[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is GMDX worth it? I want to do a stealth/nonlethal playthrough
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: deus_ex.jpg (85 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
deus_ex.jpg
85 KB, 953x953
is GMDX worth it? I want to do a stealth/nonlethal playthrough and I read that they've added a stealth skill, and many changes, is it balanced?
>>
File: Deus Ex here I go.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Deus Ex here I go.webm
1 MB, 640x360
>>344302781
Did the modders also alter the amount of skill points you get? because it sounds reasonable, given there are more skills, and for a stealth run you'd need to spend points on a new skill they made
>>
What does GMDX do? Is it just prepackaged deus exe+renderers+hdtp+new vision?
>>
>>344303697
from what I have read, tons of fucking changes, they added a new skill stealth, turned swimming into an athletics skill that also improves running and other stuff, AI changes so enemies can notice bodies, added different footstep sounds among many others, enemies react to sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P6mHqX1fYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKHPtfammNY
>>
I just finished a GMDX playthrough and it's pretty great.They rebalance a lot of things; for instance run silent isn't useless

>>344303697
It's got all the graffix mods too
>>
which one of HDTP and New Vision is recommended for a first playthrough?

>no mods in first playthrough omg! >:(
leave, graphic mods in the same style as the vanilla game is okay
>>
File: 48540.jpg (53 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
48540.jpg
53 KB, 620x465
>>344305254
I think HDTP looks quite bad, it's subjective I guess.

New Vision is an improvement over the original on all fronts, use whatever is the latest version.
>>
>>344305254
They're just graphic mods and none of them alter the game play, so you can do both and still get a vanilla gameplay experience.

Gameplay mods like shifter and biomod, and full mods like GMDX and New Vision do alter the game play. These are best for subsequent playthroughs.
>>
>>344305827
isn't new vision just updated textures?
>>
>>344306319
Yes, but that's environmental textures: wall patterns, signs, newspapers.

HDTP is for items, weapons, and models.
>>
>>344305827
>New Vision do alter the game play
literally what
>>
>>344308754
I meant REvision.

Shifter, Biomod, GMDX, and Revision (which actually contains Shifter and Biomod as options) alter the gameplay.

Revision also adds a bunch of useless walls and items to the maps.

NEW Vision just contains higher res'd walls, signs, and newspapers. No gameplay changes.
>>
>>344309385
>>344305827
>>344305608
guy playing it for the first time here
guess I'll go for New Vision, think I'll drop HDTP. maybe GMDX for a later playthrough
holy shit I'm looking forward to this game
>>
File: Jay See.jpg (137 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Jay See.jpg
137 KB, 1440x1080
>>344310126
The original isn't that bad, the AI sucks but being able to play in different ways adds replayability, going lethal alters dialog and stuff, trying different ways to tackle enemies and missions. Even with the problems vanilla Deus Ex hasn't been matched sadly. I hated how stealth in Human Revolution forces you to go 3rd person, since crouching near chest high walls in 1st person didn't seem to do shit, no melee weapons and takedowns. Sneaking and knocking enemies out and aiming at them just is better than press Q to watch adam knock/kill anyone out
>>
>>344302270
Yes it's pretty great. A lot of features like mantling are optional.
>>
>>344302270
Is it normal that game crashes with d3d render? I only can run it with opengl.
>>
>>344311883
what exactly is mantling? I thought from the video that is like climbing ledges?
>>
>>344302270
Along with Shifter, GMDX is THE shit. The maker regularly posts on systemshock.org, so you know he cares about quality.
>>
>>344311492
>Sneaking and knocking enemies out and aiming at them just is better than press Q to watch adam knock/kill anyone out

Yeah that stuff really sucks. I was playing Last of Us and I got so sloppy with the crabwalking because I knew that if they run up to me it just triggers an animation and I can just mash the button to make them die. Meanwhile in something like Thief, if I get spotted I end up in a clumsy fight that I have to get out of
>>
>>344312976
Fuck, with open gl game is too fast and unplayable.
>>
>>344302270

I beat this game 1 month ago without using any mods and it's one of the greatest game experiences of my life.

Don't know how much mods make it better, I usually don't touch *essential* mods because that shit for Stalker was always so confusing to install and I just never bothered.
>>
>>344302270
I'm not a huge fan of DXHR. It forces stealth by giving random enemies instagib weapons. The baton buff makes the prod completely useless.There's a bunch of other weapon balance changes I don't agree with, like nerfing the stealth pistol to the ground, apparently just because the modder doesn't like it.

Then again the shotguns don't feel like they fire bird shot anymore, and work more like real video game shotguns.

It feels like a kind of new game+++ mod, with some enemy changes apparently just there to mess with you. I haven't played vanilla DX to death yet.
>>
>>344317168
from >>344304080
seems like a lot of improvements, AI stamina system and more
>>
File: 1380213614573.jpg (29 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
1380213614573.jpg
29 KB, 180x200
>>344318783
That's the thing, sometimes when people try to balance it can get shitty fast. Like when online servers of a game try banning a certain weapon because it is considered overpowered, people will think sure, but why only X and not Y and Z as well? it kinda opens a can of worms
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.