[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much Vania do you want in Bloodstained? Since almost every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1
File: bloodstained_char_normal.0.jpg (541 KB, 1916x1055) Image search: [Google]
bloodstained_char_normal.0.jpg
541 KB, 1916x1055
How much Vania do you want in Bloodstained?

Since almost every monster/boss/enemy in CastleVania came from public domain, they're all fair game to use in Bloodstained. Question is how much should IGA take? Would you want Dracula, Death, Medusa, Mummies, Werewolves, Frankenstein's Monster, Legion and the rest of the CastleVania classic making an appearance? The E3 demo did already have the Buer enemy that was similar in both looks and behavior.

Should Bloodstained carve out its own identity, or should it take as much from CastleVania canon as it can get away with since Konami refuse to use it?
>>
>>345195323
I think IGA outright said that Dracula (Who became a fair-use character a while back) isn't in it specifically because he didn't want people railing on him for aping Castlevania THAT closely.
>>
>>345195421
Ah fuck I really wanted to beat his ass again.
Oh well demo was still great and I have some high hopes.
Hopefully the big bad can achieve the same level of badassery that Drac has.
I want the villain to be big, someone I feel that I absolutely have to kill or the world goes to shit.
>>
>>345195421
Not using Dracula is smart, but I still hope he's there as some kind of secret super boss after the campaign.
>>
>>345195421
That's fair

I think another thing MN9 showed is that you need to do your own thing to some degree in order to avoid being seen as a hollow, inferior imitation and at worst a poor man's ripoff.

Bloodstained should take the castlevania atmosphere and throw in some homages, but it shouldn't draw on it too heavily
>>
Didn't the demo also have ghosts that not only behaved similarly but also resembled the ghosts from Castlevania? Didn't the demo also have those stationary flamethrower things that functioned exactly the same as Castlevania's bone pillars? Didn't those black humanoid goo creatures behave just like the zombies or mudmen from Castlevania? It's already incredibly derivative as far as the demo goes.
>>
>>345195421
Dracula's been universally public domain since the 60s (50 years after Stoker's death), and always was in the United States, apparently.

Then again, reusing him for Bloodstained probably would be going too far. A lot of the classic monsters returning would be good though.
>>
I use Shovel Knight as my personal metric for indie platformer homage kickstarters.
I think Shovel Knight did it right. A direct and blatant homage to various games, with certain mechanics outright lifted, but it managed to stand on its own feet with what it did that was unique. Especially the DLC campaign.

I think homage is fine and in the case of a game that may as well be called "Castlevania: Homage of The Night" it's kind of essential. But it has to make its own world and its own impact to stand out.
>>
>>345195323
bosses don't matter that much

but they REALLY need to ditch the metroidvania level design

metroid was better than metroidvania ever was in terms of dynamic stages

sotn was just flat, empty hall with zero platforming after flat, empty hall, where you have to kill 3 or 4 generic mobs before moving on.

sotn was fucking awful. they can make it branching path, fuck, even with a slowly opening map but add actual obstacles and platforming
>>
>>345196278(You)
Give me your address senpai, I'll buy and send you a rope to hang yourself with
>>
>>345196278
Yeah, that's not going to happen. Bloodstained was funded on nostalgia for SotN and the handheld Igavanias, not Metroid.
You're better off playing something like Axiom Verge or waiting for Ghost Song if you want a Metroid clone. Or maybe something like La-Mulana if you want actual platforming challenge in a Metroidvania.
>>
>>345196278
I agree that the SotN-style games frequently lack compelling level design, but the better ones (Symphony itself, Aria) usually do a decent job of avoiding hallway syndrome. I do think that Metroid has always been superior, though.
>>
>>345196363
sotn is literally corridors on end connected by loading screen transitions preceded by little curbs where you jump up and cross the door, and immediately drop down again for no reason.

endless corridors.

what litle interesting platforming there is is taken frm past games, such as the clock tower. or are upward moving elevator lifts with no penalty for falling

none of the enemies can even HURT you, and their attacks are slow and easy to dodge. a lot of them don't even attack.

sotn is awful. like seriously, and every time you get o a new area there are these stupid fucking areas after you drop down from the stoop with a series of platforms that allow the series of corridors to branch out left and right on several levels, all filled with 3 or 4 generic enemies with some minor item at the end.

it's fucking gay.

the DS games at least got the bosses right in the soma cruz one and order of ecclesia, even if the level esign is still awful
>>
>>345196451
I prefer classicvania, or metroid.

the fusion between them just didn't have staying power though. sotn was novel at the time, but might as well just be a shooting gallery for how easy it is

I just want a new medieval horror type game.

plus, the slow process of marching up to the summit of the castle is just cool.
>>
>>345196692
Well fuck my taste you clearly have patrician taste and I'm just a fucking vidya peasant.
Fuck give me your email then so that I can ask you what's "good" and you can enlighten my ass with every reply.
I should really learn not to listen to my part of the brain that has fun and listen to you and your superior mind.
>>
>>345196948
are you really arguing that superior and inferior level design doesn't exist?
>>
>>345195552
>>345195421
The sad part about Dracula is that he may be completely eligible for bloodstained but there's no way they could've taken castlevania drac's move set and it wouldn't have really been drac without it, would it?
>>
>>345197127
Nope I had fun with SotN, the game was funded by fans on the idea we'd be getting another SotN type game.
And overwhelming amount of people like SotN because it was fun.
FUN
Go fuck yourself, you sound the kind of bitch that goes to watch a super hero movie and complaints about plot and lack of theme and other stupid shit instead of shutting your brain off and having FUN.
>>
>>345197252
Yeah I guess you're right about that, I'm sure I'd be happy with a new move set too but whatever.
I hope he plays a part or something, I fucking love his character.
>>
>>345197252
I'd be surprised if the Drac moveset wasn't in the game. Even AoS and DoS had it.
>>
>>345197252
that's one of the things that always kind of bugged me though. castlevania died because it was too bent on convention. when it expanded into metroidvania it just borrowed new conventions, but didn't do much of interest with it.

say, those multi-story boss battles in ecclesia, with the new movement options, etc. those are good ideas.

