game, it was cheap too.
>>
>>345335181
I'm glad you understand
>>
>>345335239
Do VNs count?
>>
>>345330776
fuck you nerd, i love big plump asses and i'm as white as the driven snow
>>
>>345335186

A lot of the draw of playing an MMO is to show off to people. The 'satisfaction' that most people felt when completing a difficult task in an MMO wasn't because the reward was good (Oh goody I can do more damage even though I already did the hardest content in the game!) it was that other people would know you accomplished something.
>>
>>345335239
There's always "levels" within a RPG even if they are hidden from the player. But what I'm saying is that WoW could benefit from a horizontal progression system instead of a vertical progression system. Not everything in PvE has to be about reaching the level cap or increasing your average item level number.
>>
File: Blowout soon onii-chan.jpg (483 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Blowout soon onii-chan.jpg
483 KB, 1920x1080
>>345335239
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
>>
>>345335403
no, not for this. It should still retain some RPG mechanics
>>
>>345334152

They have hooves. Hence, horse cock.
>>
>>345335523
Someone clearly fucked a monkey in your ancestry
>>
>>345335529
>The 'satisfaction' that most people felt when completing a difficult task in an MMO wasn't because the reward was good
that sounds so alien. I mean, doing something in an rpg for the reward? That's it? minmaxers confuse the hell out of me
>>
File: tumblr_nuhuf4lUzb1rnubimo2_1280.png (272 KB, 888x1417) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuhuf4lUzb1rnubimo2_1280.png
272 KB, 888x1417
>>345335363
Yeah.
>>
>>345335535
sure, feel free to just hide them. I'm looking for RPGs (single player preferred) that do that, because it sounds really interesting
>>
>>345335683
good reminder. It's on my to-play list. I did start it, actually. Got terrible vertigo within 20 minutes. I really don't want to disable head bobbing though.
>>
>>345334152
Draenei are perfection

So an artist will put multiple Draenei together in a single piece (to not spoil the perfection with non-perfect characters)

Usual lesbian stuff is really boring

So as a result, masterpieces are spawned with the use of futa on female

but then degenerates come over and keep the futa part without the normal female that must come with it to keep things in order

it's like building the roman empire and letting barbarians in because you conquer them and then they end up fucking things up
>>
>>345335857

Think about it; why do you think achievements became so popular for games? It's because a task is recognized, despite being wholly useless, and so people will do it.
>>
>>345334494
>>345335181
>>345335948
Please vacate the premises with your /d/ shit
>>
>>345335948
>>345335181

These pictures are reminding me of why I stopped going on Second Life.

Overrun with spics and niggers
>>
>>345331884
What are you talking about? Depended a lot on your class. If you were anything but a Rogue, Hunter, or Warlock leveling solo sucked bigtime for a significant chunk of the game. A lot of quests, even ones that weren't designated as group quests, were massive pains in the ass since there wasn't any way for a lot of those classes to take on multiple enemies at once until higher levels. Especially Priests and Warriors, I wouldn't wish leveling those solo on anyone.
>>
>You'll never live long enough to get a VR Draenei GF with a heavenly squid pussy
>>
>>345335948
Onepiece swimsuits look much better when they are packing
>>
>>345329634
I enjoyed it and still nostalgia over it but looking back the game has always been shit. The only good part of it was getting to play in a world full of other players to do stuff with. They pad it out with tedious bullshit in order to keep you paying the sub. And the game is still full of tedious grindy bullshit but they gutted the social aspects so it's not worth playing at all now.
>>
>>345335971
PSOBB and Path of Exile are examples of horizontal progression games if you want to try them out.
>>
>decides to play Everquest on Steam because it's free
>I'm having fun even in the tutorial
I like that they throw a lot of spells at you that you wouldn't ever really see in more modern MMOs like spells that create light or spells that can charm specific creatures or point you in the general direction of one. I guess I miss classes more having flavor to them.
>>
>>345336740
>PoE AKA "go with the build or get kicked out
>>
>>345336245
>why do you think achievements became so popular for games?
they free the player from playing the game. You can probably imagine I'm not a friend of achievements
>>
>>345332853
Sundowner
>>
File: tumblr_nlszpmysCK1rnubimo1_1280.png (633 KB, 1276x1869) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nlszpmysCK1rnubimo1_1280.png
633 KB, 1276x1869
>>345336320
>these butts
>/d/

