[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Oddly the thing that I was most surprised about [w
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 11
File: 2994105-2[3].png (3 MB, 1916x1055) Image search: [Google]
2994105-2[3].png
3 MB, 1916x1055
>"Oddly the thing that I was most surprised about [with the crowdfunding process] is that there are this many people out there that are willing to support a title like this," said Koji Igarashi. "If you think about it it's an old school title, a 2D side scrolling game, IGA-vania game if you will. But there were a ton of supporters that want this sort of gameplay and the reality is there's not a lot of these games out there, not like this at least. Just seeing that support, seeing that there's been years, and years, and years, and people still want to play these games felt great."
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/436603/Bloodstained+is+heading+into+full+production/

Is this guy high? If anything there are too many Metroid-vanias.
>>
I think he means by other developers.
>>
>>344697981
It's not 2D, sadly. If I wanted a 2.5D sidescroller, I'd play Mirror of Fate - even with the combat.
>>
>>344697981
Indie metroidvanias, but yeah not a developer pushing them out.
>>
>>344698505

http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Metroidvania/#p=0&tab=NewReleases
>>
>>344697981
Japan devs are completely out of touch with the playerbase
>>
>>344697981
>If anything there are too many Metroid-vanias.

Not really. A majority of the games in Steam listed with the ''Metroidvania'' tag are not really Metroidvanias.
>>
>>344698872
>indie on every single game
0 devs
see
>>344698505
>>
>>344698998
idiot
>>
>>344698924
Good, because playerbases are faggots that deserve no sympathy.
>>
>>344698872

And how many of those are in the same vein as SoTN and the like?
>>
>>344699147

Thanks for your worthless contribution to the thread.
>>
>>344699204
Which is why Japan keeps putting out terrible games
>>
>>344699227

Like 1% of them. I own a good number of the titles listed there and a lot of them are just action platformers with light exploration or are more Metroid like and not Metroidvania like Environmental Station Alpha.
>>
>>344698872

>VVVVVV
>Metroidvania

The steam tags are not really accurate.
>>
castlevania-style "metroidvanias" have always been and always will be better than the metroid-style "metroidvania" games
however most indie devs just copy metroid because of DUDE NINTENDO LMAO
bloodstained is basically our best hope for another good castlevania style "metroidvania" right now
>>
>>344698689
> If I wanted a 2.5D sidescroller, I'd play Mirror of Fate

Why would you do that? It's meh at best

>>344698924
Look anon. Do you know what's going on in Russia right now with gaming? I sure don't. It's hard for devs on the other side of the world to know all the NA-only Metroidvanias that release, because those games simply don't come out in Japan. The games are not high profile enough to get major notice outside of the region they come out in and sometimes not even there.
>>
>>344698689

Gameplay wise what is the difference between 2d and 2.5d? Is the same perspective.
>>
File: 1379513826065.jpg (73 KB, 750x574) Image search: [Google]
1379513826065.jpg
73 KB, 750x574
>>344697981
>IGA-vania game if you will
>>
File: shrugging man in red shirt.jpg (17 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
shrugging man in red shirt.jpg
17 KB, 384x313
>>344699668
>Classicvania
>IGAvania
>LoSvania
>>
>>344699668

He pushed for Symphony to be an exploration rpg game that we love, so he is saying he founded that style of Castlevania game. He worked on all of the handheld ones minus Circle of the Moon.
>>
>>344699502
I agree with this man. So many indie Metroidvanias don't satisfy me like the CV ones did. I like Metroid but I tend to prefer CV. Most of the indies don't have a ton of items and equips or many varying hitbox attacks due to equipment variation. Something like Unepic had a lot of equips but the combat was rather poor and was just trading blows with little capability to dodge and it was too deep on the RPG side, even though I still enjoyed it. While something like Ori is too far on the platformer side and has hardly any real combat.
>>
>>344698872

Axion Verge and a ton of others in that list are not Metroidvanias.
>>
>>344699918
Yeah Axiom is straight up Metroid with no vania and some of its own touches like the different guns and the drone rather than morph ball
>>
>>344699492
The steam tags are not really accurate.
They lists CS:GO as a Strategy game, of course the tags are pure garbage.
>>
File: 1402337545771.gif (2 MB, 400x310) Image search: [Google]
1402337545771.gif
2 MB, 400x310
>>344698872
Most of those games are straight out not as good as pretty much any mainline Igavanias.

