[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Onimusha: Warlords
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13
File: Onimusha_-_Warlords_Coverart.png (145 KB, 256x362) Image search: [Google]
Onimusha_-_Warlords_Coverart.png
145 KB, 256x362
I just beated this game for the first time. It was kinda cool, even if it was short and the dub was retarded, but I am dissaponted at how the game just "ends", as if Capcom had run out of money. Are the sequels better?
>>
File: jean reno.jpg (106 KB, 822x1023) Image search: [Google]
jean reno.jpg
106 KB, 822x1023
2 and 3 are pretty good, but the games only get goofier in terms of story.

Like in 2 you have a group of maladjusted friends with personality quirks and an actual out-of-place romance arc. You even get an incredibly flamboyant demon swordsman rival. But even that's grounded compared to 3.

In 3 you return as Samanosuke. But Guildenstern invents demonic time-travel and invades 2005 Paris. Seriously. Then Samanosuke gets sent to 2005 Paris to fight the demons, whilst a French cop played by Jean Reno gets sent to Samanosuke's era of feudal Japan to fight Nobunaga's forces there.
It's as absurd as it sounds, and it's great.

I can't speak for Dawn of Dreams, I never got around to playing it, but I can only assume it's even sillier.
>>
>>345014507
Holy shit, the third one sounds awesome. I love that french guy.
>>
File: onimusha 3.jpg (196 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
onimusha 3.jpg
196 KB, 1920x1080
>>345014860
Yeah, he's pretty cool. It's still kind of weird how he starts really fucking confused as to what's going on, and within a few hours he's executing demons with his pistol after smashing them to the ground with a giant ice mace-whip.
>>
>>345012391
playd this for the first time about 4 months ago besides the awkward control scheme I had a pretty decent time i'm glad it was so short in the sense it iddn't overstay its welcome. I guess would be a bti disappointed if i paid 40 quid for it though, the dark realm (? cant rmb the name) was legit challenging on a first play through as well.
>>
>>345016925
Considering it predates DMC 1, I'd say it handles it's combat pretty well. I liked the classic Resident Evil feel mixed with basic sword combat. It wasn't anything amazing, but I don't regret paying full price for it at the time it came out.
>>
>>345014507
>>345016482
Holy fuck, really? I knew Jean Reno was in the third game but is the plot really like that?

Shit man I tried the first game and couldn't get into it due to the horrible controls, but I might have to go back to the series just for the third game. That sounds amazing.
>>
>>345016925

You do realize it came out in early 00's right? 4-5 hours games were perfectly acceptable back then. PS2 games do not cost that much either
>>
File: Donnie-Yen.jpg (34 KB, 704x384) Image search: [Google]
Donnie-Yen.jpg
34 KB, 704x384
>>345014860
Pshh. That's nothing, son. The intro to 3 was choreographed by Donnie Yen.
>>
>>345012391
2 is my favourite, loved playing through it multiple times to get different paths.
>>
>>345012391
own this game, never tried playing it, you reminded me that i own it though so maybe ill check it out
>>
>>345017472
If it's any consolation, they ditched the tank controls in 3. You've got more natural 3D movement, but still the fixed cameras unfortunately, IIRC. Kind of like DMC 1 but without jumping.

>>345017596
You mean the section with Samanosuke boarding the demon airshipt and fighting Gargant? Holy fuck, that shit was amazing, that explains everything. How based can you be?
>>
>>345014507
didn't they originally simply make a character based on jean reno, then he somehow got wind of it and requested to be in the game? I remember some reading some ridiculous shit about how it came to be.
>>
For someone new to the series, which game should I start with?
>>
>>345018038
Could be, I wouldn't know. Considering that Samanosuke and Jubei were also modeled off their real-world actor counterparts, I suppose it's possible that Reno could've found out and felt like getting involved as well. Or possibly someone at Capcom is a massive westaboo...which is already pretty likely, given RE, DMC and a ton of other examples...
I'd say it could be both, really.
>>
>>345018248
>>
>>345018248
First thing to ask: How do you feel about tank controls and classic Resident Evil? If you like them, then go straight for 1 and play them in order.
If you can't stand tank controls, go for 3 or DoD, then work your way backwards if you're invested in the series enough to tolerate tank controls. That's about it, really.
>>
>>345012391
Anyone know what improvements the Xbox version adds?
>>
>>345012391
>You do realize it came out in early 00's right? 4-5 hours games were perfectly acceptable back then. PS2 games do not cost that much either

