[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of the Binding of Isaac? Is it a fun game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 13
What do you think of the Binding of Isaac? Is it a fun game? Worth to pick up during a sale?
>>
>>345157195
its pretty fun
you should pick it up if you can get it for cheap (or free)
>>
>>345157195
Buy Rebirth, the remake you retard.
>>
>>345157195
The original runs like shit but has arguably a better balance and challenge, Rebirth is generally regarded as better. Just avoid Afterbirth, unless you're really that desperate for daily runs.

Game is okay, a little overhyped (and I'm speaking as someone with around 600 hours in BoI+Rebirth); great time-filler game.
>>
>>345157640
>tfw I fell for the Afterbirth meme
Not only does it suck, but I lost my 100% achievements status in Rebirth, which was NOT easy to get at all.
>>
I never get tired of this game. Even Afterbirth's shittiness didn't deter me.
>>
>>345158543
>tfw you finally got a Level 4 Meat Boy AND Bandage Girl right before Afterbirth
>tfw the tedium of those achievements was instantly made nonexistent because of Lilith
>>
>>345157195
Play this and decide for yourself. Keep in mind this particular flash takes a little while to load. http://eye.swfchan.com/flash.asp?id=119758&n=The+Binding+of+Isaac.swf
>>
someone fill me in on this afterbirth is bad joke, I don't get it.
>>
>>345157195
Remember to chew your steak, if you play too fast you are the cancer ruining gaming
>>
>>345160008
Stopwatch became an activate on damage item
>>
>>345157195
230 hours in normal isaac, 260 and counting on rebirth/afterbirth. I'd say yes.
>>
>>345160059
>release unfinished version to meet ship date
>"oh.we.did.not.notice.more.than.half.of.all.items.were.missing" 2 weeks later
>>
Whoever came up with the Keeper needs to be shot.
>>
>>345160008
The release was terrible and was made almost entirely of items that made the game more tedious
>>
>all my BOI:R saves were deleted
>lost my will to play
>>
File: eternal god.png (325 KB, 1015x772) Image search: [Google]
eternal god.png
325 KB, 1015x772
>launch game

>Suffer through edgy-as-fuck intro

>Quit before starting

>Years later

>Decide to give it a second chance

>Gameplay is mediocre

>Dev thinks a couple of notes between floors is a substitute for a proper soundtrack

>Even worse, it is full of memespouting garbage.

>Edge is considered an acceptable substitute for quality of gameplay.

>Procedural generation a crutch to avoid proper game design.

>Procedural gameplay also a crutch to avoid game balance, as some items are fucking useless while others are amazing, and they are given in no particular order and with little if any accounting for their relative value.

>As a result of the above, the only good characters to play are the ones who take pains to mitigate bad RNG (Isaac post-dice unlock, Cain with his lucky foot.)

>Literal invincible combos available, anyone can beat it if they're willing to die until they get one.

>Additionally, keys and bombs are resources you typically drown in or have almost none of; resource management is typically a joke.

>Story panders to neckbeards who are angry mommy took them to Church. Read Edmund's April Fools post if you think he isn't fedora tier.

>Game experiences drastic slowdown on a laptop with an i5, 16 GB ram, and SSD installation, despite looking like a flash game from over a decade ago.

>Power-ups have no proper game balance and often help or hinder each other in retardedly drastic ways.

>Best power-ups are often only best because of bug abuse (e.g. tapping while firing brimstone) while others are stupidly anti-player (devil deals with eternal/soul hearts left killing the player)

>Angel/Devil Room Mechanics are based on game session rather than run, need to quit and relaunch the game to have a decent/any chance of seeing them.

>Last version of base game is glitched, achievements are messed up and Edmund has made no effort to patch them.