90% of that list is shovelware shit that does not deserve any attention. Filter it and you will be left with
>Ori that cares more about being dramatic and DEEP rather than having controls that don't feel like goddamn Litle Big Planet
>Guacamemes
>plain mediocrities like Axiom Verge and Aquaria

Shantae is the only franchise in that list that is worth shit and it still more of it's own thing because it lacks exploration, RPG elements difficulty and customization of Igavanias.
>>
>>344699139
Indie games don't grow naturally, they are also developed.
>>
There's actually quite a wide variety of gameplay variation to be found under the "Metroidvania" label.
>>
>>344700764
I think he sort of means industry vet devs or the like.
>>
Western indie games have no impact in Glorious Nippon.
>>
File: 609162.jpg (200 KB, 670x377) Image search: [Google]
609162.jpg
200 KB, 670x377
>>344701156
Chinese games do, though.
>>
>>344699535
Because Bloodstained is practically the same same but with better combat. It's not that much of a difference to warrant me buying it.

>>344699629
There isn't any. It's just a huge disappointment that a spiritual successor to Castlevania looks like shit.
>>
File: 1334187755105.jpg (37 KB, 485x347) Image search: [Google]
1334187755105.jpg
37 KB, 485x347
>>344697981
And all of them tend to fucking suck at filling the Castlevania part of that equation.
>>
>>344701489
Bloodstained plays almost nothing like Mirror of Fate, and everything like the handheld Castlevanias before it. There's no garbage climbing based platforming, fall damage, damage sponge enemies, and the map isn't completely fucking useless.
>>
>>344701515
Nigga, Aria of Sorrow was amazing. Dawn of Sorrow would've been too, if not for the artstyle.
>>
>>344701682
The fall damage and map were fucking retarded, and I already said that MoF has worse combat - the "damage sponge" enemies are necessary for the combo-based combat. The platforming was fine.
>>
>>344701691

>muh art style

If anything, Dawn suffers from a lack of urgency in the story and setting, and a "here we go again". They probably should have done something more with the mythos than a simple sequel. Like play out the Battle of 1999, explain some lore questions (why is Soma born so late after 99?) and make the story more about the impact of Soma being the new lord. Instead we got some side story with some cult in some place that didn't really matter. Was it even a castle? Why were there so many monsters there? Whole thing felt rehashy.
>>
>>344701691
Nigga what? I'm saying that none of these indie Metroidvanias feel anything like Symphony or the handheld Castlevanias. They all fail to capture the atmosphere, art, and music that made those games so appealing, and they usually throw in some gimmick that fucks up the gameplay. Most of them are focused on being more like Metroid than anything else, or trying to be the next hardcore "OH SO HARD" indie platformer.
>>
>>344701691
>Dawn of Sorrow is bad because of the artstyle of those 50x50 portraits you see for a total of 5 minutes throughout the game
>Dawn of Sorrow is bad because it forces you to spend whole one minute drawing shitty lines with a stylus

I want these shitty memes to die.
>>
>>344699204

Anon dropping truth bombs like it's no big deal.
>>
File: 51S7GR6Y9NL.jpg (51 KB, 369x333) Image search: [Google]
51S7GR6Y9NL.jpg
51 KB, 369x333
Besides the Igavanias, this game is my favorite metroidvania.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uez6UTU6lHo
>>
>>344702063
Oops. My mistake.
>>
>>344701923
>The platforming was fine.
No, god no it wasn't. The emphasis on climbing everything slowed movement down to a fucking snail's pace, and the fact that it was constantly segregated from the combat unlike literally every other Castlevania removed most of the tension. A void they tried to fill with fall damage, which has no fucking place in a 2D platformer to begin with.
>>
>>344699918
>>344700134
What the fuck do you people think a Metroidvania IS?

