[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SGDQ 2016
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 69
File: Dude Where's my Keys.png (722 KB, 557x555) Image search: [Google]
Dude Where's my Keys.png
722 KB, 557x555
What runs were worth watching? What were your personal favorite runs and why?

Share any leftover OC you have before it's all irrelevant.
>>
>>344600040
Deus Ex was really fun to watch even if you didn't know the game, and was an excellent lead up to OLD GDQ tier. If I ever rewatch them Imma have to rewatch them in that order.

Trauma Center was also really really good, DKC64 pretty good too,
>>
>>344599734
anyone?
>>
File: nabooru2.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
nabooru2.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>344600040
>glitch exhibition
>no ghost blowjob or ass chest
More like glitch inhibition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlyi-Ie3Us
>>
>>344600040
Should people with autism really be held to the same social standards as normal people? Why ban an autistic person from your event for acting autistic? Is it even desirable to do that? Isn't it discriminatory to do so? It isn't their fault they have autism.
>>
what little I caught of the SMRPG was good
>>
I thought the actual Tetris runs were pretty cool even if the couch was autism but the grandmaster stuff wowed me
>>
>>344600290

Because they're more likely to get donations without autistic people.

Everyone jokes about it, but I honestly expect in a few years there won't be a runner cam.
>>
>>344600272
Pit didn't want to show off things that ZFG had already showed in his exhibition at a previous GDQ.
>>
>>344600363
>Stomping on boss' heads for 2 minutes straight
>Good

Highly compelling programming.
>>
Reminder that the only good trans are the two that play street fighter. Ricky Ortiz and gllty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N7Lnn1QVOw

1.) Because they actually look somewhat female
2.) there actually good at the games they play especially Ricky.
>>
Official SGDQ 2016 Tier List:

>Old GDQ Tier
Jak and Daxter

>Top Tier
Deus Ex: Blitzkrieg Edition
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Sonic '06
Star Wars: Jedi Academy
Super Metroid
Gimmick!

>High Tier
Super Mario World (Small Mario run)
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (One-Handed)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Race)
Catherine
Dude's Crest
Hagane
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Blindfolded Disaster)
Typing of the Dead
Aladdin
Actraiser
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
The Elder Scrolls: Arena, Daggerfall, and Skyrim
Curse of Issyos
Pepsimeme

>Mid. Tier
Sonic Adventure 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Donkey Kong Country 3
Max Payne 2
Dustforce
Trip World
Super Mario RPG
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (Co-op)
Fallout 3: Tranniversary Edition
Tetris Block (Excluding Setup)

>Low Tier
Resident Let's-a-go 2
Ocarina of Time "Glitchless"
Literally everything else

>Ty the Tasmanian Trainwreck Tier
Pikmin (Went 5:00 over estimate, 25:00 over PB)
Trials Fusion (1:30:00 of Happy Wheels level showcases. Hi YouTube!)
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger (Local Autist Ruins Everything: The Run)
>>
>>344600439
>Because they're more likely to get donations without autistic people.
Isn't that discriminatory from the donator end then? Why can't they be tolerant and understanding? Should they even be catered to like that?
>>
Copying over the explanation of the conspiracy theory about the final run
>>344599718
Before it started someone posted in the SGDQ thread on /v/ that they were going to have a SM64 4 man surprise race.

Immediately when it started someone said there would be a ton of big number Anonymous donations.

Wouldn't you know it, about 50,000 bux were donated by Anonymous in $1,000 to $5,000 amounts.

I'm not saying I subscribe to it that it was totally rigged. But its clear that the surprise incentive was planned from the start. The runners even casually mentioned one of them was a 120 star speedrunner and they had spent the last few days teaching him techniques for the 70 star speedrun which is slightly different.

So the Surprise was planned. That's indisputable. What is really suspicious is how many people were suddenly dropping g's with no name like it was nothing. Some people believe it was a shill (like the real thing) to convince others to donate heavily.

Whatever it was, I can tell you one thing that I"m absolutely positive of. That race would have happened either way and was planned from day 1.
>>
>>344599883
>that penis in the background
>>
File: SGDQ 2016 Demon's Crest Run.jpg (172 KB, 630x1200) Image search: [Google]
SGDQ 2016 Demon's Crest Run.jpg
172 KB, 630x1200
>>344600040
Demon's Crest
>>
Will they ever bring F-Zero GX back. Or is it simply too intimidating for the normie crowd.
>>
>>344600579
Why do you hate OoT as it was meant to be played?
>>
Copy pasted since the old thread is dying

>>344600141
That's actually somewhat accurate. GDQ is run by a small group of speedrunners and former speedrunners. Mike Uyama, Cool Matty, and Sumichu are the highest-up. In 2014, Mike announced he had been contracted by the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Since then, the event has slowly become more and more "professional", approaching convention status. GDQ is a limited liability company in the state of Virginia (I think it's Virginia), with staff, paid wages, etc. That wasn't always the case.
tl;dr GDQ is run like a company by a small group of people who have slowly made it more professional at the cost of casual fun and certain other elements of the old marathons. It's just different, I guess.

I just meant that the community has long-since determined that these events aren't hat they used to be, but that's alright by most of the runners regardless. These events used to be more or less volunteer-run back before 2014, although some of the budget was covered by outside sources I think.
>>
>>344600579
>Gimmick!
>top tier
cmon
>>
The Mark of the Ninja run is always good.
>>
>>344600658

GDQ LLC. is a private company, they can do what they want to maximize profits.

