[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Edge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: edgy_reaper.jpg (104 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
edgy_reaper.jpg
104 KB, 437x437
I know we like to make fun of edgy characters, but is edge OK so long as the edgy character is clearly a bad guy?

I mean, it's only ridiculous if the edgy character is the protagonist that we are somehow supposed to be rooting for.

But what if the character is a bad guy that we're supposed to be rooting against?

Is a little edge OK when the character is evil?
>>
>>344997450
There's definitely more leeway for the bad guy to be edgy, but even still of he's too edgy it looks dumb, it's just that the ceiling is higher for bad guys.
>>
>>344997621
What if the bad guy is ridiculously over the top in his edginess in a series that's supposed to be ridiculous and not taken seriously and seen as more of a parody?

Would there be no need for a ceiling in that sense?
>>
>>344997450
A little edge is okay for any character really, but too much of it and it becomes ridiculous unless the character is intentionally over the top edgemeister as a joke.
>>
File: Reaper.jpg (179 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Reaper.jpg
179 KB, 600x900
>>344998767
>unless the character is intentionally over the top edgemeister as a joke.

This is why Reaper works so well. He's so over the top in his edginess in contrast to all the other over the top characters in Overwatch that it all balances out.

Plus he's obviously a bad guy who's bent on global terrorism, so the edge works for his character.
>>
Edge can be a point in the progression of a character

Either at the start and watching him grow more empathetic, or at the end where traumatic events make him no longer give a fuck

Edge in itself isnt bad, its how its developed after the initial creation
>>
Can you guys come up with some well-done examples of edgy characters as well as some poor ones?
>>
>>344997835
>that's supposed to be ridiculous and not taken seriously and seen as more of a parody?
>he's dumb
>b-but he's supposed to be dumb!
99% of the times this is just an excuse and does not make it less dumb, unless the whole game is supposed to be a comedy.
>>
>>345000082
Neku in twewy
>>
Some of his voicelines are really cringeworthy, thats the only problem with Reaper.
>>
>>345000082
Virgil, Vegeta, that devil hand guy from god hand

Can't think of any real bad ones right now
>>
>>345000358
Vegeta isn't even edgy, he was doing his job. When he stopped doing that he just became a bitch.
>>
File: OuchTheSharpness.jpg (38 KB, 400x366) Image search: [Google]
OuchTheSharpness.jpg
38 KB, 400x366
>>345000082
>Poor ones
Obligatory
>>
>>345000082
Raiden falls somewhere in there
>>
>>345000467
Vegeta is edgy but he has the right amount of edge. You're mistaking edgelord supreme with just just edge.
>>
>>345000613
Edge is unnecessary violence or DARKNESS for the sake of it,to the point of being cringeworthy. His job was conquering Earth and whoever opposed it and he just did that. The only "edgy" thing he did could be killing Nappa, but it's not like he tortured him or anything and whoever fails a mission does get killed by Freezer anyway.
>>
>>344997450
Edgy is just a meme
>>
>>345001043
Again, you're confusing edgeious maximus with just edge.

Edge as you described it would be death metal bands and such who use unnecessary violence and shit in their songs and whatnot.

Now say you own a bar or whatever and you wanna get some security in. Obviously you want your guards to look intimidating, but also if a person is just too drunk to see shit they shouldn't take any shit and kick him out, literally. You want your guards to have some edge in them.
>>
>>345001043
>Edge is unnecessary violence or DARKNESS for the sake of it
So if i say "kill all of *ethnic group* because i hate them" it's not edgy because it's for a reason?
>>
The Edge threshold varies from setting to setting. The demon king who consumes souls, dresses in all black and carries a giant flaming bone scythe and preaches the eternal doom of mankind is far more tolerable in a fantasy JRPG than in, say, a western sci-fi shooter.

>>344999618
Reaper is great, and funnily enough I'd say he's far less edgy and far more likable than Widowmaker, at least when it comes to supplemental material. Reaper has yet to utter a line as stupid as Widowmaker's narration for the Alive short.
>>
File: cutting edge technology.png (552 KB, 600x823) Image search: [Google]
cutting edge technology.png
552 KB, 600x823
>>345000503
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.