[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the fun in being a healer? All you do is heal people,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 19
What is the fun in being a healer? All you do is heal people, everyone else gets to have the fun. Also, you inflict next to no damage and potions are a thing so how can you be of any use to your party?

Why not go for a better class, like a DPS?
>>
>posting a game that expects its healers to dps as well
>>
Maybe some consider it fun healing, boosting their party? I know I do in pso2, although I'm a damage dealer.
>>
>>345255080
you have to be a healslut to understand like my friend.
>>
Some people don't have huge ego's and care about team balance and results.
>>
>>345255080
You really don't understand the satisfaction some people get watching those HP bars go back up to full and putting barriers around your party members. I'd rather do that and buff my party rather than spam click buttons all day as a DPS.
>>
>>345255080

Only the weak doesn't understand the ultimate feeling of controlling life and death
>>
>the philosophy that built GW2

kek that turned out just grrreat.
>>
File: gw frogtions.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
gw frogtions.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
I like to see my war party go forth and destroy supported by my power. If white magic existed, I would be a combat medic. Nothing pleases me more except necromancy, but sadly that's rarely in games.
>tfw gw1...
>>
I have no idea. I'm a tank main, and I notice healers tend to be the most masochistic people - sometimes they possess some semblance of intelligence, too, so maybe it's just a fetish thing for them.

Whatever though, my HP bar gets worked and, specifically in XIV, the holy spam is the shit.
>>
But in FFXIV, healers are DPS classes.
Damage is so low in 99% of content that you'll rarely need to do more than Regen your tank, or let your fairy do the work.

I'm so fucking glad I quit that piece of shit game
>>
>>345255080
i like big numbers, healing lets me make more numbers bigger faster
>>
File: what can i say nigga.gif (1 MB, 291x260) Image search: [Google]
what can i say nigga.gif
1 MB, 291x260
>>345256316
>taking hits is my job
>but healers are masochists
>>
>>345256576
Fair point. It isn't the damage eating that I enjoy, though, it's the free reign over the pace of the dungeon that I like. People listen to the big dudes, and I don't trust randoms to do jack shit right.
>>
File: 1468692269587.jpg (31 KB, 192x452) Image search: [Google]
1468692269587.jpg
31 KB, 192x452
>play ffxiv, expecting to be a good healslut
>everyone in the game is boring
>nobody talks, and everyone is busy doing a quest that they don't even have the time to talk
>either that or everyone is afk
>few days after i get the game, i'm a level 30 conjurer
>i've been soloing every quest
>0 friends
>>
>>345256992
What server, slut?
>>
File: 1454538171443.jpg (27 KB, 544x476) Image search: [Google]
1454538171443.jpg
27 KB, 544x476
>always needed in party, no waiting time
>i control life and death; can let annoying shits die
>no personal danger to myself
>no need to fight over loot because only dps shitters are oversaturated
>>
File: cory in the house of the holy.jpg (29 KB, 295x395) Image search: [Google]
cory in the house of the holy.jpg
29 KB, 295x395
>Tank(-):"I'M THE BOSS, EVERYONE HAS TO LISTEN TO ME, FOLLOW MY MARKS, DO YOUR JOB IDIOT I PLAY YOUR CLASS BETTER THAN YOU"
>Tank(+):"I fight for my friends. If you want to lay a hand on them, you have to go through me."

>Healer(-):"Wah, I love the taste of cocks! I'll support your dick in my mouth, mm! oh someone died i wasn't paying attention too busy whispering gay ERP/talking to my boyfriend about all these betas gifting me stuff"
>Healer(+):"Hey man, heard you got promoted/graduated. Awesome. I'm genuinely happy for you."

>DPS(-): [heavy breathing, complaining mother/crying children in the background, sound of keys being mashed]
>DPS(+): does not exist
>>
File: 1439606465124.jpg (226 KB, 1097x1244) Image search: [Google]
1439606465124.jpg
226 KB, 1097x1244
>>345256992
>there are too many party members for this OBLIGATORY MAIN STORY QUESTLINE THAT WILL NOT LET YOU CONTINUE UNLESS YOU BEAT IT
>TOTAL NUMBER OF PARTY MEMBERS: 2
>REQUIRED MAXIMUM OF PARTY MEMBERS: 1
>PLEASE REDUCE NUMBER OF PARTY MEMBERS TO CONTINUE PLAYING THIS FORCED OBLIGATORY QUEST YOU NEED TO COMPLETE TO CONTINUE
>>
>>345255080
I'm the essence of our party doing well. Without me you are nothing, but if i take a liking to you, i'll make you an unkillable legend.
>>
>>345256992
So what did you expect, that you would magially make friends? This is the reason this board talks about "how terrible mmos are now", cause nobody wants to deal with the unlikable whiners that play these games.
>>
>>345257932
The worst part is the game has the function to keep you in a "shadow party" of sorts since if you queue in duty finder with a friend it puts you two back together afterwards. No reason it couldnt do that for quests too.
>>
You get recognition. 80% of Overwatch games that I play Mercy, I'll get the commendation or someone saying gj. It's just nice.

