[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does it mean when a game is too "video-gamey"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 13
File: er3vZn2.webm (549 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
er3vZn2.webm
549 KB, 480x480
What does it mean when a game is too "video-gamey"?
>>
>>344518296

For me it's when the game falls into such overused gameplay tropes that I can already tell how the encounter is going to play out, and nothing ends up surprising me even though it's the first time i've fucking touched the game.
>>
It means people who say that don't like video games
>>
>>344518296
It means /v/ can finally hate something.
>>
File: hamburgerrr.png (255 KB, 555x495) Image search: [Google]
hamburgerrr.png
255 KB, 555x495
>>344518296
When a game forces me to play it instead of just letting me skip it so I can get to the story.
>>
When it becomes "too fun."
>>
File: 1467452221546.png (440 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1467452221546.png
440 KB, 640x480
when the devs put gameplay before any other features, numales have to whine about it
>>
It means the game is holding back gaming from advancing and being taken seriously as an art form.
>>
When a game that tries to be serious or realistic mindlessly does a bunch of mechanics without thinking of how they integrate with the narrative.

Like how in BioShock you eat food out of trash cans.
>>
>>344518296
>about to fight a boss
>battle starts
>boss jumps up and slams back down, sending out shockwaves that you avoid by jumping over them
>after doing three of those, he starts shooting fireballs
>after the fireballs he goes into a cool-down
>you run up and start hitting him
>after a few seconds he wakes up and starts doing a rolling attack around the stage
>rolling attack stops and he starts doing the jumping shockwave thing again
>rinse repeat
Like fucking seriously. Every fucking game.
>>
File: mhm.png (79 KB, 148x244) Image search: [Google]
mhm.png
79 KB, 148x244
>>344518486
Reminder that hamburger helper is 100% right. In today's era of movies pretending to be games, it only makes sense to allow people to skip the parts they find frustrating to continue the film. Actual games already this feature built in through level selection and cheat codes.
>>
>>344518486
I mean I can understand her answer for the first question, but holy crap that answer for the 2nd question is stupid.
>>
>>344518486
GTA V and it sold like hotcake.
>>
Yakuza 5 was called to gamey by some faggot from GameSpot I think.

Too many videogame elements in it or some horse shit.
>>
>>344518486
I remember when this quote was made, she was a laughing stock.

Then GTA 5 happened. Fuck that game and fuck people who play video games not for the gameplay.
>>
>>344518596
And that's the thing that you brought up? Not the fact that eating food instantly heals you? Well then again maybe in the world of Bioshock there's a gene tonic that allows quick healing by eating food.
>>
>>344518931
ree normies post ecchi
>>
>>344518296
guess i have to di it

what's going on in the pic, OP?
>>
File: dancing frog face.png (132 KB, 227x331) Image search: [Google]
dancing frog face.png
132 KB, 227x331
>>344518990
>its normal for people to not like gameplay in their games

Do you listen to what you say?
>>
>>344519061
father disappointed at anime kid what else
>>
>>344519097
I was memeposting. That's not ecchi.
>>
File: sweater2.jpg (569 KB, 900x1304) Image search: [Google]
sweater2.jpg
569 KB, 900x1304
>>344519158
>memeposting
Don't do that.
>>
>>344519153
what the fuck does her retard walk have to do with anime
>>
File: 9I0Q2[1].jpg (27 KB, 507x252) Image search: [Google]
9I0Q2[1].jpg
27 KB, 507x252
It's a quote from someone at bioware who spoke poorly but had a good point. They were planning on making the illusive man turn into a big reaper husk monster for a boss battle at the end of mass effect 3, but decided against including a boss battle for the sake of a boss battle because it would look preposterous in the context of the actual game

This is one thing Mass Effect 3 actually did right. They made this mistake in Mass Effect 2 and everybody complains about it to this day.
>>
>>344518931
I'll confess I ended up skipping a couple race missions in GTAV.

Like honestly I don't think races were ever GTA's strong suit. They're very boring and I often lost a few of them just because I wasn't paying much attention and would crash into something.

On a whole I really think driving in GTAV is really fucking boring although it's fun just to use Franklin's OP slow motion ability. Shootouts and general mayhem are a riot though.
>>
>>344518568
How were they playing first person games on a controller before?
>>
File: 1430004284603.png (143 KB, 720x1017) Image search: [Google]
1430004284603.png
143 KB, 720x1017
>>344519235
best tripbro
>>
>>344519235
die

>>344519337
you forgot your trip
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (170 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
170 KB, 1024x576
>>344519271
See also: Arkahm Asylum's final boss.
>>
File: 1458199787157.jpg (241 KB, 832x809) Image search: [Google]
1458199787157.jpg
241 KB, 832x809
>>344519375
fuck off faggot
>>
I feel that if there's some narrative element that could just be directly explained or involves some weird ritual, going on a fetch quest to answer it feels really shitty because it's "expected because it's a game". Rather than just telling it to us, they felt some retarded need to add padding to this quest where it wasn't needed or desired, because "video games". That's what "too gamey" means.

