[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will Half-Life 3 have unpresedented LOD? Source 2 seems geared
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2
File: Half-Life_2_cover.jpg (67 KB, 300x428) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life_2_cover.jpg
67 KB, 300x428
Will Half-Life 3 have unpresedented LOD? Source 2 seems geared towards having a shitload of polygons on screen. At least that is one of the features they showed in the Steam VR benchmark.

Half Life 1 had scripted events.
Half Life 2 had proper physics.
What should Half Life 3 innovate on?
>>
Existence
>>
existing
>>
>>344318497
Polygons are dirt cheap for modern GPUs
Shader complexity and texture memory are the current bottlenecks.
>>
HL3 is going to change the way you think about linear FPS
>>
>>344318497
half life 3 should just be the Borealis they talked about and some sorta conclusion to the dead series, maybe explaining the Portal Storms going into alien universes like in Half Life 1.
But ofc i´ll die 50 years before it comes out
>>
Probably VR once it becomes not shit. If VR never becomes not shit then it's going to be an even longer time before HL3 comes out.
>>
Crysis 2 DX11 had too many polygons in its concrete barriers, MOAR POLYGONS a shit.

Real time ray based deformation and penetration would be cool.

Like shooting a proper round hole in shit
>>
Were the Half-Life games really that amazing, or is the whole HL3 hype thing just a Valvedrone meme?

It always seemed to me people play Half Life engine mods far more than they play the actual games.
>>
>>344318880
>Polygons are dirt cheap for modern GPUs

You can have a fuckload of them but not so many that working out your poly budget is a non-issue or that increasing the count will result in negligible improvements.

Polycount is still THE bottleneck.
>>
>>344319304
I played the HL2 not including the expansions and it was pretty fun, pretty predictable but felt like a movie. The physics were really good too. But I don't understand why people make it out to be a godly game, prob cause it was made by valve.
>>
>>344319304
did you not play Half lfie? you fucking worthless pile of shit
>>
>>344319304
half-life 1 owns
half-life 2 is really average but it's the best thing ever if you're playing SMOD.
>>
>>344319701
No, that's why I'm asking :^)
>>
>>344319690
It has the Star Wars Episode I effect where you walk out of the theater and you and your bros look at each other and say "well that was pretty amazing, right? yeah? yeah!" But with Half-Life 2 it's been going on for way too long. Fast forward today, Valve is making nothing but F2P skin games, making failed hardware, gambling machines, getting sued for said gambling systems, making you do ridiculous shit for proper matchmaking, not even trying in Steam sales anymore, Valve doesn't warrant the praise anymore so people feel more confident in expressing "Half-Life 2 wasn't that great."
>>
>>344319304

The first Half Life was genuinely a really good game.

The Half Life 2 stuff is mostly bullshit. It's a fine game but nowhere near deserving of the praise it receives and I love how everyone has forgotten how completely full of shit Valve were when they were marketing Half Life 2. Most of the stuff they promised was not delivered.

HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED! is just a meme mostly perpetrated by people who had never played a Half Life game before 2009 because BASED GABEN!
>>
>>344320362
to understand episode 1 you must first understand the Tao
>>
>>344320362
it's not even close to as bad as star wars episode 1 but yea I understand what you're saying.
the gunplay is probably the worst thing. The movement is gimped too. The physics are satisfying though. combine ball gun is one of the best things ever.
>>
Yeah, I only played part of Half Life 2; if Half Life 1 is really that amazing I'll try it out at some point
>>
>>344318497
>What should Half Life 3 innovate on?
Are you implying there is a single thing hl2 innovated on ?
>>
>>344320513
yea I understand episode 1. george lucas is a pussy and didn't actually do the story he wanted to do and had to remove all the actual plot to make it for kids.
>>
>>344320873
>implying waiting 20 minutes in a "walk around and do nothing" unskippable cutscene wasn't innovative
>>
>>344320873

There's seems to be a lot of people under the impression that Half Life 2 invented physics.

The funny thing is there is something that HL2 genuinely did innovate on and did it really well but nobody seems to care; facial animations.
>>
File: main_0.jpg (37 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
main_0.jpg
37 KB, 854x480
>>344318497
>What should Half Life 3 innovate on

I can confirm it will have a full destructible environment,
>>
>>344319304
Half Life was good back when linear story driven shooters weren't a done to death concept. All of Half Life 2: Ep1 and 2 felt like lead up to something huge and impressive, but at this point the excitement is gone since HL3 currently holds NEVER EVER status. Imagine HL1 as an amazing handjob, then HL2 as good sex, the expansions as your partner getting off your dick and saying "now watch what I'm about to do", but the whole delayed to oblivion status of HL3 as her rolling out of bed and making a sandwich for herself then complaining about headaches whenever you bring it up. Whole series is kinda ruined by the fact that it's just a slowly aging incomplete product that we know is never gonna get capped off, so the whole story just feels like a pile of edgy plot twists and bullshit with no hope for explanation or resolution. Back when there was for for a sequel and the story had a chance to come together and make sense? Fucking amazing. But playing it now you won't get the same effect since the whole story is clearly a heap of garbage in it's current state.
>>
>>344321193
Half-Life 2 was probably the first one to use their material physics system where every type of material has its own weight, friction, and buoyancy defined in the engine. It's on the back of the box.
>>
>>344321193
Man I never realized this even after playing HL2. When I finished it every other game I played felt weird as hell and oddly gutless, and I only noticed that it was facial animations that I was missing when I replayed Half Life 2.
>>
>>344321359
>sex metaphor
aaaaaaaaand tl;dr
>>
>>344321193
>There's seems to be a lot of people under the impression that Half Life 2 invented physics.
people forget hl2 just used a third party havoc physic engine that was already in use i many games for 4 years
>The funny thing is there is something that HL2 genuinely did innovate on and did it really well but nobody seems to care; facial animations.
even facial bone animation wasnt anything special, but hl2 did use a lot of them by te time it came out
>>
>>344321582

Well if it's on the back of the box then it has to be true.

