[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What actually happened to this game? I played it back in 2010
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: Starcraft2-logo.jpg (74 KB, 1417x742) Image search: [Google]
Starcraft2-logo.jpg
74 KB, 1417x742
What actually happened to this game? I played it back in 2010 when it first came out, the hype for it was huge, and I liked it. But it got boring much faster than the original Starcraft. Stopped playing it and never bought the 2 expansion packs. And from what I've heard here, the game has really gone downhill over the years.

What went wrong?
>>
Mobas happened.
>>
>>344327307
the campaigns sucked but everyone is still playing the multiplayer. thought HOTS was best i think
>>
>>344327527
League was already big in 2010. But it has also gone way downhill
>>
>>344327826
I only played Wings of Liberty but I didn't think it was that bad, I liked the concept of exploring the Hyperion between missions.

I do remember the ending being horrible though, how did they salvage that shit?
>>
>>344327307
Nothing went wrong really.

Its an old game (no hype for being new, you HAVE to like what it is about) which is very demanding on mechanics, most people won't even get to come close to mastering the basics, let alone git gud.

The game its past its heyday (and honestly, it ever got that popular because of Blizzard's advertising and pushing of esports in an otherwise niche and dying genre) but its the best it has ever been. Game gets started a lot faster now (more workers), and there a lot of option for harassment, aggression and pushing back and for that don't come down to amassing your dream deathball before moving out.

Matchmaking still works fantastically and you can still find a game within seconds against a similarly skilled opponent, no problem.

So yeah, if anything went wrong was the lack of a big playerbase that can enjoy it. If you just give a shit about playing the game and enjoying it nothing went wrong, there is even still an esport scene even if it was not as big as before.

>>344327992
The last campaign (Protoss campaign) was surprisingly ok.... The epilogue that ends the story of the trilogy is vomitive. All story wise though. Gameplay wise I would say LoTV is the one I liked the most (Protoss is the race with most fun units, and campaign isn't really about macro or anything)
>>
>add units that spawn other units at no cost
>add a low cost stealth unit with splash damage

They turned their back on everything that made starcraft great just so they could appeal to the ADHD crowd
>>
>>344328321
>add units that spawn other units at no cost
Swarm hosts got nerfed so hard they are effectively gone from the game in LoTV.

>add a low cost stealth unit with splash damage

Widow mines are not too bad. Tricky to get around though
>>
>>344328563
It's not about them being good anymore, it's about blizzards inability to design a starcraft game to be a starcraft game. They saw that banelings were welcomed so they decided to open the cancer flood gates and it ruined the entire feeling of starcraft
>>
>>344328717
If anything, what was ruined from SC1 to SC2 was that it turned a game that was about a large amount of small skirmishes over the map for its control into a very static game were both players mostly amassed two big armies, danced around a bit, and then crashed them and saw who was the winner.

I think LoTV has kind of fixed that. You take and plow through bases a lot faster so there are a lot more small skirmishes going on all over the place.

I still don't see how banelings or widow mines are so horrible
>>
>>344329205
Banelings are fine, widow mines are an anti-micro unit, there is no reason for there to be stealth splash damage early game low cost units in starcraft, a game where micro is supposed to rule everything
>>
>>344327826
>everyone is still playing the multiplayer

Bait? Check out the SC2 general on /vg/. Then check out the generals for LoL and Dota. The amount of relevant content fairly reflects how alive the game is.
>>
>>344329436
The LoL/DoTA2/sc2 /vg/ threads are all cancer. Why would you even go there.

You can still easily find a game of Starcraft II and it is still played all the way up to the highest level, it is still gets patched frequently (ladder revamp coming next week).

I don't care how many teenagers, dudebros or russians are playing Dota2 or LoL. SC2 is well and alive for what I care.
>>
>>344329384

Macro always ruled in starcraft.
>>
>>344330443
What? Compared to most RTS macro was pretty straightforward in starcraft. Games like Warcraft 3 even trumped it in macro, but was a cake walk in terms of micro.
>>
>>344330593

>Games like Warcraft 3 even trumped it in macro, but was a cake walk in terms of micro.

Either shitpost or totally clueless.
>>
>>344330818
Bit ironic to call something a shitpost when your post has no value, don't you think? You don't even attempt to make a reasonable rebuttal.

Anyway I can see you ability to continue a reasonable discussion is at it's end so have a good one bub
>>
>>344330973
>game where you never build more than 20 units in the entire game
>macro focus
this is bait do not reply
>>
>>344327307
blizzard focused too much on the competitive side and changed the game to be a good spectator esport. every major update and expension (especially lotv) made the game harder and a lot faster.
over the years the game become good to watch but extremely frustrating to play. the high price, the changes, the lack of interesting updates, the broken game design in some cases killed the game slowly.
its a shame though
>>
>>344329793
youre right in that sense that you can still find games easily but the competitive scene already died, almost every personality retired or went to other games. but who cares, you just want to play, right? well, you can do that if you have been playing for a long time. as a newcomer, its a nightmare unless youre a turbonerd. even at the lowest fucking levels (gold) people usually have hundreds of games and years of experience. you have to sweat through a lot of disgusting cheesy shit. its not even that the game is that hard as some say, but the remaining playerbase is too good
>>
The artstyle, the story, the tone is completely different from Brood War. I only bought WoL too and was greaty disappointed. I wanted a sequel, not bad fanfiction.

Never really bothered to play it in multiplayers and since 2011 all my friends stopped too because of the constant reworks so I guess it wasnt as good as BW in that too.
>>
protoss ruined everything
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.