[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Max Payne 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11
File: max_payne_3.jpg (773 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
max_payne_3.jpg
773 KB, 2560x1440
>5min cutscene
>1min gameplay
>2min cutscene
>30sec gameplay
>1min cutscene
>20sec gameplay
>2min cutscene
>30sec gameplay

hats off to rockstar, this is a true max payne experience. I actually feel like drinking myself to death in order to endure this 'game'.
>>
>>345237434
>turn subtitles on
>huehue is not translated
>>
Don't worry. 3 was garbage. Stupid writing, not even bad, but actually stupid. Ugly, awful cutscene style, hardly any gameplay (tried NYM when I finished and it was worthless), terrible choice of environments, level design, everything really.
>>
Max Payne 3 was a good game
>>
The 2 first games are overrated af anyway.
>>
File: max payne on steroids.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
max payne on steroids.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>adding a cover system in a max payne game

i dont give a fuck if you dont need it in the higher difficulties, it shouldnt be there in the first place

imo if strangehold had more polish it could have been the next gen max payne 3
>>
>>345237434
While I agree it would be nice if there was less cutscenes, I still prefer it over other cinematic experiences like Uncharted and the like. Shooting anything felt really satisfying.
>>
File: 1457469713979.jpg (79 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1457469713979.jpg
79 KB, 1024x768
>>345237434
PAYNE?

Yeah everyone knows 3 sucked. The only people who say otherwise are Rockstar fanboys who simply won't admit there are flaws in any Rockstar games.
>>
>>345238449
To be perfectly honest I'd rather them replace many of the cutscenes with Uncharted style pseudo gameplay because even though it's still annoying at least it keeps you in the game somewhat and keeps the flow going.
>>
those 30 seconds of gameplay are better than anything this gen has shitted out
>>
>>345238663
bloodborne and bayonetta 2 says hello
>>
File: 1389364580959.gif (951 KB, 340x255) Image search: [Google]
1389364580959.gif
951 KB, 340x255
>>345237434

HOW DARE YOU!
>>
>>345237434

Yeah the beginning of MP3 is fucking shit tier.

Gets better later on though.

Just don't except 3 to be as good as 1 or 2. And expect the writing to be quantity not quality. A million fucking quips and witty lines of dialog here and there and only a few are that good. It's not the worst they could have done but it's okay.

Also be prepared to be warped around a level by fucking cutscenes just spawning you ahead of where you are, and having to constantly switch guns since cutscenes always revert you to default.
>>
>>345238329
i cant find stranglehold on pc
>>
>weapon limit was added for muh realism

discarded.
>>
File: 1466659834079.jpg (52 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
1466659834079.jpg
52 KB, 612x380
>>345237434
Maybe something like Call of Duty is more your speed
>>
I thought 3 was fun. Airport level at the end with the building music as the level went on was goat tier.
>>
>>345239050
at this point you pretty much have to buy physical copy of it, which isnt that big of a deal because it goes for like less than $10
>>
I just don't understand how he got cancer out if no where when he went to Brazil and the writers decided it would be a good idea not to mention it.
>>
File: 9a9665af84.gif (998 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
9a9665af84.gif
998 KB, 500x281
>>345237434
>cutscene
>walk across the room
>cutscene
>>
>>345237434
it's supposed to be cinematic, and if you can't handle that then go back to sucking cock in your abusive mothers basement you closet fag
>>
>>345239481
The worst is when they put cutscenes for things that could have happened in the fucking game itself like enemies ambushing you and such.
>>
>>345237714
It's a shame, some shit are quite hilarously cheesy
But I don't think it would be the same if translated to gringo language
>>
>>345238602
It wasn't as good as the first 2 but it wasn't terrible, not good as a max Payne game but not shit, gameplay was somewhat fun
>>
File: homer disgusted.jpg (12 KB, 259x383) Image search: [Google]
homer disgusted.jpg
12 KB, 259x383
>>345237998
>>345238271
>>345238602
>>345239430
>>
>>345237434
I think MP3 is a great game. Sure it had a lot of unskippable cutscenes and a weaker story compared to 1-2 but I still beat it 100% (including arcade modes), which is unusual for me.

I think the biggest non-issue complaint was the setting. There was no way Max could stay in New Jersey and New York. He was hated by basically everyone and had to leave. The decision to take him to Brazil was a great idea IMO. Favelas are huge and dangerous as fuck filled to the brim with thugs. It was a great choice for Max to go fuck up a bunch of goons stylishly, which is what MP games are about. The ending was also comfy as hell.

