[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yes or no?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (159 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159 KB, 1920x1080
The Alduin fight was one of the most unsatisfying bossfights in the history of video games.
>>
Yes? Why would anyone say no? It's just another shitty wyvern fight but you get another damage shout.
>>
Skyrim just didn't have a good combat system, that's one of the main things I hope they fix in ES6
>>
Here's a more accurate statement:
Skyrim had one of the most unsatisfying gameplay in the history of video games.
>>
>>344274628
If that's your main concern you seriously need to stop playing Elder Scrolls games.
>>
>>344274487

I dunno, it was a pretty surreal experience for me

>teleport to some fantasy rainbow valhalla
>blah blah blah people I've never met start talking like they know me
>let's go kill alduin
>ok
>everybody runs out
>where the fuck are we going?
>follow along
>come to an open area
>alduin out of fucking nowhere
>everybody turns around and starts running
>where the fuck are you going NOW?
>follow them
>watch in dismay as they all run off a cliff and disappear
>I'm left fighting the fucking dragon by myself
>chomp
>it eats me in one bite from full health
>okay what the fuck
>reload
>look around
>all my ghost friends are still gone
>chomp
>exit game
>>
>>344274690

Yep

>make a world that seems immersive
>fill it with boring people and boring quests
>>
>>344274690
It's certainly up there.

Combat didn't have any weight or impact behind it, making it feel like you're just flailing a stick back and forth until somebody dies.

Magic has less variety and versatility, with no ability to improve spells.

Crafting makes everything pointless because...

Most item are randomized loot based on level. There's no sense in exploration when you have an idea of what to expect to find in a dungeon. You'll also get punished by doing certain quests by getting weaker rewards at lower levels.

Enemy variety is lacking. Bandits, draugr and falmer may as well be the same enemy at this point, given the very few differences.

Randomized quests which lead to go to X and find/kill Y. It's also sad when most non-randomized quests also rely on a similar structure.
>>
>>344274875
I also enjoy how all inhabitants of Skyrim are unable to display emotion and only occasionally switch between a blank stare and a frown.
>>
that's because it's in a shitty game, it's runescape in fps, of course it's shit
>>
>>344274487
Only Japanese people care about gameplay.
>>
>>344274487
Seeing how up to that moment the entire storyline itself is unsatisfying as fuck, I don't think the boss fight is to blame.

Alduin was just an incredibly shitty villain, absolutely nothing about him after the first fight was scary or intimidating, just an old fart waiting for the hero to find the deus ex machina and then dying to it. Bravo Bethesda.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (51 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
51 KB, 1280x720
>>344274487
>one of the most unsatisfying bossfights in the history of video games
moshi moshi
>>
>>344274487
To be fair Morrowind and Skyrim were just as bad

Daggerfall at least had a bitching final dungeon and didn't even try to have a boss
>>
>>344274690
came here to post this
thank you based anon
>>
Any germans here with opinions on Enderal?

Did it fix everything?
>>
Ah yes, I remember. Actually I completely erased the "plot" of Skyrim from my mind because it was so irrelevant.
Wasn't there also a second fight with him? And some ghost vikings? Can't really remember.
>>
I had so many mods piled on top of each other that he was literally impossible to beat.
>>
>>344274487
it would been more satisfying, if you were not fighting dragons every 15 mins.
>>
>>344274487
I loved Witcher 3 but Eredin was a joke, as a boss and as a character. Devs kinda forgot that game called Wild Hunt should mention this thing more than fucking 3 times during 100+hours of gameplay.
My only beef with this game btw.
>>
>>344274487
funny story. when I reached him and started the fight, I killed him in under a minute. when it was all done, I was surprised because I didn't realize he was the last fight. this was on the hardest difficulty at the time.

