[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the only way not to be a monster is to just not play Why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
>the only way not to be a monster is to just not play

Why did anyone think this was a good premise for a game? It doesn't expect you to do any self-reflection, it just outright berates you for progressing through the story. Is that not why we play video games?

This game seriously needed some choice that wasn't bleak as fuck so at least when you do something horrific, you deserve to be admonished for it.

The gameplay is alright, though.
>>
>>344412274
Some games just have to be dark and edgy.
Cool opinion and thread, though. It really made me think.
>>
File: 1438039747538.jpg (1 MB, 3744x5616) Image search: [Google]
1438039747538.jpg
1 MB, 3744x5616
spec ops was an ~almost~ unfun slog of just brutal, spartan third person cover shooter shit that felt like it was just trying to drag you further and further down to the basal, grim and destitute level of the gameplay for the entire time, centered around a plot involving steady but gradual degeneration of the player character as an amicable human being, it really isn't unwise to compare it to heart of darkness or some shit with the angles that some characters occupy.

p. fun desu
>>
Joke's on you, I quit after the first trench tube "let's rip off GoW - badly" fight because of the shitty controls.
>>
>>344412274
You misunderstood. The point was you never had a choice and neither do soldiers.
>WAR IS HELLLLL
>>
And even then the moral is lost because the character, and by extension the player, is insane. They didn't have a choice, they were crazy. If the game asked use if we want to do bad things and then we said yes, then you could call us assholes, but as it is now, it's accidental manslaughter with a pleading of insanity on top. We aren't bad people, we just need help.
>>
>>344412274
I pirated it and I had fun, gave me some feels
Fuck that one segment where you're advancing on the big ass tower with the lmg black guy and have to go through the smashed plane and other shitty cover
>>
I'm glad this meme game died off. /v/ was praising for so long and sold it as a game where you made choices. Turns outs its just another generic FPS but this time they take the edgy route with the story

>SON YOU COULD HAVE JUST TURNED OFF THE GAME AT ANY TIME YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO DO THAT THING THAT COMPLETES THE LEVEL
>>
>>344412274
>Anonymous
A lot of pretentious but well done window dressing over a generic cover shooter. I liked it.
>>
>>344413139
Soldiers do have a choice tho. Most Western countries give soldiers the right to not follow orders that they themselves can't stand for. It's a response to the Nazis where so many soldiers excused their actions on "just following orders".
>>
>>344412274
The 4th wall breaking loading screens ruined everything
Also they should've given players some kind of choice regarding white phosphorus and they know it, I think they even admitted that it was a shitty scene somewhere.
>>
>>344413839
Not the guy you are replying to but it doesn't work that way in the US. On the books you probably can refuse orders but there is something of political battle for your personally as a soldier. If you start disobeying orders you're essentially going to be black balled because it makes you, everyone around you, your commanding officer and his commanding officer all look bad. Most people raise up the ranks licking boots with the thought "I'm going to change how this system works", then end up being huge assholes like the guy before him.
>>
>>344412908
>, it really isn't unwise to compare it to heart of darkness
Considering its a Heart of Darkness adaptation comparing it makes sense
>>
>>344413839
I didn't say it was a smart point.
That said, maybe it is more of a "in the midst of the battle you feel like you have to" than a "you have to obey orders".
Though, something could be said of the mental breaking of soldiers during training so that they are more likely to follow orders, coupled with the training most game players have received to follow whatever the "objective" is.
>>
>>344413139
Actually soldiers have a legal obligation to disobey an unlawful order. Following an unlawful order is as illegal as giving one.
>>
File: 12423525243524.gif (1 MB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
12423525243524.gif
1 MB, 500x365
This game didn't work for me becasue I bought it with the expectation that I was going to be killing everyone. that's what I do when I get a game, I play it with the intent to hurt and kill. When I kill an enemy in a game I don't think "yay, exp!", I think "I just killed that guy."
The game falls short because I already learned and moved on from it's moral.It doen't sdurprise me when game tells me I've been killing people, because that's what I buy games to do. I assume this game was aimed at CoD kids who only care about K/D and xp, but I was not that group, so it did nothing for me.

In the end it's just a not so good cover shooter that got too famous.
>>
>>344414018
>4th wall breaking loading screens ruined everything
>How many Americans have you killed

Yeah that shit ruined it by trying too hard to make you feel bad.
>>
everyone says this game is like super dark and makes you think at night but I thought it was kind of dumb. Kind of like if undertale forced you to play genocide, people would be like omg im so evil but in the end even undertale didn't go down that route because it would just be stupid
>>
>>344413309

I considered it a mercy killing. Except I had to use a rock to mercy kill you.
>>
>>344414632
I know right? It feels so forced and it baffles me that so many people said that the game is like making them cry and rethink their lives and shit and I'm like wtf? I honestly think that the game is just like really edgy to normies
>>
>>344412274
It's about the main character-s arc from being a good boy soldier, to doing tbings he'd never imagined he'd have to do. Like Vietnam
>>
>>344412274
I thought it was more a commentary on modern military shooters
>>
>>344413839
yeah, that doesn't really happen. Technically, yes, you can disobey orders, right or not, but that doesn't mean you aren't gona get put in jail or dishonorably discharged
>>
The game would have worked if there was to play it using nonlethal force with the narration changing with your playstyle.
>>
>>344414632
I think the greatest fault of this game is not making sure player understands that he's not Walker, although he as well could be.
There are subtle things like the 3rd person camera, but apparently that wasn't enough.
And then loading screens. God, this gotta be one of the worst design choices of the recent game history.
>>
>>344412274
I think it's less 'you're a bad person for playing/enjoying stuff like this' and more 'it's fucked up that we make and play stuff like this'
>>
>Waaah they should've gave me choices

That's not the narrative they wanted. Just play the fucking game.
>>
>>344415620
Laws of armed conflict isn't exactly difficult to understand in this regard. You cannot disobey a lawful order, obviously you can be put in prison for that (a lawful order can even be one that gets you killed such as draw that machine gun's fire so we can see it's tracers). But you can't be punished for disobeying an unlawful order, so long as it was actually unlawful. Anyone issuing an order to execute a PW for example would be in danger of going to prison, and his soldiers have a legal obligation to disobey, and if they chose to follow it they are as guilty as he is.
>>
>>344413589
>FPS

TPS, nigger.
>>
>>344416205
So I get to be a bad person because I bought their game? Pfft.

Thank fuck I enjoy shooting dudes.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.