[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so this is 40% off on greenmangaming with an additional 20% code
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1
File: header.jpg?t=1465836895.jpg (46 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg?t=1465836895.jpg
46 KB, 460x215
so this is 40% off on greenmangaming with an additional 20% code making it $28 USD

not shilling or anything, I just want to know is Doom worth that price? Is the game a good homage to the original or nah?
>>
>>344396157
Yeah, I paid full price and had no regrets at all. Fun game. Multiplayer sucks tho
>>
MP is shit
SP is top tier
>>
>>344396157
it's the most fun FPS we had in years. go get it.
>>
>>344396157
>clear the room to progress: the game

Don't buy it.
>>
>>344396157
Play the fucking demo.
It sure as hell didn't make me want to buy the game, console shooters are cancer.
>>
I don't get why people bash the multiplayer. Of course the demon rune is shit but otherwise it's pretty fun.
>>
>>344396157
>Is the game a good homage to the original or nah?

No but it's a good game, plays more like Painkiller than original Doom
>>
>>344396538
I thought the same about the demo.

>>344396157
Share the code, man
>>
>>344396157
It's fun.

Play on Ultra Violence or above.

Make sure you have a keen eye, lots of secrets to be made.

Don't get mad at some of the levels.

Remember, run and gun is the most viable tactic in this game due to the lack of hit scan.
>>
>>344396605

its on their front page. "July20"
>>
>>344396538
This may be a meme, but the game actually gets better when you get the Heavy Assault Rifle. From then on, the game is pretty great.
>>
>>344396659
duh, thanks
>>
>>344396519
>use all of the classic doom weapons at once against a huge army of demons in a giant battle arena that encourages superfast gameplay and lots of movement: the game

there is a reason doom is the most fun FPS we had in a long, long time. it's not your typical formulaic CoD gameplay.
>>
if you liked the old dooms, this is everything doom 3 should have been. You stop moving, you're a sitting duck. The best part about the game is how balanced it is with ammo/health pickups. Even the sound is dynamic, you just sense when you're about to be flooded with all kinds of demons.
>>
>>344396519

>I watched a youtuber/streamer play it and it looked repetitive

>>344396157

OP it's worth that price easily. Don't listen to people who haven't actually played the game. And the MP can be fun in short bursts. It's not great but you can find some enjoyment out of the demon forms. Also the customization for weapons/characters is quite extensive.

And then there's the custom map mode where you can play with your friends in co-op missions/make your own maps. The game also runs great. Never had a fps drop.
>>
>>344396538
you didn't read any of the reviews, did you?
the game was praised for actually NOT being another CoD-style console shooter.
>>
>>344396519
I don't understand the problems people have with the arenas, they were fun as fuck to me and there were still lots of enemies scattered inbetween them
>>
>>344396157
If it came with a devkit and dedicated servers it would be the greatest thing in over a decade.
>>
>>344397142
No I didn't read shit, I just played the demo and it turned out to be designed around a controller.
Slow as fuck, "press X to teleport to enemy and execute", slow movement, skill trees, 4 enemies on screen max etc.
>>
Multiplayer best
Singleplayer sucks donkey balls
>>
Arguably, the finest singleplayer FPS of this year. Multiplayer is not very good, singleplayer is fantastic, yadda yadda. Absolutely worth the 30 dollars.
Don't even bother trying that demo, it's the tutorial level and it's not a very good "demo". Shit hits the fan exactly the level later.
>>
>>344397361
yeah it starts out slow but gets a ot faster later on.

the game is actually like:
>>344397036
>>use all of the classic doom weapons at once against a huge army of demons in a giant battle arena that encourages superfast gameplay and lots of movement: the game

if you like FPS you need to play the new doom.
>>
>>344397227
>and there were still lots of enemies scattered inbetween them

That's simply not true, and that's the problem.
>>
>>344397614
Do you play doom for classic gameplay or immersion?
that's up to people's taste in games. It's not skyrim, or cod, it's a direct throwback to the first game. Find a key, kill all the enemies and repeat until the final boss fight. The cool thing is you could make your own custom map to edit the flow of combat as you see fit.
>>
>>344397518
>>344397558
With faggots like this don't even bother op
Why even ask here?
>>
>>344396157
oh god fuckit I just bought it for $60.
>>
>>344397361
>4 enemies on the screen max.

In the beginning, yeah, but once you find Revenants, it starts getting a lot more hetic.

The hell levels are fantastically frustrating because of this. Tight arenas with Barons, Mancubi, Hell Knights and Revenants are pretty hard in the best way possible.
>>
>>344396157
>Weapons have no weight to them and all feel like peashooters
>Muddy graphics
>Shitty progression system
>Short
>Terrible level design
>Shitty demon design other than the Summoner and Possesed

its a 7/10 and isn't much of a homage to the previous ones desu
>>
Pirate it and judge for yourself.
>>
>>344398382
>>Shitty demon design other than the Summoner and Possesed
>Not liking the Mancubus
>Not liking the Baron of Hell
>Not liking the Screaming jetpacking skeleton of death
>Not liking the Caco
>NOT LIKING THE CACO

Others I agree with.
>>
>>344396275
This man speaks the truth
>>
>>344396157
Is it a good homage to the original?

Somewhat. It feels like it's as much an homage to Serious Sam or Quake though; it's definitely shouting "HEY REMEMBER ARENA SHOOTERS?" in your face, even though Doom wasn't really much of a well-developed Arena shooter.

Some thoughts:
-It does encourage exploration and have secrets, which is nice.

