[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What will enevitably go wrong with this that will make /v/ drop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: 12.79403_Screenshot.0.png (2 MB, 1867x1050) Image search: [Google]
12.79403_Screenshot.0.png
2 MB, 1867x1050
What will enevitably go wrong with this that will make /v/ drop it instantly?
>>
>>345318173
literally what game
>>
>>345318702
System shock remastered
>>
Optimised for game pad
Shitty graphics
>>
Literally rehashed shit
>>
>>345318173
Nothing, but /v/ hates everything regardless of quality.
>>
I don't see the point of that remake.
>>
>>345319242
Probably mainly to fund systemshock 3
>>
>>345319415

Marketing ploy to attract investors, you mean?

Makes a modicum of sense I guess.
>>
File: ech.jpg (42 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
ech.jpg
42 KB, 770x433
>gender choice

The original devs didn't see it necessary to add it in 1994, so why is it necessary now?
>>
>>345320282

For the very same reasons you need orchestral music, achievements, RPG elements and more death cinematics.

This is a Kickstarter targeting people who love the original so that it can be remade for people who don't.
>>
>>345320282
Why is this a bad thing
>>
This looks fine. Never played SS 1 so I don't give a shit.
>>
>>345318173
>yfw even the UI has chromatic aberration
>>
>>345321045

I don't really see it as a bad thing so much a stupid one at best, manipulative at worst. Unless I missed both a need for and actual implementation of body awareness in that demo, it's just easier to make it so the game never mentions gender at all.

That way the main character becomes an extension of *you*. That's one of the points and strength of the so-called immersive sim.
>>
File: fixed.jpg (1 MB, 1867x1050) Image search: [Google]
fixed.jpg
1 MB, 1867x1050
>>345318173
What is it with games and shitty color filters these days?
>>
>>345321470

Then the protagonist would need to be completely silent, no pain sounds or anything. Hands would need to be androgynous as well.

Bit of a give and take, you get some immersion from a genderless character, but lose it in other places.
>>
>>345318173
It will end up good and people will praise it, which will in turn make /v/ drop it instantly and bombard anyone who says something positive about it with the usual meaningless buzzwords such as shill, cuck, reddit, meme, etc.
>>
>>345318173
It kind of hurts to look at. I bet it will be better in game but all the blur from dof and ca should go.

Hope it has good options
>>
>>345322935
>Then the protagonist would need to be completely silent, no pain sounds or anything.

You're saying it like it's a bad thing.

>Hands would need to be androgynous as well.

You mean not need to be the big lumps of flesh we have for male hands most of the times in games and actually looks like hands? Go forbids that we have a protagonist that does not look like some roïd machine.
>>
>>345323407
Well, traditionally pain sounds are a good form of audible feedback of damage. You're left with, uh. Hud elements, and nobody likes marmalade splattered on the screen.
>>
>>345323669
Not true at all, plenty of games just use hit sounds.

You have the enemies audio to hear the attack and then depending on the attack you either have a smack squish spurt or gush sound on contact.
>>
>>345323669

Never been a fan of either solutions.But in that case, given the horror of the context of the game, I could see a bloody, visibility impairing set up being pretty decent actually.
>>
File: SHOCK001[1].gif (72 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
SHOCK001[1].gif
72 KB, 640x480
>>345320282
I don't care whether they have it or not, and I don't think this is actually relevant to whether it's a good idea, but it's sort of interesting that apparently System Shock had a female protag early in development, when the story was completely different and took place on the asteroid belt or some shit. One of the devs mentioned it in a livestream a few years ago.

>>345322673
The original was pretty damn blue.
>>
It's already gone wrong.

It's literal garbage.
>>
File: 1466969074580.jpg (154 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1466969074580.jpg
154 KB, 960x720
>Avellone
>Original concept artist
>Original SHODAN voice actress
>Seems like they're actually listening to community feed back

I don't know how this'll go wrong, but I still have some apprehensions
>>
>>345324337

Interestingly, it's the oppressive HUD that drives the blue hues way up in that pic. The representation of game space itself has morte teal and green.

That's on thing I've kept thinking playing the demo, I don't think they can replicate the impact that HUD add on perceptions while compromising for modern audiences. Not going to happen.

The original was pretty much a product of its time, and I don't think some of the stuff it did can be replicated, at least not for a mass market product. You'd have to want to be extremely niche from the get go, and it doesn't look this is what this remaster is attempting.
>>
>>345324686
There's basically no hope for the soundtrack, and I think it would be a fuck up if they actually reach the stretch goal for RPG elements.
>>
>Revamped the story to make huge moral insinuations about the progress of humanity

>Transhuman rights
>>
>>345325081
They sent a backer update saying they've listening to complains about the sound track and they're trying to make a comprise between synth and orchestral. Could work
>>
>>345325126
That's dude sex.
>>
>>345325372
"I never asked for th- oh wait, I totally asked for this." *slams 10 chips into forehead*
>>
>>345318173
They add RPG mechanics.

They replace the electronic/industrial soundtrack with an orchestral score.

Nevermind, they're doing both.
>>
>>345325235
Wait wait wait synth is the prefered soundttack and the cheap one but they are still insisting on ochestral? Are they smoking something?
>>
>>345318173
Puzzles dumbed down, which the demo had and killed all my hype.
>>
>>345326481
I can see it working of they mix the two
>>
>>345329357
They hadn't yet recorded a voiceover for the hacker's pre-coma journal entry where he mentions the 451 code, so they just made a bloody wall decal. It'll be gone in the finished version.
>>
>>345330551
Unless they specifically said that they won't touch the puzzle structure, I don't give a shit what some anon posts on /v/. I want that shit untouched, the only thing that needs polishing is visuals and controls, nothing else.
>>
>>345324686
Why does it matter they have Avellone when the game is a remake? What a fucking waste.
>>
>>345323669
Half Life had stuff like suit noises and hit noises.
>>
>>345331418
And camera movement. Hear, see and feel.
>>
>>345322673
>complaining about a faithful remake
kys kiddo
the last thing system shock needs to be is another grey vaseline puddle
>>
>>345318173
If they keep using Unity3d, it will fail for sure. Also, they will mostly focus on combat and less on the extras that make System Shock unique so it'll be seen as a betrayal and hated.
>>
>>345332424
I don't understand the teal thing at all but the color is obviously the material of the wall in the original game rather than the light or (in the case of OP screenshot) a shitty color filter.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.