I don't know why skyrim didn't ship with legendary difficulty from the beginning.
>>
>>344274487
I 1-shotted him with Mehrunes Razor
>>
watch the ending of fable 2
>>
>>344278032
Yeah, Eredin was kinda crappy. Imlerith was more exciting and also harder.
Right now I am on my playthrough where I will face Imlerith with Ciri. I am already dreading it, though it will probably not be as bullshit as fighting the hags.
>>
>mods to "fix" the combat
>mods to fix the skills/stats
>mods to fix the graphics
>mods to fix the scaling, loot and enemy variety
>no FUCKING MOD TO FIX THE SAMEY FETCH QUESTS IN EVERY GOD DAMNED FACTION
>>
>>344278309
>Imlerith
In my playthrough thx to kinda suicidal character build (all red) it was very tough and also damn satisfying fight, he killed me few times, had to hange strategy, I started to last longer but still was dying like a bitch after he got mad and was charging at me and finally driven by anger i killed this bastard without a scratch in under 10 seconds, he didnt even dropped his shield.
Satisfying as fuck
>>
>>344274582
>wyvern

ugh...
>>
>>344274487
Skyrim was one of the most unsatisfying games in the history of video games.
>>
Legit question here, not being hyperbolic or trolling;

Is Skyrim the worst game ever made?

I actually think it might be.
>>
File: Shub05b.jpg (350 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Shub05b.jpg
350 KB, 1280x960
>>344274487
It was slightly below average but i wouldn't call it unsatisfying.

Pic related is most unsatisfying.
>>
>>344274582
You mean Dragon?
>>
>>344274487
I found the crystal fight at the end of Fable 2 worse. At least with Alduin you go to fight beside some nord bros.
>>
>>344278252
This.
Fable 2 was an abysmal game.
>>
>>344274690
I've said it before and I'll say it again-

Morrowind has a better combat system than Skyrim.

Morrowind is mostly just passive dice rolling. Your efficiency is tied to your stats and it's mostly just a question of using the most efficient skills. Skyrim's combat is real time horseshit that has one foot in a really shitty action game, and the other in a really shallow RPG, and left is some Frankenstein's abomination of the two.
>>
>>344274487
Yes. This is supposed to be a threat that if left to it's own devices is going to devour the entire fucking world. Then you just casually fuck it up until he runs into the afterlife and you fuck it up again.
>>
>>344278960
>skyrim
>worst
>not trolling

pick none, and then kill yourself.
>>
File: 5y4h5.jpg (203 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
5y4h5.jpg
203 KB, 1920x1080
This is the real deal
>>
>>344275974
to be fair all Dead Space bosses were shit so it didn't feel that unsatisfying
>>
>>344277770
How do you fuck up that badly? What could you possibly have had?
>>
>>344279753
you dont have to do anything the second fight except shout. companions are a dumb idea and they are immortal

"hey lets have the last boss fight have a few companion types to help the player kill the boss"~tods faggot ass
>>
>>344278960
You are trying way too hard to fit in.
>>
>>344279957
cranked up "Deadly Dragons" followed by some realistic fight modes should be enough to make him like he should be - virtually unstoppable
>>
File: me2_stupid.jpg (47 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
me2_stupid.jpg
47 KB, 600x375
>>344274487
Nope.
>>
>>344274628
>good combat system
everyone says this but never says what actually represents "good" combat. if you want to turn TES into the Witcher or Dark Souls just go play those games.
>>
The Hand of Sauron from Shadow of Mordor called, he wants his title as Worst Boss Ever back.
>>
WORLD EATER BEATER BITCH
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53350/?
>>
>>344280076
>Deadly Dragons
RIP your save file.
>>
>>344277313
Tried to download it but it keeps crashing
>>
>>344280076
>Deadly Dragons
You do realize that this mess is complety outdated and will 100% complety destroy your save files right?
>>
Vanilla: Morrowind > Oblivion > Daggerfall > Skyrim
Modded: Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion

Bethesda should take half of the money they made off Skyrim and distribute it among the modders.
>>
>>344280162
>everyone says this but never says what actually represents "good" combat.

Dark Messiah
>>
>>344280191
This looks great, thanks famo.