Plus, SOMEONE needs to do it.
>>
>>345255080
I would rather provide something of value to my team than be another one of the retards who just jump around facerolling their keyboard.
>>
Is there any game where I can just press a button and afk for a few seconds and have progress? Something more meaningful than cookie clicker or something. I would have thought healers or summoners would fulfill that role but nope, all of them gotta be active players. So lame.
>>
>>345257556
Too bad if anything goes wrong everyone immediately blames you.
>>
in eso im a tank/healer templar
its maximum fun just tanking and healing everyone around me
>>
>>345258360
Scholar in FFXIV
>>
>>345258431
Does that even work in endgame stuff?
>>
>What is the fun in being a healer?

Most games are absolutely dependent on having a Healer; while DPS packs the punch everyone needs, they can only do so for so long. For me, healing is fun because I am an integral part to the machine and, in certain games, healers have entirely different mechanics and "dances" that they have to worry about than Tanks and DPS, providing extended fun when I'm not Tanking or playing a DPS. Furtherly, it's funny when some asshat tries to act a fool and I let them die, kick 'em and find a replacement instantly (because DPS is as common as raindrops in a storm).

>Also, you inflict next to no damage

The only class in most games that tends to have any remotely worthwhile healing and DPS capabilities are Paladins, making them the superior class in my opinion, even though I usually play Priests.

>potions are a thing so how can you be of any use

In what MMO does a single heal you for an ample enough amount to genuinely matter? Most genuinely difficult and worthwhile MMOs have scenarios where massive AoEs damage entire parties - no way in fucking hell would everyone chugging a single potion help them out enough to mitigate that.

The fact that you link a picture to that godawful game, have no capability of thinking outside the box of your own interests and think playing the most oversaturated class-format is objectively more fun than other classes leads me to believe that you're autistic (and more autistic than me making this long comment).

7/10, play better games and learn how diversify your gaming experience.
>>
does playing tank in a mmo mean you have to do damn near everything?
it feels that way in ff14
>>
>>345258757
Tanks need to feel like important little snowflakes or they get pissy.
>>
File: 1446283924407.jpg (33 KB, 600x390) Image search: [Google]
1446283924407.jpg
33 KB, 600x390
>tfw submissive masochist healslut gf
>>
>>345255080

That's what I liked about the original PSO's design.

Healing "class" was bound up with the spellcasting class, so wide-area heals and buffs were just a normal part of battle flow while you were blowing the fuck out of stuff.

Supporting your party and keeping them in the game, while also being a powerful, if non-tanky damage contributer, is the way to go.
>>
>>345259090
Games have tried to get rid of the holy tank/heal/dps trinity in the past and it never lasts long.
>>
>>345258569
yes, what you do is max magicka so you can spam heals and buffs to your allies; there is a few guides if you search it up
>>
>>345259090

Come to think of it, City of Heroes also followed that philosophy after Villains was introduced.

It just makes everything better.
>>
>>345258757

FFXIV tanking is by far the easiest of the 3 roles to do well
>>
which is more JOHN FUCKING MADDEN

feral druid or ffxiv monk
>>
>>345259563
monk you nigger
>>
File: 1443428011445.jpg (407 KB, 869x873) Image search: [Google]
1443428011445.jpg
407 KB, 869x873
>>345259279

>City of Heroes

Why am I constantly reminded that it no longer exists? Why did such a wonderful game have to die?
>>
>>345259772
Because NCSoft wanted to push GW2.
>>
File: 1468650748287.jpg (228 KB, 766x473) Image search: [Google]
1468650748287.jpg
228 KB, 766x473
>>345255080

>Following the same boring rotation as a DPS

>Not pushing yourself to the limits by stance-dancing between healing and DPSing while quickly adapting to any situation

Never a dull moment in the life of a healer.

DPS is for shitters who don't want the responsibilities of the harder roles.
>>
You can't just yank out the trinity or you end up with dumb zergfest bindrushing like GW2's epin encounters had.

