[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it good? Worth the money/time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4
File: Pillars of Eternity.jpg (60 KB, 915x585) Image search: [Google]
Pillars of Eternity.jpg
60 KB, 915x585
Is it good? Worth the money/time?
>>
bought it during the sale a week ago. it's thoroughly decent. I have loads of minor complaints because I post on /v/ and therefore borderline autistic and nitpicky, but realistically, I've sunk 32 hours into it, enjoyed it, and I get the feeling I'm only just over halfway through.
some very good characters, a few interesting plots and setting elements, and combat is good enough
>>
>>344486606

It's decent. I found the writing a bit flowery for a story so drab, but I enjoyed the gameplay, although it is a bit of an acquired taste.

It is a decent game and the expansions bring excellent improvements to the gameplay. I have not finished my new playthrough since I bought the expansion yet so I can't say what it changes at later levels (I think you can go to level 16 instead of 12 now) but I think a lot of the class imbalances have been fixed.

So yeah, it's alright. It has some annoyances, like the backer characters really are irritating and stupid (they're distributed throughout the world and look like normal NPCs except they have a gold portrait and when you click on them you get some gay self-insert story, they're totally ignorable I clicked on them all the time by accident, thinking they might be a useful npc).
>>
>>344487214
>>344487261

Is there any voice acting in it or is it all written dialogue?

The only cRPGs I played before were Fallout 1+2 and I enjoyed having those important NPCs with dialogue.
>>
>>344487615

It has dialogue. I very much enjoyed the voice acting, I thought it was very good overall.

Not ALL dialogue is voice acted, though.

You make your player character and do a tutorial dungeon - minor spoiler for you here-

the companions who join you for the tutorial dungeon die at the end of it, and you can loot their shit off of them when you finish it, so don't fret too much about them at the start

and then you find premade characters who have stories, voice acting, and such throughout the game. In the first town you will find a character rather suited to tanking (Eder, the fighter) and a wizard named Aloth (with multiple personality disorder). Their stories are pretty fun and I liked Eder's glib humor.

It's not a game that stands out to me as the best and I do have some complaints here and there, but it was very competent and worth a play, especially if you liked games from back when CRPGs were more common.
>>
>>344487937

Alright, thanks for the info mate.

Sounds like its definitely worth giving a shot. I'd like to support Obsidian anyway if they're keeping up the standard
>>
>>344488397

No problem, I hope you enjoy it. I think the game has a mixed reception on /v/ because it was hyped like crazy, and crpgs are definitely not a genre everyone enjoys... so tons of people bought it and found out they didn't like that style of game. That said early on there were some severe balancing concerns (druids and monks were pretty fucking imba), but I think much of it has worked itself out.
>>
Friendly reminder that Durance is awesome.

I liked the writing a lot in this game. There were at least half a dozen quest choices which had me sitting and really trying to figure out what my character would do in a given situation. I'm talking sitting back away from the screen and actually thinking about the options.
Good stuff.
>>
>>344488662

Durance was by far my favorite. I enjoyed his dialogue and voicework more than most others. His realizations about his faith and Magran and how he felt about it was pretty touching.
>>
>>344487937
>I liked Eder's glib humor
this. characters like that sometimes annoy me, so I avoided him at first, but he grew on me.
he's like a version of alistair from DA:O that was actually done right. understated, underplayed, and well-timed humour, but enough grit and gravitas that I actually believed the backstory about him being a soldier and having lost a lot of shit
>>
The game is decent, which is the best we could hope for. Obsidian was literally on the cusp of collapse and had to produce this game on an extremely tight schedule in order to crawl back from the grave. It's a competent game, but nothing spectacular. Looking forward to their future games though
>>
>>344486606
Absolutely not, this is Obsidian's desperate attempt to draw in an audience that doesn't exist anymore, everyone who cared for such clunky CRPGs either will always play the old ones or have grown up to expect better from games these days.
>>
>>344489065

> Eder is getting beat down by 50 mobs
> Durance shouts "A GIFT IF THE EOTHASIAN STAYS DOWN"

fuckin gr8
>>
Nope, it's worst than awful, it's completely mediocre. It's not the worst game, but it's thoroughly bland. There's some interesting stuff in it but you have to go through so much shit to get to it. The RPG mechanics are incredibly bland, they wanted to do something different than DnD but all they did was make a slightly worse version.
>>
File: durance.jpg (11 KB, 544x44) Image search: [Google]
durance.jpg
11 KB, 544x44
>>344488662
Durance was a fun character.