Gunplay is top fucking tier. No more magic pockets was a great idea. You could feel the weight of the guns and it was awesome to pull a pistol out of your holster mid jump and unload it into some HUEHUE's face.

Music and graphics were solid as well.

What annoys the shit out of me is people saying "This was a good game but a bad Max Payne game". Nah, if you go back and look at the story for MP1 it was pretty atrocious. Valkyr sets up the story and murder of his family and is basically forgotten about 1/3 through the game. There were ridiculous bad guys, like the howling mobster and the old lady illuminati final boss. I'm not saying MP1 doesn't have good dialogue or quotes from Max but let's just be real here.

All three games are great, they all have their pros and cons. Personally, I'd love to see Max Passos 4 where they learned from their mistakes in 3 (mainly unskippable cutscenes). Or just a remake of 3 with better load times and additional content.

Oh and the multiplayer was super fun. I played the hell out of it.
>>
File: oh_my_god.png (75 KB, 301x411) Image search: [Google]
oh_my_god.png
75 KB, 301x411
>>345237434
The game is really fucking annoying with its cinematic garbage shit but
>that office level
>that airport level
it has few good moments
>>
>>345239313
where
literally
>>
>>345240301
>No more magic pockets was a great idea
No it wasn't. If you go back and play Max Payne you will see yourself switching between different guns all the time for different scenarios, especially on the lower difficulties. You'd switch to shotgun during more safe close up encounters, d-eagle to snipe some guys far away, double uzis when you want to take out guys quick and safe and the dual pistols when you want to keep crowds under control. And you'd do this on your own while staying on the move. Max Payne 3 does not have this because of muh realism, and the guns feel too samey anyway because all that matters is headshots.
>>
>>345240837
ebay, amazon, craigslist

honestly i found one for $5 sealed at a flea market, got really fucking lucky that day
>>
>>345240301
>No more magic pockets was a great idea
>weapon limits are a good thing
>for a fucking max payne game

kill yourself
>>
>>345240863
>>345241057
Agree to disagree. I thought it was fantastic to empty a pistol, roll to pick up a shotgun, continue shooting with your second pistol while he held the shotgun low, then get in close and get surgical with the shotgun. It made the game way more tense in my opinion. Everything you did felt like it had weight, every gun you grabbed was something you desperately needed to survive.

I realize I'm in the minority of this train of thought and that's ok senpais.
>>
The Narration from Max got really fucking annoying.

UGH im so drunk and i drink so much ugh such a gringo and all this seems so weird something is off the whole things stinks
>>
>>345241296
Nah I'd say there's quite a few people that prefer style over substance like you do, otherwise video games wouldn't be as dumbed down as they are.
>>
>>345241408
Max Payne 3 is easily the hardest game in the series. I hope you aren't implying 3 was dumbed down because of the weapon limit. Disliking the weapon limit is one thing but thinking it made MP3 easier or more casual than 1 or 2 is just stupid.
>>
>>345240301
>Valkyr sets up the story and murder of his family and is basically forgotten about 1/3 through the game.
you should actually play the games if you want to shitpost properly about them famalam, mp1 is the only paine game with consistent story, 2 on the other hand is completely all over the place and even 3 does a better job

story
1>3>2

gameplay
2>3>1
>>
>>345241751
But it's true. The first part of the game is about this crazy drug that you constantly hear about various details of. After that it's just Max going apeshit and Valkyr is hardly ever brought up again. Then making the jump to howling satanic mobsters then to some grand illuminati old lady pulling all the strings was just silly.
>>
>>345240301
>Valkyr sets up the story and murder of his family and is basically forgotten about 1/3 through the game.

What's forgotten? Valkyr is always a major element in the game and the reason why the criminals have as much power as they do.

>There were ridiculous bad guys, like the howling mobster and the old lady illuminati final boss

Yes and? Max Payne 1 wasn't a dry serious game, it had a lot of humor in it and was intentionally over the top. Saying that there are ridiculous elements to the story as some kinda flaw is pretty silly because that's what made it so damn fun in the first place.
>>
>>345238602
Max Payne 3 was really really good gameplay wise, it's just that it interrupted it way too fucking much and didn't have any of the humor or absurdity of Max Payne 1 and 2. The best level in the entire game was that fucking bit in New York. It's a real shame, the score attack modes were actually the best part of the game, and even they had godammed cutscenes blocking everything up.
>>
>>345241681
Nah it's easier than MP1. Especially after you learn enemy positions because there's nothing left for you at that point thanks to the shooting being so dumbed down that it might as well be an on rails shooter.
>>
>>345241980
>then making the jump to howling satanic mobsters
that were high on that drug as that gang is the one that started speading it in the town

>then to some grand illuminati old lady pulling all the strings was just silly
the head of the company that produced the drug

you really need to replay the game and actually pay attention to cutscenes and npc banter
>>
>>345242198
I see you didn't play on the hardest difficulty or play any of the arcade modes

>>345242297
I'll admit that it's been a while since I've played 1. Back in the day I would play 1 and 2 every year but I haven't played 1 since before MP3. Maybe my memory is a little foggy but people complaining about the story in 3 need to realize there is a bunch of ridiculous shit in all 3 games.

