[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dwarf Fortress
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
I want to into this game so much but god fucking damn. I love the idea but I feel like I'm playing it wrong all the time.

Has anyone ever cracked through this games shell?
>>
>>344660259
>Anyone
Yep
>Ever
Yep

Great thread OP!
>>
>>344660259
It isn't that hard. Find a tutorial and follow the steps from basic controls to more advanced stuff. After that, every time you want to know how something it's done (i.e.: military) just google it.
>>
Keep the wiki open at all times during play and search up everything.
This is not the kind of game you're supposed to play without.
>>
File: 1457433001153.png (124 KB, 2592x2592) Image search: [Google]
1457433001153.png
124 KB, 2592x2592
>>344660259
Not too hard OP. The great thing is you can make it as complicated as you want. You only really need a room with a farm, and a still. Just do that and slowly add to it as you understand more and more if you're worried about 'doing things wrong'
Protip: you can't really
>>
>>344660259
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6wzjlYHL-E&list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmNbSUujzXbgNjJi_-WHTTTD&ab_channel=DasTactic

This is probably the most in-depth video tutorial. Also the Wiki is your best friend.
>>
OP, let me give you the best advice I can:

You will not play this game perfectly the first time. Or the second. Or the third. Or the fourth. Approach the game like you're learning and trying things out, and enjoy the process. Remember, there's no 'winning condition' in Dwarf Fortress, and losing is fun.
>>
>>344662385
>>344662202
>>344661970
>>344661384
>>344661123

Thanks fgts
>>
>>344662616
rude
>>
>>344662616
Another thing that worked for me was watching lots of Let's Plays. It helped me understand what I was actually looking at, and showed me what was possible in the game.

Plus they were entertaining.
>>
after like 10 hours in the game it becomes much easier as The hardest part by far is learning the UI, so once you being to memorize the keybinds and what buildings/rooms do stuff it becomes a lot easier.
>>
this game seems awesome. i read a bit about it, its made by a mathematics phD and he said that he'll be done with the game in 20 years.
>>
just started playing, what is umkh?
>>
>>344660259
>Has anyone ever cracked through this games shell?
Yes I did. It is quite primitive game with some Big Rigs-level of game design fuck-ups. A curious idea piled under horrible execution and ruined by author's complete unwillingness to share the burden of development with community. It needs ton of external tools to be remotely playable but each time a bugfix is released all the dependencies are broken.

Overall it been stagnating and losing playability since 2D version, but no one seems to give a fuck.
>>
>>344665619
Lmao i love you
>>
>>344666272
I don't understand what you're saying at all.
>>
>>344666472
Try learning to read then.
>>
>>344666472
the game is shit kill yourself if you even think its even passable

delete this thread.....NOW
>>
>>344666094
Keys on your keyboard. You idiot.
>>
Play adventure mode, learn the glory of wrestling.
>>
>>344666272
You're pretty gay
>>
>>344666865
>delete this thread

suck my dick nigger.
>>
>>344660259
Honestly if you're just starting out you should grab a textute pack. It will ease you into the game so you won't have to spend as much time just trying to figure out what's going on in front of you.

Other than that just keep the wiki open and don't worry about losing forts!
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.