[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Never played a Souls game so I thought I'd start at the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: Demon's_Souls_Cover.jpg (104 KB, 256x295) Image search: [Google]
Demon's_Souls_Cover.jpg
104 KB, 256x295
Never played a Souls game so I thought I'd start at the beginning. What should I expect?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (126 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
126 KB, 600x600
start at the real beginning faggot
>>
>>344397343
Yeah, I'm not going to do that. Thanks though.
>>
gj being a dismissive cunt
>>
>Interesting, creative bosses
>Awkward, poorly designed parts of the game due to inexperience
>One of the easier games in the series
>Clunky game mechanics
>Overall fun
>>
It's a dumb meme to say "Prepare to Die" nowadays but

You are very likely going to die a lot

Don't take it as a failure
>>
>>344397543
Yeah thats what I thought. Thats cool though. Its on sale on PSN so it was this or Scholar of the first Sin. I got this instead - was that the right thing to do?
>>
A few shitty mechanics everybody overlooks for nostalgia, like tendency, item burden and 99 healing items having near unlimited healing.

Overall, it's a solid game though, the gameplay is great, the atmosphere is amazing and while people criticize a lot of the bosses for being gimmicky, it gives them a sense of being unique, as opposed to later games where they tend to all fall into "fast humanoid"
Try to avoid spoilers if you can with regards to being able to cheese the game.

Overall though, my personal taste:
DaS > BB > DaS3 = DeS >>> DaS2
>>
>>344397280
Downloaded it in the sale recently myself. First game like this I've played also

Expect to feel like you've got to grips with things & can breeze through the level with ease just as you get to a new area, & then panic & die immediately to the first enemy you see
>>
>>344397280
The only worthwhile Souls game besides Bloodborne
>>
>>344397779
>then panic & die immediately to the first enemy you see
Yea, that was me. To that FUCKING GIANT knight dude, losing all my souls at his feet.
>>
File: 1255915710516.jpg (26 KB, 404x400) Image search: [Google]
1255915710516.jpg
26 KB, 404x400
>>344397280
A game that is A.B.A.P.
Get off /v/ and go play it, you fucking newfag.
>>
A game that has been outdone in every single aspect. I was convinced to buy a PS3 solely for this after playing DaS1-3 and I didn't even feel like finshing the game. Luckily I found some other great exclusives instead.
>>
>>344397994
I did surprisingly okay with that on my first attempt still died though. It was the very first tentacle-faced prison guard in the Tower of Latria that absolutely murdered me immediately after starting the level
>>
been playing this game like a fucking madman this past week. online's not as dead as you may expect it to be, even managed a friend's ring and old monk's head collar on my latest playthrough
>>
>>344398561
>doing co-op playthrough with friend
>put sign down in Latria
>get summoned for old monk over and over

This was only like a year ago, ended up with like 4 monk wraps
>>
>>344397280
You want to go through this one quick.
Get kris blade, ring of magical sharpness, clever rat ring and morion blade.
Cast firestorm.
>>
>>344398791
>first souls game
>You want to go through this one quick.
Don't listen to this idiot.
>>
You'll find a red eyes knight in the first world. There will be hints to not fight him, try and fight him anyway even if you die. It serves as a good lesson in difficulty and stat scaling because later on they'll be the average enemy.

It's my favorite in the series but that's mostly for the athetics. No game in the series is more Berserk universe than Demons Souls
>>
>>344397385
Why not, are you a pussy?
>>
>>344397280

a broken, unbalanced mess
>>
>>344397639
They're all good games and basically play the same with some added improvements here and there. DeS could be more fun for you because of some of the ways you can break the game.
>>
>>344397280
always be in soul form, kill yourself in the nexus whenever you're human
>>
>>344399846
This being human is dumb as it makes you do less damage.
>>
Once you find a weapon you like, make sure to level it up as often as possible. Leveling up your character's always a good idea, but you don't see immediate results as far as damage out put is concerned. If you want to start doing good chunks of damage (or being able to actually take a hit) level up your equipment.
>>
only play in human form if you hate yourself or try to get to pure black world tendency
>>
The rules are set in stone right from the get-go
Your strongest weapon will be PATIENCE

Not from after dying, but in combat. Don't rush to kill your enemy, your priority is staying alive.

Now go, so the world might be mended.
>>
>>344397639
Yes, though if you play DS 2 play SoTFS edition
>>
Its not a difficult game. Unlike Dark Souls of today, in Demons Souls you can reach the end at level 40.

To tell if something is hostile, try locking on or off. It can be kind of a downer if you suddenly hit a friendly character.

When you reach a point in the story telling you to talk to the Monumental, these are the short legless guys on the top of the hub world. The one you want to talk to has candles lit beside him/her.
>>
File: Kingsfield1_cover[1].jpg (62 KB, 399x400) Image search: [Google]
Kingsfield1_cover[1].jpg
62 KB, 399x400
>>344397343
That isn't even the first King's Field game.
>>
>>344397442
You forgot magic is OP as fuck.
>>
After playing them all, Dark Souls has the most feels. Even though I started with Demon Souls.
It's just so sad.
>>
Shit bosses because Demon's Souls was an alpha for Dark Souls.
>>
>>344397704
>item burden

I liked item burden. Since arrows actually had weight, it stopped you from carrying 999 in order to cheese enemies.
>>
File: 1459101379856[2].png (30 KB, 246x200) Image search: [Google]
1459101379856[2].png
30 KB, 246x200
>>344406584

Maybe if you just never did it in the first place?
>>
>>
File: Damn.jpg (124 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Damn.jpg
124 KB, 1280x720
Pick royal build magic never have to to try until
the false king then you can stop trying again
>>
You're gonna find out after a day or two if these kinds of games are for you or not.

I gave DeS and DaS a fair shake, I just couldn't get into them. Was a damn shame though, they had some nice atmosphere that I was enjoying, just not enough to keep slogging through that gameplay for.
>>
Compared to some of the BB and DS2 DLC bosses and most of DS3 bosses it doesn't really compare, but it still has some good bosses and is overall worth playing.
>>
>>344397280
Expect Stockholm syndrome and disappointment for a glorified Monster Hunter clone. If you look past that, and the hype it has, you can have fun assuming you have the patience to get use to the game.
>>
>>344397280
U should expect a clunky ass game fucking broken slow and full of niggers. Go play some bloodborne son.
>>
>>344403195
Better yet, don't play DS2 at all.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.