Like I said before, all three games are great and all three games have serious flaws.

I just hope we get Max Passos 4
>>
>>345241980
Nigger, pay attention when you play the game next time. It's called pacing.
>>
>>345242548
>I see you didn't play on the hardest difficulty or play any of the arcade modes

That's exactly where the game becomes easier. It's only harder than the first game on a casual first playthrough, but even then I've seen people struggle with 1 far more because they didn't understand how to play it. Also considering that you barely remember anything about Max Payne 1 I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't know what I was talking about when I said the shooting's been dumbed down.
>>
MP3 is a fucking shitshow.
>>
>>345242883
>hardest difficulty and challenge modes are easier

In what universe? Also curious what you mean about the shooting being dumbed down. Max Payne 3 has a lot of issues, sure, but shooting and difficulty certainly aren't any of them.
>>
>>345243325
In the universe we live in. And what I mean by that is that in Max Payne 3 the headshots are instant so once you learn where enemies come from, it becomes a game of point and click for the vast majority of encounters. In Max Payne 1 it took a while for the bullets to travel so getting consistent headshots on moving targets is comparatively much more difficult and takes far more practice. Since you can't rely on your point and clicking skills as much, you have to rely on things like switching between weapons and movement both of which are very underplayed in Max Payne 3.
>>
File: 1432849498001.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1432849498001.png
13 KB, 418x359
>>345237434

3 is the best one, you guys are fags.
>>
>>345237434
And the cutscenes are unskippable
>b-b-b
I'd rather be watching a loading screen than watch half a cutscene for the privilege to skip the other half

The story itself is just bananas. The flashbacks are great, they FEEL Max Payne-y, but all of Brazil after you reach the favelas is just shit.
>>
>>345238329
maybe i just suck but on hardcore i had to stay mostly in cover because i'd get raped every shootdodge
>>
>>345240101
Nice rebuttal, fuckface. Here's your participation (You)
>>
>>345237434
You're an idiot. Max Payne 3 was cool as shit, and the multiplayer was even good.
>>
>>345238329
You don't need the cover system at all, famalam
I haven't used it once in any of my playthroughs
>>
File: 1454228594019.gif (2 MB, 330x166) Image search: [Google]
1454228594019.gif
2 MB, 330x166
>>345245615
>and the multiplayer was even good
Contrarianfags are the worst.
>>
>>345237434
once I played it though, I used each level as a sandbox by restarting the checkpoint on arcade mode. It's not that bad of a game, if you invest the effort in treating it like an action movie.
>>
>>345245861
Not him but the multiplayer was super underrated. It was fun as fuck to get in a crew and battle other crews. Gameplay was fun and there was enough variation to keep it fresh.

Say what you will about MP3's singleplayer but multiplayer was objectively great.
>>
File: i85x3kDWSSBlM.gif (3 MB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
i85x3kDWSSBlM.gif
3 MB, 450x600
>>345237434
It's disappointing. The controls are the best in the series, allowing you to lie down indefinitely and cancel bullettime in midair really helped the flow. But there's basically nowhere except the airport where you can really use it.
>>
>>345247338
No way Max controls like a fat clumsy old fart who can barely lift himself off the ground after a shoot dodge. Not to mention the roll length/speed which is just sad.
>>
>>345247827

This. Max is so fucking sluggish in MP3.

But some of the controls are better like cancels and infinte lie down, but they are wasted because of Rockstars fucking fetish for weight character movement and animation.

Max needs to be nimble and jumping around and flipping himself up from the ground like he did in MP2.
>>
>>345247338
I didn't know this was a technology thread
>>
>>345237434
The worst thing is the cutscenes are unskippable
>>
>>345247827
>>345248316

him being fat/depressed/clumsy/drunk is something the narrative beats you over the head with. It's fitting that he moves like that.
>>
Time to test /v/ answer honestly,
Would rather play black ops multiplayer or MP multiplayer?
>>
>>345247827
>barely lift himself off the ground after a shoot dodge. Not to mention the roll length/speed which is just sad.

So deal with it. Time your shootdodges and rolls better. Don't dive in places where you're gonna be vulnerable on the ground. Don't dive straight into walls. Same basic idea as in 1 and 2.