???
>>
>>345335857
If you do a really long questline in order to get a good weapon is the satisfaction from getting the weapon or the stat boost it gives you?
>>
>>345336921
Modern MMOS are "too efficient" for this shit. I'd go as far as saying the minmaxing endgamers would shit on a game for including "superfluous" things like that. That's a bit of a general problem with MMOs. Two very different crowds, that need different games.
>>
>>345336921

Man that sounds great. Some utility and crowd control instead of 22 different skills on how to maximize DPS.
>>
>>345336931
With the way the game works, there is no best build. Each build has a weakness/strength.

Like a player who specs into lifesteal and AoE damage can become a great multitarget tank, but in single target encounters they are utter shit.
>>
>>345337137
neither, I don't do quest lines for the rewards
>>
>>345337145
MMOs weren't all about hardline stats and the endgame until Tigole poopsock'd Everquest to death.
>>
>>345337109
One of their upper legs is bigger than their entire upper body
>>
>>345337253
I don't mind endgame MMOs. They are perfect for the minmaxers. My problem is only the lack of choice. The minmaxer MMOs kind of won over the RPG MMOs, which is why we have this Vanilla vs. current day WoW chasm
>>
File: grilled-shrimp-cl-1634791-x.jpg (31 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
grilled-shrimp-cl-1634791-x.jpg
31 KB, 300x300
>>345336647
How do you know they have squid pussies?
Honestly, squid pussies sound delicious, i can already picture myself barbecuing squid pussies and slap some mayoketchup on it, slurp.
>>
>>345334494
they're ok
>>
>love draenei
>don't love horse cocks
>all draenei art has horse cocks
Fuck my life
>>
>>345333232
read it as "drop your penis" and all i heard is a wet flop sound as it fell on the floor in my head
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-17+at+01.29.56).jpg (11 KB, 215x132) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-17+at+01.29.56).jpg
11 KB, 215x132
>>345333394
>>
>>345337381
Vanilla was a minmaxer MMO to an extent, only like 1-5% of guilds ever saw Naxx 40.
>>
It was undeniably slow, but at the same time the focus was not "aww shit, I need to get to max level ASAP." It was about the community experience.

I don't think you'll get that same feeling in any MMO anymore, not even a Vanilla WoW server.
>>
>>345337475
>mayoketchup
It's called fry sauce you philistine.
>>
>>345329634
leveling is a MINOR part of the game in wow. it doesn't matter how good or bad it is in the current game because you spend the majority of your time at max level, doing gear check treadmills.

Wow could make the most epic fun levleingn experience in the history of mmo's, and it won't matter shit because you'll spend 6+ months more sitting at max level grinding macguffin currencies and raids.
>>
>>345337682
only few people saying a certain dungeon is a good example of it not being a minmaxer MMO. In a minmaxer MMO that stuff would be widely available and grinded regularly, in order to optimize the skills and gear, while in an RPG MMO it would be a rare thing, seen only by a few mortals, that managed to become legendary. Like, in game legends, people talked about at the camp fire, people you bow to when you meet them (and you do meet them)
>>
>>345337857
Naxx wasn't seen by anyone because it was locked behind a massive grind wall that only the most hardcore minmaxers got over.
>>
>people who have never played UO reminiscing about 'the good old days' of MMOs

zoz
>>
>>345337971
have you read anything I said?
>>
>>345338037
>zoz
This made me laugh more than it should
>>
>>345337971
In addition to the incredibly tedious material/pot grind, it was difficult to coordinate 39 other people to do the same thing and also have all your schedules open to raid (some people got kids, work, school, and other things that take priority over a video game)
>>
>>345338042
I think we have different definitions of minmaxing. I mean the most hardcore players who plan everything out meticulously and play a very specific way in order to maximize performance.
>>
>>345338037
nobody's talking about the good old days of MMOs. It's exclusively about WoW and the development it went through, as well as how it affected other MMOs of its time.
>>
>>345337768
Now I know, thanks
>>
File: 1447280087572.jpg (21 KB, 450x228) Image search: [Google]
1447280087572.jpg
21 KB, 450x228
>>345330776
t.ireland
>>
>>345338148
That's not fat, that's a fucking disease
>>
>>345338148
NAME, HOLY SHIT DICK IS ON FIRE!!!
>>
>>345338147
right, it was supposed to be an epic event. Of course it should be difficult to coordinate. It's not meant to be for everyone

