[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So i just started playing gothic 1 and i found it to be suprisingly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: Gothic-.jpg (84 KB, 819x800) Image search: [Google]
Gothic-.jpg
84 KB, 819x800
So i just started playing gothic 1 and i found it to be suprisingly good.
>The world and its inhabitants feel alive.
>The 3 different factions/camps seem varied and fleshed out.
>The movement feels stiff but not at all clunky.

I love the combat sooo much. Combat is difficult at low level not because of the amount of damage points you deliver, its because your character cant swing a sword for shit.
Once you level up your character actually starts using his weapon more effectively, its not just about an increase in stats which i love.
The game also really delivers the feeling of working your way up in the world since in the begining your so weak you can't stand up to anyone, So your treated you like shit 24/7.
The feeling of getting back at those people who wronged you once you're all leveled up and powerfull as fuck is indescribeble.
What the hell happened to the gothic franchise /v/?
>>
Like all good franchises it went to shit due to a boatload of reasons.
Even something that was almost perfect like the HoMM series went to shit.
>>
>>345016589
One of the best german games.
It get serious following in Eastern Europe too.
Gothic II with expansion is really great.
Risen isn't that bad either.
What happened?
Outsourced.
>>
I was always more of a Morrowind guy but first Gothic games were pretty amazing. Make sure you play the sequel, then sequel with expansion.
>>
>>345017000
Yeah, I heard the second game is well precived :)
What elements are improved in gothic 2?
>>
>>345017000
>>345016942
*received* also nice trips
>>
>>345017287

All of them
>>
>>345017287
aside from bigger better in pretty much every way it adds a back step block which just rounds up the combat nicely
>>
>>345017287
bigger, better designed world with lots of cool stuff to find, better professions, more enemies and NPCs, just more everything really
>>
>>345016942
>What happened?
>Outsourced.
Not entire correct.

It's a rather complex drama but i will try to keep it short.
>Gothic 3 gets made
>Jowood the publisher runs out of money
>forces a far too early release
>game gets critically panned for the bugs and the unfinishedness
>Jowood also outsourced an addon to indians who developed it next to Piranha Bytes without their okay just so they can sell the same game twice
>Piranha part way with Jowood
>lawsuits over the IP rights happen
>at the end Jowood gets the right to keep the IP rights for a certain amount of time but after that they need to give every IP right to Piranha
>Jowood releases the poo in the loo addon
>its fucking garbage and insultingly bad on every possible level
>it only exists to be the pre-story for Arcania - A new RPG set in the Gothic universe made by other literally whos for Jowood
>in the meantime Piranha Bytes do Risen with Deep Silver as publisher
>Arcania gets released and flops as well
>Rights go back to Piranha
>But instead of doing a new Gothic they keep searching for their own identity within the Risen series
>and now they make ELEX because they still have no idea on how to make a new Gothic
>>
>>345017608
>>345017639
>>345017873
I think G1 had better story and atmosphere
>>
>>345017972
for sure, there is a kind of Mistery feeling that just no there in G2
>>
>gothic threads everyday
What happened?
>>
>>345018209
Someone probably replayed it again.
>>
>>345018209
One guy replays it and others jump on the ship as well
>>
>>345018209
VACATION TIME BUDDY
plenty of time to play new games while away from work
>>
>>345017901

you missed the part where most of the original crew left piranha bytes somewhere between gothic 3 and risen 1
now they only have a bunch of untalented fagets and like 1 guy of the old team left

those new people are disgusting, they literally believe that risen 2 and 3 were good in any aspect, so of course they gon fuck up ELEX

just watch the footage for ELEX:

>gothic 3 level graphics
>out of place assets
>combat system is like a worse gothic 1 system with dark souls rolling
>obligatory retarded AI
>story sounds stupid
>hud looks like it's straight out of 1999
>video itself is of lowest quality
>hurr fucking guns in muh swordfight gam durrr

I wish I had the resources they had, I can think of a dozen better concepts and would actually be capable of producing something presentable with a team like that.
>>
File: Everything hurts.png (338 KB, 1273x979) Image search: [Google]
Everything hurts.png
338 KB, 1273x979
YFW your buddies from Sect became Seekers
>>
>>345020572
Wrong.
If you watch their dev documentary you would see plenty of devs there who joined during Gothic 1-2-3s development.

