[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do I git gud at system shock 2? When does it get fun?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6
File: mEC8PLq.jpg (226 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mEC8PLq.jpg
226 KB, 1920x1080
How the fuck do I git gud at system shock 2? When does it get fun?
>>
It's fun the moment you wake up from cryo sleep, if it's not for you then uninstall.
>>
>>344225317
Just play Zynga games you're too fucking dumb, OP
>>
>>344225317
Navigate to your System Shock 2 install folder and locate the file 'cam_ext.cfg' (make a backup first in case anything goes wrong)

Do a search for the line 'd3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 64' you should see a ";" in front of it. Simply remove this and save the file. Your in game HUD should now be much larger and much easier to read.
>>
>>344225317
When you stop being shit at it.
>>
>>344225317
never. its a horror game.
i do struggle too with it
>>
>>344225317
>When does it get fun?
when you mod out the infinitely respawning enemies
>>
>actually using texutre mods and new weapon models

Off yourself.
>>
>>344225317
It isn't supossed to be fun, its one of those games that nerds say they enjoy to enlarge their e-penises.
Play Deus Ex instead.
>>
>>344225317
>Deck 2
Fun, bit spooky
>Deck 1
Eh
>Deck 3
Shits start rolling and gets only better in terms of story, atmosphere, and combat, especially when you have some points in Maintence and not so afraid to use guns.

Only problem I had in terms of pacing was having to backtrack lots during the Side Ops Computer and Self-Destruct Core activation, let alone remembering where they were.
>>
Once you get to the bulkhead.
>>
>>344225317
What mods?
>>
>>344227107
>It isn't supossed to be fun, its one of those games that nerds say they enjoy to enlarge their e-penises.

That's Deus Ex. SS2 is the one that has hardly aged.
>>
Decks 2/3/4/5 are all fun. The other levels not so much, but it can't be helped.
>>
>>344226926
Tacticool weapons and shtup textures are 100% lore friendly you stupid purist
>>
>>344227187
OP here, I actually just got past the bulkhead.

I'm doing a standard weapons build, and since I've got jack shit for ammo up to this point I have to smack everything with the wrench, which is basically suicide with these PSI monkeys at this point. Also, how do I deal the security cameras?
>>
>>344227605
>Also, how do I deal the security cameras?

By shooting them. Seriously, how do you make it this far without figuring this out?
>>
>dump points in hacking
>hog ammo
>find the assault rifle
>win the game
>>
>>344227605
Just shoot them. Don't bother hacking them it's a waste. Or if you can, just jump and melee them.

I hope you're pointing points into hack, you'll get so much more Ammo and Nats.
>>
>>344227605
Monkey's fire speed is extremely slow, plus it's not instakill or anything, just get close, crouch and whack it a few times, done
>>
why are SS2 threads just casuals and ss1 shitters
>>
>>344226926
Literal nostalgiafag autism.
>>
>>344227919
Well, I mean how do I preemptively deal with them so that I don't set the alarm off in the first place.
>>
>>344225317
Do a melee/mage build.

That shit is fun as hell
>>
>>344227605
>>344225317
DON'T BE A FUCKING CUNT
SAY WHAT MODS
>>
>>344228240
You use your eyes to see them, and your ears to hear the first warning beep, and then your gun to shoot it, jesus
>>
File: wJ0fBGq.jpg (231 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wJ0fBGq.jpg
231 KB, 1920x1080
>>344228348
nigger.
>>
>>344225317
when you play ss1 instead

just kidding ss2 is also good but i like ss1 more
>>
>>344228348
not op, shtup, four hundred, tacticool weapon pack is what i see
>>
>>344228545
Get cancer and die for being this much of a reddit cancerous piece of shit.
>>
Am I the only one who likes the respawning enemies? I think it gives the game a sense of dread and urgency. Like, you need to be in the move and can't waste too much time doing what you need to do.
>>
>>344225317
Get up to Standard 6 so you can use the assault rifle
realize you are god
>>
>>344227979
the children are trying to earn gamer cred
>>
>>344228680
I do, ss2 respawns are reasonable and add to the atmosphere. Some people just need to kill everything they see, waste all ammo and get frustrated.
>>
>>344228240
When a alarm see you it does that (3?) beeping noise. When it does that it alerts you that there's a camera that sees you. You have a few seconds to find cover or shoot it. Preferably shoot it.