All of the people running are volunteers so they're not protected by any sort of employee regulations.
>>
>>344600383
Tetris is always good, but the problem is that it's also always there. It's been in every GDQ since AGDQ 2014, I think. It gets tiring, fast, and after the first few times you kind of just want more room for speedruns.
>>
>>344600748
not my list, I'm just posting it to generate discussion
>>
>>344600819
>GDQ LLC. is a private company, they can do what they want to maximize profits.
Thanks for reminding us corporations are demonic and not moral.
>>
>>344600450
But he showed off THE glitch, didn't he? The Kakariko target range one.

>>344600272
BANNED
>>
>>344600753
Would this be why it's being held in Virginia in 2017 instead of minnasota?
>>
>>344600485
>Can't appreciate the intensity of 90 3-frame inputs in a row

That run BREAKS people
>>
>>344600819
>private company, they can do what they want to maximize profits.
Why is it legal for them to say they're doing this event for charity without also disclosing that?
>>
File: bigguy.png (112 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
bigguy.png
112 KB, 250x250
>>344600040

i was extremely disappointed in the jak and daxter run after how much you faggots talked it up. the parts where the guy was doing that spot on owen wilson impression were pretty good, but that was maybe ten minutes of the two hour run, the rest was mediocre at best. deus ex was waaaaaaay better
>>
>>344600979
I never knew about that one. That was a shock.
>no bottom half of model
W E W
>>
>>344600579

Sonic 06 was awful. That dax guy on the couch sounded like a loser
>>
>>344600493
Holy fug that gllty is actually cute.
>>
>>344600991
No, AGDQ is always held in the VA area. That's where Mike Uyama lives, it's just an artifact of that era of GDQ.

SGDQ moved to Minnesota in 2015. Before that, it was in Denver, CO. Before that, it was in Essentia's house.
>>
>>344601049
Yeah I really can't because to me it just looks like Mario bouncing on an enemy's head. Run something that looks impressive with 90 3 frame inputs in a row.
>>
File: 1468119319484.jpg (28 KB, 425x422) Image search: [Google]
1468119319484.jpg
28 KB, 425x422
>>344600579
I'd add:
>High Tier
Bionic Commando
The Rapid Angel
Mark of the Ninja

>Mid Tier
Resident Let's-a-go(bumped from low)
Mega Man 3
Braid
The Goonies II

>Ty the Tasmanian Trainwreck Tier
Freedom Planet (Suprise, suprise a Sonic fan game creator is autistic)

But that's just me.
>>
>>344600748

it wasn't actually glitchless, there were a fuckton of glitches, they just call it glitchless when there is no OOB or wrong warp
>>
>>344601051

Because that's how the world works.

Write to your local congressman if it triggers you that much.

I'm sure his intern could use a laugh.
>>
>>344601080
>sounded like a loser
Welcome to /v/. I see you're new here. Over 80% of the people you are talking to here are "losers." Why are you here?
>>
>>344601152
It was only Essentias house like once right
>>
Remember, if you want to donate in the future then just fucking directly donate instead of giving it in a roundabout fashion
>>
>>344601219
Why are you justifying corruption in our political and economic system?
>>
>>344600579
Personally I like the Double Dash run mainly because there was a blue shell pretty much every stage. It would go to mid tier
>>
>>344601363
Because it's not corruption. You're arguing a moral or philosophical point that is held by you as if it is a legal one.
>>
>>344601178
That Mark run was fantastic. It's crazy how much someone can pick up from just watching a speedrun of a game they like. That and the Dark Souls runs completely changed how I played the game.
>>
>>344601414
I asked why it was legal for them to do something immoral.
>>
>>344601178
>tfw mark of the ninja runner is an irl friend of mine and I had no clue he even liked speedrunning
Watched it live, was proud of the lil guy :')
>>
What was the cringiest run?
I couldn't watch ZX after a while.

Pepsiman and SMRPG were entertaining to me..

I know the metroid race is expected. But I like to see who dies.
>>
>>344601414
Sure, anon, just like all those "donations" to politicians isn't corrruption either.
>>
>>344601051

they are hosting a drive for charity. its not the same as running a charity. they make money from selling ad space, merchandising, etc
>>
>>344601518
What's your opinion on anti-discrimination legislation?
>>
>>344601178

Did kill or save win this year?
>>
>>344601601
What do you expect in a democracy? It's only the natural conclusion.
>>
>>344601735

Kill.