I swear to god have you come up with a new way to define it yet again?
>>
>>344702258

I liked it too. Was better than the fist one.
>>
>>344702063
That's mostly because atmosphere, art, immersion and magic always, without a single exception, mean "I played the game that has them before the ones that don't".
>>
>>344702315

Try to play them dipshit. Is not hard to figure out.
>>
>too many metroid-vanias
you have to keep in mind
>too many of them suck so badly you just forget them
>>
>>344702153
If you fail at drawing those lines you have to fight the boss again for a while. It's really obtrusive and a genuine flaw with the game.
That and the save points where all over the place, horrible placement. Other than that it's a great game.
>>
>>344702312
Not the game's fault that you're bad at platforming. It didn't take me long to get past said sections
>>
>>344701489
>Because Bloodstained is practically the same same
How do you know? The game isn't even out yet. You're just counting the 2.5D for too much and the other differences for too little. MoF didn't even have levels or equips.
>>
>>344699810
But Metriod started it. What a piece of shit trying to take credit for something he didnt do.
>>
>>344702597
Actually we already have a demo that shows how the game will play. Which makes it even more confusing how he came to that conclusion.
>MoF didn't even have levels
It did, they were basically useless though and only existed to unlock new combos and some minor damage upgrades.
>>
>>344702463
I've literally just finished this game and I only had problems drawing hexagon for the first time because I thought you had to do it slowly. I didn't even die to that mistake. It's fucking nothing.
>>
There's a lot of metroidvania esque games or ones with their own spin or take on it and a lot of them are really good but just from the alpha demo alone Bloodstained has that unique feeling that only the castlevanias do, I'm not sure if its the music or the floaty movement or what but it's definitely not the exact same experience
>>
>>344702315

Metroidvanias are games that combine Metroid style exploration with RPG elements like leveling, stats, item hoarding and builds. If it doesnt have the RPG part then its just a Metroid like game.
>>
>>344702597
It didn't need levels, and I don't think any Castlevania does.

I did miss the equipment, though.
>>
>>344702718
Metroid isn't an RPG
>>
>>344700402
Axiom Verge is more of a metriod like than a metriodvania. It's one of the few games thats just like metriod with no castlevania shit
>>
>>344702418
Axiom Verge is a Metroidvania. It was a catchall term for the type of gameplay that Castlevania SotN and Super Metroid shared, the backtracking, sequence-breakable gameplay where secrets were littered about to collect, and Axiom Verge is very much this. Being a mostly faithful Metroid game puts it on that fucking Metroidvania spectrum. If it was more faithful to SotN it'd still be a Metroidvania.

>>344702786
Ehhhhhnnnnnng, wrong. That's the second generation definition and it is fucking stupid. Metroid and Castlevania for a time shared a very similar structure of exploration and backtracking. That's it. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>344702763
Huh, I didn't recall it having them. I thought the moves were just unlocked with points.
>>
>>344702928

Classic Castlevania never had metroid like exploration.
>>
>>344702815
>It didn't need levels, and I don't think any Castlevania does.
I like them because they give me the illusion I'm getting stronger. My brain enjoys being tricked. Or in some of the games you actually are, like in SotN where the enemies are pretty weak and so leveling can get you over humps where your skill fails. Now something like OoE, yeah the levels are kind of meaningless because bosses can often 4 shot you or something and you'd need like 10 more levels to make it a 5 shot
>>
>>344702983
Yeah the highest you could go was level 20, and again the stat boosts you got from them were so minor they did basically nothing to help you.
>>
>>344702928
>Ehhhhhnnnnnng, wrong
Please consider suicide.

>>344703052
>My brain enjoys being tricked
You too.
>>
>>344702928
>It was a catchall term for the type of gameplay that Castlevania SotN and Super Metroid shared
Metroid games are not Metroidvanias. They are Metroid games. Super Metroid is not a Metroidvania.
>>
>>344699668
>>IGA-vania game if you will
He stated that he doesn't like to call his game Metroidvania because he had nothing to do with Metroid, and didn't want to misrepresent someone else's work. So he replaced Metroid with Iga.
>>
For some reason I always had the impression that it was poorly and cheaply made. But I got Valdis Story during the last Steam sale and to my surprise it really ranks up with the best games I've played these last couple of years. I've truly loved playing it and have already played through multiple playthroughs each with multiple of the available playable characters.
The story and characters are are kind of amusingly edgy though, but it's at the very least consistent and almost grows kind of charming in the long run because of it.

Truth be told though. I would probably liken the game more to Megaman Zero than anything Castlevania or Metroid.

