[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why can't devs make higher difficulties more than just making
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: spoonge.jpg (213 KB, 640x459) Image search: [Google]
spoonge.jpg
213 KB, 640x459
why can't devs make higher difficulties more than just making it so you take more damage and deal less damage but enemies have more health and do more damage?
>>
>>345283726
Because that takes more work than simply adding a preset where the damage and health values of monsters are multiplied.
>>
>>345283726
Because lazy and uncreative! Was that what you wanted to hear?
>>
>>345283726
Because why put in all the work to make a challenging hard mode when most of your shit eating audience won't ever play it?
>>
>>345283726
Some games add new enemies and new areas on top of all that, it is not that bad.
>>
>>345283726
A lot of difficulty choices are added without any thought, a lot of the time by the end of development.
That and a statistics show most people play on easy
>>
>why can't they create an immensely complex AI out of thin air

Probably because they aren't God.
>>
>>345283726
>he cares about the difficulty settings in his game
>>
>>345285159
It doesn't always need to be AI it could be bosses with different move sets, like a boss on easy just has damaging moves, but on hard has buffs, damage, and debuffs.
that or something like in W101 where there are enemy mix ups.
>>
>>345285159
How would it be immensely complex if most ai is worse than it was 15 years ago?
>>
File: Amaterasu Food Critic.jpg (49 KB, 800x596) Image search: [Google]
Amaterasu Food Critic.jpg
49 KB, 800x596
>>345285158
>most people play on easy
Why are these people in my hobby. Why can't they just "play" the game on youtube if they don't want a challenge.
>>
>>345285092
Damage modifiers and enemy placement changes should be the absolute minimum.
Bonus marks for additional moves and faster attack rhythm.
>>
Its harder. That's about it. Some games vary it up but even then its usually still bogged down by you take less booleet to die and they take more. A few tacticool shootan games are exempt but they just clog areas with enemies typically.

This reminds me, did Goldeneye make enemies have more health on the highest difficulty?
>>
>>345285307
Because playing on the hard difficulty requires some skill or time to get gud, both of which not everyone has, especially when most gamers are 30 or whatever, and probably don't have hours and hours to grind to be able to tackle harder modes.
>>
>>345285307
Some people just suck at video games, i know a buddy who plays video games majority of his free time but sucks at everything that's not an fps
others play on easy/normal because they know it doesn't really matter. There are some games i refuse to play on harder difficulties because it's just some tedious boring enemy has a million hp and you have 2 hp shit.
just remember that most people who play video games think dark souls is the hardest game ever made.
>>
File: 1462056575316.png (128 KB, 930x1081) Image search: [Google]
1462056575316.png
128 KB, 930x1081
>>345285307
I've got a buddy who's bought every AAA release since he joined steam ('10 i think) in addition to whatever nerd^3 plays.

Some people are just not our kind of people.

>how many of them has he played
On average gives each one two hours.

Mostly plays Civ 5 (+1000 hrs)
>>
>>345286038
>a buddy
>AAA
>steam
Jesus Christ. Burn that bridge, man.
>>
So, you just want faster and inteligent enemies?
>>
Black 2 White 2 handled Difficulty pretty well, changing the movesets and held items of key opponents, as well as giving them more healing items

it was unlocking the difficulties that was retarded
>>
>>345285274
That would be bad...
The boss you described with a lot of moves is way more interesting than the boss that only does damage

The player that chooses the easy setting should see those things too, it's fun
>>
>>345286453
He's a good guy otherwise. I just don't understand his buying practices. He's also got every hyped indie title except for MN9 which I talked him out of.
>>
>>345285615
I can sort of understand that stance, however the one time I've played a game on easy it was because harder difficulties were not actually more difficult, they simply required more busywork. Not worth it.
>>
>>345283726
Because "smart" human-like AI is costly and difficult to program
>>
>>345283726
too much effort for nothing
>>
>>345287345
No one's asking for that.
>>
>>345287558
What are you wanting beyond multiplied factors then?
>>
A everything dies in one hit mode would be neat. This includes you, and everything is sped up.
>>
They do it all the time. How about you stop playing western AAA trash?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.