They were close to becoming Schrodinger's Animals though.
>>
>>344601741
"Shoganai ne"
--Japanese anon
>>
File: nervous-guy.jpg (41 KB, 351x450) Image search: [Google]
nervous-guy.jpg
41 KB, 351x450
>>344600579
>watch momodora for the titty monster thumbnail
>receive feels
Looks like a great game though.
>>
File: A_saveanimalfs.jpg (105 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
A_saveanimalfs.jpg
105 KB, 640x640
>>344601735
Good.
Anyone who supports Save is a fucking nigger loving otter fucking faggot
>>
>>344601643
They are giving the impression to the audience that all the money goes to charity. Typically disclaimers need to be made for totally unnecessary things like "STUNT DRIVER; DO NOT ATTEMPT" on car commercials with ridiculous stunts. Yet somehow they don't need to disclose on the stream that not all the money they get goes to the charity they're running the drive for?
>>
>>344601462
>>344601569
Seems like a great guy and really shows his passion for the game.
That and the point at the end when he asked if he should do blindfolded, one handed or two player one controller were great and really made me happy.
>>
>>344600669
>That race would have happened either way and was planned from day one
That's obvious. There's no conspiracy here, 70 Star was accepted as a bonus run on the Games Done Quick site months and months ago, back in March. The issue is that they decided not to disclose it to the audience as a 99% probable method of surpassing the previous total of both AGDQ 2016 and SGDQ 2015 - both of which raised roughly $1,200,000 (down from the peak of $1,500,000 for AGDQ 2015).

Here's how it works:
>GDQ is guaranteed to get $1,000,000 in donations, it is the "hype" of this milestone guarantees it is reached
>GDQ needs to meet or surpass the previous GDQs, roughly $1,200,000
>Without Super Mario 64, SGDQ 2016 would have raised roughly $1,000,000 - $1,100,000
>However, Super Mario 64 wasn't revealed until the final few hours of the marathon
>If it was revealed earlier, its incentive would have been met much earlier in the marathon
>Instead, revealing it late (which had no effect on whether it was met) allows other incentives to be met
>The reason why Super Mario 64 was $200,000 was because it would allow them to barely surpass their prior totals, bringing them up to $1,200,000 after the easy $1,000,000

tl;dr Super Mario 64 was hidden as a $200,000 donation incentive to offset the fact that GDQs have been shrinking for a year, guaranteeing that they'd surpass the past two marathons.
It was pretty smart of them, expect it to become a staple in some form or another.
>>
>>344601872
i'm astonished i'd never heard of it before because it's pretty much /v/ the game. play as a loli that turns into a cat and fights titty monsters with a high level of difficulty.

but yeah I managed to half watch the whole run while playing a game WITHOUT REALIZING the guy was paralyzed. I thought it was another gimmick run. When that donation from his Dad came in I was like aw thats sweet. I still didn't realize it.

Then the run ended and he gave that speech and I almost cried. Legit almost cried over what that guy said.

He managed to actually overcome his disability. He wasn't there because he was disabled. He was there because he was really, really fucking good at what he does.
>>
>>344602078
But that's a scam. It's tricking your audience.
>>
>>344602078
>GDQ needs to meet or surpass the previous GDQs, roughly $1,200,000
why? just curious
>>
>>344600859
yeah that's why I think they said they were going to take a break for a little while. They originally wanted to bring more attention to the grandmaster series and now that they've done that they don't want people to get tired of it already.
>>
>>344602078
What happened after AGDQ 2015? Was it the crash runner that made the normies flee?
>>
>>344602202
No, tricking your audience would be saying you were going to have a SM64 run if they donated $200,000 then not doing it. That is a scam.

You and I may not like what they did (I don't) but it's perfectly in their right to have a surprise incentive.
>>
>>344602001

Yes.

I'm glad you're starting to understand how charities work Anon. We're making real progress here.
>>
>>344602260
Marketing.
>>
>>344602085

He ran Vanquish at a previous GDQ too
>>
>>344600439
>Everyone jokes about it, but I honestly expect in a few years there won't be a runner cam.

lolno, they will never do this. They're proud of the speedrunning community and the webcam is a massive, massive draw.
You're also wrong on the first point. There's a lot of serious autists in their ranks, although they do tend to let more personable people like Edobean (to normalfags) host. I know some of the announcers and they're pretty autistic.

I don't know what you're smoking because you keep posting this head-canon
>>
>>344602260
Same reason corporations need to post profits continually going up and never going down: the illusion of "progress" which is instrumental to deceiving the plebeians in a capitalist society.
>>
>>344602001
I'm sure disclosing that information is required. But at the same time, "disclose", in this case, probably doesn't mean quite what you think it does. Some small print at the bottom of their website or a brief mention at the very beginning of the marathon stream is likely all they need to cover the legal bases.
>>
>>344600730
it had a chance
not anymore, not after SFZ died
>>
>>344602078
Continuing the stream with runs after milestones like kickstarter wouldn't surprise me. Also increasing the cap for "after" stream runs every year.
>>
>>344602085

It was a flavor the month when it came out.

Which was also the same month of Rabi-Ribi. So they were dueling flavors of the month.
>>
>>344602371
>the plebeians in a capitalist society.
hahaha tell us about how smart you are because you're a communist
>>
>>344602318
So what you're saying is they're all scams, keep your moneys
>>
>>344601268
Maybe twice, I'm not sure. Didn't watch all of the old GDQs.
>>
>>344602078
Yes, I know that's why I stated the whole hidden incentive was well known to a lot of people that were paying attention or were involved. That itself wasn't the conspiracy theory.

The theory was a lot of the $1,000 donations from Anonymous weren't actually made and were just to encourage others by making the total look achievable. Like setting a kickstarter minimum of $1,000 then donating the remainder yourself so you don't hold any risk of failing to get some money out of it, even if you missed your target. That is what I suspect happened.
>>
>>344602373
>Some small print at the bottom of their website
There's no way that would be enough. 99% of the people watching wouldn't even go to their website
>>
>>344602440
Oh I remember Rabi Ribi
>>
>>344602447
Charities have overhead anon. How are they going to rent buildings and keep staff and pay the bills if 100% of their income from donations is given away? I thought this was common knowledge. I think there's a difference in how non-profits and for profits work but even non profits can pocket part of the donation for overhead iirc. Not a charity expert.
>>
>>344602443
>because you're a communist
I'm not.