Fortunately, these moments are dramatically few and far in between, so this topic is never really valid or meaningful.
>>
>>344518963
I dunno it's the first thing that comes to mind.
>Ludonarrative interference is a convenient phrase for pointing out instances of game-mechanicky elements flopping dead-fish-like at the feet or into the face of the story a game is trying to tell. Ludonarrative interference is when a little taken-for-granted videogame design trope unceremoniously bubbles corpse-like to the surface of a game’s story’s otherwise pristine ocean.
>“Gamers” don’t appreciate acknowledgement of ludonarrative interference, the way some of them also don’t like the word “shower”, the way the manager of a candy shop doesn’t like the word-combination “Whole Foods”, or the way a guy who owns two “Fangoria” T-shirts doesn’t like the word “sexism”.
>Ludonarrative interference is something that, more often than not, persons unfamiliar with games will be able to point out with striking, horrendous frequency, to the point where, sometimes, the True Gamer has to pause the game and offer the non-gamer a book. The non-gamer makes a face like they’re seeing an oasis in the desert, and then promptly returns to picking apart the game, after seeing that — duh — the True Gamer’s bookshelf only contains coloring books, issues of Maxim, and Skyrim strategy guides (like, forty of them).
I'd say that's being video gamey, but I can't remember the context of when the phrase "too video gamey" started popping up so maybe it's something else about cliches like >>344518638.
>>
>>344519235
>tripfag telling others to don't do that
oh boy
>>
>>344518638
Wow. You've managed to understand the concept of attack patterns.
>>
File: dxgdY7e.jpg (43 KB, 382x341) Image search: [Google]
dxgdY7e.jpg
43 KB, 382x341
>>344519250
how to spot a dirty weeaboo
>>
Imagine playing Dark Souls and a thing pops up on screen saying HIGH SCORE! INSERT INITIALS: _ _ _
>>
>>344519313
Doom rules; left stick forward, back, turn left/right. That's how the arrow keys worked in Doom, and it's what every shooter did subsequently.
>>
>>344519446
Forgot it again.
>>
>>344519573
/Thread
>>
>>344519295
I remember trying GTA4, heard it was game of the year, one of the best ever, ect.

Honestly, I was underwhelmed. Fucking up the sandbox was fun for a few hours, the story mode was tedious more times than I can count, and the multiplayer left much to be desired. I don't see the draw to GTA, once you explore the world and gun down about a thousand civies, its not worth playing.
>GTA5 is a console exclusive, NEVER EVAR PCFAGZ
>dont care
>GTA5 is coming to PC
>still dont care
>>
>>344519313
Stick would be used to turn right/left and move forward/back while you'd have shoulder buttons (other stick) to strafe left/right look and look up/down
>>
Depends on the game.

Some games attempt to create a believable world and context for your actions in an effort to create an immersive and/or moving experience. For games such as these, being "Too videogamey" typically entails game mechanics, jargon, or design intruding jarringly into this setup. To name a topical example, Call of Duty makes you attend a funeral - in theory an emotional event - then asks you to press [F] to pay your respects, ruining the mood.

Alternatively, some games just wanna be games, in which case it's literally impossible for them to be "Too videogamey."
>>
>>344519061
she dates a nigger.
his father knows it, and thats why the disappointment look.
>>
>>344519539
>the textbook on Ludonarrative interference would be an 8-hour youtube video of someone's grandma watching them play Bioshock Infinite
>"How does he get that can of beans open so fast?"
>"Why were there 3 shotgun shells and a half-smoked pack of cigarettes in that box marked 'chocolates'?"
>"Why are so many of these guards carrying whole pineapples?"
>>
>>344518638
I mean if it weren't for the fact that you could just hit him upon waiting for him to cool down, you'd pretty much describe Bowser in Super Mario Galaxy 1.
>>
File: 200% Good.jpg (31 KB, 205x319) Image search: [Google]
200% Good.jpg
31 KB, 205x319
>>344519705
this fucking guy gets it
>>
>>344519708
STOP TRIGGERING ME
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
It's very difficult to explain, but if I had to simplify my thoughts I'd have to say that it can definitely can happen. Not in the modern conception of it, tainted by failed journalists destined to write about videogames they're no longer passionate for the rest of their life since they're too inept for anything else. I'd say it happens when the existence of a gameplay mechanic and atmosphere clash so hard it's tangible. The best example I can come up right now is Fatal Frame: the game is spooky as shit and has a fantastic sense of dread, but the Camera Obscura mechanic in itself is more akin to a light-gun shooter from the arcades (I wouldn't be surprised if someone managed to play through it with one of those guns add-ons for the PS2) and it's honestly just incredibly fun and addictive.