How can anyone possibly call this game good, let alone pay for it a second time?
>>
>>345160008
>mislead people into thinking there'd be more content than there actually was
Such as blue womb, literally a recolour of the womb with a single (albeit decent) bossfight and a couple item rooms, being listed as an "entirely new floor"
>Nerfed items unnecessarily
Although they somewhat got back to their senses on this one, the month was hell for the ridiculous and outright illogical nerfs
>greed mode was literally broken and easily scummed
>greed mode often damages you unfairly via enemies spawning on you without any warning
>greed mode just plain sucks
>most of the new challenges are fucking awful
>there's literally only 2 actual new enemies, the rest are rehashes of existing ones
Many didn't even bother with new art, with recolours everywhere
>none of the new standard bosses are good, most being rehashes on existing ones

Do I need to go on?
It'd take a while, I was there for the shitstorm. Don't even get me started on the ARG bullcrap.
>>
>>345160431
(You)
>>
>>345157195
It's like gambling without a chance to get any money out of it, the whole game is just a dumb slot machine with shit pacing

McMillen must be kicking himself for not telling those devs to program some sort of external steam drops for his shitty game
>>
>>345160647
>(You) instead of any attempt to refute any of it, because you know I'm right

You Issac manchildren are all the same.
>>
Wasn't the final dlc supposed to release sometime this summer, did Fatmund forget?
>>
>>345160431
>didn't like the original BoI's soundtrack

Entire post invalidated.
>>
File: great game design.png (169 KB, 1223x938) Image search: [Google]
great game design.png
169 KB, 1223x938
>you have to wait for the flies to float away from the rocks just to kill them

Fuck this room so much.
>>
>>345160629
so what I'm getting from the replies is people are so mad about a crappy launch and a re-balance of the most guaranteed win item in any game ever, they call the entire dlc as it stands garbage?
Sounds just like /v/
never change guys.
>>
>>345158543
>>345159484
>Muh cheevos
Fucking autists.
>>
>>345161161

He nerfed several fun items for no fucking reason. Somethings overpowered? The whole point of the game is becoming as stupidly powerful as possible, think something is too good, then simply don't fucking pick it up, a LOT of the nerfs were so stupid not even NL could defend them.
>>
>>345160746
Why are you even here?

Nobody refuted you as it's your opinion, and most of it is valid anyway - just some of the points you'd made as negatives are positives to those that play the game.
>>
>>345161161
It's ironic too because these are the same people who bitched about Rebirth being too easy compared to the original.
>>
>>345161161
So you conveniently ignored over half of my post?
Fucking brilliant. Top-ass quality posting, my friend.
>>
>>345161320
Isaac is always shilled as good here, in its various incarnations.

>Say you don't like it in general
LOL GIT GUD XDD I BET U DIDN'T BEAT ______

>Get all the achievements in each version
LOL IF U DIDN"T LIKE IT Y DID U PLAY IT XDDD

You're inconsistent and immature children who stick your head in the sand when it's pointed out that your game is shit and that its maker is a fedora-tipping incompetent who can't design his way out of a paper bag.
>>
>>345160629
Not to mention people were already pissed about the Lost, generally.
>>
>tfw trying to fight mega-satan as the lost

JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP
>>
>>345161448

Ignoring the points that destroy your argument is how you win on 4chan dude, how new are you.
>>
>>345161570
Dude I agree with you, but I still like it.

Why are you in this thread?
>>
>>345161613
>try mega satan as the lost for the first time
>car battery + blank card + 2 ehwaz runes + mom's knife
>just stabbed the fuck out of everything
Thank fuck.
>>
>>345161975
>ehwaz
I meant Algiz.
>>
>>345161891
I want to save would-be dupes from falling for the hype and buying any of these shitty games.

If one person changes their mind about buying it, my time is well-spent.
>>
>>345161448
I lumped most of in to "launch issues" as they have long ago been patched.

Womb was a misunderstanding by the community, though it WAS disappointing that it wasn't an ending boss.

nerfing unnecessarily is subjective, so I can't argue with your poing of view, but devs tend to do things for a reason.

more new enemies would have been nice, but adding new type to EEERY existing enemy is a fairly large addition, imho.

your couple points on "good" or not is your opinion. I don't agree, but so be it.

>>345161305
I like being overpowered as much as the next guy, but be honest, as sooin as you've hit that point the game is over and the fun drops off considerably. Again, devs seem to balance for a reason.
>>
For me BoI is just not fun when you start a fresh new game because of lack of items. It takes forever to clear rooms because the game gives you shit items and I just wanna play fast and not hit each enemy 5 times.
>>
>>345162095
They can try the free flash early version. Or pirate.
>>
File: 1452326113711.gif (2 MB, 350x310) Image search: [Google]
1452326113711.gif
2 MB, 350x310
>Play as the lost
>First boss is the Haunt or the Ragman
>>
>>345162097
>I like being overpowered as much as the next guy, but be honest, as sooin as you've hit that point the game is over and the fun drops off considerably. Again, devs seem to balance for a reason.