>Durr if u dun liek capitalism ur a commie
>>
>>344601982
I support save the animals because having a runner lose WR because of it would be hilarious.
>>
File: bigboat.jpg (134 KB, 500x307) Image search: [Google]
bigboat.jpg
134 KB, 500x307
>>344602001

but technically every penny does got to the charity. maybe SGDQ is different, but for AGDQ, Prevent Cancer Foundation contracts GDQ to put the marathon. All of the money goes to PCF first, then they pay GDQ. Its basically a kickback system.
>>
>>344602563

Rabi Ribi would actually be a good speed game come to think of it.

But obviously will never make it to GDQ.
>>
>>344602085
>i'm astonished i'd never heard of it before because it's pretty much /v/ the game.
I remember seeing /v/ talking about it when it was released but I was busy with something else. Picked it up during the Steam sale and beat it a couple days before the run. After seeing the run though I had to go back and do another run. It's a beautiful and excellently crafted game. Highly recommend that any fan of Metroidvanias pick it up during a sale.
>>
>>344601982
>not Taunting them
>>
>>344602001
>>344601643
>>344601051
They don't have to disclose it. They're a limited liability company with wages paid by the charity they're representing - either PCF or MSF - but the donations DO all go to charity. Do you realize how illegal, let alone morally wrong, it would be to lie about the donations?
All the money they get from donators goes to the charity, except some of their subscription revenue, I think. The money they make off of the event comes from.
>Registrations
>Sponsors
>Advertisements
>The charity

A lot of runners are uneasy about the way GDQ is operated, but obviously a lot of others don't mind.
>>
>>344602486
So who gave the conspiracy 1000$ donations? Staff? From where? GDQ's private coffers?

>>344602610
Yes we all know how charities work, but we're talking about how GDQs work, which is not a charity but a private company that raises and then donates money to charity.
>>
>>344602085
not only that, the dev is an oldschool /v/irgin like risk of rain dev
>>
>>344602516
>99% of the people watching wouldn't even go to their website
Uh, how do you think they're donating then?
>>
>>344602913
Not everyone who watches the event donates
>>
>>344602793
So why are people going on about how they're doing whatever they can trying to "maximize profits" and the like? Is this just /v/ cynicism?
>>
>>344602260
but its all going to charity, right?
>>
>>344602260
They're a business, Cool Matty (basically the chief organizer of GDQ at this point) describes his role as, "Ensure that these events can keep happening," but that translates, "Ensure that these events can keep happening the way we've set them up."
If these events were in decline, there would maybe be less interest from sponsors and they would have less leverage as a company. They're a business, that's the reality.

>>344602486
I sincerely, sincerely doubt this and I have been critical of GDQ for years. They wouldn't be so stupid or morally corrupt to do that shit. It's more likely that:
>Tons of anonymous donations are made
>People are simply exposed EXTREMELY disproportionately to the $1,000+ ones because they're what gets read
>Cue conspiracy theories
>>
>>344602202
Like >>344602315 said, it isn't a scam. It's them getting creative to offset the fact that their events are essentially in decline. They managed to raise as much as they did this year the last two events WITHOUT pulling this trick at the end.

But it's not a scam or anything, just a little weird and expect it to become the norm. Or some variation of it, they'll probably get creative.
>>
>>344603140
this
>>
>>344603140
Why does business mentality demand constant growth? Why can't something exist for its own sake?
>>
>>344600040
>Watch Jak and Daxter because people say it's funny
>Funny at first, then 25% through the run the runner starts acting like he's fucking literally dying and speaks in a horribly annoying way like he's out of breath
>Becomes unwatchable

What the fuck hit him, is he high or some shit?
>>
File: 1463700295239.png (307 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1463700295239.png
307 KB, 500x500
>>344600040
>Check out Jak and Daxter run because /v/ says it's great
>It's the same cringy "retard trying really, really hard to be funny and get everyone to laugh" shit as any other "funny" run

???
>>
>>344603279
I consider it a scam. You have a list of runs circulating and they are knowingly excluding one from that list just to push their donations higher than they otherwise would be. That is deceiving the viewer to get more donations. In my view that is a scam, a deception, immoral, etc.
>>
>>344603323
>Why can't something exist for its own sake?

because that's not business mentality. if you're not growing you're shrinking, and if you're shrinking you're losing money. why is this so hard to comprehend?
>>
>>344603323
The iron clad rule of bureaucracy.
Every organization will eventually be taken over by people dedicated to the organization, rather than the organizations purpose.

GDQ raises money for charity. But the #1 priority of GDQ staff is to keep GDQ running.
>>
>>344603489
Nobody gives a fuck about what you think.
>>
>>344603110
Because they are. I'm not going to go into detail, but:
>Registration costs have risen significantly
>GDQ openly acknowledges that popularity and profit potential are incentives for accepting certain runs
>It was VERY fucking difficult to get GDQ to offer a discount to runners fuck if I know why, they don't compensate runners at all for their effort even though they're officially a business now. The mob does a better job of taking care of performers, honestly.
>They're very, very touchy about disclosing their financial information - budgets, etc. - to the community
Basically, they've earned very little trust outside of putting on these events, which is still a good thing.