Onimusha 4 is the best one mechanically, but it has a lot of annoying things (500 floors of demon realms, ultimate weapons are weaker than weapons with wind slash on them, level-up system, and only few characters has anti-air moves)
>>
File: suplex.gif (978 KB, 500x211) Image search: [Google]
suplex.gif
978 KB, 500x211
>>345018028
RIGHT!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8L34rvLOxY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX6G8wWzE-E
The game got super famous for using an A lister actor for the very first time in a video game. Takeshi Kenishiro is famous all over Asia since he is fluent in both Japanese and Chinese and has started in movies from all over the East and I think he was also in Johnny Mnemonic.

With 3 they wanted western appeal so why not bring a western actor an continue the tradition. Fortunately Jean Reno had become famous in the US for the Professional, is a French and European icon, and had jut released a movie set in Japan that hit big there called Wasabi (Fucking cool movie, btw).

Then you add Donnie motherfucking Yet to the mix? Love this fucking game!
>>
>>345018453
basically, the Onimusha 2 purple orb system and the little doll tyrant, that's it
>>
>>345018453
I've only see people post that one Nemesis-like doll thing. Can't say I see the appeal even though people think it's a massive improvement on the PS2 version, the doll just seems like a massive damage sponge and I'm not even sure you can Issen it.
>>
Onimusha 2 is the best in the series.
>>
>>345012391
2 and 3 get progressively weirder in terms of plot but the overall game play with added mechanics stays consistent throughout the game and is pretty well done.

Onimusha DOD is where they jump the shark, as a lot of capcom games do when they get a lot of sequels. The gameplay is definitely improved though and each character feels pretty good to control. The party is definitely more important in this one, and you don't see the return of samanosuke
>>
>>345018714
Mainly because of this guy.
What's his name again?
>>
File: 1369782883047.gif (2 MB, 255x164) Image search: [Google]
1369782883047.gif
2 MB, 255x164
>ctrl+f genma
>0 of 0

casual thursday
>>
File: 18g[1].jpg (33 KB, 560x390) Image search: [Google]
18g[1].jpg
33 KB, 560x390
>>345012391
Those zombie soldiers murdering everyone in the beginning scared the fuck out of me as a child.

sorry best image I could find
>>
>>345018714
4 is the best in the series, but 2 has the best theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml8WA1mjqjo

also, Soki didnt even try to tap that delicious ass and she's practically offering herself on a golden plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjQ7Dj5Xw7E
>>
>>345018839
Gogandantes~!
Onimusha 2 is best because of it's replayability. It's friendship system made the game more dynamic like RE3.
>>
>>345019039
>Soki didnt even try to tap that delicious ass and she's practically offering herself on a golden plate.
Every Onimusha Jubei suffers the fate of his waifu/husbando leaving them. I had a ton of fun with Oni4 more than with O3 but still O2 is my fav.
>>
>>345018937
Even though it's the most basic in terms of gameplay, I still like Warlords more than most of the others, simply because it actually felt like a borderline classic-RE style survival/action-horror game. You're just one guy (and also your kunoichi friend who shows up sometimes) against a horde of Japanese demons. It's a lot creepier than the other games, even though it's still kind of goofy.
>>
Onimusha HD Collection when?
>>
File: onimusha_screen016.jpg (50 KB, 474x375) Image search: [Google]
onimusha_screen016.jpg
50 KB, 474x375
>>345018937
onimusha 1 is supposed to be the Resident Evil 3. Capcom decided to try putting it in feudal ages since they wrote themselves in a corner with 2.

It was for ps1 originally, but since they needed a new game for the summer, they made RE3 with scraps from RE2
>>
The intro to Onimusha 2 is both chilling and chill depending which part of it you watch. Still one of my favorite intros of all time.
>>
>>345019452
Provably never.

From what I've heard it's the fact that they used real actors for the games. Since re releasing the games would mean ponying up royalties to use them again it'd be almost as costly as making the games all over again.
>>
>>345014507
Don't forget at the end of Onimusha 3 Samonasuke gets sent back to his time but just as Nobunaga kills his past self which allows present Sam to take past Sam's Oni Gauntlet and go full Ascended Super Oni.
>>
>he needs a gauntlet to absorb souls or turn into a Oni
tip top kek
>>
You know what I remember pissed me off about these games? No audio options.

