[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into this game? I love the mechanical depth and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: Dwarf Fortress - Bird's Eye View.gif (504 KB, 1600x1296) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf Fortress - Bird's Eye View.gif
504 KB, 1600x1296
How do I get into this game?

I love the mechanical depth and crazy shit that can happen, but ever time I start up I'm at a loss at what to do because of so many options and shit I know nothing about. It's not so much the ASCII UI as it is the lack of a starting point I can notice.

If anyone has any advice, feel free to share. I really want to get into this game.
>>
The wiki is your friend.

Otherwise the game's motto is litterally "losing is fun"

You just keep playing, getting better with every loss.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide
>>
>>345236756
this

if you're too impatient to read, watch dfvidtuts and download the lazy newb pack
>>
It's a ridiculously easy game once you understand the basics.

Even with haunted setting with tower and goblins as neighbours, you have to try really hard to lose.

Watch a youtube lets play, install graphics pack (all you need comes in lazy newbie pack) and then give it a whirl.
>>
>>345236756
Appreciate it man.
>>
>>345236471
watch 5ippycup's videos on youtube for a general idea, and then take what you learned and start losing
>>
This game was pretty awesome on 2012. After some years of slow development it doesn't seem so big and mighty as it used to appear. I guess the other games catch up.
>>
>>345236471
For the version you posted, it's a desperate survival simulator. The latest versions, just try building some crazy shit or something if you are into that, I dunno.
>>
The only difficulty to this game is how impressively unintuitive the UI is. Why does it have to be like this? To keep the casuals away? Is he ever going to do anything about it?
>>
>>345237762
>This entire post
>>
>>345240151
Its not about difficulty, its about depth.

Dwarf Fortress, out of any of those retarded precederally generated game, has the most depth of them all, toady just insists on using an interface from the 80s
>>
Just use Dwarf Therapist. That's all you need to help you along, really.
>>
>>345240534
Thisssssss
>>
>>345240151
It's a long term thing, mice and GUIs are a passing fad, there's point in designing your game to accommodate them unless you're making one of those franchises that comes out every year.
>>
>>345240331
>>345237762
He's not wrong dude. Since 34.xx we've gotten a lot of new adventure mode stuff but very little in the way of Fortress Mode and it's gotten a great deal easier.

As long as you don't fuck up the guaranteed werebeast attack in year 2 and the guaranteed siege in year 3 then you'll never lose.

For the nice idea of a living world, it made fortress mode a fuckton easier and DF remains the kinda game you forget about then play when a new update comes out for 10 hours or so then forget it again.

I wish it wasn't true but that's really how it is. I envy new players that have the whole thing ahead of them.
>>
>>345240460
It was definitely about difficulty. The motto losing is fun did not come about because the game has depth.

The game is no longer hard. Sadly.
>>
>>345236471
lol what the fuck is this
a runescape classic map?
>>
>>345241862
Just fucking redownload the january 07 version then
>>
>>345242951
Why? The game has a lot more content now. It just doesn't have as much challenge.
>>
>>345243216
>>345241862
>>345237762
The main reason for "difficulty" going down is simply the military can actually be trained over time, instead of sticking your milkers and cheeze makers onto screw pump gym duty until they become conan the barbarian strong, then throw them at random enemies.
>>
>>345243917
nah the game was harder even when danger rooms felt like they were required.

>getting sieged every year
>werebeasts every year
>ambushes every year
>dwarves rudimentary emotion system lead to tantrum spirals

Oh well.
>>
>>345244182
Meh, all toady has to do is make Bulding Destroyer rank 3, and let those creatures break dwarven built stuff like walls and drawbridges.
>>
>>345244329
That + across the board trap rebalance of all the traps and I'd be a happy camper.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.