The, "Hurr, $1,000 anonymous donations," conspiracy is /v/ cynicism. That shit's embarrassing, actually. I don't know how that caught on so hard.
>>
>>344603665
Do you own a PS4 or Xbone? ;)
>>
>>344603409
Exhaustion is my understanding.

He went loopy from being tired.
>>
File: Pepsiman.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Pepsiman.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z54MpfR3XE4
>>
>>344603738
Both and I have enough money to donate to an organization does something I enjoy without being a moralfag about it. Thanks for the (You).
>>
File: 1408555751231.jpg (36 KB, 368x347) Image search: [Google]
1408555751231.jpg
36 KB, 368x347
where has the passion gone?
is there a run worth watching?
>>
>>344603908
Seems like you just enjoy getting scammed all around then. Were you happy when the PS4neo and XboneScorpio were announced?
>>
>>344603409
The cookie he ate in the beginning was a weed cookie.
>>
File: Boat Skip Gimmick.gif (2 MB, 405x296) Image search: [Google]
Boat Skip Gimmick.gif
2 MB, 405x296
>>344603663
>GDQ raises money for charity. But the #1 priority of GDQ staff is to keep GDQ running.
I cannot emphasize how right this guy is. Whether it's for the opportunity to have GDQ or for personal profit is up in the air.

If any of you ever have any lingering questions about GDQ and how and why it operates, remember this.
>>
Why was the chat disabled during the Trauma Center run?
>>
>>344603720
So are they really making a lot of money off putting on these events now? I bet most people watching think everything goes to the charity.
>>
>>344603994
Why are you so upset?
>>
File: ESA.jpg (395 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
ESA.jpg
395 KB, 2048x1536
who /readyforESA/ here

>that feel when Kotti's going to be running Hitman 2
>>
File: cashmoney.jpg (76 KB, 1022x562) Image search: [Google]
cashmoney.jpg
76 KB, 1022x562
>>344603489
>Deceiving
Yes.
>A scam
Not legally, no.

If you care, tell other people about it and make them realize that GDQ is a business and not the community organized marathon it used to be. For whatever reason, no one really knows this.
>>
>>344604062
Post traumatic tranny disorder from the Pikmin run.
>>
>>344601054

This is the pewdiepie generation. So it was 10/10 to them.
>>
>>344604092
I'm tired of the demonic nature of man, anon. I'm tired of one man deceiving other men to better himself.
>>
File: 1363928546363.png (46 KB, 204x192) Image search: [Google]
1363928546363.png
46 KB, 204x192
>No Super Metroid VOD in their youtube account
>>
>>344603994
>Scammed

I'm an informed consumer anon. I know what I buy and what I donate to. Are you happy because you're ignorant?
>>
>>344602078
So why has the donation interest in events been dying down? They're getting more viewers on Twitch than ever.
It can't be lack of classic runners, since the new audience wouldn't give a shit about them anyway, and neither the moderated presentation since new audience wouldn't know better.
>>
>>344604132
NASA '17 is happening, right?
>>
>>344604240
You can't be an informed consumer when the company you're supporting is deceiving you. Or did you know about PS4neo and Scorpio before you bought a PS4/Xbone and decided to throw money down the drain anyway?
>>
>>344601872
You can play the first 2 momodora games for free
>>
>>344604219

They're probably embarrassed by the triple choke.

Look forward to all future Super Metroid runs having mandated safety saves.
>>
>>344604267
Too many trannies, even normies avoid 'em.
>>
>>344603913
Yes.
>>
>>344604360
yea, it's the week after SQRT'17
>>344604421
which one
>>
>>344603913
>is there a run worth watching?
That's what the tier list is for>>344600579, start at the top and see what you think.
>where has the passion gone?
Still some passionate people about their games. Off hand I'd say Momodora, Mark of the Ninja and Megaman 3 if you want people who really care about their games. But it's all personal preference.
>>
>>344604219
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kleLgMl5xQ
>>
File: fuck.gif (27 KB, 480x416) Image search: [Google]
fuck.gif
27 KB, 480x416
>>344604086
>I bet most people watching think everything goes to the charity.
All the donations do, that's the important part. They don't disclose their wages, they only disclose their budget and how many people are paid working them, along with equipment costs, venue costs, etc.
Here's an example: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/agdq2016_budget_overview_23.html#agdq2016_budget_overview_23
>Staff: $167,400 for 19 people.
>Staff budget includes flights/travel, does not pay for hotel or badges
Obviously that's not evenly distributed, but it gives you a good idea. It doesn't include Mike Uyama's contractual cut from AGDQ, which is probably the most anyone makes off of these events.