>>344280164
Don't forget the last boss of Dying Light.
>>
>>344280478
That game had some pretty great combat.
Too bad it tried to emphasize everything else except the combat, when the combat was the only good feature it had.
>>
>>344280206
It was actually working for me
After 2 reinstals
>>
>>344280397
>Modded: Morrowind > Skyrim
Morrowindfags are this delusional.
>>
>>344280684
Yeah, it's """"working"""" on bloating your save up to the point where it takes forever to load and frequently crashes.
>>
>>344274487
Dagoth Ur was much worse. Alduin was just a shit fight. Dagoth Ur was like a giant fuck you.
>>
>>344279913
the immortal miniboss was cool tho
>>
>Skyrim hate meme

oh hey it's one of these threads
>le toddler xD
>>
>>344280696
MW still has the better RPG mechanics, story, lore, quests, guilds/factions, and world. No mod can make Skyrim comparable in that regard.
>>
3>5>2>4>1

I don't know why people are sucking off Oblivion all the sudden. That was a shit TES title.
>>
>>344281330
Best quests, comfy world, and good dungeons.
>>
>>344281221
It doesn't have SexLab, it loses by default.
>>
My first play-through was tougher because I stayed on the main story-line for a while and was under-leveled for him. Second time was rape.
>>
>>344281330
When TESVI comes out /v/ will remember Skyrim as great, Oblivion as the best shit ever and Morrowind will be literally who tier. It's a vicious cycle.
>>
>>344274487
In my case the first one was pretty enjoyable and challenging...

but thats because the game glitched and made him invincible and took me like 3 minutes of fight to notice that it wasnt that he had a lot hp that i didnt noticed the damage, I just wasnt doing any damage at all.

>tfw in the last fight he dies with like 3 hits
I was kind of depressed when i finished the game
>>
>>344279490
wow, whatever graphics mod that is, it is awful
>>
>>344281169
Fuck off toddler.
>>
>>344281107
Thats the fact it's immortal and you're told to run with shit in your way. Pressure makes helps make a fight I guess?

I wouldnt say I was disappointed with the bosses in DS1. They were nothing special to begin with so my expectations were never high
>>
File: Todd is my shield.jpg (370 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Todd is my shield.jpg
370 KB, 1920x1080
>>344281927
>>
Yes, they should have done the same thing they did in Oblivion and have someone else fight him while you watch instead. That would have been more fun.
>>
>>344281610
>>344281330
I think for me and a few others Oblivion only seems better now in context of the series, it was probably Bethesda's last game that you could class as an RPG and not a FPS with RPG elements or action game.

Basically, Skyrim makes Oblivion look good just as Fallout 4 makes 3 look good.

Both games are shit, but the newer ones are outright insulting rather than dull or mediocre
>>
>>344278960
no, it's mediocre, 5/10. there are worse games.

you could make a case for it being the most overrated game ever, but it has stiff competition.
>>
>>344280191
If you need a mod to make the endgame bossfight interesting then you know there's something wrong
>>
>>344282273
>you could make a case for it being the most overrated game ever
No, because Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Kane exists
>>
>>344282356
Still better than a game with a shitty endgame bossfight and no mods to fix it.
>>
>>344274487
>>344274758
This kinda
The atmosphere of the ending was amazing
Walking around Sovngarde meeting all my dead friends, chilling in the great hall, that was great.

But then you fought the dragon and it was literally mash left click to win. The only exciting part about this fight was when you and all the heroes of the past shouted the mist away and cleared the really scary looking firestorm that didn't really do anything together.
>>
>>344282273
I agree with this

and to add something the massively overrated aspect of it is what makes it so hugely unpopular on this board. Because is a game that is mediocre but is hailed as an example for other open world games to follow.

It's development interviews as well were representative of industry-wide decay in breaking things down to be as basic and mass marketed as possible and i remember we'd have half-hourly shiposting threads for Skyrim before it had even released.