Overall, the game was rather enjoyable.
>>
>>344489001
so...what do you guys think? does it matter that the gods were created by the Engwithans? I had trouble deciding. I can sympathize with Iovara and her Utopian desire for humanity to better itself and not rely on Gods. On the other hand, is it not grand if one has an ideal one worships and a purpose in life and to have that ideal/purpose manifest itself as a god with tangible power and presence?
>>
It's a decent throwback to old school D&D RPGs but nowherer near as good. I was massively disappointed and let down at the final result but it's still serviceable
>>
>tfw I keep screaming are there no gods?!
>>
>>344486606
i enjoyed it. if you like those types of games, id recommend it
>>
OP, do NOT listen to the people in this thread saying it's bad. If you enjoy old school RPGs like Baldurs Gate, then play this game. Ive spent waaay over 100 hours playing it, and its amazing. Theres lots of deep, dark themes, amazing environments, and the characters (although bland at first) really transform at the end. The customization is endless and it has options for noobs and hardcore players. You get tons of choices about every aspect of the game. I was a melee Cypher, which is basically a mind controller psychic and I made mine wield a big ass two handed sword. She could turn enemies into allies, all kinds of shit. I spent so many hours just customizing my party to make it as optimal as possible. Trust me, its worth it. Im vouching for this game so hard because I thorougly loved it and hope theres a second one.
>>
>>344486606
It's thoroughly mediocre.
>>
>>344489286
>>344489891
>These pityfully inadequate and halfhearted attempts to bash it after a thread pretty much praising it, with much more detail and information as to why its good

>Nobody likes it
>the game saved obsidian from closing and also made them more relevant than ever before
>it also strenghtened their relations with paradox

What was the point, with this level of argumentation you make yourself look like people who hate it for no reasone they themselves understand.
>>
Seriously fuck all of you who are downtalking this game. For something funded through Kickstarter, it was fantastic. It may not be the ode to DnD that you wished for, but as a stand alone game its incredible. In terms of CRPGS what more could you want? The story was interesting and different making you question the actual existence of the "gods" themselves, the world when combined with DLC is huge, varied, and full of secrets, theres an endless amount of weapons and armor, zero class restrictions, crafting, fully voice acted party members with quests for each, challenging but satisfying combat...I could go om but my fingers hurt because im typing on mobile.
>>
>>344489891
>>344492053
>It is worst(lol) than aweful
>it is mediocre
>>
>>344492150
>theres an endless amount of weapons and armor
please someone tell me this is merely pretending
>>
>>344492113
first guy is somewhat right though, despite the game selling well anyway
the main demographic is people who wanted another baldurs gate but their nostalgia goggles prevented them from enjoying it
its why they are at least somewhat streamlining tyranny's game mechanics. Theyre appealing to a different crowd: the people that grew up with 2003-2009 rpgs not 1996-2002 rpgs.
>>
It's executed fine overall, it has some problems with the combat mechanics due to balancing autism gone wrong gone sexual that makes everything super boring. The writing is way, way too verbose. It takes people 15 lines of "look mom I've got a thesaurus" dialogue to say something profoundly boring that could've been said in 5 lines. To be honest I guess the feeling I got while playing this game is that it's not like the old CRPGs where I was sitting there thinking "I want to put a good amount of time into this and do multiple playthroughs," it felt almost as if the game's soul feature was being a pale imitation of older games as a demonstration that a game like Baldur's Gate can be properly modernised, but they didn't do anything with the game itself that stood out at all. If you're really interested just get it when it's on sale, I wouldn't pay full price for it.
>>
>>344492814
>tyranny
>release date: 2016

Well that was fast
>>
>>344492931

I'll also add that I feel if they make either a direct sequel or some sort of 'spiritual successor' to PoE I'll probably buy it because PoE fell short only in a few areas, mainly due to not bringing anything new to the table and not doing a good job of bringing old things to the table, with a little innovation and more gameplay variety it could easily be great and I trust Obsidian enough to make a better game with their next try.
>>
>>344492113
>the game saved obsidian from closing
I know, it's a fucking shame about that, Obsidian's high horse only gets higher.