Really though. Probably one of the most underrated games I've played as of late. Or perhaps it's just Metroidvanias themselves that are actually surprisingly niche by the end of the day. In the wake of all the other indie games that have gotten so much attention over the last few years, for better worse, I find it kind of odd that something like Valdis Story hasn't gotten more attention. But perhaps it's just that, the character designs and typical tone of the presentation. It's probably what held myself off of the game for as long as it did personally.

All that said though. What should I play next? Rabi-Ribi, or Salt and Sanctuary?
>>
>>344703018
Indeed. And classic castlevanias aren't Metroidvanias, but something like Aria of Sorrow is. It should be noted that Metroid's structure wasn't really... a standard expected of it until Super. Metroid 2 for instance was really slow, huge, and linear in comparison.
>>
>>344703191
Rabi-Rabi but wait for it to come on PS4. The PS4/Vita version will have new levels and new content.
>>
>>344703163
If I remember right he also said that he'd never actually played or seen Metroid until after SotN was released, and that his actual inspiration behind the game's structure was Legend of Zelda.
>>
>>344703143
Super Metroid absolutely is a Metroidvania, what third wave fucking definition is this? Metroidvanias were fucking characterized by having structures similar to Super or SotN you twit.

>>344703108
Nice kys meme. You get one internet for that, lololololol.
>>
>>344698872
Those are all more Metroid than anything. It takes a lot more time and money to make a Metroid styled Castlevania game so most indie devs reasonably won't do it.
>>
>>344703191
The combat in Valdis Story is generally too hard. Bosses in it are major roadblocks for normies. That's why it gets less attention. Normies will die quite a few times vs them and give up.
>>
That if any Castlevania past 4 is your favorite then you're a huge faggot
>>
>>344703328
I'd be really surprised if PC didn't get that extra stuff as well though, they've been good about updating it
>>
>>344703143
You're officially on the spectrum
>>
>>344703401
It's the first wave definition. Back when SotN was the only Metroidvania. Metroid games were just called "Metroid games." Only SotN was a fusion of Metroid and Castlevania.
>>
>>344703401

Stop posting. You are a fucking moron.
>>
>>344703401
Woman or underage?
>>
>I would say what you're seeing here [at E3] represents maybe 10 percent of the full game.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>344703464
we'll have to see
>>
>>344699535
Btw, that's some retarded logic right there.

You think some random video gaymur on /v/ knowing all the shitty Russian games that come out is the same thing as a high profile video game developer from Japan knowing what's going on with gaming in the U.S.A? Especially in a genre that's named after him? That's just a guy not keeping up with his own industry.
>>
>>344703451
Hello, Rondo of Blood? Are you one of the normies who didn't emulate a TurboDuo back in the day to play it before the PSP release?
>>
File: image.jpg (481 KB, 1175x981) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
481 KB, 1175x981
>>344703401
>Nice kys meme. You get one internet for that, lololololol
>>
>>344703018
Castlevania II did
>>
>>344703573
He can't read english, anon. Tell me how he is supposed to know about obscure english only indie games that never get any Japanese language press? I could see if he didn't know what Call of Duty or Asscreed were but Metroidvanias are not mainstream games.
>>
>>344703514
SotN was the start of the term because it was the first really high profile Metroid game outside of the Metroid franchise to be a fucking non-Metroid Metroid game. The term wasn't invented for that entry alone.

>>344703546
How about you? You're a revisionist.

>>344703560
26 year old male.

>>344703665
Lovely rebuttal, I hope that image of physical violence against some words on the internet makes you feel big and manly.
>>
>I would say what you're seeing here [at E3] represents maybe 10 percent of the full game."

I... certainly hope I'm misunderstanding this; cause that would make for a very small game, the way I do.
>>
>>344703420
>The combat in Valdis Story is generally too hard.
I mean the combat is and the bosses are indeed challenging. But I mean, unless you're aiming to S rank everything and you only aim to survive while playing on normal difficulty, then it can't possibly be too hard can it? If that's too hard for the general public then that would just be depressing.
>>
File: 1386864419013.jpg (43 KB, 192x196) Image search: [Google]
1386864419013.jpg
43 KB, 192x196
Jesus fucking Christ.

Metroidvania is a game that shares it's level structure with SuperMetroid while having RPG elements combined with equipment and magic/skill management on TOP of that. A shit ton of weapon, armor and magic the vast majority of which is completely arbitrary (as opposed to limited number of Metroid's upgrades almost each of which is crucial) is what defines metroidvania.

