[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's that game coming, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
How's that game coming, /v/?
>>
File: Feels outa nowhere.png (199 KB, 292x468) Image search: [Google]
Feels outa nowhere.png
199 KB, 292x468
>>344520173
Nowhere. I keep trying to do the UE4 tutorials but I can't seem to load up the test levels. There's so much shit too and I don't know where to start with. I keep just leaving it and saying I'll try again next time. This has been happening for a year.
What do?
>>
>>344520413
Open one of the samples with a concrete goal in mind, like "I'm going to add mouse support to the two stick shooter" or "I'm going to add an ammo system to the FPS", and don't quit until you've done it.
>>
>only tutorial related to what you want to do is based on an old version of the engine
>you try to do 1:1 what they're doing but shit is missing
>have to spend a lot of time looking up what replaced what
>shit is broken and the stupid blueprint programming language is taking more effort to learn than simply programming everything
>>
>>344520173
I recently developed a desire to make a simple 2d game.

I have been programming stuff before, but I don't know where to start.

Any tips?
>>
>>344520173
I decided to try starting off by making a little game in Gamemaker, but I keep getting stuck for long periods at a time. Hoping I can get better over time.
>>
File: ForestEarlyWork.webm (922 KB, 800x330) Image search: [Google]
ForestEarlyWork.webm
922 KB, 800x330
Its good! Released a demo update today, and I'm working on the forest world assets as we speak (webm related).

You can even get the demo here;
https://thewhitereaper.itch.io/bokube-alpha-demo
>>
>>344520561
don't make the next Undertale or Starbound, I'm not even saying that as in a "I hate it/I love it" type of way. I mean like don't get caught up in a huge scale thing that you know you can't keep up with, or get caught up in something that explodes with conflicting reactions and be stuck in the middle of it. If you have changing ideas about what the game should be take a break from the main game and work on those smaller ideas as their own little projects, this not only helps you creatively, but also allows you to actually see what you could use in the game and tries to push your limits. But anon, just remember that if you ever show /v/ it, it will either be praised or be shit all over and if it does get big enough for some form of media attention, do not let the negative reviews get to you, because no matter what there will always be negative reviews.
>>
I've been stuck on HUDs and GUIs in Gamemaker. My problem is getting the thing to scale when I resize the window. For some reason the GUI surface doesn't scale with the rest of the window.

I can't find any tutorials that talk about doing stuff like that either. Really tutorials in Gamemaker seem incredibly sparse in general for anything that isn't incredibly basic.
>>
Spent a month so far modelling, rigging, animating and I just want to get back to programming
>>
File: TJ RPG.jpg (204 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
TJ RPG.jpg
204 KB, 1280x800
>>344520173
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfaP-KcZIcs
Ok I guess
>>
Bad
>>
Guys I had an idea. Why don't they make VR for Civ? It would be pretty damn cool, they could make it like you're playing a board game or something.
>>
File: you are a big fish.jpg (457 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
you are a big fish.jpg
457 KB, 1280x960
unsure about this fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmbHkNFZ5Y
>>
File: character.png (352 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
character.png
352 KB, 1920x1080
>>344520173
i am working on character atm, not really game but portfolio piece
>>
>>344520859
>don't make the next Undertale
Nigga a fucking monkey could have made that
>>
>>344520859
Cheers mate. I don't want to make another undertale or anything like that. It'd be more of a private project really. How some big coders code their game? Like, see how they make simple games for 2-day or 1-day challenges? How are they doing it?
>>
>>344520173
How long would it take for someone to learn Gamemaker as a whole? I'm not talking basic drag and drop shit, I mean being fully proficient in it.

I find it hard to work when there's no visible goal in mind.
>>
File: plant+walkcycle.png (55 KB, 1268x565) Image search: [Google]
plant+walkcycle.png
55 KB, 1268x565
>did 3 frames of animation in 2 days
>scrapped it anyways
gg no re
>>
>>344520951
>Really tutorials in Gamemaker seem incredibly sparse in general for anything that isn't incredibly basic.
that's my experience with GM aswell

you might try your luck going through the official GM forums, I've already seen forums posts listing blocks of code that are just useful to have in your game
>>
File: 1454649804947.jpg (316 KB, 700x795) Image search: [Google]
1454649804947.jpg
316 KB, 700x795
So anon, what do you make your game in?
>>
>>344526697
Godot
>>
>>344520173
it's not because I didn't fall for the game dev meme
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.