[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>+249% barracks creation speed >35% cheaper infantry >anarchy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 4
File: The_African_Kingdoms.png (197 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
The_African_Kingdoms.png
197 KB, 400x250
>+249% barracks creation speed
>35% cheaper infantry
>anarchy research (allows unique units to be created from barracks)
>all barracks upgrades
>all infantry blacksmith upgrades
>+8 pierce armor for elite huskral to counter castles and archers
>access to cheap halberdiers to counter calvary units
>access to cheap hussars to flank calvary archers

is there any reason not to pick the Goths civilization?
>>
>>344578943
And people like you are the reason they keep doing it. Is it really that hard to just ignore it?
>>
>>344578943
Maybe if you STOP POSTING THIS FUCKING IMAGE, you would actually get discussion about the game.

But no, you posted the expansion with the smug nigger
>>
how do I learn how to play AoE II online?

is it as demanding and autistic as BW and SC2 or can I play it a lot more relaxed? Where can I learn the Meta and all of that?

I want to like it, but it's just so hard to know what to do if you don't have someone telling what to do and why.
>>
>>344577645
>caring about barracks
lel
>>
>mods deleting we wuz kangz

Why are they letting OP instigate shitposting only for people to actually get banned?

That's dirty as fuck
>>
Getting the bundle from Steam has been incredibly satisfying.
>>
Celts master race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yAxMiOWkP8
>>
>>344579494
WE DID IT FOR FREE N SHIT
>>
>>344579494
Because absolutely nothing about OP's post is against the rules.
>>
Are the Chinese a good choice for beginners?
>>
>>344577645

Not just building mad walls and towers. Or picking a cavalry civ... why op
>>
>>344579158
>don't post x picture because it's triggering
Quite funny actually shamalama
>>
>>344579494
It is called a honeypot dearie.
Anyhow, since this is in escapable...
What's in the African Empires expansion?

I got the original AoEII and Conquerors. How is the steam version any different? To be honest I still hate the "day one" achievement thing they did, reason I did not want to support it, but I feel nostalgic, and I want to know what is new on this.
>>
>>344579776
>Not using Koreans
I love those turtle boats.
You are missing on the turtle boats.
>>
>>344579952
>How is the steam version any different
Workshop support and built in Twitch streaming, iirc.
>>
>>344577645
>spent literally thousands of hours on SWGB as a kid
>want to play AoE for the first time
>want to play AoM for the first time
>want to play CK2 for the first time
>can't decide between GS and RTS
>end up buying nothing during the sale
Help me
>>
>>344580078
Thank's, I'll try them out. I usually pick the Chinese so I can get all of the cheap labor done asap.
>>
>>344579952
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_MEFt7KrxQ
>>
>>344580412
Europe Champions.
>>
>>344579436
apm and all that shit means nothing in AoE 2 online

its more about flexibility and your ability to think on the go.

there's alot more randomized things in AoE2 that you don't get in SC2 or BW.

You could be spawned below a massive hill (which gives small bonuses to anyone at a higher elevation), your boars could be too far away (which could mean less likely successful knight/tower rush strat), etc. etc.

with all the variability between each map, each civilization, hard/soft counters there's alot more flexibility for players. The only different in AoE between a high elo and low elo player usually comes down to how they react in any given situation.
>>
>>344579494
There is nothing in the OP that is against the rules and it's not his fault that retards associate this classic game with the most annoying shitpost of current 4chan
>>
>>344580605
is there any good place to learn the game?
I can't trust steam guides honestly
>>
>>344580802
You could watch high level play on YouTube
Alternatively just play against hard AI and git gud
>>
>>344580269
I meant to say, what's new with the new civilizations.
>>
>>344577645
Because a lot of people don't allow advancing to the imperial age in games.
>>
>>344580802
spiritofthelaw is a really great AoE2 analyst, he has very good videos on the break down of different civs and "how to" guides.

outside of that is to download AoE2 replay packs from high elo players and play alot of matches, then watch the replays to see how you can improve.

you can also practice some basic micro skills like grabbing boars with villagers without loom, dodging mangonels with crossbowmans, and and some of the basic building/ unit formation hotkeys.