How fucking hard is it to comprehend?
>>
>>344703817

Please return to Reddit and never come back.
>>
>>344703635
>emulate

Bitch I still have my working PC-engine.
>>
>>344703883
This isn't the original definition, and I refuse to accept new-age definitions set by retards who appropriated something from other retards or refuse to make their own terminology.
>>
>>344703817
>Lovely rebuttal
That wasn't even me. I was just planning to ignore you.
>>
>>344703817
>The term wasn't invented for that entry alone.

It was literally invented when SotN came out.
>>
>>344703883
Explain that to the board which has complete thread discussing if Dark Souls is a WRPG or not.
>>
>>344703817
>SotN was the start of the term because it was the first really high profile Metroid game outside of the Metroid franchise
Metroidvania doesn't refer to Metroid games outside of the Metroid franchise.
It refers to games that are a mix between Castlevania and Metroid.

If you've got a Castlevania without the Metroid or a Metroid without the Castlevania then it is not a Metroidvania.
>>
>>344703892
Again, good meme sir. Tip of the motherfucking fedora to you. Good job not even bothering to put in half a brain cell into either not posting worthless trite at all, or maybe two braincells into something slightly less stupid.

>>344704026
Its existence being catalyzed by the presence of another game =/= existing for that game alone.
>>
>>344704149

Fuck off underaged.
>>
Valdis Story is a great game
>>
>>344703817

I am 34 and I have been playing the series since the first one in the NES. The Metroidvania term came from Symphony.
>>
>>344703191

>Valdis Story

i got to shu gohth or whatever and gave up because the enemies right before the room keep endlessly juggling me yeah, i'm bad, shut up so i go in with like 20 health whenever i attempt to fight him

i want at least a decent rank on this boss, it's why i refuse to use the retry as it'll tank the rating on it

on another note, is he supposed to have that much health? motherfucker is tanky.
>>
Is Fortune Summoners a "metroidvania"?
>>
>>344704128
And what exactly defines a Castlevania game, then? Because last I checked, most Castlevanias were more akin to Metroid-type games or fucking third person, broken-ass, low-quality shitfests that don't have ANY of the control or structure of earlier games.

And not all Castlevanias are based around SotN or AoS either. Castlevania's "signature gameplay" is inconsistent at best and indefinable at worst, and SotN is the most easily recognizable and most played Castlevania of pretty much all time, except for maybe Aria.

Shit, Castlevania didn't even really have very strong RPG elements early on outside of getting more life and getting hearts.
>>
>>344704004
This has always been the key definition. How the fuck does this term even make sense in your stupid head when your stupid definition is defined ONLY by a feature that was invented by Super Metroid?
By your own fucking definition 2d metroid games that came out after SOTN should also be called metroidvanias. Do you understand how fucking retarded it is?
>>
>>344704483

Did you started playing games yesterday? How can you be this stupid?
>>
>>344704483
>Castlevania's "signature gameplay" is inconsistent at best and indefinable at worst
Classic Castlevania games are pretty consistent. And the so called Metroidvania games are two.
Disregarding the couple of experiments with 3D Castlevania, this divides the entire franchise into two very distinguishable eras.
>>
>>344704483
The LoS games weren't THAT bad. They're certainly not the worst Castlevania games.
>>
>>344704421
What character are you using? Just level up a bit and dodge the enemies with skill cancels if you need to.

He also heals unless you follow him around quickly, so try go in with a full focus bar
>>
>>344702718
>Metroid started 2d platforming
>Metroid started RPG elements
>Metroid started killing enemies
>Metroid invented the internet
>Metroid sent our troops to Iraq for NO REASON

okay Anon
>>
>>344704728
>two
>Disregarding this key point in your argument
>>
>>344704483

Classicvanias are linear platformers. Metroidvanias have a big open interconnected world.
>>
>>344704483
>SotN is the most easily recognizable and most played Castlevania of pretty much all time

I don't know, would need testing. I think Rondo or SCIV could give it a run for its money.

That being, said, the thing about "Metroidvania" is that the term summons both gameplay aspects AND art direction.

