[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://store.steampowered.com/app/4 33450/ >Necropolis is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: dogshit.jpg (370 KB, 1359x1550) Image search: [Google]
dogshit.jpg
370 KB, 1359x1550
http://store.steampowered.com/app/433450/
>Necropolis is just a shitty Dark Souls esque with the 'ROGUELIKE' jammed in because why not.
>Salt and Sanctuary is just a 2D game who's art style suffers because it very badly wants to be Dark Souls, stealing it's most arbitrary game mechanics.
>Arc System Works shits this out.

Everyone knows that Indie games are more original and unique than the old generic, repetitive TRIPLE-A titles. That's why after Spelunky became popular every game had to be tagged with "roguelike" for five years. Everyone knows "rng anything" means it's a roguelike, that's why Diablo is a roguelike too.

Is "Dark Souls" the next indie subgenre? Is every small budget game in the next decade going to be tagged "Dark Souls"?
>>
>>345166705
it'd be a good break from all the doomclones flooding the market
>>
>>345166819
You mean steam has new FPS games that arbitrarily decide the player shouldn't be able to look up or down? That copy the art style of the original 1993 Doom?

Because claiming that every FPS game is a knockoff of Doom in the same vein that these are would be really pushing it.
>>
Wasn't Salt & Sanctuary originally just a Dark Souls fangame?

Anyway, I like it a lot. A lot of the bosses are pretty damn cool and the world has some nice set pieces. Also, the brands were a nice touch. It really made the game feel like a successful fusion of Dark Souls and Symphony of the Night.
>>
>>345167354
Salt & Sanctuary looks somewhat like a decent game (this is opinionated but I think the art style of the game suffered because it wanted to have the same kind of 'dull and falling apart' look to everything, like the texture on the stone in the screenshot. I also haven't played it so that screenshot is cherry picking.)

Necropolis was a fairly hyped title that came out and was generally just a clunkier Dark Souls as far as I could tell. People pointed out how certain enemies had different 'factions' and fought eachother instead of you if you could handle them properly.

The game comes out, and it's basically just a clunkier souls game with what looks like an unfinished UI and people in reviews complaining about how enemies are just recolors.

Game devs responsible for Guilty Gear of all things decide now's the time to make a game who's art style, UI, and game mechanics all seem to be headed in the direction of "What if we made a Dark Souls super deformed game?'

I just think it's obnoxious to see a growing trend of games that clearly want to be it. Stamina bars, harsh death penalties, action RPGs, have all been around for a long while. One franchise does all of them, and does them really well, and has a cult following and in one month two shoddy looking games come out copying every little detail of it.

One of these is a $20 Early Access game, and the other is $30 making it more expensive than Dark Souls anyway. This is why I think "Dark Souls" is becoming a subgenre.
>>
>>345166705

What is the game on the top pic?
>>
>>345169484
Inferno Climber, currently early access.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/433450/
By Arc System Works.
>>
Salt and Sanctuary has a bunch of souls flavour arbitrarily thrown in because the dev likes it but its very much so a classic metroidvania. The art style isn't bad because of DaS, its bad because its just bad, theres no ulterior reason.

It doesn't work at all in your comparison.
>>
>>345169640

It is so weird to see this being developed by them. That is like Bethesda making an anime game.
>>
File: class-select.jpg (127 KB, 1274x648) Image search: [Google]
class-select.jpg
127 KB, 1274x648
>>345169783
Ok, I'll take that off the table and redirect my angst towards the two games that have come out in July and directly copy the battle system of Dark Souls. Necropolis a bit more, whereas Inferno Climber has a slightly more hack-and-slashy feel simply because attacks seem to use less stamina.
>>
>>345170386
Oops.
>>345169765
Meant to respond to you.
>>
>>345170494
>fire
>thunder
>dark
>light
>poison

that's just lazy, goddamn
>>
>>345170735
Early access in 2013: Disregard the fact that this looks just like Terraria, this is going to have multiple worlds, and space exploration, and unique races to play and randomly generated wildlife! For only $15 this game will eventually be out of early access, we PROMISE!

Early Access in 2016: There's this game that sold well, this is basically that game. The graphics are significantly worse. The combat isn't polished. Pay us $20 and we promise you we will eventually finish working on this similarly priced, vastly inferior alternative to a game that is actually popular.
>>
>>345170735
Oh, one more thing, the classes here:
>>345170386
Are actually just renamed versions of the exact classes you had in Dark Souls as well. Nameless One is the Deprived. I think Merchant is the Explorer, etc.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.