>>345338186
I mean people that don't care about the game itself and will deliberately do out-of-character things to optimize their things, while also closely competing with people doing the same. I don't think a minmaxer gains satisfaction from being the only one on top. They need to prove they're better than the next best person. Being the only one that does something just kind of doesn't do it.
>>
>>345338148
not thick enough
>>
>>345337857
those never work because gear that rare just breeds betrayals and pariahs as the people who had said weapon usually used everything underhanded to get it, and if they got it by pure NG half the community would resent them as a lucky undeserving shit.

Old wow the problem was for a lot of classes gear just didn't have the stats they neede din reality (shamans) modern wow literally is min maxed (you have a dps stat, and your hp amounts tat, then at max level these grow slower and you play with nit pick stats fo various worth depending on class)
>>
>>345338037

I played UO. It was pretty awful.
>>
>>345335948
>>345335948
>>345335948
How much does she lift???
>>
>>345338147
Naxx was entirely a hard core raider troll originally massive consumable check for loatheb, the needing to basically completely regear your priests to maximize MC time for instructor, require around 4 fully geared mini parties for the Horsemen etc.

Naxx was itself more preparation checks/prep grinding.
>>
File: tumblr_nuhuf4lUzb1rnubimo1_1280.png (262 KB, 896x1357) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuhuf4lUzb1rnubimo1_1280.png
262 KB, 896x1357
>>345338574
I dunno, ask her Orc fitness trainer.
>>
>>345338148
/d/ has fat threads you dumb fuck
>>
>only reason you're going to watch Blizzcon is in hope they finally announce legacy realms

I know it won't happen but still. I want to play it so badly even after I "cleared" the content on Nost. It's just so much fun
>>
>>345335948
>>345338696
I think I recognize these ridiculous hips.
>>
>>345329634
Yes. I would like if heirlooms age completely removed.
>>
File: tumblr_o8vo227qDn1rnubimo1_1280.png (750 KB, 1179x1686) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8vo227qDn1rnubimo1_1280.png
750 KB, 1179x1686
>>345338706
The only thing that's fat here are the asses. And that is vanilla as fuck.
>>
>>345338696
orcs are disgusting and degenerate

>>345338713
I'm very much afraid blizzard won't ever do it
I returned to wow because a friend wanted me to join nost but then we both ended up stopping before they crashed the server
I decided to go back to woltk which was the wow I played in my old days
>>
>>345338912
>The only thing that's fat here are the asses
Well you're clearly not from /d/
>>
>>345338912
>actually has indian nose
My dick is happy with this symmetry fan art
>>
>>345339065
or you could you know, MOVE THE FUCK ON.

Stop trying to relive the past by clinging to increasingly nostalgia corrupted memories. You had your fun in WoW, it passed leave the game to die the death in the bed it made.
>>
File: tumblr_o7edmyQ8ye1rnubimo1_1280.png (542 KB, 1006x1080) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7edmyQ8ye1rnubimo1_1280.png
542 KB, 1006x1080
>>345339080
>Well you're clearly not from /d/

Apparently you aren't either since you think these asses are /d/core
>>
>>345339346
if people can still have fun playing old expansions why should they be left to die?
>>
>>345334494
>applejack in mercy's armor
>>
>>345332428
this is a flaw in pretty much every themepark MMO ever which is why I don't like them. Compare it to a game like runescape where you regularly go back to low level areas even for high level quests. I don't know why RS is like not but I always felt like most areas had a purpose.
>>
Actually yes,

whenever I feel down I listen to this and puts me in a good place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNZHsfdfXzo
>>
I feel like since /trash/ and /aco/ opened up, the average board quality took a nosedive
>>
File: 2nkuv0x.jpg (135 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
2nkuv0x.jpg
135 KB, 1440x900
>>345339772
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTJbhw-6fws
Ironforge was the comfiest Alliance city.
>>
>>345339602
because all you are doing is sitting in a shit pile and refusing. to move forward.