I really didn't like the dubbing and they didn't have the decency to let you switch to the original Japanese (and French in 3) dialogue.
>>
>>345012391
If you have a xboxhuge play genma
>>
>>345020053
Yeah, that was pretty silly.
I was pretty disappointed that Jacques didn't get to help out against Nobunaga. What did he even do whilst Samanosuke was fighting Nobunaga? I think his story ended prematurely or something. Samanosuke does all the important stuff like killing Guidenstern and Nobunaga, but I can't remember what Jacques did apart from help past-Samanosuke for a bit and beat up Marcellus some more.

>>345020318
You know, despite being an actual Oni, I feel like Jubei got kind of shafted too. Samanosuke gets to beat Fortinbras and actually kill Nobunaga, whilst Jubei's efforts to kill Nobunaga are completely rendered meaningless when he comes back in 3. Kinda sucks for him, really.
>>
>>345014507
Dawn of Dreams' plot is just full-of-anime and you can see it in the very first opening video. Game's pretty shitty though. They got rid of tank controls but everything else was made so god damn clunky and impactless.
>>
>>345014507
>>345020543
The only problem with Dawn of Dreams was that the game was too long
>>
JUUUBEI

COME TO ME JUBEI
>>
>>345020534
Jubei had no big agenda besides killing the man responsible for destroying his clan. Besides he was busy breeding a superior clan to create the ultimate cutie you see in Onimusha 4. What did Samonusuke achieve by that time besides turning into a white haired fuckboi lolicon.
>>
>>345021312
He killed two demon lords. And then helps kill them again.
Jubei did the right thing going home and becoming a family man. Pity he never got Oyu though.
>>
>>345012391
its a game you suppose to play through multipel times and speed run through (or that`s how i look at it).

if you liked one, two and three are worth playing as well.
>>
File: onimusha.png (941 KB, 1128x787) Image search: [Google]
onimusha.png
941 KB, 1128x787
>>
>>345021442
>Pity he never got Oyu though.
Oyu was a slut just like her daughter in O4
>>
>>345021883
I got all 3 of these games for $1Because gamestop are retards that thought no one liked the PS2 anymore nor would ever again.
>>
>>345019704
JUBEI! JUBEI.... HAHAHAHA

i honestly though she was bullshiting jubei at first beacuse how creepy she sounded
>>
I tried to play the Xbox version but couldn't stand the camera. Which is weird because I love RE1, 2 and DMC1.
>>
File: revolting demon.jpg (114 KB, 691x649) Image search: [Google]
revolting demon.jpg
114 KB, 691x649
>>345021080
>>345022195
>Do you like what you see~ Fufufu~
>>
>>345022136
you could just emulate it but good for you.
>>
>>345021834
Warlords > Samurai's Destiny

The gift bullshit was horrible and crowbarred in.

Someone had to say it. Sorry.
>>
>>345026141
It's only bullshit if replayability and variety are a negatives to you. You don't have to gift a single person to finish the game but it adds a extra a incentive to experiment.
>>
>>345026828
Nah, it just adds faff when you could've just included each character scenario unconditionally, like they did with Kaede in Warlords and whats-her-name in Demon Siege. I don't think I ever found the perfect gifting scenario that got you every single character's sequence in one playthrough. I'm not even convinced that it can be done, to be honest.
Also, farming for gold for all the shop items sucked too.
>>
>>345020534
Jubei IS Samanosuke. You get to find out in DoD
>>
>>345028025
That sounds like some serious bullshit right there.
>>
File: that feel.gif (7 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
that feel.gif
7 KB, 645x773
>Onimusha 2

>Ekei tells you the story of how he lost his family

>He describes hearing his wife and infant daughter screaming as they are burned alive in the castle that was on fire
>>
>>345028909
>Magoichi just complains about him 'chasing ghosts' and is generally kind of a dick about it
>>
File: Magoichi.jpg (51 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Magoichi.jpg
51 KB, 1280x720
>>345029109
Can somebody into weeaboo culture please explain the function of japanese riflemen wearing this retarded head brace armor?

How much protection can this piece of shit really provide?
>>
>>345029328
I've absolutely no idea. Then again, very few of the main character's designs make practical sense.
>Oyu's zettai ryouki + boobplate armour
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.