[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /v/, I know a lot of you are sick of Undertale threads but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 13
File: undertale logo.png (3 KB, 975x180) Image search: [Google]
undertale logo.png
3 KB, 975x180
Okay /v/, I know a lot of you are sick of Undertale threads but I'm making a video about it and would like some honest reactions from one the places that was an early supporter of the game. Tell me what you liked and enjoyed about it, and if you still consider it a good game almost a year later.

And if you don't like it, please talk about why. And I mean really go in if you don't like it, don't just call it "tumblrmeme" please tell me your real thoughts.

Give me your thoughts on all of it, the fan created stuff, alternate universe bs, EVERYTHING. Hearing others thoughts on the game will really help.
>>
>Early supporter

/v/ never liked Undertale.
>>
>honest reactions
good luck then

>>345218214
hahahahahahaha
>>
>>345218287
I know asking /v/ sounds silly, but I've honestly had quite a few good conversations about the game on here. I thought it'd be a good place to get material about opinions different from my own.
>>
It's a game.
>>
Didn't read. Try checking the fucking catalog next time after you're unbanned.
>>
>>345218287
Despite attempts to rewrite history, it was pretty obvious that Undertale threads were just raids by Homestuck fans and streaming enthusiasts to try and pretend that anyone cared about this game. There was a world of difference between MGSV and Undertale threads. MGSV threads actually talked about the game. Undertale threads, despite your claims, have NEVER been about the game.
>>
For me the game didn't start until the last two fights in the Genocide run.

I assume most people do neutral > pacifist > genocide which people really should count as one playthrough and everything until genocide undyne was boring as shit gameplay wise.
Might as well be watching a let's play.
Then I had fun with undyne and sans and then the game was over.

I do understand what people like about it but as a videogame it failed me.
>>
File: 4973043274.png (147 KB, 307x307) Image search: [Google]
4973043274.png
147 KB, 307x307
The game is a massive mixed bag of good and bad things, and despite what the fans and detractors say, it's not a black and white issue.

The good.
>fun OST
>varied characters
>original gameplay
>multiple endings dependant on your actions
>no disgusting DRM (if you don't like steam or origin, you can buy it directly from Toby's website)

The bad.
>inconsistent pixel graphics
>no difficulty or challenge modes
>gamepad integration is wonky, from what I hear
>final bosses are literally cutscenes that you can't lose
>game feels overall linear despite advertising a world for us to explore

If I want to be generous, I'd give it a 6/10. I don't hate the game, but after the hype died down, I noticed alot of problems. There's potential for it to be regarded as a classic alongside Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, but Toby has alot of work to do, and the game has a long way to go before that'll even be within the realm of possibility.
>>
>>345218018
Too memey and that pisses me off. Also too popular so that pisses me off even more.
>>
>>345219005

>MGSV
>"game"

Stopped reading there. You can hate Undertale if you want, but I wouldn't use a cinematic movie game in your example.
>>
>>345218214
Blatantly false.
>>
File: 1434586553359.png (17 KB, 837x609) Image search: [Google]
1434586553359.png
17 KB, 837x609
>>345219005
That is objectively untrue.
Proof with content created from the demo two years ago.
>>
File: Laughing Squids.jpg (19 KB, 235x215) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Squids.jpg
19 KB, 235x215
>>345219279
>MGSV
>Movie game

Haven't even played it, but don't people hate it for not having enough focus on the cinematics?
>>
>>345219187
>There's potential for it to be regarded as a classic alongside Chrono Trigger and Earthbound
No.
>>
>>345219015
>>345219187
Thanks!
>>
I wish the game maintained the quality the demo had. There is a massive drop off as soon as you leave the ruins and I'd say, other than the bosses which were fun, the game just gets worse and worse. For a game that is clearly supposed to be replayed multiple times there isn't enough content.

Also I think the whole theme/story falls a bit flat. A player isn't a turbo sadist for wanting to get their monies worth and seeing everything a game has to offer, it says more about the creator to hide content like that. It isn't the amazing meta fiction people say it is, frankly.
>>
>>345219535

That's because they're used to the games having 50+ hours of cutscenes ala MGS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeV992m7L84

>5 hours of straight story
>not a movie
>>
>>345219682
Mem leaks and unoptimized. 128mb gpu for a fucking dos game?
>>
File: ayy.png (2 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
ayy.png
2 MB, 1680x1050
Uhh...guys? Sans is on my computer.