While not learning them won't detract too much from how well you can do in AoE2 online, they'll really help raise your skill ceiling.
>>
File: Aoeiii-cover.jpg (42 KB, 256x356) Image search: [Google]
Aoeiii-cover.jpg
42 KB, 256x356
What went wrong?
>>
>>344581304
A focus on multiplayer before the true age of online rts multiplayer.
>>
Question
Why is Portugal an African kingdom in this game ?
>>
>>344581258

Hah was about to post spiritof the law. Damn i still enjoy his videos when i stoped playing aoe
>>
>>344581304
gimmicky card system and removal of alot of the essential basics of AoE2 in an attempt to streamline gameplay

aka. don't fix what ain't broken.
>>
>>344581304
Too demanding regarding graphics. Even high end cards had problems running it. It shed the establishment fanbase.
>>
>>344581304
Nothing.
I played AOEII for years and dropped thousands of hours into it, but i'd still rather play AOEIII now. I just love the time period and once you get off your change is bad mentality, the game is actually really fucking solid and alot of fun. Looks beautiful too.
>>
AoM or AoE, fags? AoE seems a bit bland compared to AoM
>>
>>344582278
I would say that AoM hasn't aged as well as AoE has
>>
>>344582509
how so?
>>
>>344582071

What are you on? Aoe 3 graphics aged horribly. And oh god the zoom feels so in the face.
>>
>>344583004
Opinions are hot potatoes.
>>
>>344583258

Old 3d graphics aging badly is a pretty prevalent opinion tough. Ill give you the zoom. As that is pure taste. But i prefer to see more of the battlefield.
>>
>>344583597
The game looks fine maxed out at max zoom. It could be a low resolution on your half? Hope your not playing it on a laptop.
>>
>>344583597
>>344583258
>>344583004
I thought we were talking about AoE2? Comparing AoE3 to AoM doesn't really make sense, does it? Honest question, as I've never played any of them
>>
>>344583785

1080p. I really dislike how blocky strategy games look in3d. Always preferred sprites. A matter of taste.

I mean i do like really good looking 3d strategy games but those end up being a bitch to run in large battles.
>>
>>344583889
AoE3 to AoM makes more sense then aoe2 since age 2 is a 2d sprite game with a grid whereas AoM and AoE3 are 3d games with 3d building and placement.
>>
>>344584147
AoE2 is widely regarded as far superior to AoE3 though
>>
>>344585558
That's nice.
>>
>>344585612
?
>>
>>344581304
I've only played against AI. IDK about any competitive scene.
+Pros+
The trade post system for resource/xp bonuses and native warriors/researches was a neat way to encourage spreading out, but, it's fairly forgettable.
Being able to upgrade your home city for the Europeans, adding new people to the streets and different historical buildings was a nice touch
Age1 Europe is max comfy
*Mehs*
The different factions kinda play similarly, though what they tried is at least unique (for villagers: Dutch use coin, Russians spawn in number, Turks get villagers on a timer, French durable).
Napoleonic Era and Wars of Liberty are the only major modding projects, and, after 11 years, they've finally been able to find a way to add more than the base 14 nations.
-Cons-
It focused on colonization and then realized that meant it cut out on all the good intercontinental conflicts that occurred from 1600 to 1800. This ignores the Swedes, Poles, Austrians, and Italians, amongst other native-nations, like the Inca,
Subjective opinion: The Native Americans played like shit. Asians were better, China>Japanus>PooInDaLoo. Europe still the best, but no USA.
The maps were fairly boring, and, despite a lack of return points, it didn't reward expansion except for more trees to cut down.
Villagers gathered too slowly in comparison to the other Age games, even with upgrades. This made unit costs appear higher and more scarce
The Explorer was pretty useless after tier 2
There's only two map types where navies are absolutely necessary, the rest sometimes just have a "corner" (although a round map) with a puddle, some fish, and a whale.
Melee infantry shit themselves when you tried to use them in large numbers.
Units moved too slow to make any real fast plays. Sending cavalry ahead of infantry didn't make much of a difference.
Units had too much life and hp, while buildings died too easily.
Max pop is too easily reached
>>
>>344588734
+
Dogs quote shakespeare
It looks decent for 2005
Tiering up choices were interesting, but didn't effect like AoM
Sound direction felt pretty uninspired, but the music was decent
-
Campaign was pretty shit. Stepping through history in Age2 was fun, not Fountain of Youth bullshit
Units were slow to react, limited any attempts at micro
Building sprawls of Age3+ looked bad
Fortresses and towers were pretty shitty, with only one shot per second, compared to Age2 castles with
Unique units were just upgraded versions of regular units. Nothing special like the wide variety in Age2
Farms & Plantations would be better if they were cheaper, smaller, and only hosted 2-4 workers rather than 10 workers for 200/400w.
>>
Excuse me, my african-american partner, but at one point during our history, we were known as kings.