Not all buffs were bad mind you, but shit no one even argued about like lilith's chest getting nerfed. At 2 charge you were free to use it as you pleased, but at 3 charged you had to micro manage optimal efficiency. It ruined a fun item for no reason at all. If someone thought the cost was too short they could simply willingly not use it, but nah fuck everyone over.
>>
>>345162097
>I lumped most of in to "launch issues" as they have long ago been patched.
So that means people can't be pissed off by it? It's not like Afterbirth added much, most of what it adds is retreads of existing material rather than new attack patterns for enemies or many new unique items.

Go fuck yourself honestly. Shit taste swine.
>>
>Release afterbirth
>all the good devil deal items are 10 times harder to get
>Keeper can't pick up any of the good items unless he lucked out on dead cat or judas tongue

Still trying to beat the womb with that fucker but it's always finally get a good run into exploding fly next to the doorway that gets instantly killed by blue fly
>>
>>345162467

>Still no incentive to go angel route at all, ever.
>>
>>345161204
you realize progress is directly tied to achievements
>>
>>345162395
I'll do that later.
You can live your life mad, feeeel free, but the OP was asking about a game NOW not at release.

Hell, he can pirate it and see what he thinks.

Also, I'm sure the chest was nerfed for greed mode alone. Lilith was way too strong.
>>
>>345162180
This.
This issues was only worsened by Afterbirth's various early-game bullet spoges like Ragman and those fucking blue maggots. It's not challenging in the least, it's just fucking annoying. Almost all the """new""" enemies either just explode now (usually on death) or shoot out tears (also usually on death) h- which doesn't really add any challenge at all, it's just fucking lazy.
>>
>>345162380
Yeah Lilith was one of the last straws for me.
Playing as Lilith in greed mode was fun as fuck before it was ruined.
>>
>>345162639
Did you forget Afterbirth costs extra cash? So skipping it is not only easy, it saves money too!
>>
File: gun to head.gif (2 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
gun to head.gif
2 MB, 250x188
>>345161161
Afterbirth killed speedrunning the game because of so many mediocre to outright-shit items that were added. It used to take a lot less resets to get a 10 character run started in rebirth, it's way too tedious to attempt now.

Shit Game Quit Forever
>>
>>345162652

Let's not forget the "new" rooms that force you into taking damage

>spikes before item pedestal

fuck off
>>
>>345162741
Mods fixed racing.
>>
>>345162741
>pre-afterbirth average about 25 minutes a run
>post-afterbirth I get bored half the time and quit because half the items do literally nothing outside of specific circumstances

Afterbirth was probably the fastest instance of an entire gaming community dissolving I've ever seen
>>
>>345162815
This is fucking retarded. Why the cock did they do this?
>>
Well, I'm playing the game again, thanks /v/

fuck u
>>
>>345163059

I highly doubt I'll even buy the DLC, I'll probably just watch NL videos again

>>345163105

Cause it's """"""""""hard""""""""""
>>
>>345163105
I'm convinced edmund designed afterbirth with the sole purpose of breaking every basic game design rule possible, trolling the entire BoI community.
>>
>>345157592

Isn't it exhausting to be so angry all the time?

All he did was ask about the game and you're calling him a retard for not asking about a different game. I think the original version is pretty good.

What sucks is the "Eternal Edition" DLC.
>can't use Shift for bombs anymore
Literally objectively downgraded.
>>
File: eden.jpg (374 KB, 966x636) Image search: [Google]
eden.jpg
374 KB, 966x636
>>345163160

fuck
>>
>>345163313
Take the 1 heart deal and then the 2 heart deal. Game will let you take both if you take them in that order.
>>
>>345163196

He probably destroyed the game so he'd have to stop working on it. We've heard NOTHING about the "new" dlc.

