[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: versus.jpg (162 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
versus.jpg
162 KB, 1280x720
Well, /v/?
>>
>>344955827
Super Mario 64 is literally perfect.

Banjo Kazooie is only popular because of its humor and soundtrack. Gameplay is subpar compared to SM64.
>>
>>344955827
Super Mario 64 is the tighter, more refined experience, while Banjo has more variety in objectives and locals.
>>
>>344955827
64 no contest.
>>
Banjo Kazooie is ok but has virtually no replay value. You play it once for its one universe and that's it. Meanwhile Super Mario 64 has infinite parallel universes to enjoy.
>>
File: beta_snowpainting.jpg (142 KB, 1294x990) Image search: [Google]
beta_snowpainting.jpg
142 KB, 1294x990
>>344955827
64 is a fluid platformer with well-designed levels

Banjo is a clunky, slow-paced collectable that requires no skill
>>
>>344956674
BK actually can be replayed, and it's enjoyable.

But SM64 is just so much more solidly built.
>>
>>344956807
I agree with this, I always enjoyed BK a bit more.
>>
>>344955827
BK is good, but 64 is out of this universe.
>>
Mario 64 is a platformer

Banjo kazooie is an action adventure.
>>
Super Mario 64 codified the 3D platformer.
Banjo-Kazooie perfected it.
>>
SM64:
+EXTREMELY tight controls that allow for open ended platforming and maneuverability
-Recycled music on every other level

BK:
+Better music (and dynamic, with several different versions within the same level)
+Better graphics (though SM64 was a lauch game, so this is a bit unfair)
+Better characters
+Better settings
+Better humor
+"Charm"
-General 'platforming' is somewhat limited by design.

I like BK more in the end. I feel like Mario's gameplay has the capability to be much deeper, so I respect it in that regard, but I BK is the kind of experience that sticks with you more cause of it's personality and production.
>>
>>344960075
This SM64's controls are still the best in the series, but BK has more interesting locales. Personally I think I like SM64 a bit more.
>>
>>344960075
Infinitely this
>>
controls: Mario 64
music: mario 64
level design: mario 64
Mario wins
>>
Super Mario 64, because it's just more simplistic, the stars at the menu give you an idea of what to do (Although, some can be really fucking cryptic.) There's a lot of level to travel so you can just play around, Mario controls great, although 100 coin stars are one of the worst aspects of the game.

I personally find it a bit overwhelming with collecting things in BK, There's notes everywhere, and jiggies can be in various locations without any hint as to where they are, but to give it credit, that just means you should be exploring, there's no time limit, so you can take your time to make sure you got everything, thank god it's no DK64, collecting shit in that game is virtually hell.
>>
>>344956712
>Banjo
>Clunky

The delusion. And SM64's camera is abysmal compared.
>>
collect a thons really really suck.
>>
banjo kazooie, hands down.
>>
>>344955827
Tooie+´`¨|¨~?/°§@1"#$%_()'?~;:.-.,-+´¨|*¨~>
>>
>>344957719
Zelda is action adventure. Banjo is a platformer.
>>
>>344955827
Super Mario 64:
>too floaty for me. I really hate loose controls in games, and don't derive any enjoyment from "weight" which really just makes me feel like i'm actively fighting the controls and am locked to a trajectory once I jump.
>worlds are super short and empty most of the time. Sparse enemies.
>Constantly kicked out of the world after a star.

Banjo:
>tighter controls and more movement options that lend themselves to verticality and control much better than sm64.
>can collect jiggies and stay in the level
>worlds are larger with multiple sub-areas
>more enemies
>much more charm
>better music
>better artstyle
>INFINITELY better camera than sm64
>other NPCs you can interact with
>multiple forms
>one of the best hubs in gaming
>>
Both are great in different ways

but sm64 if I had to choose
>>
>>344958206
This. BK is the objective winner and everyone who disagree disagree with reality and thus is an idiot.
>>
>>344960075
Spot on
>>
I like mario 64 more because it focuses more on platforming trials rather than collecting a bunch of shit
>>
>>344960075
>EXTREMELY tight controls that allow for open ended platforming and manueverability

I disagree with this.