Although, guess what, as far as I can tell they didn't disclose their budget for SGDQ 2016 (because people didn't put pressure on them to do so). Maybe they'll do it afterwards.
>>
>>344604267
They brought in new people to the "donation scene" that had never donated to anything before. But you see you can't keep holding donation drives every 6 months and keep raiding the same people's wallets for hundreds of dollars. People will eventually recoil back and say "hey I'm giving a bit too much to this"
>>
>>344600579
I didn't watch the Ty run. What happened?
>>
>>344604385
The way I see it is that I exchange money for something to continue running. The charity is a benefit but before donating I know that most of it want reach the hands of people who need it. I'm not an idiot Anon.
>>
>>344604494
Makes sense. They really have to scale this down if they want to keep doing it as often as they are.
>>
>>344604486
>Calling it a race
That's cute.
>>
Wow it's over already? Fuck that was quick.
>>
>>344603996
GDQ started from nothing though, it was still for charity though...
>>
>>344604602
But the really smart individual would realize that no matter what one man gives, unless he is fantastically independently wealthy, his donation will have no impact on whether the event continues and therefore he can become a free rider on the back of those too stupid to realize this and get GDQs for free.
>>
>>344604556
>Run has incentive for Pacifist Run
>Goal gets met
>Runner still kills enemies because he forgot
>Dev of the game donates
>Is ignored by runner
>Actually starts talking about how poorly the game is programmed
>Keeps saying how everything is frustrating
>At the end gives shoutouts to GMod server he's on
>>
>>344604267
Honestly, I don't understand myself. The obvious answer is that the events aren't as fun, interesting, or feel-good as the older ones; however, the marathons are also essentially the same set of runs over and over. Super Metroid, Zelda, Mega Man, Mario, maybe Sonic (for whatever reason, Sonic is shafted). The autism, and wallets, of fanboys only extend so far. After a while, you've seen all speedrunning has to offer, especially when the marathons get worse and worse every year as genuinely entertaining, enthusiastic runners dry up and are replaced.

Personally, I just don't think it's worth donating to anymore (unless it's MSF, but that's personal preference). I don't full agree with supporting GDQ as a business or as the marathon they've turned into. A lot of older viewers feel similarly, I'd imagine.
>>
Reminder that Doctors Without Borders is literally the charity you donate to if you have no fucking idea what to donate to but want to look like a charitable fucking faggot to normies
>>
>>344604681
>Behemoth Plays: Super Metroid
>>
>>344604487
>doesn't include hotel and badges for the people who are going to be working there...
>>
>>344604819
I truly wise man understands nothing is free.
>>
>>344603995
The run wasnt really long enough for something like that to kick in takes a good half hour to an hour depending on person.
>>
>>344604975
I know it isn't free. But it's free to me because I don't pay for it.
>>
>>344604892
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KYFdgnNy0g

But what about all the people in need anon :^)
>>
>>344604753
>GDQ started from nothing
True, it did.
>It was still for charity, though
True it was.

It didn't really feel like the focus of the marathon, though. The reality is that the marathon now has to be more about the charity in order to sustain how big it has grown, and along the way the staff sat down and said, "We should probably be getting paid for this."
>>
>>344605008
He looks like a pretty fit guy, so lets say 20 to 30 minutes max, watch the stream again and you can see him losing it around the quarter mark. That's when he get's funny, if you have a fast metabolism it will hit you harder.
>>
>>344603834
It felt good ordering that Pepsiman shirt, especially since it'll probably be the ONLY one.

Also, any run PCULL44444 does is good and I'm surprised they keep letting him come back.
>>
>>344604932
"Heeey guyys, behemoth here, I'll just be doing my own thing while these crazy 3 other guys go nuts and burn themselves out rushing like madmen to the finish"
>>
File: 1439553449044.jpg (3 MB, 10000x10000) Image search: [Google]
1439553449044.jpg
3 MB, 10000x10000
>>344604487
>about $8,810 per staff member
Hmm....
>>
>>344600579
>high tier
>arena and skyrim

arena was literally the most boring piece of garbage run. they just did the same dungeon 10 times. and skyrim was a fucking chokefest.

morrowind and daggerfall were ok though.
>>
>>344605040
You pay for it with the time you watch it, views can also be considered a metric to measure its success.
>>
they deduce taxes when donating don't they?
>>
>>344604892
What's a patrician charity then
>>
>>344603489
they dont put any of the bonus incentive runs on the schedule, mario 64 was far from the only one
>>
>>344605008
Maybe he had eaten some before the run.
>>
>>344600040
The best run was Zelda II race where the bearded dude broke the television for failing a strat.
>>
>>344605328
>work 16 hours a day for the week
>$78/h
>>
>>344605475
Something you personally care about.
I for example, if i was actually charitable would donate to alzheimers research or cancer research, because theres history of those things in my family
>>
>>344600040
Was SGDQ 2016 the worst event yet?
>>
Where there any good CHOKES this time around?

I heard the TASblock was a shitshow
>>
>>344605271
>>
>>344605419
>You pay for it with the time you watch it
That doesn't work for the GDQ organizers though as they see nothing out of that. It only works from a larger "limited time on earth" perspective. I'm happily trading that time for some entertainment.
>>
>>344605737
>he didn't watch the last AGDQ
>>
>>344604267
- people don't want to donate too frequently
- incentives aren't as good as they used to be. they used to give away shit like replica master swords valued at ~1000$ or something like that. now, the most valuable item given away is usually a copy of the game itself.
- the events aren't massively different every year, the popular games are run every single time and there generally aren't many risks taken with running games outside of popular series. basically, the magic of watching an any% OOT run wears off after the 5th time.
>>
>>344605760
See >>344604486
>>
>>344605764
Why did Oats fuck up at the end? I really don't get it. He just didn't dodge the MB attack. It's like he had a brain fart or something. It was easily dodgeable given his skill level.
>>
>>344605072
then why can't they get paid, like PDP does, for playing games quick?

