[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you cashing in on the indie game bubble? Part
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: Bloodstained Boss.jpg (82 KB, 1200x678) Image search: [Google]
Bloodstained Boss.jpg
82 KB, 1200x678
Why aren't you cashing in on the indie game bubble? Part 2. Anyone still around? Post what you were posting before.

I suppose the mod didn't understand that we were talking about making video games.
>>
Dammit. :(
The last thread was so fun, too. We were rolling along nicely. Fug.
>>
did i miss a good thread? working on my game now
>>
>>344377332
Yeah, it was a thread trying to help people push through the mental blocks that prevent them from making games, while also discussing the games that people are actually working on.
Kind of a bummer that the mod killed it suddenly. I guess he just looked at the OP, and assumed it was a shitposting thread. When in reality, we were talking video games.

I guess we could try to rekindle the fire here. But I'm bummed out now to be honest.
>>
I'm so obsessed with the fine details of architecture or level design, I can't bring myself to make a game from one fixed position i.e. 2D Zelda, where all the doors are facing the camera/player and would be totally weird in real life
>>
>>344377725
Then make it the regular topdown style. At least that has consistent dimensions.
>>
>>344377959
I'm too stupid to think of an immediate example of that
>>
>>344378054
Chrono Trigger. Secret of Mana. Terranigma. Every classic JRPG.
>>
>>344378137
I would count those as the same thing as the fixed perspective a 2D Zelda game would have. i've just had a revelation though and may very well go on to do something Hotline Miami-esque with the perspective. There's a lot more room for the possibilities I want if I turn a room planning program into an actual game
>>
>>344379000
Nah, dude. Zelda's perspective is different than the traditional top down perspective. Stick around, I'll make an example for you
>>
File: 1466858946872.jpg (25 KB, 250x201) Image search: [Google]
1466858946872.jpg
25 KB, 250x201
How do I handle skills in a turn-based combat screen without burying them inside menus and sub-menus? Action bar is ugly, floating sort of thing that shows up when you hover/tap on target feels clunky, is there really no other way then the classic "invasive" skill panel?
My goal basically is to reduce amount of clicks in battle to make it feel faster.
I don't want to use modifyer keys because I might want to port later to mobile or something.
>>
File: Map-Example.gif (7 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Map-Example.gif
7 KB, 256x256
>>344379358
>>344379000
Alright, here's a quick example.(It's animated)
1. You start with the floor right? Completely flat.
2. You draw out the floor plan like it's a blue print. 100% flat, like a technical drawing of floor plans.
3. You measure the height of walls, and draw them in. This creates the ILLUSION of dimension. It appears that the walls have perspective. When in reality, the walls are following a strict FLAT floor plan.
4. You remove the front facing walls where necessary, in order for the player to see inside.

This is different from the way Zelda draws dimensions. Zelda's dimensions are all funky, because you can see all the walls. In this dimension, you can only see the front facing wall. Everything is perfectly lined up to a flat grid. It's consistent through and through. You only need to exercise some creativity in presenting the environment to the player. Because you don't have the advantage of seeing all 4 walls.
>>
>>344381036
thank you for the effort you put into that. it's put quite a few things into perspective
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.