People who write off "gameiness" as a negative baffle me: it's not bad by itself, it's just something you spot, laugh it off, and keep playing the game. If the gameplay in itself is bad or bare-bones then it can certainly hinder the enjoyment of the game.
>>
>>344519776
I'd watch that.
>>
>>344518296
For a lot of people, it means that the mechanics have no context.

e.g. You can climb red walls, but can't climb blue walls, versus you can climb walls with a sticky resin, but can't climb walls without it.
>>
File: maymay dog.png (789 KB, 729x546) Image search: [Google]
maymay dog.png
789 KB, 729x546
>>344518296
Buzzword nongamers use when their SJW complaints didn't remove enough gameplay to make it all cutscenes.
>>
>>344518296
it means jannies and mods are cancer
>>
i think this reaction comes when titles incorporate mechanics or other properties that you find in lots of other games but that do not at all suit the title at hand and often ruin it. The progression and upgrade system in the new Mirrors Edge is a prime example. Awful and adds nothing to the game. Completely ruined what Mirrors Edge is supposed to be about, which is Running. Just. Running. Not some half assed story, not unlocking upgrades or some stupid combat mechanics. All of those just divert from the experience.
>>
>>344519708
is that why she's walking funny?
>>
>>344518638
The problem there is the video game using shit video game conventions, not the video game being a video game.
Something like Seven Force is no less "gamey", but it's certainly a much more engaging and enjoyable fight than the sort of thing you describe.
>>
Gamey by oposition to simulationist.

For example take Deus Ex HR.

If it had followed it's precursor's footsteps and had been more about the simulation aspects, more about empoewering the gamer to allow emergent gameplay, it' verb of "punching through walls" would have been usable on *any* surfce wall of a certain type (think wood arrow in original Thief). Instead what we got was a verb that was basically the bomob in zelda anc ould only be used in certain pre-arranged spots.

That's too gamey.

Another example is Pillars of Eternity vs the old AD&D systems of Baldurs gate games.
AD&D was meant to be a simulationist rule set. Which meant that there was optimal or suboptimal choices but as long as internal consistency wasn't broken, it helped you feel like part of a world that had its own cohesive rules. by opposition Pillar with it' ficus on balance hits you on the head, you never really feel like you're interacting with another world, you're too much focused on the fact that this is a game you're playing.
>>
>>344518931
The only thing i skipped in GTA V was that mission where you had to take the train using the helicopter for the bank job.
Fuck that, controlling the heli with keyboard is a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>344521549
I did it no problem git gud
>>
>>344518486
Why doesn't she just read a book or watch a movie?
>>
>>344521910
"Or something?"
>>
>>344518296
I would assume that it's when the integrity of the game world is sacrificed in favor of the integrity of the gameplay.

But then again, the integrity of the gameplay should always take precedence. It's like in the Souls games, arrows and projectiles are slow so that players can actually react and respond. The sword fighting is telegraphed and simple as opposed to mimicking real sword fighting.
Dungeon crawlers like Daggerfall/BotW where you can climb almost completely flat surfaces because climbing is fun and it doesn't matter that much just how realistic it would be to climb such a surface.
Or just about any game with a double jump just for the sake of added aerial manoeuvrability.

These are all things that are great for gameplay but ever so slightly diminishes the integrity of the game world itself. But who cares, we're playing the games for the gameplay aren't we?
>>
>>344518296
It means that the writer isn't good enough to write about movies.
>>
>>344518296
When it feels contrived.

Putting a weapon pick up on a rooftop makes no sense: How did it get there? Who put it there and why? A game that feels authentic would put that weapon in a place that makes logical sense like an armory.

It has nothing to do with hating gameplay, it's about creating a believable world.
>>
>>344518486
I wish Witcher 3 had a skip combat button. I inly played it for the story and I'm not ashamed to admit that.
>>
>>344524236
Read the book, then.
While you're at it, read Roadside Picnic. Followed by Dune.
>>
>>344519560
Yes, but they could've done a better job hiding the fact that there's a pattern so it doesn't feel as contrived.
>>
>>344519382
Joker is now Bane?
>>
>>344524381
I did read the books after finishing the base game. Went back to the game when the expansion packs hit.
>>
>>344518296

it means its not 'art' enough for the sjw faggot crowd.
>>
>>344524228
You shouldn't make "believable" world if being "believable" makes the game less fun to play.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.