If your going to use cover for any circumstance, don't just get out of cover and continue, the alarm will immediately start. Wait till you hear a certain noise, like a rewind noise the camera makes, then it's safe to get out and shoot/melee it. Going under cameras are good since they don't see you if you haven't been spotted already.
>>
>>344228830
>>344228680
I think they can be, but they're pretty lazily done in SS2.

Or maybe not 'lazy', given how early it was, but they're pretty gauche, obvious about it, and not particularly interesting.
>>
>>344228680
I do as well. A simple mechanic, but makes the game far more scary and tense.
>>
>>344228348
Not him but I used this

http://neutralx2.com/2013/07/14/system-shock-2-mod-pack

This guy made a package of texture mods for upscale interiors, weapons, plants, and enemies models. No gameplay changes and stays true to original.
>>
>>344225317
Until you get to a place where you're comfortable, try to reserve your gun for cameras and turrets. Monkeys aren't much of an issue after that first deck, at least until you get to deck 4.

If you have a problem with cameras and turrets, hack security to keep them dormant-ish. Halfway through Deck 1 is where the fun picks up, and Deck 4 is where the big story elements you've probably already guessed happens. Never invest in exotic weapons, and not too much into energy weapons.
>>
You can wrench nearly everything once you know how. Helps you save resources.

For pipe hybrids faking them out by running towards them then backing up until they do the super slow swing upwards animation, then move in and bash them when they're recovering from it. You can just charge them once your skills are good enough to one shot them too.
For shotgun hybrids wait around a corner so they come to you/sneak up on them and then bash them. They'll quite possibly shoot you anyway while you beat them since they have a lot of health though, so don't feel bad if you get hurt.
For cameras wait until they're looking away and then run up and bash them. If one sees you duck back and wait for it to cooldown, then run up and bash it. You're allowed to shoot the ones you can't bash.
For protocol droids lean out from behind a corner and then duck back as soon as their kamikaze animation starts. They'll die and you won't get hurt. With practice you can get it 100% of the time. If you need to you can shoot them though, since sometimes corners aren't handy.
For monkeys use corners so they have to come to you then crouch down and hit them. Their close range attack is weaker than their ranged one, so you're better off just tanking it if you have to. They have low health so you should be able to one hit kill them once your stats are upgraded a little.
For midwives do the same thing as the monkeys, just you don't need to crouch. They have more health, but they're easy to stun so it shouldn't matter.
For spiders just crouch and move backwards and forwards to dodge their attacks while bashing. Real easy, even if they do have a lot of health.
For maintenance/security bots just shoot them. Trying to bash them without getting shot a bunch in the process is too hard, and they explode when they die anyway.

That's everything you'll see on the first 3 decks. Nearly all bashable. Take the OS upgrade that gives you +35% melee damage for your first one, it's great. Even more bashing.
>>
>>344228561
>>344229436
Thanks, you two are cool.
OP is a huge faggot.
>>
>>344227605
get a laser pistol for cameras or for saving ammo on turrets, its a little weak against anything else, but its one of my favorite weapons, used it throughout the entire game
>>
>>344229728
>http://neutralx2.com/2013/07/14/system-shock-2-mod-pack

Just an FYI it can be a pain to install for some people.