fuck
>>
>>344605768
Views get them on the front page and get other people to watch it.
>>
>>344605935
That's a fine 'payment' to me but my one (1) view isn't getting them much. Probably worth less than a cent to them.
>>
>>344605605
Haven't heard anyone talk about the Zelda II run but that sounds hilarious. Thanks for the tip anon, I'll take a look at it when I get the chance.
>>
File: Behemoth87.jpg (73 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Behemoth87.jpg
73 KB, 640x480
>>344605885
Anyone can choke.
>>
I want to speedrun Edobean

is there something wrong with me?
>>
>>344605885
He got under 301 health, so he killed himself because the rainbow attack does that amount of damage no matter what.
>>
>>344606004
>"every little helps".
>>
>>344605817
They do tend to try to vary the categories for many things though. OoT glitchless is not OoT 100% is not OoT any%, etc. Only some categories get to keep coming back every time and those are the popular ones like SM any% races. Notice how they don't keep doing long runs like Chrono Trigger every time or if they do a rerun of a long game like FF6 they vary the category. This time it was sketch glitch category
>>
>>344601570

Either Fallout 3 for one specific moment or Ty the Tasmanian Devil for every moment.
>>
>>344606164
I'm not talking about him running into MB's leg. I'm talking about the shot that put him at under 301 health. He just stood there like a deer in the headlights and let the shot hit him
>>
>>344600579
>>344604838
im watching the ty run now and holy fuck this dude is annoying
>>
How do I know the money is actually going to charity
>>
>>344605451

Deduct is the word you are looking for anon.
>>
>>344606135
Her love will forever be allocated to Edward Elric though. You can never live up to that little bean boy.
>>
>>344606314

>I realize this run is going pretty well
>Let's change that
>That manjawed abomination in a dress on the couch started taking hormones 2 years ago
>Please clap
>>
>>344606087
Story behind that picture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAADWfJO2qM
>>
File: ps4neo the future is exploiting.jpg (100 KB, 947x269) Image search: [Google]
ps4neo the future is exploiting.jpg
100 KB, 947x269
>>344606402
You don't. That's part of the fun.
>>
File: 1350193387298.jpg (36 KB, 470x500) Image search: [Google]
1350193387298.jpg
36 KB, 470x500
>post yfw tranniversary
>>
File: robutts.png (367 KB, 848x450) Image search: [Google]
robutts.png
367 KB, 848x450
>>344606354

in br >conspiracy theory, but the way he just stood there and let himself be hit makes me wonder if they staged the whole thing to have the "underdog" be the winner
>>
>>344601049

Keeping time for a minute BREAKS speedrunners?
>>
File: 1403457532424.gif (2 MB, 275x205) Image search: [Google]
1403457532424.gif
2 MB, 275x205
>that one game you want at GDQ
What's their name?
>>
>>344606659
Humans weren't meant to keep time. They are not clocks.
>>
File: 1467609628046.jpg (120 KB, 392x495) Image search: [Google]
1467609628046.jpg
120 KB, 392x495
>SGDQ is over
>threads still being made
I don't want it to end guys...
>>
>>344606354
I dunno, looks like the little bomb coming up under him distracted him and he dropped his guard
>>
So....I am not a speedrunner. Any tips on how to actually get seen by folks and have a small yet fun atmosphere while playing+streaming the games I enjoy?
>>
>>344606753
We're just limping along until EVO and ESA.
>>
>>344606757
I guess that could be. The fact that two attacks were coming at him at the same time could've split his attention and caused a brain hiccup
>>
>>344606709

>not posting the version with sound

https://my.mixtape.moe/xobvuz.webm
>>
>tfw meme magic didn't make cr1t1kal appearing at gdq real
>>
>>344606709
Not-Kids rated Viewtiful Joe. It's great to see the game being ran fast, but I want to see it being played well too.
But seriously, with Catherine this year, I might as well stop watching. My wishes have been fulfilled.
>>
>>344606709
Anything with Werster running it
>>
>>344606793

start a twitch. get a decent microphone and a camera. pick a game. learn a lot of shit about your game so you can sound like you know what you're doing
>>
>>344606898
Based YSG
>>
>>344606793
Do you mean you aren't currently SRing but will start speed running the games or do you mean you just want to get into regular streaming? Seems rather hard. I'd think speed running might be a bit easier oddly because you contact people already running a game, get shout outs or races to get some notoriety among people who watch that game and can feed off their audience who want more during hours when they're not running.
>>
>>344606709

S P O N G E B O B
P
O
N
G
E
>>
File: Freedom Planet.jpg (241 KB, 941x750) Image search: [Google]
Freedom Planet.jpg
241 KB, 941x750
>>344606709
Megaman Legends 3
Also FP is shit. I hate it
It tries to hard to be something its not.
>>
>>344606753
EVO is in a few days, don't worry.
>>
How was the Diablo run?
>>
>>344607047
>seeing werster at GDQ was something trihex looked forward to every year
>>
Why is there no bonus stream anymore?
>>
Catching up on old runs, Trauma Center is so comfy.
>>
>>344600579
>The Elder Scrolls: Arena, Daggerfall, and Skyrim
this ride was amazin
>new glitches at the run
>>
I've watched a few of these. Why does it seem like there's a speed running festival/meeting every two months?