why the fuck can't we have decent AoE II discussion, memes have ruined everything
>>
>>344590648
I know it fucking sucks man
>>
>>344590648
you can fight shitposts with decent replies and discussion around the game, and ignoring WE WUZ KINGS posts.
if you make a big fuzz around a meme, people will be prone to posting more and more of it just to piss you off
>>
>>344577645
Infantry sucks, unless you're Goths. Too much effort/resources for too little reward. But then Goth infantry bonus only applies to the Imperial Age, which they wouldn't reach because they will be fucked by archer and cavalry civs (except Franks) in the Dark Age.
>>
>>344591324
cheap infantry is good for buffering fights though
>>
>>344577645
>is there any reason not to pick the Goths civilization?
Can't build stone walls. How do you plan to keep the mexicans out, op?
>>
>>344591638
A good offense is the best defence, as they say.
>>
>>344581304
I loved it, really underrated game
It's even better if you get Asian expansion
>>
>>344580150
pirate now and play whatever you feel like.

Then when you feel comfortable about supporting either or both buy the game.
>>
Is there a difference between garrisoning archers or melee infantry into Siege Rams or do they both give rams the same benefit?
>>
>>344580802
Just play the campaigns
>>
>>344581304
You are nostalgia fag
>>
>>344592146
>It's even better if you get Asian expansion
Get both Asian+Warchief expansions to balance out the same-y vanilla civs (their buildings look too similar to each other and most of their units are either COMEONDAMAN or Lifebuoy Hussars or a combination of both.)
>>
>>344577645
If your opponent picks goths, you rush the shit out of them and don't let them get to Imperial with the economy necessary for the infantry spam.
>>
Never played AoE2, is HD decent?
>>
>>344592515
KOMMANDAMAN
>>
I'm shit at pretty much everything in this game but I've got this nagging feeling when it comes to teutons like I could actually be decent at them, what are some tips and shit
>>
AoM best Ao
>>
>>344592769
Teutonic knights are fucking tanks holy shit, but are supereasily kited
>>
Is there a way to restore 60fps? The devs messed the game up.
>>
>>344592769
And build max best onangers to counter (cav) archers ruining the teutonic knights fun
>>
>>344592881
Yeah I hear you can pile them in seige towers so they move much faster what's a good formation if enemies catch them alone?
>>
>>344593035
If they're archers, you're fucked. Else, you win ez gg no re
>>
>>344593025
Shit thanks for that one all my fucking friends fucking LOVE cav civs
>>
>>344592708
Africa > Conquerors > Vanilla > Forgotten
If you don't care about new race and campaigns, you're good just finding the CD's.
However, it is nice that it's integrated with Steam workshop, so you can get visual updates to add some visual variety, as well as Gachimuchi and YTP taunt packs.
>>
>>344577645
Who cares, AOE2 is a shit competitive game, if you get lucky resource spawns and feudal age rush you will win 99% of the time unless the other person got luckier with resources and also did feudal age rush