-It's got a "mission" structure but the "missions" are still basically "find the Red Key(card)" shit

-Glory Kills are fun. The animations are fast, and randomized but with a hard-capped run time that's enemy specific, it's clear that balance-work went into them rather than just being "WOO HOO GUTS". I don't play a lot of (modern) shooters but they feel pretty much identical in function to Zandatsu QTEs in MGR; finishers that restore health if you execute them properly, meant to be used on the last enemy in a bunch since they lock you in.

Actually you can frame-exploit them too, they can be used to pass the ledge-climbing animation if you hit the capsule of an enemy standing on a ledge above you with them.

- Map design is smart. You can hop up most ledges, but doing so requires a quick vault animation that deprives you of control, so you absolutely don't want to do it in a fight. Arenas (the game is VERY much a series of arenas connected by other levelly-bits, even when the game doesn't go full DMC-lockdown and hold you in, which it sometimes does) are full of ledges like this so the skill game becomes navigating and jumping in such a way that you don't have to stop-and-vault, since it will get you killed.

- They use the "iron sights" button for alt fire modes, which is kinda cool but really most of them are just iron-sights-like anyway; they zoom your aim in, they tighten your spread, they have a wind-up and/or cooldown, whatever. The "shotgun fires 3 rapid, tight shots with a 3 second cooldown" one is pretty obviously the QUICKSCOPE HEADSHOT attack mode.
>>
>>344398627
Actually, Glory kills are based on what part of the body you are looking at.

For example, if I was looking at a possesed in the left leg, I will crack the leg and move on. Right leg and I sweep him off the ground. In the head and I will smash the head open etc.

This is useful if there is an animation you love doing.
>>
>>344398627
....so, that said, I like the game, a lot.

But, I also like Bayonetta more than any FPS I've ever played, so my opinion may not count for much depending on what you're after. I'm the jackass who saves ammo by getting into shotgun range and then just melee-chaining Imps because the melee attacks stun them and after 3 hits you've HP-whittled enough for a glory-kill, and I don't see anything ironic about the choice to stunlock an enemy in a 4-hit melee combo with a finisher in a game where most players would shotgun blast them in the face.

A lot of the shit like combat challenges that give you special powers and runes that unlock double jumps and stuff is right up my alley, it's like doing Alfheim portals for Magic meter extensions... I've heard people complain about that stuff though
>>
>>344398540
Caco is complete shit. AAAAAAAAAAA Skeleton still goes AAAAAAAAAA and has his old design still, so I'd suppose you have a point. Mancubus was significantly more intimidating in Doom 1/2 since his attacks actually hurt, and Baron/Knights looked better with the goat design.

Also the possessed other than the hole-face and the cyber mancubus are quake 4 tier.
>>
>>344398809
I did not know this.

I did notice that some GKs felt a bit too fast and it took me very little time to realize they were time-balanced first though.

Does it matter? Are there different effects based on which GK you do?
>>
>>344399101
Nope.

I reckon it only exists for the challenges. I noticed quite a few are "Do a specific Glroy kill on this many demons".
>>
>>344399053
>Since his attacks actually hurts.

I don't know, when it goes full flamethrower mode it hurts in a tight space.
>>
>>344396157
>I just want to know is Doom worth that price? Is the game a good homage to the original or nah?
No, and no.
>>
>>344398169
What's wrong with my >>344397558 post again?
>>
>>344399172
Shame. That feels like it's got potential.

Like if you rip their arm off and beat them over the head with it, there's extended hurtbox and the arm can hit other nearby enemies. Or leg-based GKs give more HP, which (since you're usually aiming torso-height) adds a small skill challenge to GK initiation.

I dunno, just something.

OTOH half the people playing D44M bitched so hard about GK's I'm pretty sure they can be menu-disabled so maybe it wasn't the right place to pour more development time. At least as it stands they aren't totally broken or something.
>>
>>344396538
>console shooter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anrvBD4aTGY
Doom is fast as fuck. If you turn on aim-assist and drop the difficulty to HMP that's your hangup.

Speaking as someone who's playing it with a Steam Controller, because it's how I play every game, I haven't yet played a game that made me git gud with the trackball/gyro combo as much as this. You get exactly 0s to "line up a shot".
>>
How are the difficulties handled?
Just more monsters the higher you go or are there any other factors?
I guess respawning enemies on highest difficulty is out because of the arena gameplay.
>>
>>344400381
They track their shots on higher diffculties.

They also start crowding around the staggering enemies so it's either risk a glory kill with demons around or kill the demon and not get as much health.

Speaking of that, you get less health from glroy kills. I think it is only 2 or 4 if you are not in a critical state.
>>
>>344400514
So you're not invincible when performing these glory kills, huh? That's good.
Sounds pretty decent, all in all.
>>
>>344400782
You are invincible when doing it, but as soon as you get out of it, you are going to get wailed on in higher difficulties.

There is a risk factor to it all.
>>
>>344400782
Nah, all canned animations leave you open to damage. GKs are okay since they stunlock the target as well (cheesing them while surrounded is a bad idea, you lose more HP than you gain). Same goes for the chainsaw (it's like a GK but it gives ammo back instead of HP), the vault/ledge climb anim, and the fall/landing anim (you don't take fall damage but it "stuns" you).

I like these balance decisions, since the canned animations feel right when you're just exploring, but in a fight you have to play totally differently (make your jumps the old-school way, go for quick kills at long range until you've got an enemy or two isolated, etc).
>>
I have no idea what people liked I found the demo seriously mediocre. It gave me no inclination to play more.

Its literally walk from arena to arena and mash glory kill button with mediocre gunplay and lots of climbing for some reason.
>>
>>344401423
The demo sucks because it is the first level.

When Hell Knights are introduced (3rd level), it gets quicker and the fifth level just cranks up the insanity.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.