The physics is just the Havok middleware. They weren't even close to the first to use it and they certainly don't deserve praise for buying an off the shelf product and making some minor modifications to get it to work with multiplayer.
>>
>>344321582
>Half-Life 2 was probably the first one to use their material physics system where every type of material has its own weight, friction, and buoyancy defined in the engine. It's on the back of the box.
nope, havoc, te engine they used to get physics working was in use for few years by then
>>
>>344322034
>even facial bone animation wasnt anything special, but hl2 did use a lot of them by te time it came out

It's not that. Source uses are rather sophisticated procedural system for the animations rather than just mo-cap or predefined animations. At the time it was really impressive. It still is today to some extent.
>>
>>344319304
>Were the Half-Life games really that amazing
how is it possible to not know?
>>
>>344322536
you mean facial rigs?

tere is nothing procedural about that
>>
>>344322060
>>344322259
But I wasn't saying they invented ragdoll and objects that fall and kick around. Max Payne 2 for example doesn't have individually defined gravity, friction, and buoyancy for each material in the world despite using Havok. It's not a lie either as much as you think it's just marketing on the box, all the materials are right in the editor. I don't think this is good innovation at all but I don't see other games doing it.
>>
>>344319547
>increasing the count will result in negligible improvements
But that is done all the time. When in doubt if a certain model will be round enough, add polys. Of course you can't go batshit crazy on the polycount, but with instancing and LODs you can handle around 10 million polys on screen easily.
>>
get over it already OP, valve is not interested in game development, much less in making single player games
>>
>>344321193
half-life 2 was the first one to really use physics for combat.
but yea, I know physics was in games before then.
>>
>>344322638
This board is getting filled to the brim with kids who grew up on half-baked console shooters. They were too young to play these games ten years ago.

Not saying that HL2 and the Episodes were some unflawed masterpieces, but they are definetly extremely enjoyable experiences. I don't think it is possible to understand video games fully (especially the FPS genre) if one hasn't played them.
>>
>>344322882

You are completely off the mark.

Their facial animation system doesn't use bones, it's direct mesh manipulation.

Remember how Rockstar was putting themselves on the back for the LA Noire facial animation tech? What they did is basically a mo-capped version of what Valve had already done 7 years earlier.
>>
>>344319304
They were pretty good. There's two things driving people to care about HL3:

>they announced instead of making a full Half-Life 3, they would release it in episodes, and then released the first two of three of those in a fairly timely manner
>episode 2 ended in a cliffhanger, never to be followed-up on
>>
is the source version of HL1 better than the original? I only have played the original game
>>
>>344323934
yes, only because of improved console.
but it doesn't really add anything to the actual game. it might be a really really slightly worse experience if you're just playing it because some shit looks retarded and out of place.
but yea, it's really good for console jokes. you can create monster wars. I used to do this as a kid all the time and I was really happy with the precache feature of the new source engine.
>>
>>344323934
No, it's much more unstable. And quite frankly having enemies drop like a limp noodle isn't as neat as them having animations and being able to get crowbar'd into gibs.
>>
>>344319304
In 1998 and 2004, absolutely. Nothing like them had been seen before during their respective releases. In 2016, pretty fucking average.
>>
>>344319304
in a post-halo world, half life 1 and 2 arent even worth playing
>>
>>344323495
>I don't think it is possible to understand video games fully (especially the FPS genre) if one hasn't played them.
I totally agree
they epitomize the genre in terms of creating a linear adventure experience. Almost nothing has been able to replicate them either
>>
>>344324605
You're pretty good.
>>
>>344323648
you mean blend shapes?
since i seriously doubt they just do per vertex displacemnt

maybe first research the topic yourself
>>
>>344325336
>Flex animation (also called vertex and shape key animation) is the direct manipulation of vertices without the involvement of a skeleton. It is generally used to create facial expressions and lip synch, but can be applied anywhere on the model; Left 4 Dead 2's infected can have their entire head shape changed through flexes
>>
>>344319304
If it had more variety in enemies and the weapons were just a bit more powerful the series would be perfect.
>>
>>344326057
sooo, blend shapes
nether new or procedural
and usually used to supplement bone facial rigs
>>
>>344318497
VR. Shocking, I know.
>>

Why does it have to innovate on anything?
Why can't we just have a good game?
>>
>>344319304
neo-/v/ hates HL2 now and cicrlejerks mediocre corridor shooters like FEAR

HL2 was great for its time and still plays great
>>
>>344327083

Seriously, just look up what it is the Source engine does rather than guessing because you keep getting it wrong.
>>
>>344327249
>making a big budget game revolving around $800 peripherals
that would work so well
>>
>>344327792
i dont care if its shits rainbows

even if it uses blend shapes for facial animation my previous point stands
>>
So is Gordon a mute?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.