[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reminder: Open world adventure games are a lost cause.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1399780706454.jpg (41 KB, 650x320) Image search: [Google]
1399780706454.jpg
41 KB, 650x320
Why? Because all Grand Theft Auto games are trash, and all open world adventure games inspired by GTA (read: the entire genre) are trash.

I know, let's design a giant open world and give the player nothing to do except
>Linear scripted (usually unreplayable) missions
>Stupid 'hidden' collectibles, many of which are locked until the post-game so whatever 'super-cool' bonus you get from them is entirely useless for the linear scripted (usually unrepeatable) missions
>Unfun repetitive side tasks for getting currency/items to use in the linear scripted (usually unreplayable) missions
let's do this, and never ever fully diverge from this formula, forever.

Red Dead Redemption? Trash.
Just Cause? Double trash.
Mad Max? Triple trash.
Assassin's Creed? M-m-m-monstertrash, trash, trash.
Sleeping Dogs? 垃圾
Far Cry? Trash Bandicoot.
InFamous? Supertrash.
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain? Unfortunately, trash.
Batman: Arkham? Capetrash.
Mafia? Uber-trash.
Saint's Row? Obnoxious, unrepentant trash.
Watch_Dogs? Oh, you'd better believe it's trash.
Any other games in this genre I haven't bothered to list? So trashy that I didn't even remember them.

It won't get better any time soon, either.
No Man's Sky will be trash.
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be trash.
Ghost Recon: Wildlands will be trash.

All 'open world, scripted mission' games are trash and the open world adventure genre is a garbage heap. Grand Theft Auto III permanently tarnished 3D open world adventure games at a conceptual level and it's unlikely that the genre will ever achieve any real potential.

Unless, of course, anyone here has a substantial and well thought out argument to the contrary?
>>
>>345285714
(you)
>>
>>345285714
why didn't you list FF XV, assmad anon?
>>
>>345286801
That's an RPG.
>>
>>345287230
It's an open world game.
>>
Here's the difference between GTA, Mafia, Saint's Row and all that trash you mentioned: You're not going from point A to point B through empty fields for small doses of the game, the game is happening everywhere.
>>
>>345285714
Saints Row (3+4 at least) clearly doesn't give a shit about being good from a gameplay standpoint, they just fill the game with fun and mindless shit, like japanese gaming show side missions - and I'm totally fine with that
>>
>>345287306
No it's not. The dev team has said as much.
>>
>>345288246
So OP is a delusional weaboo who will be ass ravaged in 2 months time.
>>
The Witcher 3 and Skyrim are both pretty good.
>>
Yeah, I would rather play hallway simulators with 500 hours of cutscenes
>>
i agree open world games are dog shit
>>
File: HaveYouSeenABlackC.png (855 KB, 1073x645) Image search: [Google]
HaveYouSeenABlackC.png
855 KB, 1073x645
This game did it right, down to real time climate as per records from the same year and location.
And then they threw everything into the trash for the sequel.

The comical trash level of localization did not help either.
>>
go back to playing FF13 fucktard
>>
I actually agree with you OP.

I can't fucking believe ANYONE is "excited" for the new Zelda.

All signs point to it being shit.

>Open world
>Pick shit up and craft it together into arrows or some shit
>Stealth elements.

Fuck everything.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.