Also, why are so many of these guys so fuckin weird?
>>
>>344607401

meh.
>>
>>344607418
>People like Werster and BigJon being banned is what pushed Trihex away from speedrunning
>>
>>344607482
Why are people who replay the same game over and over and never get sick of it to stop themselves so fuckin weird, anon?
>>
>>344605737
AGDQ 2016 is still worse.
>>
>>344606793
Have 10 points in Charisma and Luck.
>>
>>344607482
>Also, why are so many of these guys so fuckin weird?
Only weird people would sit around playing one game to get good enough to speed run it. Not really a knock, I'm odd myself, but it's just a fact. Normal people don't have time for that shit
>>
>>344607171
>630.8 hrs
>I hate it.
lolwut?
>>
>>344607482
>Why does it seem like there's a speed running festival/meeting every two months?
There is. But people just make big deal of the ones that happen every half an year.
>why are so many of these guys so fuckin weird?
They spend much of their free time playing same games over and over again. It'd be weirder if they weren't weird.
>>
>>344606498
Holy fuck that comment section is cancer.
>>
File: Cream rescued.jpg (478 KB, 1257x938) Image search: [Google]
Cream rescued.jpg
478 KB, 1257x938
>>344607110
>>344606793
>Camera is optional. Not alot of folks want to see the gamers face. But I can legit say for a fact that you should learn alot of your game so you can at least show the community that your competant in playing the game.
>>344607057
>>
>>344607575
Here's a distressing parallel to point out normies are just as weird:

Why are people who watch people play the same game (football, baseball, basketball, etc) over and over and never get sick of it so fuckin weird? How many times can you see someone make a three or a running back split the middle and run for a touchdown before it just gets old?
>>
>>344604267
Notch usually drops 10k bombs at GDQs, but this time he threw a fit over the twitch tip system so he donated to MSF directly instead of through GDQ
>>
>>344607732
I saved it from some other anon.
>>
>>344607572
>BigJon is banned

FOR WHAT PURPOSE
>>
>>344607928
He was too much of a big guy...for them
>>
>>344607882
>twitch tip system
Whats that? Does twitch now get a cut?
>>
Shit man, how many people are banned at this point? And how many of them were banned for being too real?
>>
>>344607882
Sure he did
>>
>>344608187

He most likely still donated so he could avoid paying out the ass in taxes.
>>
>>344607572
BigJon isnt banned and Trihex said in his stream he was planning on going but when he asked in March there was no Mario Maker
>>
File: GDQ.png (36 KB, 1188x720) Image search: [Google]
GDQ.png
36 KB, 1188x720
Explain why this wouldn't be the best GDQ setup

If you wanna be a fag you can use two couches, but rolling couch is more fun
>>
>>344608178
Google twitch bits or twitch cheer.

It's basically the exact same systems camwhore sites use for "tips"
>>
File: No way.jpg (438 KB, 1280x2466) Image search: [Google]
No way.jpg
438 KB, 1280x2466
Is Gaming for Good a good Twitch Alternative to giving Donations to Charity/Streamers?
>>
>>344608184
Is there a list somewhere where we can see who is banned? Some people said the ty guy got banned but I never saw him acknowledge that on his pastebin and didn't see any official gdq statement that he was banned, only that they agreed that it was problematic that he did not follow the incentive properly and that they would take that into consideration before allowing him to run in the future or the like.
>>
>>344606986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST-pMFpiDP0
same guy too
before you ask, he dropped the webcam somewhat soon after because he didn't like it that much
>>
>>344608342
Because it requires twice the amount of equipment
>>
>>344607928
>>344608260
Oh. I heard he got shat on for showing his NES Golf cart during the All Stars Lost Levels run, and was banned for that.
Nevermind then.
>>
File: 1467921494885.png (728 KB, 960x776) Image search: [Google]
1467921494885.png
728 KB, 960x776
/v/cord for anyone
We'll be watching ESA together too

https://discord.gg/HPMwM
>>
>>344608342
>>344608461
And double the stage space.

Not to mention double the wires.
>>
>>344608342
because the marathon would move too quickly and they'd have to schedule more runs
>>
>>344608342
>rolling couch
look they're not skinny beta nerds, I'm sure 2 techs can lift a couch
rolling couches are a hazard you know
>>
>>344608418
There was a post on plebbit about the ty run and a GDQ person commented saying its going to be extremely hard for TyGuy to do another run
>>
File: 1464195697574.gif (989 KB, 385x229) Image search: [Google]
1464195697574.gif
989 KB, 385x229
>>344607171
fuck why did you have to remind me that Capcom cucked me out of actually experiencing ML3?
>>
>>344607749
>>344607575
>>344607617
Makes sense. I'm a little jealous of these people. I wish there was a game I could replay time and again and never get tired of it.
>>
>>344608515
>showing his NES Golf cart
What.

How would that cause him to get banned?
>>
>>344608515
He was planned in the Mario Maker block but Pcull4444 subbed cause BigJon had the flu and bronchitis or some shit, i dont remember what he said in stream
>>
>>344608595
That isn't really a hard ban. Also I thought a ban meant they couldn't even attend the event rather than it just meaning they can't run at an event
>>
>>344608403
Take a look at that neck.

>>344608558
Please stop.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 69

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.