[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /v/ hate him?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: tbaker.jpg (47 KB, 423x594) Image search: [Google]
tbaker.jpg
47 KB, 423x594
Why does /v/ hate him?
>>
>>344953463
Just like DSP, he's good looking and rich
>>
>>344953463
What's to hate? His delivery of Ocelot's lines in MGS V is hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGaGR9mftFY
>>
>>344953463

He's too prevalent.

Like JYB, you start to recognize his voice and tonal patterns, and that ruins every character he voices, because they just become a different looking troy baker.

Steve Blum also falls into this category
>>
Why do I hate him? That shitty AMA where he dodged almost every relevant question regarding anime.
>>
>>344953463
He looks like he has a :3 face
>>
File: 1465227178430.gif (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1465227178430.gif
3 MB, 1280x720
>>344953618
8/10
>>
>>344954252
I can't help but think this as well.
>>
You want a voice actress to hate? Hate Laura Bailey.
>>
>>344954503
Fuck you, she's gorgeous and talented.

Stupid fucking faggot.
>>
>>344954567
Didn't know you browsed /v/ Laura
>>
File: King Bunny.jpg (33 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
King Bunny.jpg
33 KB, 400x400
He's alright, but he's the Nicolas Cage of VAs.

Turn down a role every now and again, Troy... It really takes me out of the experience when I play as or talk to a character that is just Troy Baker phoning it in.
>>
File: 778.jpg (25 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
778.jpg
25 KB, 300x450
>>344953463
He's everywhere, which is silly to hate someone over, and more because he jumped on "fuck the old voices" bandwagon when Silent Hill HD Collection was getting made.
>>
>>344954109
I would too you fucking weeb.
>>
>>344954776
>said Guy Cihi wasn't an actor and was a bad James Sunderland
>still managed to be worse in the HD collection.
>>
Troy Baker is fine. There's a reason why guys like he and Nolan North get hired all the time. Here's a hint, it's not because they're bad at their jobs.

What's not fine is game devs casting him in every single fucking game. Your brain starts to get taken out of the experience as you recognize familiar intonations and voice patterns from other games you've played. Good voice acting, like so many other things, is best when your attention is not drawn to it.
>>
File: fools.png (6 KB, 212x237) Image search: [Google]
fools.png
6 KB, 212x237
Guy actually has good range.
Hardly his fault every dev asks him to do 'handsome man's voice for everything.

Hate the voice directors if anything.
>>
>>344953463
he's in everything, and a hypocrite

when Konami was producing that clusterfuck of a project called the silent hill HD collection, he was on the forefront of being a cunt, working with the unnecessary re-dub, and telling people that 'voice actors don't have rights' while Guy Cihi (the original VA of james sunderland) was fighting for his due payment and of his collegue voice actors

a couple of years later, when some VA's began complaining about similar issues in the US, he was one of dipshits that cried the loudest

fuck him
>>
>>344955047
>a couple of years later, when some VA's began complaining about similar issues in the US, he was one of dipshits that cried the loudest

Oh shit, really? Nice way to lose any credibility there he had.
>>
>>344955047
>voice actors don't have rights

That wasn't even close to what he was saying.
>>
He was a shithead about the Silent Hill HD collection.

Which is like his worst ever performance, so it was an odd thing to get defensive over.
>>
>>344955335
Okay, Troy. There's audio of you saying that VAs don't get royalties or rights, and that's fine, yet you went on strike when you didn't get them.
>>
>>344955465
>There's audio of you saying that VAs don't get royalties or rights, and that's fine, yet you went on strike when you didn't get them

That wasn't his argument. It's like you've been playing telephone, and this retardation is what you ended up with.

As for going on strike, not as if he had a choice. Do you know how unions work?
>>
>>344956164
>That wasn't his argument. It's like you've been playing telephone, and this retardation is what you ended up with.

Yet you post no evidence that I'm wrong? wew lad

>As for going on strike, not as if he had a choice. Do you know how unions work?

Right? If only human beings had free will and thought independently for themselves.
>>
>>344954109

I met him at a con, and I remember my friend asked him at a panel what it was like working with Kirk Thornton (who was the asshole teacher in P4, and one of the directors/writers of the English version of Bleach's Bount arc which Troy voiced Kariya and Kirk voiced Ugaki) and he was basically "yeah it's ok" and that's it.
>>
>>344954503
What did she do?
>>
>>344955046

Excalibur was his best role, and far superior to the Japanese version.

