[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the repair system really necessary in these games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
Is the repair system really necessary in these games?
>>
they should be.
>>
>>344969220
Oh boy, sure is fun opening another menu at each bonfire to make sure everything is durable.
>>
>>344969164
There are crystal weapons you know. Otherwise what is the downside of crystal weapons?
>>
>>344969164
In Dark Souls 2 it may be because weapons broke faster. Especially against that one boss in the DLC.
>>
>>344969302

No it's definitely better having weapons break on the spot so you don't hog use that katana the entire game.
>>
>>344969164
Yes because it inherently adds depth due to preperation.

Retards make the same argument saying weapon durability in Oblivion needed taking out because it "wasn't necessary".
>>
>>344969164
it creates a decision point so the player might try other options. like going to a different area. or using a different weapon.
>>
>>344969309
Show me a crystal weapon worth a shit. I'll wait.
>>
>>344969309
You can have a few breakable weapons without having a global durability system. The Biggoron Sword in Ocarina of Time shatters after a few hits, and no other weapon in the game even loses sharpness.
>>
File: 1463199580957.png (542 KB, 461x871) Image search: [Google]
1463199580957.png
542 KB, 461x871
>>344969164
Dark Souls 3 says 'no, it isn't'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiM48lb7n3A

DS1 and DS2 had interesting systems for it. DS1 made it feel like you were adventuring and your gear would gradually wear over time as you trek on, while DS2 encouraged you to consider other weapons to vary your loadout and give some greater use to having several loadout slots for weapons, or otherwise avoid encounters, and return to the zone later to explore different places.
Durability also provides an extra layer of balance to armour sets, bringing more worth to levelling equipload as, most commonly, light armour has less durability, giving you more reason to avoid damage entirely, rather than heavy sets with high end/str simply tanking through it.

Man, fuck DS3. What a disaster.
>>
>>344969309
Made my Grass Crest Shield crystal. Stupidest mistake of my entire life.
>>
>>344969732
What the fuck does Crystal shields even do?
>>
>>344969732
I made the same mistake but with the black iron great shield. All that time wasted.
>>
>>344969652
>he didn't get the real sword

Filthy casuals
>>
Idk does it really matter. Just stfu u retarded ass faghot ffs
>>
>>344969164

In 1 and 2, yes. In 3 it was a completely pointless feature. Has anyone ever had a weapon break in 3?
>>
>>344969950
Increased stability and I think it increases damage with shield attacks too
>>
>>344970694
I vaguely remember some enemy melted all my gear with some kind of acid
>>
>>344969164
No.
The durability system was pretty pointless, and it's pointlessness increased with each installment.
Dark Souls 1, I have yet to play Demon's Souls, was the only one that did durability "right," as in, it was a stat you actually had to keep track of.
Dark Souls 2 trivialized it by making bonfires reset durability.
Dark Souls 3 simply included the words and the numbers, but they ultimately mean nothing.

>>344969426
>>344969470
These are good points except for the fact that it's piss easy to fix broken weapons.
>>
>>344970694
In 2 weapons break way to fast. Use a katana and it won't make it between bonfires. Especially if you hit a wall / the ground or whatever while fighting an enemy . I think 3 probably has the right balance between 1 and 2. That being said it's a stupid mechanic that doesn't and any real depth to combat. Weapon durability low? Oh I'll just pop a repair powder
>>
>>344970891
Dark souls 1 fixed all equipped durability when resting at a bonfire
>>
>>344970981
no
darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Durability
>>
>>344970981
100% wrong, that was only introduced in 2
>>
>>344970981
No it doesn't. You have to manually repair everything you own each time it needs repairing. Either go to a smith or buy a repair box and use your souls.
>>
>>344970892
>what is wood grain ring?
>>
>>344971010
DWGR gives you ninja flip
East wood grain ring reduces durability loss
>>
>>344971071
>>344971085
>>344971130
Oh right the repair box. The item you get 10 minutes into the game that lets you repair at all bonfires. How could I forget?
>>
>>344969164
No. I honestly forget it was in the game.
>>
>>344972536
You wouldn´t have forgotten if you had actually played it. Sorting through menus to repair stuff every time you rest up isn't exactly something you forget
>>
>>344969486
+15 crystal greatsword
>>
>>344972778
Sorting thru menus? What game did you play? Press down two or 3 times. Press X to repair the weapon. Press right. Press X a few more times to repair armor. Mash O to exit. Whole process takes a few seconds.
>>
DS1 > BB > DS2 > DS3
>>
If weapons like the Scrapping Spear and stuff like Acid Surge actually worked, it'd be a bigger deal.
The Scrapping Spear was amazing in DeS because of the limited carry weight, so people couldn't carry every fucking weapon and armor set on you at all times.
>>
In ds2 it's like physical version of spell cast limits. You need to prep to last from bonfire to bonfire.
>>
>>344969465
>Retards make the same argument saying weapon durability in Oblivion needed taking out because it "wasn't necessary".

>We get smithing in Skyrim
>We lose durability
FOR WHAT FUCKING PURPOSE TODD? SO YOU CAN SHOW HOW YOU'VE LEARNED NOTHING WITH BROKEN ALCHEMY IN A NEW SYSTEM?
>>
>>344969164
also on topic durability hasn't meant SHIT in any of the DaS games since 1 and a handful of places in 2 and 3. Like completely fucking pointless, no thought required.
>>
>>344973729
This. If you're going to have durability the DS2 way is probably the way to go. Now there remains the question of whether or not it's worth implementing in the first place.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.