City of Heroes did a pretty good thing where the healers weren't strictly just healbitches. The defender's powersets could be pretty different, with the pure healbitch Empath actually being one of the weakest kinds of defenders outside of very specific uses (although certainly the laziest since they could just set the aoe heal to autofire and ROCK THE AURA)
>>
File: 1446605627980.jpg (352 KB, 600x850) Image search: [Google]
1446605627980.jpg
352 KB, 600x850
>>345255080
buffing my m8s is fun, you dumb DPSposter.
>>
>>345259985
Tank is by far the easiest role. All you have to do is keep aggro and not die.
>>
>>345259428
>have to hunt down enemies when idiot dps goes running ahead and drawing attention to himself
>have to switch targeting to each enemy in order to know exactly how much enmity you have, thus paying attention to over 20 bars at times
>easy to run out of TP, which doesn't seem to have a potion for
Does it suddenly get easier late game? When I played as a DPS into lvl 30's, raids were brainless for me. Just let the tank run ahead of everyone, and switch targets if I'm becoming too popular with an enemy. If I was with a good tank, I didn't have to pay attention to my own enmity, and didn't even have to dodge enemy AoE attacks.
>>
>>345259721
i mean back when feral had that wack-ass chart demonstrating the rotation
>>
>TF2
>Defending a point for almost 15 minutes because i was busy healing the shit out of heavies, soldiers and demos while pyros were protecting our asses from spies
Feels good to be the medic when everybody know what the fuck what the're doing
>>
>>345259985
>jamboy and woman's job
>hard
>>
>>345260230

Flash/Overpower/Unleash's aoe threat is strong enough you only need a few casts to get threat on you. if you lose threat beyond that, you're undergeared or the dps is intentionally going balls out on the wrong target
>>
>>345259279
>>345259992

>Play Kinetics / Gravity Controller
>Put so many goddamn SOs purely for healing and cooldown on my one heal spells
>Lock down EVERYTHING and shit out SO MUCH DAMAGE
>Use one ability to AoE SO MUCH HEALTH
>Maximize distance on one ability to be able to throw ragdolling villains up into the air over two stories

Genuinely the most fucking fun class I've ever fucking played. You want a travel power? Which one, senpai? Wanna' jump super fucking high? Run faster than the fastest man alive? TELEPORTS? PHASING? INVISIBILITY? I got 'chu.
>>
Healer's are the most important role in the game. A good healer can keep a DEEPS alive if the Tank dies. If a DPS dies, barely anyone notices because there's two of them. If the healer dies, you're FUCKED.
>>
>>345260391

>Repeatedly smacking a motionless target is somehow a man's job

Don't worry you tunnelvision fucko. The good doctor will rez you when you inevitably fuck up a mechanic.

Maybe.
>>
>>345260483
>or the dps is intentionally going balls out on the wrong target
That's the point. If you are a DPS, and someone is doing their job wrong, you pretty much just have to calm down with your attacks. You will unlikely die for the mistakes of others.

Healers and tanks have to compensate for the mistakes that others make. If they can't, the team is likely to fail. DPS is literally the most simplistic job there is, and the least important towards the success of the team. The only thing they can do is speed up the process.
>>
File: suggestive-head.gif (3 MB, 338x270) Image search: [Google]
suggestive-head.gif
3 MB, 338x270
>>345255080
You get to be a bitch/comforter/mere-helper for once servicing other people and their needs and making them feel better.
>>
>>345260569

Plant control was sheer fucking insanity when you got strong kitted with IOs later.

After it proliferated to controllers from dominators, shit got real. Assault secondaries were nice, but using it with heal/buff secondaries turned you into a literal incarnation of the cycle of death and rebirth.
>>
File: monk-10.jpg (103 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
monk-10.jpg
103 KB, 1280x800
Man being a monk in GW1 was the best.

With grounded hp and energy numbers (as in 500 and 30, not 164 0000), and buffs/debuff durations, skill recharges, castimes measured usualy in a few seconds, it was realy intense.
Also, you could use either the good little healslut, or a protection build, but either case you had to also attend to long term effects other than chunks of hp disappearing: 2 types of "debuffs" hex and conditions, all applying nasty shit like 90% misschance, slowed movement, huge chance of cast interruption, damge you deal firing back on you etc.. and you had to balance all that stuff on everyone in the party. and remeber: these last/refresh in seconds/tens of seconds for pretty long engagements.

And apart for the afromentioned healng path you could (and indeed, must for a balanced party) take teh protection route: 5-10 sec buffs like the next incoming dmg turning into a heal, the max dmg a single attack can caouse is 10% of the targets max hp, 50% dodge, brief spell resist..., to truly make use of these you couldn tjust look at teh hp bar, you ahd to be aware of the course of the battle.