you are just sitting in stagnation refusing to let time and reality move on. I'm not going to shit on you liking a specific era of the game, or it being your fondest memory but LET IT DIE.

you aren't' goign to relive your fond memories, you are just going to ruin them over time constantly trying to revive a dead horse.
>>
>>345340014
if the direction something is heading in is bad, is moving forward really a good idea?
>>
>>345339897
Containment boards don't actually remove shit, they ensure it always exists within the infrastructure/
>>
>>345334838
Because they are overwhelmingly ass men who's only standard is "BIGGER."

A tight, toned shapely butt to them is inferior to one that is 98% fat but bigger.
>>
File: i feel it.jpg (194 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
i feel it.jpg
194 KB, 500x369
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyQiK8cGCHw
>>
>>345340014
You realize people talk about old games on this board all the time and there's an entire board dedicated to retro games. The only thing that makes WoW different from them is that it's being constantly updated which if the sub numbers are anything to go by most people don't like. Nothing wrong with replaying an old game or someone experiencing and old game for the first time. If Blizzard had their way nobody would ever again know what vanilla was really like.
>>
>>345340014
It's no different than playing an older game in a series instead of its sequels really. The difference is for older versions of an MMO is you need to run it on a private server, you can't just pop the disc in and play the same game you used to.
>>
>>345340161
when it's moving in a direction you don't want, you LEAVE.

you owe WoW nothing, you are not indebted to WoW. when it becomes something you don't want to play, you move to other pastures.
>>
>>345339772
>tfw you genuinely miss when the Night Elf run was a thing people had to go through to get to Stormwind
That kind of shit really helped the world feel alive, like it was a rite of passage Night Elves had to go through to get to the Eastern Kingdoms. Sure you could probably get someone high level that's hanging out in Darnassus to give you a portal to Stormwind but that's the pussies way out.
>>
Still dont see any juicy futadicks.
>>
>>345339065
>won't ever do it
If they won't I'm just going to start on another private realm. Didn't even mind losing my t2 priest with the ZG tiger on Nost and would gladly start all over again.
>>
File: patrick retarded.jpg (37 KB, 460x315) Image search: [Google]
patrick retarded.jpg
37 KB, 460x315
>>345340651
>I love Game 1
>Oh no, I don't like Game 2
>Guess I should never ever play Game 1 again
Man if you don't like vanilla WoW or whatever that's fine, but if you're seriously incapable of seeing why people would want to play it still instead of the newer versions you might have autism.
>>
File: 1461500371839.jpg (176 KB, 770x711) Image search: [Google]
1461500371839.jpg
176 KB, 770x711
>>345340651
Sorry, forgot my picture*
>>
>>345341042
because you don't want to 'just' play that game 1, you want to play 'that' game at 'that' specific moment 'you' deign was it's best.

You want to pretend that that specific moment ogf game code in asocial game experience will somehow magically fix years and years of degradation in community, and the magic will return.

you want nothing more than to sit in your version of a hugbox, smugfacedly pretending everything after didn't happen.
>>
File: 1440543779379.png (626 KB, 1123x1519) Image search: [Google]
1440543779379.png
626 KB, 1123x1519
>>345340717
>always did the Night Elf run with lvl 5-10
>mfw properly leveling for the first time through Darkshore, Ashenvale and Stonetalon Mountains on Nost

Sure, I had to grind a bit but the questflow with all that lore was a blast
>>
>>345341516
The leveling zones for Alliance/Nelves was pretty fucking great, it's just a shame that until TBC Night Elves were the only Alliance race that started in Kalimdor.
>>
>>345341491
I haven't touched WoW since I stopped playing sometime during WotLK
But you can believe whatever makes you happy anon, follow your dreams.
>>
>>345341672
Nelf quests were garbage