I don't want to just dodge another three pronged fireball. that kind of drac isn't scary.
>>
>>345195323
So long as there's a Succubus with Yuri i'm all good
>>
>>345197293
and what if it turns into another failed kickstarter game, like 90% of the others, because it fundamentally has poor level design, like all the others?

then, all of a sudden, i'm not a bitch. I'm just correct.

KONAMI stopped making the entire SERIES because of repetetive level design. PEOPLE stopped BUYING the GAMES because of repetetive level design.

you can enjoy it. I never said otherwise. but the level design remains poor and generic for 20 years straight now. kek.
>>
>>345195323
I want Miriam's delicious thighs. Don't give a fuck about the game.
>>
>>345197617
You won't be correct, you'll never be correct little autist.
I bet it triggered you as you read that.
>Konami in charge of smart decisions
I'm lmaoing at your brain.
And yet a ton of people threw money at Iga to remake that "poor and generic" game.
>>
>>345197750
an intelligent person can understand that a different person FEELS differently about a thing whilst acknowledging facts.

you're obviously not intelligent. the amount of money going into the game is TINY in terms of development standards. it wouldn't be nearly enough to fund a game on the budget of ANY game company that wasn't indie.

enjoy it all you like, but the world doesn't start and end with you. if you can't realize that a lot of people don't enjoy it, and thta the formula hasn't changed for 20 years, you're an idiot. you're not an idiot because I disagree with you. you're an idiot because you can't simply recognize the facts on the ground, and you can't realize that not everyone FEELS the way you do.
>>
This would NEVER be funded if it follows the classic CV format. SoTN clone or bust.
>>
>>345197956
Obviously! I mean again you're the patrician here, I'm the peasant.
Keep up sensei.
That's crazy now that you mention it, you're right about the budget. Never in the history of games has a studio gotten a budget and worked around that and got the most out of that budget. Especially not games like the old castlevanias. We've only ever had AAA games that just had big companies behind them backing them up.
I know it doesn't it starts with you and ends with you m8. You're the leading authority on shit around here.
Give me more facts
>>
>>345197958
I would have rather had a good Classicvania than a Metroidvania, but ultimately we didn't need another one of either.
>>
>>345198270
the money flowing around kickstarter is so small and insignificant to actual companies they don't even bother. it's RISK FREE money butthey still don't bother.

if you can't recognize this and put the pieces together, you're a fucking idiot. again, irrespective of taste,you're an idiot. CEOs of fortune 500 companies are not less intelligent than you. you are literally too stupid to understand what they're thinking, and it's not even complex.
>>
>>345197252
Oh, there'll undoubtedly be a not-Dracula boss like Walter or Graham, I don't think you need to worry too much about that.
>>
>>345197958
Because nobody would buy a Classicvania from IGA who had no experience in making them.

Nobody really knows the team that was really responsible for creating the series.

There's no figurehead for Classicvania like there was for Metroidvania or people like Inafune.

That said, if someone made a video that said "I have the team that made Rondo of Blood and they want to make a traditional Castlevania game" i'd fund the fucking project myself twice over.
>>
>>345198848
I think it'd be cool if they made a castlevania game in the vein of smash bros. adventure mode or subspace emissary.

metroidvania games have often had fighting game type inputs and a variety of combat options, all of which end up being useless because the optimal strategy is just to spam moves with invincibility frames, or something

I wish they'd make a game that just focused on that, kind of like maria in the saturn version

no fucking gay corridor shit. a focus on interesting combat situations that depend on inputs, etc, and adversarial combat.

that ps3 castlevania that was multiplayer was a step in that direction. I thuoght it was cool. too bad it flopped. maybe I'm the onyl one. I really like playing as richter and maria because the inputs are fun
>>
>>345197617
Not who you're talking to, but I stopped buying Castlevania games because they were on shitty handhelds. I've been waiting for another one on console for ages.

I know it's all anecdotal, but that's a repeated sentiment I've seen all over the place.
>>
>>345195323
I want it to be 75% Castlevania and 25% it's own thing.
>>
>>345195323
Why are her bangs in a tryhard X formation? God I fucking hate Japan so much.
>>
I just want them to improve the shitty looking backgrounds
>>
>>345195323
What's with that giant chest piece obscuring one of her boobs? Looks shit t.b.h
>>
Reminder that a hand placed and finetuned Classicvania mode is being included in the final game.
>>
>>345199205
there's a fangame that is basically this, go look up serio's castlevania fighter
>>
I liked Judgment
>>
>>345200137
That doesn't necessarily mean much. It's an interesting gesture, but to do that kind of thing right requires more focus than I think they're giving it.
>>
>>345200137
I'm pretty sure that and the roguelike mode were just thrown in to make more money from the kickstarter hype. I doubt either one is going to be interesting or even functional.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.