But best of all is the cheas build where you reduce your hp to miniscule levels, and upkeep the previously mentioned buff: you can only take 10% of your max hp as damage forma single hit, which you could heal put of pretty easily, but for you to be able to keep it up, yu had to use an other buff that gives you mana every time you are hit, but if you are hit too many times, they can overcome your healing, wihch resulted in this tightrope dance.
>>
>>345261073
>A good healer can keep a DEEPS alive if the Tank dies.
Not really. A good healer can keep an awesome DPS alive, but that is about it. A good tank can survive hords and keep themselves alive while gaining all the attention, and the DPS doesn't even have to be that good.
>>
>team wins
>DPS characters get all the glory
>team loses
>healer/supports get all the blame

I would rather lose a game than be forced to play a healing/support role.
Especially because of all the retards who dive balls deep and think I should fucking commit suicide with them.
Sometimes I play damange boost only Mercy just to fuck people.
>>
>>345255080
that's just WoW casualizing shit desu

in Everquest Classic, healers had way more to do than just watch healthbars. they had to manage buffs, often times had to use CC on enemies to keep a camp alive, carefully manage their mana, etc.
>>
>>345261661
https://youtu.be/bKJSC_mteIg

It's not fair.

I was so excited for guild wars 2.

I want to go back.
>>
File: 1468111574488.jpg (869 KB, 908x1593) Image search: [Google]
1468111574488.jpg
869 KB, 908x1593
>play FFXIV since 1.X era
>played Monk all my life
>couple of months ago decide to create an alt
>strictly Scholar
>see all the gay stories on /v/ about healing, expect it to be nothing like that while playing healer
>get literally nothing but the opposite, tanks apologize to me if something happens

I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Is it because I made a tall brown giraffe waifu instead of some submissive catslut / lizardslut?

On a side note, I don't know how WHM's play but I imagine it to be incredible boring compared to a SCH at end game. I find myself falling asleep if I'm not DPSing in amongst any healing I do at all.
>>
Is aught amiss?
>>
>>345262862

It's because SCH is the alpha male of the FF14 job system. They don't take shit from anybody.
>>
>>345262862
Elf scholars are basically as haughty as they get, the standard for tanks with a SCH is mitigate as hard as possible since their AoE DPS is really good
>>
File: 123123.jpg (29 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
123123.jpg
29 KB, 640x360
>>345258131
No, I just had a much, much easier time in other MMOs.
>>
File: gw014.jpg (272 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
gw014.jpg
272 KB, 1024x768
>>345262695
>runing form one mission to the next becuse i didnt know about primary quests
>trying to do a droknar run with other lowbies
>that feel when you capture your first elite skill
>random rockbands in missionhubs after failing numerous times
>your first piece of shit green item
>when you work out a runing build based around spellbraker and run towns for guildies amidst the hopless clikngs of the FUCKING iceimps failed spells
>countless poor minotaurs and hydras falling before your immortal 55hp monk to be turned into 15k armors
>that ascension, that hype, that meteor jinxing your doppelganger
>them feels when zombie Rurik
>being invited to your first GvG the day you hit 20 becasue monk are taht rare
>fucking winning that shit and earning your place among the guilds "elite"
>All the above and more in glorious 8-10 FPS becasue you had a shitty intel celeron

i want it back. so much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68I1NKL0hxw
>>
>>345264213
>zombie rurik

damn...

he did have hundred blades though that was my shit
>>
>>345262862
It's about the same during end game raids as a WHM. You still shoulder the burden of the healing while the SCH dpses and puts out shields when needed, but there's still plenty of time for WHMs to dps as well.

And elezen healers are just respected in general.
>>
File: mystara cleric.gif (63 KB, 526x356) Image search: [Google]
mystara cleric.gif
63 KB, 526x356
>>345255080
>implying
>>
>>345265568
I can never make an female elezen I'm happy with. Their faces are so dopey and the neck more or less forces you into long hairstyles, of which there are only like 2 good ones.
>>
>>345262862
>>345265568
back in ffxi i wanted nothing more than a dedicated elvaan waifu and there were nothing but catsluts as far as the eye could see
>>
>>345266427
I could be your Elvaan healer.

But no gay shit, strictly business.
>>
>>345266080
That's what makes good ones amazing, though

They do have awkward lanky bodies but the good-looking ones really stand out
>>
>>345266552
I said waifu
nothing about that implies gay shit OR healing
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.