[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why this is so off compared to the first and the third one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: 66.jpg (493 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
66.jpg
493 KB, 1920x1200
Why this is so off compared to the first and the third one?
>>
because miyazaki wasn't involved
>>
>>344917761
Third one is also off
>>
>>344918164
>miyazaki

so with him the game wont be so fugly?
>>
>>344918164

He was. He just didn't direct the game.
>>
>>344917761
>>344918251
First one is shit, 2 and 3 the only good ones
>>
File: 1465323410296.png (221 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
1465323410296.png
221 KB, 500x300
>>344917761
Because they focused on "how can we make this game difficult" instead of "how can we make this game interesting".
>>
Because the B-team clearly lacked the design skill that A-team has.
>world design lacks a grand design like 1 had, areas feel illogically connected
>areas are bit too bland and ugly barring few exceptions
>enemy design just lacks the creativity that 1 had, too much humanoid enemies and not enough unique looking and memorable stuff like Gaping Dragon

However, the gameplay saves it from being a bad game, and it's possibly even better than 1 in that regard. It just lacks all that memorable design that gives the game a "soul" that makes it feel truly special.
>>
>>344922146
Hey Matthew
>>
>>344922938
Who?
>>
>>344922938
>if some eceleb has some opinion, you aren't allowed to have that same opinion anymore
wev
>>
>>344922146
git gud faggot
>>
>>344925059
I played and beat the game and the DLC. It's not even a "git gud" design, actually the game gets easy as fuck once you get a decent weapon. It's not fun to play when they literally design tons of enemies and areas to be tedious and annoying on purpose and by design. It's not immersive, it's not memorable, and it's not fun. It's a waste of time.
>>
Because the whole art direction is a bit amateurish

Also it made the mistake of being designed around MUH HARD DIFFICULTY instead of an interesting world
>>
File: Dead Zones.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Dead Zones.webm
3 MB, 800x450
It just controls like shit. Every animation has too many startup and recovery frames so the game just feels like ass to play.
>>
>>344927703
This. And dodge rolls don't help you cover any distance at all. It is like rolling in place.
>>
>people bitch about hurr ganks in DS2
>DS3 does the exact same thing and is praised because mitsubishi made it
>>
>tfw playing it right now
I think I've finally gotten used to the fastness and smoothness coming from DaS. I don't really see much of the "linear design" as a complaint yet but maybe I just need to travel, or maybe I won't see it like that. Some areas do seem to be made "harder" by throwing in more enemies which is just annoying more than anything else. Boss wise it's been up and down, they've used the "mass enemy" type thing for the rats and skeleton lords which is nice sort of but I didn't really enjoy the fights that much anyway. Some of the bosses so far are basically shit like Dragon Rider and others like silver Ornstein (and also the gargoyles) I like a bit more but they're still kind of lame because they're copied directly from DaS. Obviously I'm not finished but it's enjoyable so far, but not so much as DaS. Looking forward to trying 3 out as well.
>>
>>344917761

>acid surge does 7 durability damage again

how can they do it right, fuck up, fix it and then fuck it up again?
>>
3 > 2 > 1

this is not an opinion, it is fact.
>>
>>344928949
1 = 3 > 2

this is not an opinion, it is fact.
>>
>>344917761
I think part of it is that Miyazaki wasn't involved but also because it tried to do its own thing a whole lot more than 3 which felt more like a direct sequel to 1 than 2 did, which I don't think is a good thing and I appreciate the fact that 2 experimented more even if it all of it didn't work out and leaves me preferring 2 more than 3 by a long shot.

I do think the game is also ugly at times and has some really lame bosses in it but I still think the game carries a lot of the atmosphere that a Souls game should and brings enough interesting things to the table to make it a worthy title, though I don't think it's quite as solid as DS1.
>>
BB > 1 > DeS > 3 > 2
>>
Because in comparison, 2 has the best fucking King of all
>>
File: ss+(2016-05-31+at+06.11.18).jpg (42 KB, 492x470) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-05-31+at+06.11.18).jpg
42 KB, 492x470
The core mechanics are the same but were changed a good bit to add "difficulty". In reality, everything just had a delay added to it. Shielding is delayed, movement is delayed, items are delayed, etc.

DS2 doesn't just encourage, but almost necessitates turtling with a 100% blocking shield unless you've played it a few times already, which is a shame because the combat is a lot of fun once you have 40+ endurance and 30+ adaptability.

SotFS addressed a lot of the basic complaints, but the mechanics of the game stayed mostly the same and the quality of the world design is still dreadful. Great art plagued by a tragic graphics downgrade. It still makes me sad.

