[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the worst PC port ever and why is it Dead Space?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5
File: header.jpg (33 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
33 KB, 460x215
What's the worst PC port ever and why is it Dead Space?

This shit is L I T E R A L L Y unplayable
>>
>>344469505
Learn to use "literally" correctly, you little shit.
>>
>>344469505
I never had any problems with it whatsoever.
>>
>>344469505
0/10
>>
>>344469691
ur'e literally a faggot

>>344469760
lol k
>>
>>344469505
You should probably explain your reasoning because I don't remember any issues.
>>
Arkham Knight
GTAIV (3, VC, and SA also have issues)
Probably a bunch of ports from the mid 90s
Black Ops 3
DMC3
Saints Row 2

Not sure which I would consider the absolute worst though. I'm sure there's more than a few games that actually don't work at all on PC.
>>
Saints Row 2 was pretty horrific.
>>
Getting Saints Row 2 to run on PC literally requires you to use use an ingame race and a stop watch to make the time run properly.
>>
git gud faggot
>>
Dark Souls. This is unarguable.
>>
>/v/ defends the Dead Space port now
I don't even know what level of ironic contrarian we're playing off of anymore.

>>344469929
>V-Sync for some reason applies some weird combination of mouse acceleration and smoothing that makes the game unplayable
>no way to fix this, just have to turn it off for ever
>the max sensitivity you can set for your mouse without third party software requires two full cycles of going to the other side of your mouse pad, lifting it up, and repeating just to cover a 45 degree angle
>there's a difference between your camera speed while walking, and aiming, making playing a fucking chore with no way to fix this
>mouse sensitivity seems to be different every time you aim your weapon
It's fucking awful. I'm sure there's more I'm missing. I haven't played this game in years, and if I ever want to replay it thank God I have it on 360.
>>
>>344469505
What's wrong with it?
>>
I always thought Dark Souls was agreed to be the worst one around.
>>
>>344469505
Dead Space PC port was decent.
Dark Souls PC port is the worst shit ever.
>>
>>344469505
The only problems I remember was an unfixable mouse lag (unrelated to vsync) and a literal blur filter for antialiasing.
>>
>>344469505
That's not dark souls OP
>>
>>344470470
So let me get this, you're too much of a chicken shit to play it, so you found every little excuse with the game you could find.
>>
>>344470470
I didn't like how the mouse felt so I used a controller right away. Guess that's why I don't remember any problems.
>>
What? What kind of an ancient piece of shit are you running that you have trouble with dead space?
>>
EA didn't give a shit how shoddy their port was and literally claimed that the performance issues related to the borken vsync/mouse sensitivity were "difficulty enhancements"

Technically they're not wrong; Isaac lumbering around slower DOES make it a more difficult survival-horror experience than being able to spin on a dime and cut off limbs like a BALD SPEESMURINE.

Dead Space 2 had PC in mind from the get-go so it didn't have any shit port issues.
>>
>>344470470
if you force v-sync off it clears up the mouse problems

thats seriously the only issue, not even close to worst port
>>
>>344469760

Did you use a controller? The PC port most certainly is awful if you're using a mouse. If you did use a mouse and you don't remember it being an awful experience, then maybe your PC just wasn't able to run the game any faster than 60 frames per second. I'm pretty sure high frame rate is what causes the mouse sensitivity problems, and the only in-game option which can fix this is the Vsync which also makes the game unplayable due to input delay.
>>
>>344470662
The issue isn't performance.
>>
>>344469505
Dark Souls on PC is pretty shit but a mod fixes it so it becomes playable... with odd glitches.
>>
Saints Row 2
>>
File: has science gone too far.jpg (365 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
has science gone too far.jpg
365 KB, 1680x1050
As a port, it is pretty awful. With Vsync on, the input lag is horrible (on the order of a whole second), and with Vsync off, the mouse sensitivity is fucked up and unpredictable.

You'll absolutely need to force Vsync (or otherwise limit frame rate) with some other software. Maybe the Nvidia driver software will do it for you. However, I can confirm that AMD's driver software (Catalyst Control Center) does not force Vsync in this game, just like it doesn't force Vsync in most games. (I think the functionality is limited to OpenGL, actually.) As an AMD user, I used D3DOverrider to force Vsync in this game. I've heard that RadeonPro can do it too, but on the few occasions when I actually used RadeonPro for other games, it caused instability and/or wasn't any better than D3DOverrider.

So yeah, as a port, it's fucked. The developers were incompetent. But it's still a great game, if you can fix those technical issues.
>>
>>344470765
No, it only clears up the mouse acceleration.

There's still the input lag and the fucking crippled turtle speed of the max sensitivity.

>>344470662
>>344470610
not an argument
>>
Bioshock. My game freezes when trying to load Neptune's Bounty. I've tried reinstalling and searching for answers. Quite a few out there have had the same problem. No solution anywhere.

Fucking PC bullshit. Waste of my fucking time.
>>
>>344470662

An older computer would probably run it better, considering one of the biggest problems with the PC port is what happens when you turn off the laggy Vsync option and let the frames per second exceed 60.
>>
>>344470728
>being able to spin on a dime and cut off limbs like a BALD SPEESMURINE

We were supposed to be able to do this? I finished the game years ago and thought that the slow mouse movement was on purpose, for the reason you described. I was never aware of how it controlled on consoles.