age of mythology is the superior game, the only thing AOE2 has over it is casual appeal because you can spend 30 minutes building a million units and then slam them into the enemys ball of units
>>
why was Portugal part of the african kingdoms release
>>
>>344581026
My dad plays 1v8 on hardest and his strat is to build walls like a mother fucker. Is this a viable strat against real people? He always fucks me hard with it
>>
>>344593637
Bots spend a lot of time killing walls
>>
>>344593497
both players get the same ressources
>>
>>344593605
well, they colonized a substantial part of Africa
>>
File: basedhades.jpg (323 KB, 682x984) Image search: [Google]
basedhades.jpg
323 KB, 682x984
empiresfags
mythology is better
chink DLC was a mistake though
>>
>>344593780
the general layout is the same but you can have stuff where P1 has boars way closer then P2 does so he gets one unit out faster and snowballs an advantage

one of the lines AI players make when they lose directly references this
>>
>>344581304
Inf resource buildings and no longer having to carry resources back from nodes killed everything
>>
>>344579436
Check Spiritofthelaw yt chanell.I've been playing casually for 12 years and his channel was a bomb of knowledge to me.

His game bs the hardest AI was really entertaining.
>>
>>344594851
>His game bs the hardest AI was really entertaining.
Link it
>>
>>344581304
My problems lie with four major missteps:
>Maps are too small for a game focused on the age of exploration.
>Despite the amazing eye-candy physics, all units are functionally the same. Cavalry are unable to charge. Musketeers don't fight in any kind of formations. Ships are just big units rather than behaving like ships.
>Campaign is not very interesting. Instead of following a fictional general in Napoleon's army, or covering the American War for Independence, we get a completely fictional story about the Fountain of Youth and Illuminati.
>Card system is fundamentally broken.

Something I sorely miss from Age of Mythology was the way that choosing a minor god would give you unique units and technologies rather than just dropping off 12 musketeers and a canon at your Town Center.

I will say though that the game's presentation is amazing. I love seeing buildings get blown apart by canon fire or watching the natives walk around their little towns. Music is great too.
>>
>>344593896
I think the biggest problem with Tale of the Dragon is that none of the team seemed to have much experience with Age of Mythology modding.

AoEII had a vibrant modding scene, and while The Forgotten was a little bit mishandled with the campaigns, the new factions and the later African Kingdoms expansion felt much better.
>>
>>344594951
https://youtube.com/watch?v=3pBBEaWHi-U
>>
>>344581304
I loved AoEIII just as much as II so I dunno
>>
QUICK POST BEST FACTION AND WHY
>>
>>344577645
>can't build stone walls or gates
>can't build bombard towers
>>
>>344597063
MAGYARS
FUCK YOUR ARTILLERY
TRASH SPAM
>>
>>344597063
Magyars are fun as fuck, dat light cav
I also like the slavs due to seige and goat unique infantry tech
>>
File: 1468201634375.jpg (25 KB, 542x579) Image search: [Google]
1468201634375.jpg
25 KB, 542x579
AOE 2 HD recently just completely stopped working for me.

I try to launch it in Steam and it literally does nothing. Nothing even pops up in task manager.

Anyone else?
>>
>>344598971
Try verifying the integrity of the cache, or checking your steam workshop items
>>
>>344599982
tried verifying cache. tried deleting and reinstalling. nothing installed in workshop. only game that has ever done this to me on steam.

just wanna get drunk/ comfy and listen to shamburger bros.
>>
>>344597063
POP
POP
POP
POP
POPTUGAL
>>
>>344577645
Easily countered by other infantry civs, specially Aztecs, Japanese and Vikings
Bad boomers, rushing civs, like Aztecs, Huns, Mongols and Mayans will fuck them up
Destroyed by Turks

They are a good civ overrall, but if you can't win by Gothic flood, it's gg.

Next question.
>>
>>344581304
>pick british
>REVOLUTION
>gatlings with US flags
not wrong for me. I enjoy it af
>>
>>344577645
Probably because no one gives a fuck about the barracks in Imperial. Although pikemen are good for fodder.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.