>Horde is cutting down trees, killing your druids and sentinels, hunting your favoured animals
>so here's some quests killing Furbolgs or whatever
>>
>>345341976
But the Furbolgs were heavily corrupted and you had to deal with them before they became an even bigger issue.
>>
>>345329634
Real Talk yall
Who here just plays for the ERP now?
>>
>>345342125
the game has barely any RP functions
>>
>>345342125
You could be playing Second Life instead of WoW. The game has built in ERP features, content creation similar to steam workshop, and is actually free to play.
>>
>>345342067
And the Horde was fucking with the forest, its inhabitants and the Nelves themselves

It was hot shit written by people who apparently skipped WC3
>>
Where do the nostalgiafags play now that nost is kill

I tried going to /wpsg/ but they're all arguing against each other
>>
>>345342125
ERP fags fuck off, no one wants your shit in MMOs
>>
>>345329634
the community, the inmersion in the game with other people, there was only 2-5 blacksmither in the game with a certain recipe, you were special, the whole server it was like a school were everybody knew everybody

why is pokemon go a hit? the community, the people, the inmersion
>>
>>345342868
ffxiv

ignore any group or guild that even mentions 4chan
>>
>>345329634
>Not posting the superior, less fat legged futa version.
Fuck off OP.
>>
>>345343817
He's a nigger, what're you gonna do
>>
File: 1445020630930.jpg (11 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
1445020630930.jpg
11 KB, 258x195
>>345343817
>futa
Might as well ask for scat edits.
You have an entire board for your shitty fetish.
>>
>What was so exciting about grinding boar meat for some NPC or grinding the same dungeon multiple times for a CHANCE to get a piece of gear?
That's exactly what you do now post-cataclysm, but now it's devoid of any challenge or social interaction.
>>
>>345344057
How do you fap if you hate dicks so much?
>>
>>345342194

>Call game an MMORPG
>No roleplaying functions

???
>>
>>345342868
Kronos

They have some dumb shit like donor mounts(even allowing people to get mounts from the opposite faction) and the servers can be pretty unstable sometimes, but it's well-populated and isn't game-breakingly buggy.

Still better than retail, though.
>>
>>345344410
The same way you live with yourself while being a massive faggot.
>>
>>345344467
what role playing functions are in the game? Last I checked just the action command and a bunch of gesture emotes
>>
>>345344615
You didn't answer my question
>>
>>345344796
>put dicks on everything for no reason
>why do you hate dicks?
>>
>>345344592
>donor anything
into the fucking trash, don't understand why Blizzard hasn't shut down fucks who obviously make money from a stolen IP.
>>
>>345345259
>for no reason
But there is a reason
>>
>>345345618
Your unconditional unwarranted faggotry?
>>
File: 1458228657651.gif (134 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
1458228657651.gif
134 KB, 340x340
>>345345757
To make insecure spergs like you blow their lid
>>
>>345329634
PROGRESSION
>>
>>345345885

Being secure in your homosexuality isn't any different from someone being secure in their heterosexuality.
>>
>>345346023
Homos hate futa, try again
>>
>>345329634
>Can some oldfag WoW player please help me understand why people praised this type of game design so much?

Leveling just meant something. It was a rite of passage where you learned a lot about the world you were playing in, and I don't mean from a lore perspective - I just mean you encountered all the same hard parts that everyone else did along the way for the most part. Certain zones with heavy pvp, certain zones with sparse quests or quests that were annoying / difficult for some classes.

It brought you together with other people of your faction because world PVP was still a real thing back then.

It was more work, but it was more rewarding because of it.

Now people throw on heirlooms and can level out of a zone doing 1/4th of the quests there. Or even just doing pet battles or gathering for fuck's sake. Leveling's meaningless to the point you can just buy it.
>>
File: 1468389531722.gif (691 KB, 255x209) Image search: [Google]
1468389531722.gif
691 KB, 255x209
>>345330006
Pretty much this. People were willing to try, be social, and helpful to others. Dungeons weren't guaranteed success, people had to think, use CC and work together to beat difficult challenges. It wasn't uncommon for some groups to go several hours to get through BRD, LBRS, or Strath, and they'd keep trying, and get better at it.

Now people whine and cry if their gear rollercoaster is interrupted by one wipe, or a boss taking more than a minute to kill, the community now is cancerous as fuck.
>>
>>345330163
>Socializing with anyone online in 2016.