Still not the worst port ever. At least it actually runs properly. You want bad ports, look at shit like Saints Row 2.
>>
>>344471159
>buh buh not an argument
You're a 12 year old.
>>
>>344471067
This tbҺ fαm
It's just a monstrous fucking port. MGS is a close second.
>>
>>344471526
>At least it actually runs properly.

It doesn't, though. That's the whole point of the post to which you just replied.
>>
>>344471671
not an argument
>>
can't wait for the remastered versions of DP1 and DP2 desu
>>
>>344470109
GTA IV takes the cake, i agree
but GTA 3 era "ports" have zero problems whatsoever
>>
>>344471967
DS1 and DS2*
the fuck am I smoking
>>
>>344471342

The only problem I remember having with BioShock on Windows 7 is that the loading times were unreasonably long.

Then again, I don't think I actually got all the way to Neptune's Bounty when I played on Windows 7. The last time I played through the whole game was probably on Windows XP.
>>
>>344471936
>I'm 12
Ok.
>>
>>344469505
you need to play more ports if you think this port was bad

try playing DMC3 on PC and see how it goes
>>
Deadly Premonition is fucked beyond all belief.
>>
>>344469505
frame rate tied to mouse sensitivity just cap the frame rate to 60 and disable V-sync.

Pleb.
>>
>>344472012
the only GTA that felt clunky to me was GTA IV. I never had any problem with the older GTA games.
Flying in GTA SA was easy imo.
>>
>>344471791
MGS has issues but it's not that bad. It actually runs more or less fine. MGS2 is better but still has issues and needs some fixing on modern hardware.

>>344472012
>but GTA 3 era "ports" have zero problems whatsoever
Some of their game logic is tied to the framerate and this causes weird things if you don't lock your framerate at around 30 fps. In Vice City the main thing I noticed are that cars seem to be more top heavy at 60 fps. Boats also move a lot slower at higher framerates. SA has similar issues. Boats and water take off planes move slow and with the planes it's impossible to take off at 60 fps or higher. Your breath when diving under water lasts for less time at higher framerates and at least one mission is broken at too high a framerate. The one where you tie the guy to the front of your car, it'll get stuck in the cutscene at a higher framerate.

They're actually worse than GTAIV, which only really has performance issues besides the QTE at the last mission with the helicopter.
>>
>>344472180
not an argument
>>
>>344469760
Me either. I didn't have to do anything, it just werked.
>>
>>344472180
>>344471671

Normally I'd agree that "not an argument" is not a good reply, but if you're >>344470662 or >>344470610 then just fuck off already. It's a known fact that the PC port of Dead Space has technical issues and I can't imagine what anyone would hope to accomplish by denying it.
>>
>>344472276
>MGS has issues but it's not that bad. It actually runs more or less fine.
It doesn't run at all, unless you use software mode which is atrocious and is limited to 800x600. MGS2 is also a strong contender with the broken renderer and controller support, or lack thereof.
But SR2 takes the cake. It's just downright unplayable without mods, and even then it looks like a PS1 game.
>>
It can't be worse that RE4 when it was first ported.
No mouse support. In a game about aiming and shooting.
That was fucking horrible.
>>
>>344469505
>literally
>>344469831
>ur'e
>lol k
Summer is truly here
>>
File: 1273159753556.jpg~c200.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1273159753556.jpg~c200.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
>>344472686
>>344472686
>>
Worst PC port in the existence is Deadly Premonition's. You don't know shit, OP.
>>
File: mgsi_2014_07_11_23_29_23_984.jpg (288 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
mgsi_2014_07_11_23_29_23_984.jpg
288 KB, 1024x768
>>344472554
MGS runs fine for me, just missing some effects or them being rendered wrong and the video cutscenes not playing.

MGS2 does need a hex edit to render correctly (though I think this is just an issue with modern hardware) and I've had no problem with its controller support. Plugged my 360 controller in and it was recognized. Just needed to change the controls. It also has the video cutscenes not playing but I think it's a codec issue and another thing that's just an issue on modern hardware.

Here's a screenshot I took of MGS1 from playing the PC version. Running at 1024x768 with 4x transparency supersampling and 8x msaa.
>>
Wasn't the Arkham Knight port so bad that they just offered a refund to everyone who bought it instead of trying to fix it?
>>
>>344473185
>MGS2 does need a hex edit to render correctly
what?
just set the model quality to 2 and it runs fine.
>>
>>344473297
But that lowers the model quality and it looks like shit.
>>
>>344473270
yes, they took it off the steam store too
they put it back up but I heard it's still a shit port
>>
>>344471967

I've been waiting. Everywhere I read says EA refuses to remaster their shit.
>>
>>344472683

Shooting games are made for controllers, scrub.
>>
>>344469505
Fable anniversary is a pretty terrible port.
>>
>>344469505
The game requires vsync to be on.

That's literally it.

Otherwise there are invisible walls that don't let you progress which is baffling.
>>
>>344469505
I get it. is your first time playing on a PC.
>>
>>344469505
The worst port in the history of gaming is the DMC3 Special Edition PC port by Ubisoft.
>>
>>344475502
not an argument
>>
How do you lock fps in Dead Space?
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.