Castlevania as a series is mostly defined by the castle. The recurring bestiary, the aesthetics, the music. The jumping and fighting and exploration each are more or less focused (well exploration at least as soon as 1987) on and refined depending on title. And I think think all this is more what is being reffered to by most people when they use "metroidvania".
>>
>>344704904
So you want to count the 3D Castlevanias? To begin with they barely even account for a fraction of the rest of the franchise. And it still leaves you with two very discernible halves, and a slightly less discernible little chunk of a few 3D games.
>>
>>344703684

Only the town had backtracking and exploration. The actual levels were still linear platforming.
>>
>>344705257
I'm not the original guy you replied to, I just wanted to point out your bullshit.
>>
Guys, I wanna play a Castlevania again, but I've beaten pretty much all of them except Curse of Darkness, Judgement, Original Adventure 1 & 2, and all of the obscure Japanese-only systems and arcade stuff.

What do?
>>
>>344703817
>SotN was the start of the term because it was the first really high profile Metroid game outside of the Metroid franchise
>tfw SotN was a Metroid game acc to this guy
>>
>>344705610
If you've already beaten Chronicles, then Curse of Darkness.

Judgement is ass.
>>
>>344705194
Didn't LoS is the best selling title of the franchise?
>>
>>344704384
see >>344704149

>>344704539
You dense motherfucker. It doesn't matter who invented the feature, it was a term to umbrella all games who shared that sort of loose world and progression structure as defined by the most popular games of that sub-genre.

Yes. Zero Mission is a Metroidvania. Fusion is debatable but I personally would not call it one, as it has basically little room for exploration/is very linear, and is more akin to earlier Castlevanias in that respect, which also don't count for Metroidvanias.

>>344704778
They're some of the weakest for sure. I seriously wonder if they were even originally developed as Castlevanias, or were just modified to fit that franchise later. But yes, I did exaggerate their lack of quality a little too much.

>>344704705
There is no worth in making any serious sort of argument with you.

>>344704728
Classic Castlevanias are consistent because they're Classic. They're kind of old and don't change much. Admittedly I haven't kept tabs on the Castlevania franchise as strongly as Metroid, some DS games slipped me by and after a certain point I admit that I haven't paid them any attention at all. I wonder when that happened.

>>344705037
You're only helping my argument. Not every Metroid game is a Metroidvania, but that's not to say that there are none. This is why Super, Zero Mission, Symphony, and Aria all count as Metroidvanias to me. Axiom, too. It's the big open interconnected, plus backtracking and optional exploration that defines it.

>>344705194
Okay, yeah you've definitely got a point with Rondo/IV.

>AND art direction
I'm not quite sure how to respond to this. You mean the setting? Since you followed with the castle.
>>
>>344704728

How classic is classic though?

Is Simont's Quest classic enough? It has the exploration though. How about Vampire Killer on MSX2? It's more open ended than the linear Castlevania 1 NES game but was actually released slightly before (and developed around the same time).

One of the reasons I never liked the term "Classicvania" either. It's just as misleading and fuzzy as "Metroidvania".
>>
>>344703869
It is. And it is indeed sad.

>>344703991
You rich bro, weren't those things like 600+ bucks back in the day?
>>
>>344705610
Curse of Darkness is fine if you can tolerate 3D CV. I can.
>>
>>344697981
And nearly all of them are indie game titles, most of which are either too short or don't get it right.
Big name companies don't care about making games like this anymore.
>>
>>344705708
>You mean the setting? Since you followed with the castle.

Yes and more. I mean, the game has (had) amassed its own bestiary, its own take on some monsters - when one Castlevania player talks about medusa heads, we all know what's being talked about - and there's the music to boot, which is part of the art direction, but is not setting proper.
>>
>>344706010
Medusa Heads in the Clocktower, or similar areas, remain the bane of my existence to this day.

But I would argue that the familiar bestiary isn't totally necessary to the Metroidvania experience. It adds to the Castlevania experience, whether or not they're actually Metroidvanias, but I don't think that translates entirely to Metroidvanias as a whole.
>>
>>344705708
>It's the big open interconnected, plus backtracking and optional exploration that defines it.