I quit playing PoE after I got stuck for a few hours because the only options I could find were
a) fight the enemies clearly far too strong for my party because they're in my way
b) fight the enemies clearly far too strong for my party because they're in a place I'm not allowed to be yet
c) look at a guide to figure out what the fuck to do
I shouldn't have to look at a guide so early on.

Holding my hand is terrible game design, but games should at the very least hint on how to properly progress through the game, PoE told me to go fuck myself unless I wanted to spend hours searching for some way to progress through the game because all it's telling me is to go to this high level area at a low level.

And the whole camp thing is bullshit the way it is, it could have been designed better but it wasn't.
>>
>>344493390
I thought they confirmed a poe 2 set in the black italy place
>>
>>344493612
how far were you before you quit?
>>
>>344493737
I haven't played it in a year so all I can tell you is I know I wasn't very far, but I had a full party
>>
>>344492814
>its why they are at least somewhat streamlining tyranny's game mechanics. Theyre appealing to a different crowd: the people that grew up with 2003-2009 rpgs not 1996-2002 rpgs.
this is so false it hurts
>>
>>344494310
I fucking hope not, because if it's true then Obsidian might publish something worth playing
>>
>>344494789
The only thing Brian Heins is changing gameplay wise is way experience is earned and cleaning up the overcomplicated and overdesigned mechanics of PoE, like the completely moronic health system.
>>
>>344493890
so what you're saying is that you really, really, really suck. roflmaotrolololololol xPPPPPPP
>>
OP if you're still here.

As someone who hasn't played older crpgs and has only played Divinity OS:EE and Shadowrun Dragonrun. PoE is fucking great, more immersive than some of the other current stuff.

the gameplay isn't the highest point but has a very strong focus on story and dialogue and all the little things if you're willing to find them. well worth a purchase, especially if discounted
>>
>>344494930

Well that's a start
>>
>>344494930
>moronic health systems
I don't understand.
>>
>>344494930

So basically non-issues instead of the anti-fun spells-per-rest mechanic where spells are grouped together in levels and you can only cast a certain amount of spells from each level per rest instead of attaching the per rest limit to the spells themselves? Or better yet discarding the BG-style spell system entirely and including a mana system like most sane developers.
>>
>>344495279
Seems like you're a bit out of touch. Let me help you out:
Tyranny:
>has a classless RPG system
>experience is gained through your actions (for example attacking enemies with a sword will earn you +1 in the "sword" skill)
>Interrupt: We still have interrupt in Tyranny, but we’ve simplified this a bit. Unlike Pillars, we don’t have a separate Interrupt roll. Only some abilities will interrupt the target. When those abilities Hit or Crit, they will interrupt (Grazes and Misses do not interrupt). An interrupted target has any queued actions cleared and enters recovery. The length of their recovery depends on how strong the ability’s interrupt was.
>Consumables: We’ve changed how consumables work in Tyranny. They’re now an instant action, meaning the effects apply as soon as you use the consumable, even if the character is on recovery. Once a character uses a consumable, all consumables for that character are on cooldown for a short duration. This allows you to rescue a character at low health, but you can’t just spam healing potions to make your party members invincible.
>Friendly Fire: We’ve removed friendly fire from abilities in Tyranny. I wanted players to be able to focus on maximizing their damage to enemies, without worrying about harming their own party members in the process.
>As difficulty increases, we focus more on the AI and tactics of enemies rather than just adding more enemies to each encounter. On harder difficulties enemies will choose targets more effectively as well as use their abilities more frequently and strategically. We also replace some weaker units with more challenging ones at higher difficulties.
>>
>>344495451
???
Those have been removed. Spells now work on a cooldown basis, they're no longer "per rest"/"per encounter".
>>
>>344494930
theyre removing per rest charges on spells
removing friendly fire from aoe effects
consumables are instantaneous with their own cooldown rather than waiting for the character's "turn"
>>
>>344492150
No one is downtalking the game. They're actually giving some valid criticism. It's a good game, but there are flaws here and there.
>>
>>344495660