Unpopular opinion time: I fucking loved most of the player animations in this game. It sucks that because DS2 was hated by a lot of people, they scrapped the animations and went back to the DS1 animation set.
>>
>>344928949
>>344929090
literally nobody cares about your gay power ranking system
>>
File: maxpayne.jpg (28 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
maxpayne.jpg
28 KB, 350x350
I always find it a bit funny when people act like 3 wasn't ten times worse than 2 just because it fellates DS1's dick from start to finish.
3 is in no way like 1 at all. Not even a bit.

That doesn't mean it's bad, but it's not better than 2, let alone 1.
>>
>>344931296
>cuck king
>didn't even have any kids

Pfffft

Oceiros got to shack up with Gwynevere, but Gwyn is the only King who didn't get fucked over to some extent.
>>
I enjoy some bits of 2. The area before Mythra was okayish, but then I remember Ancient Dragon Iron Passage Dragon Shrine Rat bosses Huntsman copse Skeleton Lord Alonne's Memory Brume Tower Lud and Zallen Giant Memories Nashandra and it's all overshadowed by that shit.

So much of 2 feels designed by Namco marketers, attempting to satisfy the "prepare to die" meme they've been pushing for ages. And what could've been a great game suffers as a result.
>>
>>344917761
Because it doesn't really feel like Souls, it feels like a Dark Souls-Zelda hybrid (which is why I enjoy this game the most).
>>
>>344932306
The animations in DS2 are great.

I'm not sure if I prefer DS1 or 2's animations, honestly.

DS1's animations look pretty good already and they just work for the fast action they were made for.

DS2's look smoother and perhaps more realistic. I think the effort is very commendable, it looks good.
A lot of the gestures lose their charm though sadly because they're just not even the same ones anymore.
And for some reason they decided that the gestures of DS2 were to be reused but nothing else.

What a shame.

I really miss the classic "Well! What is it!"
>>
File: The Power of Alonne.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
The Power of Alonne.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Dark Souls 2 is literally a perfect game.
>>
Shulva is the best level in the entire series, full of secrets to discover which required interaction like activating the switches with arrows and all that stuff, it's like a better Sen's

Prove me wrong, you can't
>>
>>344924096
>>344923418
>says the exact quote from not even e-celebs video
> lol, it's just a coincidence

Fuck you, own up.

Also, I loved every second of SoTFS. People just had such a boner over DS1 that when DS2 wasn't the same they had nothing to do but complain.
>>
>>344933940
I wish they cowered before my will like this in my game.
>>
It feels like a cheap DaS clone
Like, I refuse to believe the people who created areas like Anor Londo or the Undead Burg had anything to do with this game
>>
>>344932726
I don't see how sticking closer to DS1 makes the third game worse by a significant amount. DS2 had an embarrassingly bad world, bad enough that DS3's hammy revisit of DS1 locations looks like it was crafted by God himself.
>>
File: Southworth.jpg (13 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
Southworth.jpg
13 KB, 214x317
>>344917761
Dan Southworth motion capturing
>>
>>344934080

>anor londo is good

Literally a meme, anor londo is shit level design wise and you know it
>>
>>344933619
I couldn't agree more about the gestures. They were far too visually busy in DS2 to have the same effect. In a more perfect world, the character animations from DS2 and the gesture animations (or at least the style of them) from DS1 would have been combined in the third game.
>>
>>344933998
It's a great area, but it also feels very "videogamey". Same kind of feeling with Drangleic Castle, Brume Tower or Iron Keep, which is why I think DaS2 is more Zelda-ish than the other games.
>>
>>344934285

That's why it's better
>>
>>344934130
Not OP, but I disagree. DS2 felt like it existed in it's own space, which made the references to DS1 actually feel special. DS3's explanation of "transitory lands" comes off as an excuse to prey on nostalgia.

DS1 had much better level design than DS2, but that doesn't mean Ds2 didn't have it's own independent world. That's something DS3 doesn't have.
>>
>>344934130
DS3's areas were just (sometimes even literal) copies of DS1's areas, arranged into a straight line. That's the world of DS3. Fuck that shit. No, it's not better.