Not it is the RPG elements.
>>
>>344706201
I seriously cannot get past the Clock Tower in Chronicles on my second playthrough.
>>
>>344699295
No if anything it is listening them to closely that did it, the playerbases want stupid easy games with a lot of fanservice designed to pamper their fragile egos.
>>
>>344706268
I disagree, and posit that the RPG elements are Castlevania's interpretation of Metroidvanias, but are not inherent to the Metroidvania umbrella as a whole.
>>
>>344705765

Even worse here, was never released, had to import the stuff from Japan. Was one of those mad spending you can't justify but just have to do. One of the perks of living alone I guess.

>>344706201

Doesn't really matter that it does, but what I do find is that, the way people use the term, that ambiguity between gameplay and aesthetic is almost always there. More or less pronounced depending on who - and more importantly I guess when it's used. But ever present or close to I think.

Hell, as mad it sounds, I've had people argue against the fact that a game was a Metroidvnaia because it didn't use the shared map template from Super Metroid/SotN. Which is kinda mad when you're down to it.
>>
>>344697981
Well he's Japanese, he probably isn't too familiar with the western indie market.
>>
>>344698998
Metroidvania is like the puzzle platformer when it comes to indies. It's just buzzword people add to their shitty clones of clones of clones because Indies try so hard to stand out they do the exact opposite.
>>
>>344706310
Shit man, I can't get past it on my first playthrough.
>>
>>344699502
Honestly I've never been a big fan of the 2D Metroid games. I do like Super and Zero Mission but even those have big problems, like every boss fight that's not Super's Ridley sucking dick.
>>
Is Terraria a Metroidvania, Y/N

Keep in mind that, despite being a sandbox, it has a considerable progression and list of bosses and events to defeat, and on top of that its progression is largely open, while there's also value in backtracking to areas at later stages of the game. It's a wide open world.

Also it has certain RPG elements in having a frankly stupid number of accessories and armours and weapons of various types.

Does the fact that it's a sandbox override the idea of being a metroidvania?
>>
>>344707738
>No level design
It's not a metroidvania
>>
>>344707738
>It's a wide open world.
Isn't it procedurally generated? That kind of changes everything.
Level design is a crucial aspect of both Metroid and Castlevania.
>>
>>344708360
It's not procedurally generated, no. It's randomly generated on first world load, according to certain parameters. There are certain things that will always be true. There will always be at least 3 floating islands with one each of the individual treasures, there will always be a dungeon, there will always be a tundra, there will always be a jungle, there will always be a desert/underground desert, the oceans will always be on the sides of the world, there will always be an Underworld at the bottom of the world.

The Jungle will always be on the opposite side of the world as the Dungeon. The Tundra will always be on the opposite side of the world as the Underground Desert.

Every Jungle will have a Temple. You will always have to go to the Underworld to engage Hardmode. You will always have to defeat the Mech bosses in order to unlock Plantera, in order to unlock the Hardmode Dungeon and the Temple.

Every Dungeon will contain four Biome Chests, with one being variable dependent on whether your world has Crimson or Corruption.

>>344708328
It's not that it has no level design, but rather it's got highly flexible, generated-once world design.

Furthermore, adventure maps absolutely can and do have level design.
>>
>>344697981
>there are too many Metroid-vanias.

Yeah but none of them are as good as Castlevania ones.
>>
>>344698689

Are you a fucking retard? I'll take the 2.5D with the gameplay I know and love over some shit like Mirror of Fate, did you actually fuckin care that DXC was 2.5D?
>>
>>344709246
I've found that people who dislike games for being 2.5D tend to be retarded.
>>
>>344708847
>it's got highly flexible, generated-once world design.
That's not level design, those are guidelines at most and it's too random to be considered a metroidvania
>>
So what are the best newer Metroidvanias right know?

I own Axiom Verge, Valdis Story, Shantae and tried some others that I refunded again because they suck.
>>
>>344709605
How about a Metroidvania-esque progression?
>>
>>344709692

Valdis Story is pretty good, never played any of the Shantae games. I don't understand why people call Axiom Verge a Metroidvania tho, it's way more Metroid than Castlevania. Also it [spoilers]isn't very good.
>>
>>344709692
Shantae's more of a Zeldavania.
>>
>>344710083
Because the truth is that Metroidvania is a catchall term for the world and level structure, and is less representative of the actual gameplay.
>>
>>344709246
Yes.
>>
>>344709486
No u
>>
>>344697981

Nah man, there's only about seven of them.
Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.