[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There are too many games on steam. Genuinely good games get lost
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: steam-os-planet-steam-logo.jpg (60 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
steam-os-planet-steam-logo.jpg
60 KB, 854x480
There are too many games on steam.
Genuinely good games get lost amongst the sea of shovelware.
Why is this allowed
>>
>>344839735
>i dont know how to search properly, the post
>>
File: thj6hdrepavbfxrwbjuv.jpg (33 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
thj6hdrepavbfxrwbjuv.jpg
33 KB, 800x450
>>344839735
so they can brag amount teh amount of STEEM GAMES
quality control left orbit long ago
>>
>>344839735
Because this is the future you chose
>>
Well that's one reason curators exist. And online imageboards like this where people can recommend you some games
>>
>consoles
NO GAEMS XD
>steam
OMG TOO MANY GAMESSSSS

you're just looking for shit to get mad about at this point, /v/
>>
File: 1271387147274.png (9 KB, 344x341) Image search: [Google]
1271387147274.png
9 KB, 344x341
>first steam sale where didn't buy anything
>spent ~4 hours total over course of sale searching
>search by category, rating, genre etc
>still nothing

Sometimes I just wonder if I don't like vidya anymore.

The only things I'm interested in are in early access or in development, and I've been burned too many times by buying into alphas/betas.
>>
>>344839735

This isn't just an issue with Steam; this is an issue with the modern world. Our culture is now focused around eliminating 'elitist' experts, and giving Joe Every Guy the tools to create their own company, software, tool, game, etc etc. The end result is a steaming pile of horse manure infesting every single industry.
>>
>>344839949
yeah man it's totally okay for games like there's poop in my soup and shower with your dad simulator to be on the front page of steam
>>
>>344839794
>duplicate results
>missing results
>no way to exclude
>that awful layout

Steam search doesn't work for shit.
>>
>>344839735
Because PC gaming doesn't get good games anymore and Steam would die if it wasn't getting shovelware instead. Valve would then have to actually make new games, and that'll never happen.
>>
>>344840138
You're supposed to go on PSN and look at the games and then find it on Steam or bitch at the developer if it's not on PC.
>>
>>344840126
does it hurt you in any way?
>>
I like having a better selection of games.

just because you are too dumb to make an informed purchase, dont take it out on Steam
>>
How do you prevent this? I've seen you retards call Umihara Kawasa shovelware so it's not like you could be trusted with picking out the gems from the trash.
>>
>>344839735
>>344839794
he's right though

you can pay $100 to put any garbage on steam now

before the whole greenlight thing getting on steam was kind of a big deal, I mean not huge but there catalogue was fucking tiny until a few years ago comparatively
>>
>>344840306
This is going to sound unbelievable given the amount of shit to come out of greenlight, but most games submitted to greenlight don't ever get greenlit
>>
You wouldn't blindly purchase games anyway, even if there were stricter guidelines. In fact, I'd expect people to make potential purchase decisions, not by browsing the store, but though word of mouth and such like.

Moreover, at least compared to time before the "floodgates opened", actually good but niche games have been able to get to Steam as well. For example, a game like Gary Grigsby's War in the East/West is widely considered the magnum opus of WW2 wargaming or even hex and counter wargames in general, but I wouldn't have been able to see it in Steam at the time of its release in 2010 (regardless of if the publisher would have wanted to get it in or not). And even when Steam greenlight was introduced, games like Dominions 4 really struggled to get in. Now, greenlight is/was a populist platform where "meme games" got an easy pass and it of course would have been possible for Valve to vet the games on their own but they didn't and no other digital distribution platform that I know does, so current situation is an improvement over what we had previously.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.