Not to mention that Morrowind was such a beloved game that is almost universally liked by those that played it at the time
>>
>>344277313
Game crashes sometimes for me. just use quicksave and youre fine tho. never lost more than 10 minutes.
World looks very nice. has a ton of different biomes, not just snow everywhere.
Combat is pretty much the same. so no blocking with 2 weapons. but you can get special perks like a puddle of oil, firearrows, teleport behind enemy, invisibility, etc.
The voice acting is pretty gud, but only german so far.
Story is okay i guess, so far i enjoy it. reminds me a bit of mass effect, i just hope it wont be as retarded in the end.
And they even got me to care about the characters you meet. they have alot of background, their own stories and more depth than most of the characters in skyrim. And they are involved in the main story.
Its a great mod, but it still has some gamebreaking bugs (again: save alot and youre fine), so if you cant live with these, wait till they fix it (and the english translation is done). They push out patches every few days so far.
>>
>>344282364
I agree that OoT is overrated but it's a good game nonetheless whereas Skyrim is just bland across the board.
>>
>>344282690
Citizen Kane is a good movie. Doesn't stop it from being the most overrated piece of shit in the medium.
>>
Is there a single open world game with a good final boss?

Just finished The Witcher 3 and Eredin was fucking terrible
>>
>>344282810
Yes but what i'm saying is using a blanket statement as overrated is pretty abstract, LoZ being good makes it less overrated than Skyrim which is mediocre as well as overrated.

Not trying to defend LoZ the last one i played was WW on the GC on release

If you assume that overrated has any kind of fixed value wouldn't it make sense that the lesser a quality of a game it would be more overrated if it was popular
>>
Skyrim is a metaphor for my life, no matter what I change or the improvements I make or how many sex mods I have, it still feels hollow and pointless
>>
>>344280478
>Dark Messiah
>Good combat

This meme absolutely has to stop. It was some of the most chunky, lacklustre combat I've ever experienced in my life. It's only achievement is some portions of the game having a variety of environmental hazards but more often than not it's just a shitty spike wall. You just spam kick until stupid enemies hit the spikes, or the fire, or the cliff, and that's it.

*For its time* it might have been innovative. But even Skyrim is better.
>>
>>344280107
Holy this. This.

The entire game builds up to this super secret weapon of mass destruction that the collectors are making, and all it does is play peekaboo with you while you whittle down it's health.
>>
>>344282981
I think the problem with Open World games with bosses is that they usually have to fit in with the rest of the game mechanics and world, if you have a linear game you can design a fight with specific mechanics in mind, e.g you know what the player has in their arsenal or what powers or skills they've got and design a fight accordingly.

Open world games focus more on world-building and freedom in approach to fights so they're more generic as a result, most open world bosses usually just have a few environmental hazards dotted about that the player can use since they cant tell what the player might have exactly
>>
Any answer other than Zhaitan in GW2 is wrong.
>>
>>344283213
People sperg over Skyrim as a really great game, when it's really just mediocre, and fairly fun with a bunch of mods.
Meanwhile people sperg over OoT as literally the greatest game that will ever be created. I've seen it unironically called the Mona Lisa of video games.
>>
File: dungeondesigns.jpg (164 KB, 875x2423) Image search: [Google]
dungeondesigns.jpg
164 KB, 875x2423
>>
>>344278960
No, its only painfully average and safe.
>>
>>344283565
epic meme bro
>>
>>344274487
Of course. It was such an anti-climax.
>>
File: 1463825690908.gif (2 MB, 250x215) Image search: [Google]
1463825690908.gif
2 MB, 250x215
For unsatisfying boss fights: Space marine.

QTE falling through the sky.

>>344279864

Damn straight it was

Also

>Get to fight chaos marines for the last 15% of the game.
>85% of the game is vs orks
>>
>>344274487

Mankar Camoran and Dagon were worse as you could stealth kill Camoran during his speech and Mehrunes Dagon was cinematic.

At least Alduin was a fight with a decent setup.
>>
>>344283504
It didn't even feel like you were fighting him, pretty sure it's just cannons or whatever whilst trash mobs attack you.

The last boss of Fable 2 was the final straw in that game responsible for me selling my xbawks and never buying another microsoft console or funded game again.