Huh. I had no idea. Guess I should reinstall cause that was one of my main gripes with the game.
>>
>>344496000
What? Nigga I'm talking about Tyranny. Per-rest abilities are still in PoE.

https://blog.tyrannygame.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/362960/
>>
>>344496000
they were only removed from the low tier spells and for some spells that you pick as 'spell mastery'. you can't spam shit even today and fuck you for wanting that.
>>
>>344495963
there were huge shitstorms about the game when it came out, people were needlessly trashing it
not that he should come into the thread and complain about it unwarranted
>>
>>344495550

I am out of touch, I didn't even know this game existed until this thread. Thanks!
>>
>>344496126

Oh I see, I probably should've scrolled up and read the original reply chain. I just assumed the thread was still on-topic.
>>
>>344496192

Yeah fuck me for not wanting to break up dungeon exploration with constant resting even at stupid times (like resting in the middle of a castle you've just invaded) because you get like 4 spells that aren't even an instant kill and the rest of the time you're a left clicker class like all the others only worse.
>>
>>344492931

>gone wrong gone sexual

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>344496295
Are you the OP?
If you're looking to pick it up, I'd honestly say it isn't worth its retail price (40€ I think?). Even though I paid 40€ for it and got 87 hours out of it in a playthrough, unless you're a big fan of cRPGs and don't mind reading, I don't really see anyone enjoying the game.
I didn't even pick up the expansions because I was sort of disappointed with the game.
>>
>>344496516
>break up dungeon exploration
dude. resting takes like 5 seconds. You never need to use all 4 of your rests to clear any dungeon. You need to pick an easier difficulty if you suck that much.
>>
>>344496205
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk4L-fqdm3g
animations look absolutely great. Digging the art style too
too bad every encounter with trash mobs takes 5 minutes. Hopefully theyll work on it or be able to reduce it with difficulty settings
>>
>>344496836
>too bad every encounter with trash mobs takes 5 minutes.
and they were playing on the easiest difficulty too (Story mode)
>>
File: Bored-Man-Black-Background.jpg (162 KB, 575x350) Image search: [Google]
Bored-Man-Black-Background.jpg
162 KB, 575x350
>>344496836
>that dialogue
it's gonna be another wiki dump I see
>>
>>344497250
hopefully harder difficulties multiply damage like 3 times and enemy health only 1.5
>>
>>344495550

You're missing the greatest feature

>no backer made story sequences
>>
File: 3.png (16 KB, 284x370) Image search: [Google]
3.png
16 KB, 284x370
>mfw Obsidian games
Why are they so fucking bland, /v/? Black Isle games were filled to the brim with personality.
>>
>>344498004
Bait
>>
>>344498336
its not bait if its true
>>
>>344486606
Not as good as D:OS but it's pretty decent, if it's still $40 something dollars, definitely worth it on sale for around $15 if you can
>>
>>344498925
>motb
>kotor2
>new Vegas
>alpha protocol
>bland or lacking character
>>
Picture an Atheist buttmad about his favorite board games portaying settings where gods are real and interact with the world at large.

Now picture him writing a story for a game where he can call the shots and "open the eyes" of the blind masses in regards to that subject.

That is PoE.
>>
>>344500068

That's not true at all.
>>
>>344499087
>All of these games came out in less than 6 years
>It's been almost that long since they've made anything decent
I think it's time to move on, Avellone already has
>>
>>344500068
I think Thaos was too compelling in his reasoning for it to be a simple 'open the eyes' thing.
You were presented with two options, Iovara vs Thaos. Iovara was perhaps more compelling to you than Thaos which is why you think it was one-sided.
>>
>>344486606
If you like RPGs it'll be at least good enough. Whether it's great or not is obviously a matter of 'debate'.
>>
Are the expansions worth replaying the game for? played the game once before the expansions and thought the game was decent
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.