Shame he swept anime under the rug
>>
>>344956164
pretty sure he was quoted saying a lot of obnoxious shit - including that ''VA's have no rights'' during a conference, along with mary elizabeth mcglynn, who became the director of the re-dub project
>>
Overutilized in AAA titles. Like Nolan North was in 2008-2011. Even Saints Row made fun of this with its Nolan North voice.

No longer does Kanji's voice, although his replacement is fucking great.

Also they fucking retconned a brother for nathan drake into uncharted so they could

1. Cast Troy Baker in the game

2. Produce sequels with him as the main character.
>>
>>344956921
>Produce sequels with him as the main character.

really? is that planned? but hes even OLDER than Nathan. and only good chemistry with nathan, i cant imagine him alone. gross.
>>
>>344957275

With the way they ended it, they certainly left the door open for it.

Who knows though, maybe they'll use the daughter instead.
>>
Like Kevin Conroy as Batman, Troy Baker is overexposed in everything. Hearing Kevin Conroy as Batman just takes me out of the character.
>>
>>344957501
what? Troy Baker is TOO many things and they all sound the same. Kevin Conroy is literally ONE thing and it makes any other batman sound like shit.
>>
There are a lot of good voice actors in the video game industry.

There are barely any good voice directors though.
>>
Liked him as Yuri in Vesperia. I would say I'm tired of hearing him elsewhere, but I don't play AAA trash.
>>
>>344953463
He is popoular and good looking, all the other stuff people complain about is just their way to rationalize their hate.

>h-he is overused!
Because he is good at this job, not an argument
>h-he sounds the same!
Clearly false and easily proved by actually hearing the various characters he voiced

Just like people hated Nolan North before and will hate the next popoular VA
>>
>>344957975
>Because he is good at this job, not an argument
Just because someone is good at their job doesn't mean they can't be overused, genius.

>Clearly false and easily proved by actually hearing the various characters he voiced
Let me guess, you're going to cherry pick roles like Joel from TLoU and Sam from Uncharted 4 to justify your comment, but will conveniently forget the hundreds of other characters he played where he was just using his normal voice.
>>
He has good range but hes a fucking hypocrite and an entitled cunt with an ego larger than australia
>>
>>344958417
joel is just his regular voice with a slight texan accent, which btw no one has, im from west texas and only my GRANDparents even have remote accents. any lower generation has nothing at all.

and Sam was just his regular voice. recognized him immediately
>>
Why don't Gideon Emery and Quinton Flynn get more work?

I get real tired of listening to Troy Baker, Nolan North, Yuri Lowenthal, or Liam O'Brien in 9 out of every 10 games.
>>
>>344956565
she's a woman
>>
>>344953804
>Like JYB, you start to recognize his voice and tonal patterns
That's just plain bullshit. He isn't quite nearly typecasted.

Gul'dan, IEYASUUUUUUUUUUUUUU and Kanji all for example sound different.

>Steve Blum also falls into this category
Steve Blum is typecasted to extreme. Only rarely does he get something where he isn't told to do that one voice.
>>
>>344959562
Because some union kikes decided that Troy Baker, Nolan North, Yuri Lowenthal, and Liam O'Brien would be the ones to get first dibs on every gig. The voice acting scene is literally a cartel
>>
>>344960270
You do realise that only Baker is unionised, right?

That's why the rest of the bunch still appear on low budget stuff as well.
>>
>>344959562

>Gideon Emery

I really wish he got more leading roles, he's got a great voice and surprisingly decent range.
>>
>>344960137
This.
They have some range but usually get typecasted as tough male or rambunctious teen
>>
>>344953463
He's an arrogant asshat
>>
>>344953463

I don't, but a little more variety in VAs would be great. It's a problem though, given that it's inherently a smaller industry.
>>
>>344953463
>If you want to get into voice acting, I have some advice for you. Wait for me and Yuri Lowenthal to die.
He's monopolizing the market because of visionless AAA devs, and taunting others because of it.
>>
>>344953463
It got to the point where when he was featured in Call of Duty his character was literally Troy Baker with a gun having crazy exosuit adventures with his girlfriend
>>
>>344953463
Cause he is more successful than I will be in my entire life
>>
>>344960604
Nolan North*
>>
>>344953804
I'd argue that JYB has good range thats crippled by his distinct slurs and mispronunciations that take me out of it.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.