To be honest it doesn't look like i missed anything in that time.
>>
>>344283565
Dumb cherrypick poster
>>
>>344283724
It sucked because the series of events leading up to Zhaitan were pretty fun, then it was just defend this NPC while the same trash mobs you've been fighting in the final story quests attacked you long enough to man a cannon and fire at him as he lazily hung on the side of a building.
>>
File: 1412681188872.jpg (22 KB, 358x334) Image search: [Google]
1412681188872.jpg
22 KB, 358x334
>>344283504

This. So many years later I am still mad. How could they have the nerve to use that piece of shit as the final boss.
>>
>>344274487
all of the damn dragon fights were useless. Stupid glitched, buggy as hell dragons.
>>
>>344274487
Every Skyrim fight was unsatisfying because Skyrim combat was complete ass just like every TES game.
>>
>>344284234
Every single dungeon in Skyrim is shit.
>>
>>344283691
>as you could stealth kill Camoran during his speech
It was fucking ridiculous m8
>>
>>344284602
The giant Dwemer dungeons were alright. Oblivion had the worst dungeon hands down.
>>
>>344282568
And after that you don't even get some kind of fanfare or credits, it just ends like any other quest.

Also the reward is pretty much useless.
>>
>>344285480
Skyrim's thing was that it doesn't end. Alduin is dead but there are still things to be done.

Also you do get all the dragons in the world thanking you and yelling at each other while Paathurnax cucks you out of your chance to become the king of dragons and takes that title for himself
>>
>>344274628
The problem was the enemies had no scripting to make the combat feel dynamic. I shouldn't have to install several fuckhuge mods to get dragons to actually fight back.
>>
It baffled me how stiff and kind of uncanny valley things were in Skyrim compared to Oblivion, which is really weird considering everyone should have looked and moved more realistically. It made it really awkward to play because I never knew if I wanted to scream in fear or throw up from disgust whenever I saw someone.

Alright I'm exaggerating, but something still looked and felt off about the entire world of Skyrim.
>>
File: 1448585027501.jpg (14 KB, 251x234) Image search: [Google]
1448585027501.jpg
14 KB, 251x234
It occurred to me that the more "epic" the story and main character of TES became, the shittier the story got.

The defeat of Alduin is arguably the most important event that happens in all TES games and the Last Dragonborn is the most powerful MC yet (The Hero of Kvatch became Sheogorath after the events of the game). Yet they failed to do it justice because they didn't add any mystique, build up or even a longer, more fleshed out plot to the story and because the gameplay is putrid. It managed to make something like going to fucking Sovengard be boring.

Skyrim has the skeleton of a good game but it has no meat and no heart.
>>
>>344278960

Not the worst. Not by far.

Probably the most disappointingly average though.
>>
>>344274487
>Nashandra
>>
>>344284819
>Oblivion had the worst dungeon hands down.

People seem to have forgotten how copy and paste the Morrowind dungeons were.

Todd's bullshit statement about Oblivion's dungeons being "hand crafted" wasn't for nothing, Bethesda got a lot of crap for the dungeons of Morrowind.

Morrowind would literally copy and paste entire dungeons and most of them are tiny. Oblivion would copy and paste rooms and junctions and just shuffle the arrangement around. Honestly, Skyrim was an improvement over both games.
>>
>>344278960
trying real hard to fit in here arent we
>>
>>344276791
Underage b&
>>
>>344274487
No
Fable II wins that one.
>>
>>344274487
Skyrim was unsatisfying in general. It was just one dull, loosely-connected quest after in the least immersive way possible.
>>
File: 1465162619892.jpg (38 KB, 417x417) Image search: [Google]
1465162619892.jpg
38 KB, 417x417
>>344283724
>>344284308
The story builds up the Destiny's Edge and make it seem like they're gonna help you defeat Zhaitan
>Story gets hijacked by Tranny-hearne and the DE are useless in the end
>The final boss could've been defeated by average deckhands manning a ship's cannons
>>
>>344281330

oblivion had the best guild quests, and shivering isles was an amazing expansion.
>>
>>344282614
>Teleport behind enemy
pshhh, nothing personnel
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.