BK was much more suited to platforming and handled better. There were things I really liked about SM64 but I've never played a 3D platformer that handled as well as BK.

The double jump alone gave you far more control and depth. You had Talon Trot for more speed and tighter turns, and could climb slopes and quickly jump from platform to platform. The climbing mechanic wasn't slow and clunky. Flying was smoother and had a dash move for traversing the map quickly. You could roll through enemies and obstacles to keep your forward momentum. Kazooie's Aerial Peck could extend your jumps and you could stagger the hits to kill enemies in multiple directions.

This is only talking about Kazooie. If we brought Tooie into the argument with the Banjo Swingpack shenanigans along with all the other control improvements and extra abilities then SM64 has no chance in hell of comparing.
>>
Banjo Tooie.
>>
Conkers Bad Fur Day beats the shit out of both of them
>>
>>344964034
No. Conker is a dope game but you play it for the comedy and references.
>>
>>344960075
well yeah. rare I general put Nintendo to shame. that's why they sold them.
>>
>>344956712
>64 fluid
>Banjo clunky
You've got it so backwards.
>>
>>344956712
64 is only decent for speedrunning. aside from that nothing involving "skills" is really all that interesting/useful.
>>
File: No fucks given.gif (1 MB, 469x680) Image search: [Google]
No fucks given.gif
1 MB, 469x680
>>344956712
64 has the clunkiest turnrate ever seen in a video game.
>>
>>344964118
In actuality it's a shit dated game with shit dated references. I played it without nostalgically being attached to it and it's fucking awful.
>>
>>344955827
Only thing 64 has over Banjo is its momentum/air-diving adding some crazy fun flexibility into the platforming once you git gud.

Otherwise Banjo in every other way possible beats 64 while still being perfectly functional in its lesser areas. Made 64 visually look like a beta test engine.
>>
>>344955827
One is a tech demo. The other is a complete game called Banjo Kazooie.

Having said that though, m64 is still better.
>>
File: conk2.webm (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
conk2.webm
2 MB, 480x360
>>344964521
>In actuality it's a shit dated game with shit dated references

dem graphics though

it's hard to believe this is running on a stock N64
>>
Super Mario 64 has the best physics of any platformer, bar none. No other game has captured the joy of bounding through a 3D space like 64.

That said, Banjo did literally everything else better.
>>
>>344964220
No I'm pretty sure he's right. Every move Mario makes is very deliberate.
>triple jump
>side flip from a turn around animation
>wall kicks
>long jumps
>backflip that isn't marred by a long start up
It's seriously the most fluid 3D platformer to this day. Banjo is "clunky" because every one of his moves takes long to come out. Trot has startup from Kazooie and you're going to be using this a lot anyway so it makes banjo feel a bit useless, flutter is slow and takes away momentum, and their backflip is one of the slowest moves I've ever had to use in a game. It's by no means a bad game, but it's a very basic feeling game where every move feels like it has it's own little set piece in each stage to be used, while SM64 is quite freeform.
>>344964767
I'll give it that. It looks good, but I thought it was absolute garbage compared to BK. Honestly BK is the only 64 rare game I can stand to play. Tooie's worlds are annoyingly big, DK's are worse and have way too many collectables. And that isn't even getting into how dated Goldeneye is or whatever Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini are supposed to be. You can probably tell I'm not much of a Rare fan.
>>
File: texans_afoster23_bow.gif (2 MB, 400x286) Image search: [Google]
texans_afoster23_bow.gif
2 MB, 400x286
I never got the appeal of Banjo. Not that it's a bad game, no I understand it's a good game. But I don't know why people feel like its a timeless classic. I never bothered with it as a kid and playing it as an adult it still felt second place to SM64. It was an 8/10 in its prime and a 7/10 if we're being generous today.

If I had to call a spade a spade I think a ton of Banjo love comes from nostalgia.

Pic unrelated.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.