There never was a massive rush out of the studio. Piranha have like 15 employees and over the years some left and others joined. Nothing extraordinary.
>>
>>345020819

Then I suggest you watch all the other sources too and you would realize that the key people have left except for that 1 idea guy faget, who is probably also responsible for the whole muh pirates shit.
>>
>>345021012
Some people say that Mike Hoge is the mastermind behind Gothic but i don't really see it.
The mistakes Piranha made were not related to that kind of stuff.
Gothic 3 was disappointing because the game got rushed and instead of trying to be Neo-Ultima it tried to be TES game.
And Risen with them going back to what they know was fine again. Risen 2 however was another flop that happend because Deep Silver forced them to cut the world into parts so shitty consoles could run it. Pirates becoming a theme is only a side product of that.
>>
>>345016589
>what happened
joowood rushed gothic 3, combat model was terrible, then they kept true to g3 gameplay model in every next game (risens, arcanias, whatever)

also, gothic devs are incapable of making large projects. g2 was just big enough, g3 lost this world consistency g1/g2 had
>>
People need to stop acting like Piranha Bytes have changed in their core. They really haven't. Even Risen 2 and Risen 3 still had the same quest designs and characters. Some were even literally the same because references.

They could easily do another game on Gothic / Gothic 2 level of quality if only they would accept those design choices and stop trying to be modern. ELEX makes a lot of promises - But again: Risen 3 made a lot as well and at the end it was a weird mix of Piranha trying to fix things and Risen 2 or Deep Silver still holding them back.
>>
>>345021269

Regardless of how the gothic history or Risen were, you can clearly tell from the footage of ELEX that it's going to be shit for the reasons listed above.

They have a recent interview with the bald guy (the one from the old team) and 2 other really young and imo retarded devs, going on about how well they did with risen 2 and 3 and what great ideas they had...

meanwhile Risen 1 sold more than 2 and 3 together I think
>>
>>345021976
There are no sale numbers for those games.

I think Risen 2 did better than Risen 1 because Risen 1 was a critical success for the most parts, Risen 3 might have sold less but even there Piranha said that they and Deep Silver were pleased with the results.
They could have done another Risen but i guess they didn't really want to or Nordic simply made a better offer.
>>
>>345021880

That's a nice theory but:

Risen 2 / 3

>graphics weren't top notch
>gameplay / combat was atrocious
>story was ultra lame, especially part 3
>music was average

that's pretty much all elements of a video game and not single one was better than 'acceptable' with most bordering on 'unacceptable' - i.e. they didn't have any unique selling point whatsoever, in fact they barely had any selling point at all

they won't fix that by strictly going back to the gothic recipe and they clearly stated they don't want to do that
>>
>>345022190

There are, for 2. Though they stopped writing about it after the initial rush. It died off quickly.
For 3 they didn't even bother mention it, most likely because it did horrible from the beginning.

Also in Germany you can't have failed projects. Both companies probably agreed to pretend it was a success to save face.
>>
>>345022564
Sadly the music cannot get fixed because Rosenkranz left them and that was one heavy loss. Risen 2 and 3 definitely don't have bad OSTs but they aren't anything special either.

Besides that the graphics never were good. Gothic and Gothic 2 looked dated for their time. But the combat was indeed pretty shitty and they could only ''fix'' Risen 2 with late emergency patches. That showed that they had no idea what to do with the combat in general because Risen 2 was like their least buggy game at launch.

I remember baldy saying that they started working with controllers due to the games getting released on consoles so i guess this unknown territory was bad for them.

Gameplaywise nothing changed all that much except that they reduced or removed certain aspects of it. Like you needing to get maps in order to see locations or the lack of food and potion animations and you being able to heal yourself while pausing the game with the inventory.

ELEX atleast wants to change those parts again and go back to the old formula. Piranha need more fans who slap them and tell them to fuck off i guess.
>>
Is risen 1 good?
I thought of playing those games after im done with gothic.
>>
>feel alive

Gas yourself, shill.
>>
>>345024194
Risen 1 is great. 2 and 3 are forgettable.
>>
>>345020572
Risen 3 did fix a lot that was wrong with 2 though, still medicore but it was alright.
>>
>>345020710
That's what you get when you do drugs.

Don't do drugs kids.
>>
>>345024194
It's pretty good, basically what Gothic 3 should have been. Still worse than 1/2 though.

Also great music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL1rYvK2Y3s
>>
>>345024446
>he literally never played one of the greatest RPGs of the world
>>
I heard they use dark souls combat as inspiation for ELEX, is this true? Are there any videos with combat?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.