>>345248316
Same, deal with it. He doesn't change direction so fast, which forces you to choose an actual path, you can't strafe left and right as easy as 1 & 2.

I take back "best in the series" though, on reflection 2 was pretty great too. The air control while shootdodging is so good.
>>
>>345248951
Nah all that sluggishness does is make me rely on bullet time more and make the game very one dimensional. Why roll if it's neither effective or fun to do? Why strafe and zig zag enemy fire when you can turn on slow mo and kill them while holding down W? It does not add to the game's difficulty, it just makes it less frantic and more dull.
>>
>>345248316
I'd love to see them go even further and allow you to do things like cancel the shoot dodge into a quick roll so you can constantly stay on the move and then balance the game around that kind of fast fluid movement by making enemies more accurate and removing invincibility frames.
>>
>>345249337
Dunno what to tell you bro, I roll like crazy in 3.

>Why strafe and zig zag enemy fire when you can turn on slow mo and kill them while holding down W?

Doesn't that apply to 1 and 2 too? Especially 2 where the enemies are weak as shit and bullet time crazy OP.
>>
Max Payne 1

>muh family

Max Payne 2

>muh mona sax
>>
>>345250376
You forgot 3.
>>
>>345250314
2 yes but in 1 the bullet time is quite shit and holding W will get you damaged or killed since headshots aren't instant so enemies will always fire off a few shots before you di them in. 2 has insanely fast movement during bullet time so it doesn't matter much and 3 has instant headshots so bullet dodging only happens when you've seriously fucked up your execution.
>>
>No sandbox/endless horde survival mode
>With that gameplay
>Only set pieces

What a crime.
>>
>>345239313
>>345239050
>>345238329
games like that are why I need to install an optical drive, not everything is digital
>>
>>345250824
There's a DLC co-op one in the multiplayer that you can play offline. It's way too easy to survive forever and it uses the inferior multiplayer controls, but it's still good for screwing around in.
>>
>>345238329
Cover is a pit stop at best. Max Payne 3 isn't a cover shooter, and if you are playing that way you are going to have a horrible time. You are supposed to be flying through the air like a madman shooting everyone in the head.
>>
>>345238602
As far as I'm concerned, Max Payne 3 is when it became apparent that the Rockstar writers have their heads up their asses.

Max Payne 1 and 2 had enough sense to keep the cutscenes short and skippable if you've played through it.

MP3 arguably has some of the best shooting Max Payne has seen only to squander it com-fucking-pletely by making a cutscene happen pretty much after every fucking firefight and utterly lying about how they're "masking loading times" and either offering a shitty PC port that was held back by thinking it needed 360/PS3 loading times, or outright lying and not being willing to say "we're proud of these cutscenes enough to make them unskippable, deal with it" because of the obvious PR nightmare that'd bring.

Instead they ruined the replayability of an otherwise decent to good shooter.
>>
>>345251730
which you do and it is glorious... for 5 minutes. Stopping and exploring the level has everyone, even Max on your ass to get to the next cutscene
>>
>>345251987
>Stopping and exploring the level has everyone, even Max on your ass to get to the next cutscene

God, fucking this. I hate it when games rush me. MP3 is possibly the fucking worst at this.

Why do devs spend so much time making levels beautiful, only to want me to run through it in 3 seconds. Hell there are even hidden collectables in the level and yet Max and Passos are constantly telling me to hurry up, and in some levels if I take to long to look around, suddenly a fail and have to restart from last checkpoint. It was fucking bullshit.
>>
>>345238602
I love Max Payne 3, and don't care for anything Rockstar has done before or after its' release. It is a damn good game. I probably play it once a year. Plus it had the amazing Payne Killer mode. You get the first kill and try to remain Max for the duration of a match. Some of the most fun I've had with a game ever. Running around as Max using his in game taunts to grief people. Fucking hell.
>>
I consider MP 3 non canon. Rockstar can't write for shit.
>>
MP3 had such good gunplay, but they had to drown it in terrible, ugly cutscenes, shitty writing, etc..
The best part of the game was at Hoboken sans sniper bullshit, and that's saying something
>>
>>345250739
Lucky him.
>>
>>345240301
FUCKING THIIIIIIIIIIIS X10000000

Anyone who disagrees is literally the biggest pleb of all time.

max payne 3 is literally the best third person shooter of all time (in terms of gameplay)
>>
>>345242883
>the shootings been dumbed down
>for max payne 3

are you a fucking idiot ? 3 has the best gameplay of the series and has the most accurate. pin point and satisfying shooting of the series too
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.