[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there so few good open world RPG's? I thought by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
Why are there so few good open world RPG's? I thought by this point we would be playing games with worlds like Oblivion but able to move like Mount and Blade and shit.
>>
Xenoblade
>>
>>344261063
My GOTY of 2015. The moment you get to primordia, and then realize that's you're barely in the damn place is amazing .
>>
>>344260978

Because the games industry is driven by pushing more and more advanced graphics which eat more and more dev time and budget. Because of this every game has to appeal to the lowest common denominator to make back its bloated AAA budget. Indie studios on the other hand just don't have the manpower required to make huge intricate 3D worlds.
>>
File: VQ.png (380 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
VQ.png
380 KB, 600x338
We've taken a huge step backwards. When Minecraft was in Alpha I genuinely thought we'd have the "everything's procedural" hit rpg by now, probably with small voxels and clever rendering. Obviously that got derailed with all the "everything's minecraft" games.
>>
Because the concept is immensely flawed to begin with. There are no good open world RPG's. The two genres are antonymous with one another.
>>
Because open world is inherently a flaw in games that aren't built around sandbox mechanics.

Level design always suffers. There is rarely a challenge in figuring out how to get anywhere and most of the content isn't meaningful. Only one game has got it right and that's Xenoblade X, and I'm not even one of the other anons talking about it. Windwaker came close with its level based design too, but was too empty.

More handcrafted but open levels always work better, like Metroid, Zelda, Souls, Banjo, etc, if the developers aren't going for emergent sandbox gameplay like Mountain Blade or Just Cause.
>>
Is King Stannis gone for good bros?
>>
>>344260978
> Oblivion
> Good open world
You motherfucking inbred retard. Oblivion is dead piece of shit infested with dumb ATM NPCs, andi sincerely hope no one ever used oblivion, elder scrolls, our Bethesda shit in general as an example of good open world Rpg ever again
>>
File: 20160707121221_1.jpg (68 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
20160707121221_1.jpg
68 KB, 1360x768
>>344265645
I think Morrowind is good
>>
open world is cancer
>>
>>344264487
>Because open world is inherently a flaw in games that aren't built around sandbox mechanics.
This. Tight and well directed is always going to beat out loose and not directed at all.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.