[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's his story?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: phalanx stories.jpg (67 KB, 680x497) Image search: [Google]
phalanx stories.jpg
67 KB, 680x497
What's his story?
>>
He just wants the aliens gone
>>
I wonder if he;s still alive.
>>
he's the final boss
>>
He wonders where Cotton Eye'd Joe went...
>>
>>344577535
he's the guy that plays/sings the Firefly opening theme
>>
they just wanted something that would catch people's eyes
>>
>>344577535

He's gonna sing you the story of the best damn pilot in the galaxy, that's what he's gon do.

Why, he remembers it like it was yesterday...

>guitar strumming begins
>>
>>344581618

But that's a banjo, anon.
>>
>tfw no shmup with a banjo soundtrack
>>
File: 1465199838446.png (35 KB, 328x269) Image search: [Google]
1465199838446.png
35 KB, 328x269
>>344577535
What the fuck was his problem?
>>
>>344581618
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki4vLlRTVBA
>>
>ywn learn why this guy was on the cover
>>
>>344584576
but we do know, they just wanted a cover that stood out.
>>
>>344581618
>>344583202
>We were the best Rick and I
>We had to be
>being part of the Galactic Security force meant keeping the galaxy at peace
>We were were the only ones that got the distress call
>>
>>344581703
Ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSggtXbusdE
>>
>>344577535
WHAT AM I DOIN' HERE?
MOTHERFUCKERS

SUPER NINTENDO
THE FUCK IS THAT?
>>
>>344577535
It was explained on electronic gaming monthly a long time ago, it was just marketing strat, you're fucking welcome, now your childhood is ruined, every single game released that defines yourself and loved was made just to make your parents spend money.

from EGM Sept. 2001:
THE PHALANX FACTOR

>Q: What was the deal with that old dude on the cover of the SNES shooter Phalanx?

>A:Phalanx was just another Super NES sidescrolling shooter that we all probably would have forgotten by now - if not for the inexplicable shot of the bearded geezer strummin' a banjo on the game's box cover. Why the old guy? The problem is that all the game art looked alike at the time - monsters or spaceships or something," explains Matt Guss, head of the advertising company behind the Phalanx campaign. "We wanted to create shock value so somone would have to pick the game up. We called it the 'Heavy Huh?!' factor." Art director Keith Campbell says they did the photo shoot themselves, hiring a model for the role of the 80-something hayseed. "I'd used him before as Santa Claus on an album-cover shoot," Guss adds. "I remember him coming into the studio, and I though the poor guy was gonna die right there on the stage. I think he'd had a stroke earlier - not earlier that day, but in the past . . . We stuck a banjo in his hands, and I think we stuck a spaceship behind his head that he was supposed to be staring at in wonder, sort of a Star Wars-come-to-the-Ozarks kind of thing." You gotta admit Guss' cover concept was mighty effective. After all, we're still talking about the game 10 years after its release. Heavy, huh? If you're too young to remember this game, don't worry Kemco's rereleasing it for the Game Boy Advance.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.