>Hehehe secrets XD

Appeals to no one anymore, he's just annoying.
>>
File: 1420738793609.png (90 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1420738793609.png
90 KB, 700x700
>>345162652
>Those black chargers with a fuck ton of health
>Those fuckers that spawn the black chargers
>In the early game
Seriously what the fuck.
>>
>>345163313
What are you, an idiot?
Take the 1 heart then the 2
Even if you only had 1 heart, Afterbirth changes deals to soul heart deals once you run out of reds.
>>
File: egg.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
egg.jpg
37 KB, 1280x720
egg
>>
>>345163568
Oh yeah they were black not blue.
Haven't played this game in about half a year Yes, afterbirth made me quit. Got fed up of the average run being so tedious
>>
>>345162815
they don't, but they are annoying rooms.
>>
>>345163840

Does he still play this?
>>
File: isaac.png (285 KB, 796x1324) Image search: [Google]
isaac.png
285 KB, 796x1324
>>345163281

Why do developers downgrade games?
>>
>>345163196
While I think a lot of game balance decisions were made by Nicalis/Tyrone and not Edmund himself, the fat fuck almost certainly wants to be done with the Isaac games at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the decisions like spikes in treasure rooms/secret rooms or buttons that spawn eight monstros were just so he can go "LOL GOT EM" to himself when he saw posts about it.

I think he got fed up with his fanbase because he wanted to do his dumbass ARG for Rebirth and was mad that the community datamined The Lost rather than solve it. Then for Afterbirth he had any code relating to Keeper literally ripped from the game before release, causing 90% of the release bugs and crashes.

The one thing I'll grant in his defense is The Hush is technically an end boss in that if you haven't unlocked the Cathedral/Dark Room, then The Hush is the last boss in the game.

>>345164290
(you)
>>
>>345161305
>>345162097
But you need to be overpowered to beat the game since it's so ridiculously hard otherwise.
>>
>>345157195
It's too luck based now to be fun for me. It was difficult in the original to get a string of bad items like it is in Rebirth. There's also a few rooms where you're guaranteed to take damage unless you can fly, and a few others that are unbeatable if you're range gets nerfed (rooms with pits and wall spiders, for instances).
>>
I want this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo4cnvF2iw4
>>
>>345164934
The unavoidable damage rooms got patched out after people complained they could make the take-no-damage achievements impossible, and I think there's a minimum range to stop those rooms being unbeatable but I'm not entirely sure on that.
>>
File: U6drl9h.png (16 KB, 688x569) Image search: [Google]
U6drl9h.png
16 KB, 688x569
>>345165192
I forgot my image.
>>
THAT FUCKING SPEED CHALLENGE
>>
who here 1001%
>>
>>345165534
They patched the game to make your base speed faster in that challenge, maybe your shot speed too, can't remember. It's still a piece of shit but the brains challenge was the fucking worst for me.
>>
>>345165628
I actually found the BRAINS challenge fun. But fuck the speed challenge
>>
>tfw 100+ hours in original
>only 35 in rebirth
i don't know.... it felt like something just didn't click with me
>>
File: 1462820346148.jpg (106 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
1462820346148.jpg
106 KB, 601x601
>mfw the arg for that one character
WHY WHY WHY
ALL THAT BULLSHIT REDDIT TIER GARBAGE FOR A SHITTY CHARACTER
>>
>>345165994
I just didn't play the game until I heard it was over.
>>
>>345165994
what?
>>
>all I have to do to finish 100% is find the Mega Goat Head
>too lazy to do so
>>
File: 1467621024537.gif (2 MB, 316x213) Image search: [Google]
1467621024537.gif
2 MB, 316x213
>No desire to speedrun the game, and any later intent to speedrun will be augmented by the gameplay experience up to this point
>never felt like I was robbed of an experience if I never saw a broken or good item in a run, so the changes to them are also not noticed or felt.
>Larger variety of enemies in game is welcome, though the lack of actual unique permutations or actual unique enemies is frustrating. Same with the sturdier enemies
>Panties decidedly NOT in a twist about hush not being a final boss, as more optional bosses bodes well for me
>never encountered rooms that required damage to enter/exit to progress to the boss, so the patch only made the issue nonexistent or nil
>Greed mode being easily broken does not detract from the overall experience of the mode, nor was the mode advertised to be ball-wrenchingly hard

Call me an apologist, but I'm not salty about what I got with afterbirth. They could have done a better job with it, but overall I'm not disappointed with it.
>>
>>345167447
cuck
hate the game with us like everyone else
>>
>>345165994
How is it even possible to be this mad about it

Like yeah it was stupid and shitty but you didn't have to participate at all and you don't have to use the character.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.