Everyone is a meme spouting sperg, especially in wow. Don't feel like hanging out with trade/barrens chat all day.

Its not the game its the people, the game only adapted.
>>
>>345346223
>People were willing to try, be social, and helpful to others
because the game encouraged it

>the community now is cancerous as fuck.
the community is a result of the game removing aspects that attracted a different community. It's a feedback loop
>>
File: 1358266637562.gif (82 KB, 160x158) Image search: [Google]
1358266637562.gif
82 KB, 160x158
>>345329634
>>345334494
>>345335181
>>345335948
>>345337109
>>345338696
>>345338912
>>345339479
THICCER
>>
>>345346274
>Its not the game its the people
the game directly affects the people it attracts or pushes away
>>
>>345331497
>will take you about 3-4 weeks

you mean of ingame /played time right?
>>
>>345346527
People decided to be lazy in the first place. Those teens that played vanilla got jobs and didn't want to come home to grind 24/7 only the neets did. Blizz adapted. Wow's demographic is late 20 year olds - to late 30's.
>>
>>345346782
>People decided to be lazy in the first place
Not really. People were fine, are fine, actually, with Vanilla WoW. When the game got dumbed down, these people left, and the lazy bunch came in

>Blizz adapted
yeah, they decided to attract a different crowd, and now have to deal with the consequences. That's why I said it's the game as much as it's the people. It's a feedback loop
>>
>>345347143

>they decided to attract a different crowd, and now have to deal with the consequences

Like profits and sustainability?
>>
>>345346223
>Now people whine and cry if their gear rollercoaster is interrupted by one wipe, or a boss taking more than a minute to kill, the community now is cancerous as fuck.
no. it has nothing to do with the community
in vanilla the standard, expected experience was hours of struggle. people grouped up and fully expected/prepared to take hours to grind their way through a dungeon
in retail the standard, expected (and intended by blizz) experience is 0 wiping sub 1 minute kill speedrun dungeons. anything longer than that is a bad group.

when wod launched, the best gear you could get (640 ilvl) was from daily challenge mode dungeon clears. people knew they could not do 8 minute gold medal speedruns. they happily spent hours grinding away and wiping at challenge modes because they fully expected and embraced that it would take that long. on top of that, they got meaningful, top of the line gear instead of garbage filler gear to get you into lfr faster. there is nothing wrong with the community. the design of the game has changed.
>>
>>345347619
>Like profits and sustainability?
is it? The new crowd is fickle minded and easily swayed by the next fad. A crowd that requires content to be made constantly. The old bunch was fine with Blizzard providing the environment, and them writing their own stories.
>>
>>345348086
evidence points to the contrary. vanilla had more updates than wod. vanilla was filled with fickle minded retards that needed content made for them constantly. wod is for true autistic scholars who dont need no content
>>
>>345348086

Let me see... 200k loyal people who will pay a subscription, or 8 million whimsical spendthrifts who will pay a subscription every 3 months and buy worthless shit from our item shop.

I wonder which has the most profit, or at the very least, has the most people employed.
>>
>>345348480
>has the most people employed
you want to employ fewer people to be profitable, not more
>>
>>345349227
t. nigger
>>
>>345348480
But WoW pretty clearly has less work being done on it now than it did back during Vanilla and the first few expansions.
>>
>>345348713

Not only is it good from a philanthropist angle to provide decent jobs, but you have some horrible business sense if you think hiring 50 people to keep 8 million people happy is a worse option than having 5 people sustain 200k.
>>
>>345349676
>philanthropist angle
I've been told on /v/ repeatedly how that's bullshit

>5 people sustain 200k
any specific reason you're sticking to the 200k?
>>
>>345349227
Her face is really throwing me off.

Are her eye's sunburnt?
>>
>>345349445
T. Pad oeliger, famine world champion 2005
>>
File: 1364831196330.gif (1007 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
1364831196330.gif
1007 KB, 500x250
>>345332496
It's alright.
>>
>>345350109
>those tits

I mean, I like small torpedo tits but they do not fit widow at all.
>>
>>345350494

You know what else wouldn't fit Widow?