Yes,that's Windows 7 I use there. The orb is pretty obivious.
>>
>>345220187
take those folders off your desktop anon
>>
>>345220534
Wait a minute,desktop threads are still around on /v/???
>>
File: 142104405197_.jpg (31 KB, 640x616) Image search: [Google]
142104405197_.jpg
31 KB, 640x616
>>345218018
Ok nigga I'm going all out.
During combat the MC has no skills besides a regular attack, enemies attack with their own bullethell minigame, bosses have their own special minigame, wich usually consists in restrickting your movement options in some way.
Alternatively, you can choose from various dialog options in order to "spare" enemies, wich is just a glorified "ran away" that takes a couple turns and rewards a little gold depending on wich monster you are fighting, the options you have to pick are painfully obvious and are mostly a way to tell a joke to the player. This is my biggest problem with Undertale, the gameplay offers no challenge and the humour is a love it or hate it kind of thing, I personally cringed hard at most jokes the game presented to me, it's a lot of quirky dialog and internet references, like Alphys sperging about anime, 90' video games and puns. I absolutely hated the FFVI opera parody and the fact that one of the final bosses paraphrases Giygas, I understand how some people who are relatively new to the medium may like it but I'm not one of them, referencing memorable moments from other games doesn't make your game memorable, especially when it's done on main parts of the game, it's barely above using literal memes.
Bossfights are interactive cutscenes, they always use the same attacks in the same order so they lack any challenge after losing a couple times to them
I don't have much to say about the morality system other that is too black and white to be considered something other than average but it's nice to have moral choices in games so thats a plus for me.
>>
File: 1447207048116.jpg (355 KB, 780x2420) Image search: [Google]
1447207048116.jpg
355 KB, 780x2420
One of the complains I hear the most about this game is there final bosses and how you "can't die".

I understand why people say it but I think they are mistaken.

1) practically every game does this. When you die in a game, you lose progress and you have to return to a point I'm the game. Each game has its own rules about that. Some games returns you right before the battle. Others returns you to the previous save point, others returns you to the begining of the game. Undertale does the same, but returns you to an specific part of the fight.

2) You can't progress until you successfully complete the phase of the battle. So these fights aren't cutscene, there is no way you can finish those fights without you playing these fights.

3)This was made in order to keep the excitement. These are the most important moments of the game, when you're about to finish them. Forcing the player to return to your save point would break the emotion.

4) There is a final challenging battle at the end of the game and is Sans (and Undyne). These are the fights people can experience without broking the excitement of the story. Just like Ultima/Omega weapons in Final Fantasy.

So. These final fight were well made and well thought. It's not a flaw.
>>
File: 1435215632504.jpg (91 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1435215632504.jpg
91 KB, 640x640
>>345222483
The story is completely forgettable, even by video game standars but at least it doesn't devolve into pretentious bullshit so it's ok by me, it's not like Undertale wants to be taken seriously or at least thats the impression I got. Characters are decent and likeable for the most part, fuck Alphys.
The soundtrack is great but the artstyle is all over the place and is ugly in general.
It's a bit on the short side too, all 3 routes took me around 7 hours but it's an indie game and it's only 10 burgers anways.
Overall, Undertale is a good game, not worth it of the praise it has received but it's a nice happy little game.
>>
i played it day one

i liked the spare mechanic
i loved how the game broke the fourth wall
the dialogue was brilliant
the ost was exceptional
i had fun trying to uncover the secrets of gaster

obviously its still a fantastic game, bad fanbases will never change that
>>
File: 1432055227991.png (77 KB, 202x262) Image search: [Google]
1432055227991.png
77 KB, 202x262
>>345222710
if its so forgettable then why do people talk about it constantly every day like a year later here
>>
>>345223418
This is how a cult behaves, anon.
>>
File: 1 chuck mate.jpg (30 KB, 555x369) Image search: [Google]
1 chuck mate.jpg
30 KB, 555x369
https://www.mediafire.com/?d3dcl24dy0d6yhy
AYAYAYAY!!!
>>
>>345223418
People mostly talk about the characters and jerk off to goats, the story itself it's forgettable.
>>
>>345224051
What is this, anon?
>>
File: 1 doi.jpg (61 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1 doi.jpg
61 KB, 400x400
>>345224930
not op but i think is some kind of translation to spanish of the game
>>
>>345218018

The writing seemed to insist that all the characters were likable, but every character I encountered annoyed me. Every single one. So I killed them.

I got about halfway through the game, I think. Right after you meet the gameshow robot and the stupid creature that wouldn't stop posting to facebook. I enjoyed the music and the Earthbound/dreamlike style, but the repetitive gameplay and annoying characters were too much for me.

It didn't help that fans of the game all told me "No, you're not SUPPOSED to kill them! You're playing it wrong!"
>>
>>345218018
I honestly found the gameplay really boring. Getting the interesting endings is a pain in the ass and very tedious to go through. Some of the characters are a bit too hamfisted and made me roll my eyes fairly often. The game tries to guilt-trip you about certain characters despite acknowledging the presence of saves.

It's an average game. Nice music, occasionally fun characters, but boring gameplay.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (147 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
147 KB, 1500x1500
>>345219738
>5 hours of straight story
>straight
Compared to the rest of the time being near hundreds of hours of pure gameplay you're just full of shit anon, you're kidnly required to end yourself.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.