[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Open World Games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: open_world_by_jbrown67-d856btx.jpg (648 KB, 3000x2363) Image search: [Google]
open_world_by_jbrown67-d856btx.jpg
648 KB, 3000x2363
How do we fix the open world genre?
>>
>>344324762
start by enumerating what you think is wrong with it
>>
File: forbidden.jpg (129 KB, 549x999) Image search: [Google]
forbidden.jpg
129 KB, 549x999
>>344325064
Lets start:
>the lack of things to do
>the social justice story-rape
>feminist enforcement
>unoriginal story with homosexual characters
>black people are in a European like nation
>elves are always slaves, like black people
>forced relationships with homosexual characters

When they fix these issues, games will be good.
>>
Open world games are fine. They've been on a steady improvement.
>>
>>344324762
If it needs fast travel, you have done something wrong.
>>
>>344324762
Do what Xenoblade X did and combine it with the physics engine from BotW
>>
>>344325370

Stop playing western Tolkienesque fantasy games
>>
>>344324762
Better emergent gameplay and a lack of fast travel, you go places while things happen.
>>
By making good ones
List of good open world games

Gothic 2
Witcher 3
Dying Light
San Andreas
Red Dead Redemption
New Vegas
>>
It was so fucking obvious and no one knew for years until finally Nintendo fucking figured it out.

After countless days of empty bland worlds finally, a fucking reason to explore them.

Shield boarding
>>
One thing I'd like to see in more open world games is a survival aspect.

Like hunger and warmth. I want to see more open world games where night time is SERIOUS BUSINESS, and you have to make camp and find shelter. Of course there is the issue where this becomes tedious.

I'd like to see players able to make campfires, create torches, food and water are actual necessities, etc.
>>
>>344325370
That's some fag shit, bro. I like traps, but that's definitely some fag ass shit.
>>
>>344325370
>Only play Bioware and Bethesda rpgs
>Surprised when the same problems keep turning up
>>
>>344324762

Make the open world fun to move around in. If your players would rather use fast travel than go from point A to point B by themselves you've done something wrong. Just Cause 3 was fairly solid for this, so was Infamous 2 after the Ice Jump power.

Make it so that your players have plenty to do, and make that stuff non-repetitive. Collectathons rope in the autistic completionist, but aren't very fun, just padding.

Make the story interesting, but non-essential. You should be allowed to go anywhere from the beginning (assuming skilled enough to handle enemies etc in those areas) but will want to complete the story because it isn't fucking stupid.

Fill the map with interesting shit. It doesn't always have to be a sidequest, it could just be an interesting landmark that makes a player want to explore it. But there should be stuff to see and explore throughout.

If you cannot make a game that fills all of these criteria, then make a linear game. Your game being open world does not benefit it.
>>
>>344324762
>Random events at random places. These would scale to your level. What's the point of an open world if nothing is actually happening in it?
>Actual RPG mechanics. Multiple factions. Involvement with factions changes your relationship with other factions. Let's say you have a main faction that's friendly with another faction. Killing members of said other faction should lower your standing with your main faction.
>Let people who actually explore gain something from it. Can't tell how many times I explored in open world games to find nothing value and that shit discourages exploration.

I seriously don't understand how devs fail so hard when it comes to open world games. I mean, there's so much stuff you can do yet most of them just do a linear fucking story like FO4. It's a lack of creativity and just pure laziness on their part.
>>
>>344325370
>all this fedora-tipping sjw boogeyman in one post

wew lad
>>
>>344324762
Zelda done did it nigga.
>>
>>344324762
Create a new world with its own lore, multiple endings that have meaning, and don't give the person you play as any backstory.
>>
By getting rid of SJWs forcing their agenda on games.
>>
make every npc actually conversations. instead of o hi, make hi i heard you did this.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.