Muh dick
>>
File: STOP.png (179 KB, 1084x688) Image search: [Google]
STOP.png
179 KB, 1084x688
>>345329634
Because now it happens so fast you're thrusted into the queuing game before you really learn anything, not just mechanics but how to be a half decent person online.
I love leveling in games because every once in a while you got something new to enjoy and play around with, the slow pace allowed you to take the game as you please, and enjoy the world around it.
More investment in things that aren't max-level meaning you don't just breeze by the content. In WoW's case most people don't even know about half the world anymore because even without heirlooms you out-level zones before you finish their "main" quest chain for the region.
I love endgame but it's not the end-all, be-all of MMO design and it saddens me when games focus too hard on it.
If GW2 didn't have that GOD AWFUL skill system that is a mockery of the original GW and the Personal Story didn't piss off around level 25 it would've been almost perfect.

In summary, people need to learn that not everything is a race, take your time and ENJOY the fucking game and people with. Developers need to learn to design games to allow this to happen, and honestly MMOs need to die entirely for half a decade or so to get this information overload and anti-social, machine-like attitude with others out of their system.
>>
>>345336967
>they free the player from playing the game.
how so?
>>
>>345357351
without achievements, players will find their own reasons to play a game, be it narrative, or personal drive, think creatively about personal challenges, special things they want to do, without knowing whether it's possible or not, or ways they want to explore and enjoy the game. Achievements remove all that, telling the player exactly what to do, what they can do. Players stop caring about the game itself, and instead just go through their laundry list of to-do tasks, turning the game into a chore instead.

If you're referring to unlisted achievements, they're a bit different. The problem with them is that they deny the player satisfaction for creative exploration. When the player thinks they do something interesting or cool that they thought of, and the game goes "I knew you'd do that", it robs all sense of fun, reminding the player that they're being manipulated by the developer and aren't creatively exploring.
>>
>>345357868

>the game goes "I knew you'd do that"

If you have half a brain you realize that any time the game doesn't crash or break, this is the game going "I knew you'd do that".
>>
>>345358107
that's different. For example an action game won't "crash or break" if you decide to do a no-gun run, there's no reason for it to break. You may not know if it's actually possible, but you can try. When that unlocks an achievement though, the game acknowledges that you were lead on all this time.
>>
>>345329634
I could sit on her seat sitter.
>>
>>345343817
source?
>>
>>345358359

>if you decide to do a no-gun run, there's no reason for it to break

Okay, so it doesn't break, but you can't do it either for some other reason like you absolutely have to kill such and such.

But I'm finding it hard to believe people would be so buttblasted over their special snowflake status being annihilated because some dev decided to acknowledge that 'Why yes in fact you can do this in the game. That's the way it was made,'
>>
>>345359873
>but you can't do it either for some other reason like you absolutely have to kill such and such.
or maybe you don't. That's part of the fun
>>
>>345359115
nvm, found it
>>
>>345360152
now that's a creative troll, well done
>>
>>345360403
but i did anon, it was pretty underwhelming so i didn't post it
>>
>>345330358
Those were the worst parts of WoW.
>>
>>345332697
>You can still do these things in every single MMO out there, too.

FFXIV discourages this for questing because a sizeable chunk of the MSQs force you to solo
>>
>>345335239
Every SaGa game ever.
>>
File: just fuck my shit up.jpg (396 KB, 1085x602) Image search: [Google]
just fuck my shit up.jpg
396 KB, 1085x602
>the vanilla warrior experience
>>
>>345330161
3 posts. It took 3 posts for somebody to fucking mention it.
>>
>>345330273
>irish"men"
>>
>draenei thread
>not a single futa pic
>>
>>345363396
FUCKING LOW LEVEL POISONS WERE BULLSHIT
>>
>>345365676
because its all shitty hip proportion nigger fetish
>>
>>345342125

ERPing in WoW Vanilla is what made me the Futa-loving F-List shitlord I am today. I had so much fun back in those days, finding friends on /v/ who shared kinks so we could roll up alts and just whore around Silvermoon/Goldshire/Whatever. Now I'm obsessed with canon/fanfiction scenes on F-List, which isn't as full of furries as you'd think.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.