DS2's world was completely original, it was bigger than DS1's world and at least tried to be as open as it too. Some minor revisiting of DS1 ideas but nothing that's outright "lol here's another Undead Burg/Catacombs/Lower Blighttown level for you fucks."
>>
>>344926857
so ur talking about DaS3?
>>
>>344920396
>3
>good
>>
File: asda.jpg (28 KB, 272x272) Image search: [Google]
asda.jpg
28 KB, 272x272
Dark Souls 1

>Catacombs
>Gank Forest
>Poison Swamp
>Demon Ruins
>Archives
>Anor Londo

Dark Souls 3

>Catacombs
>Gank Forest
>Poison Swamp
>Demon Ruins
>Archives
>Literally Anor Londo

Hey at least DS2 tries to be more original and the whole game is not about "hey remember that cool thing about DS1? how good the first game was :ยด^)"
>>
>>344934282
Yeah. I mean, the equivalent of "Well! What is it!" in DS2 is a very condescending kind of gesture, which isn't at all what I thought it should be. Also, I didn't like how weapons would disappear from your hands when doing gestures.

In DS1 I thought it was more of a welcoming, nice and kinda goofy gesture, though some tryhards also used it to basically talk shit to their fallen opponents in PvP.
>>
>>344917761
Lazy design and too many gank situations.
Vendrick for an example of lazy design only has 2 moves really and is only remotely gard due to a large health pool and massive attack power. He is really predictable but since the fight is dragged out so long you'll quite possibly end up screwing up at some point. I understand it's probably supposed to be like the True King Allant fight, but at least that fight was more or less just a set piece, and not a drawn out fight.
>>
>>344927894
This is literally just you being retarded and not knowing the game's mechanics.
>>
Demon's Souls is the best. If you disagree, you're a tryhard who thought the game was "2ez" because it was your last Souls game. Also you didn't play it because you're a fucking faggot who doesn't own a PS3 and and should just to play it and sell it later maybe.
>>
>>344936279
played des first. it never hooked me, tendency was confusing, and everything was rough around the edges and clunky. never even beat it

i ended up putting thousands of hours into das1.
>>
>>344936279
Demon's Souls is tied with DS1 as the best.
>>
>>344936279
It's pretty great, but shit like world tendency was retarded. You could screw yourself out of npc encounters because died one too many times in the levels. Item burden wasn't great either.
>>
>>344932726
>>344935350
This. The majority of DS2 hate comes from nostalgia-goggle wearing meme spouters who follow the loudest members of the herd.

>Enemies die after 10 times so you don't have to go through the mundane task of killing them if your dieing like a bitch
>Bonfire ascetics are fucking great and im angry they are not in DaS3
>New enemies spawn in NG+ giving it more replay value
>Humanoid enemies actually aren't all that bad and provide more of challenge for the most part
>more varied locations
>poise made ultra greatswords badass
>Weapon balance for PvE was more balanced and allowed for more creativity
>Jobbing giant made leveling up so much more easier it was of no issue if you wanted to get to PvP meta level
>Lucatiel was a pretty cool nigga
>Had more customization options then DaS1 for character creation
>Majula's theme is pretty fucking comfy
>Desert Sorceress (And you can even dress up as her HOLY SHIT)
>Sexiest Witch outfit
>DLC was 10 out 10 if you didn't count how similar the soldiers were
>THE DARK
>Blighttown 2 didn't actually suck
>"HOW FUCKING DEEP IS THIS SHIT HOLE"

DS2 is fucking great
>>
>>344937817
There's no reason for bonfire aesetics in 3 besides maybe the one NG+ weapon
>>
>>344922146

And the weird part is that just resulted in cheap shit being put in to inflate the difficulty like trap chests and ridiculous enemy poise/tracking. Aside from that it's probably the easiest Souls game.
>>
>>344939175

Replaying the bosses you like
Getting all the available boss weapons (I wanted to use Yhorm's machete and greatshield fuck A team)
>>
>>344935350

Add

>Firelink
>Kiln

To that list
>>
>>344939673
Yeah. Or maybe you just want enemies to be harder and don't feel like playing NG+ all over again. And being able to fight the bosses on-demand. There was nothing to lose by having them.

I thought that From would be better able to determine what was good about their games and what wasn't. They know what they're doing with their games, but with Souls they're so scared of doing what they feel is good. That's why shit like bonfire ascetics didn't make a comeback.

Just because DS2 wasn't received that well by a loud minority didn't mean that they had to scrap the plenty great things about it for DS3. It wasn't perfect DS1 and DeS weren't either, not by any means.
>>
>>344917761
if by off you mean best then yeah, its a straight upgrade from the first and its rehash
>>
>>344920396
seconding this
>>
>>344927703
>>344927894
>baaaaaaaaaaaaww i actually have to use tactics instead of rolling like a retard
>>
>>344917761
>dark souls 1
star wars original trilogy
>dark souls 2
the prequels
>dark souls 3
awakening of the force
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.