If you followed the intructions and it doesn't work for some reason. Just extract the cam_mod again in the SS2 folder to replace it again. Should work.
>>
>>344229749
My nigga. Overcharge shots are okay-ish against organics too, especially considering ammo is free as long as you have recharging station somwhere on the level. With high maintenance levels and two laser pistols in the inventory the total ammo pool becomes more than enough to kill anything some time.
>>
>>344227175
Engineering is the best deck, you pleb. Best balance. Hydro is good too, though.
>>
>>344225317
it gets fun when you get access to some fun weapons/psy mods (which should be immediately)
It also gets fun when you learn the controls better(which will take about 15-30-45-70 minutes in intervals)
>>
>>344230519
I couldn't help but try most of the game's weapons, but I always ended up using the laser pistol and the shotgun, even with standard fire, carrying batteries or using the recharge ability made it convenient as hell
>>
>>344230835
I really don't like engineering. I understand what they were going for with the cargo bays, but it's still not that fun going through eight rooms with three levels each that are all identical in terms of layout. It is kinda fun luring enemies then crushing them with the lifts though. I like that.
>>
>>344229616
If you crouch against midwives they can't hit you IIRC. Didn't use it myself, too exploit-y.

Also the game shits ammo and nanites, you don't really need to bash that much.
>>
>>344230835
Personally Mall was my favorite, as it was for BS1.

Something about store levels in games always amuses me.
>>
File: 1464982395847.webm (378 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1464982395847.webm
378 KB, 640x640
>>344227327
But DX is fun
>>
>>344228348
I just googled system shock 2 graphics mods and found a guide and recommended list of mods on systemshock.org
Because my spoonfeeding, I'm obligated to call you a fucking retard that can't just google something
>>
>>344231249
Engineering was the last level where I felt like ammo etc. was a big concern for me. I remember finding 6 anti-armour bullets and I was happy because I could two-shot exploding robots and that meant I could kill 3 of them! Whoa! I think I pumped them in a huge yellow robot, anyway. It felt like everything was scarce and dangerous. Hydro is fine too, I guess. Later levels - just too much stuff.
>>
The vanilla version looks better than with visual mods you plebs
>>
>>344228628
Fuck off
>>
>>344225317
Horror games aren't supposed to be fun.
>>
>>344231709
especially when you turn down the resolution amirite
>>
>>344231836
But action horrors are, luckily SS2 is one of them
>>
>>344231836
this game is probably one of the worst horror games I've played
>>
>ss1 and ss2 threads in catalog
Thanks nightdive for making shocks relevant again
>>
File: dump000.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dump000.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Going for rapier only with 6 STR and 6 AGI. Soon I'll be able to run into walls for falling damage
>>
After playing both Deus Ex and System Shock 2, while I loved both and I think Deus Ex is the superior game, I vastly prefer System Shock 2.
>>
>>344232681
it'd be really awesome if you could gib enemies by ramming into them at full speed
>>
>>344232735
they're sister games, i love them both
>>
>>344232681
>rapier only
>inventory full of guns/ammo
I mean, that does make sense since the game isn't even possible to complete without a ranged weapon, but it's still not rapier only.
>>
>>344232084
1080p nigga
Low poly/reso or not the art design is much better and more consistent than a mishmash of different basement dwelling modders' interpretations
>>
>>344232946
Call it rapier as much as I can then. Yeah, I gotta keep some guns so I can hit some of the cameras + boss fights.
>>
>>344233043
The only questionable model replacement from suggested mod pack is rebirth, the rest are lore friendly
>>
>>344233254
Whats wrong with rebirth?
>>
File: polito.jpg (77 KB, 580x263) Image search: [Google]
polito.jpg
77 KB, 580x263
>>344225317
THE POLITO-FORM IS DEAD, INSECT.
>>
>>344233462
Changes art direction for enemies too much, most notably titty monster midwaifus. There is a good midwife model for nurse Bloom, but authors decided to make it unique to her. There is a way to make all midwives use it though, requires some fiddling with config.
New hybrids are also less grotesque than low-poly ones.
Just see the screens and decide for yourself.
>>
>>344233952
I don't like how they gave rumblers a bunch of unnecessary details as well.

Robot models are good, but they're hard to fuck up, really.
>>
>>344233472
>now let me tell you a story about how my grove was ejected at exactly the right angle to hit a planet after flying for three decades, and in a way which didn't destroy it even though it was travelling at a third of the speed of light
>>
File: 1416756901084.gif (2 MB, 480x271) Image search: [Google]
1416756901084.gif
2 MB, 480x271
>>344234482
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.