[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>flawless 10/10 masterpiece goty >almost nothing copies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: untitled.png (67 KB, 263x192) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
67 KB, 263x192
>flawless 10/10 masterpiece goty
>almost nothing copies any mechanics/ideas from it

why is this?
>>
File: 1464846038612.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1464846038612.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>
File: 152456-darksiders.jpg (77 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
152456-darksiders.jpg
77 KB, 620x349
*COUGH*
>>
>>344119272
Copy what, exactly? Ocarina added nothing new to the table.
>>
>>344119272
>flawless 10/10 masterpiece goty
You're fucking kidding right?
It's like I'm really watching a top 10 video games list
>>
>what is dark souls
>>
>>344122226
I would normally call this bait but I have a feeling you're 12 years old and being serious.

When OOT came out they were just figuring out how to make 3D games, how to implement movement, combat, and camera angles. The fact that it is still so playable nowadays is incredibly impressive
>>
File: 1464993539234.jpg (106 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1464993539234.jpg
106 KB, 640x360
>>344119272
>>
>>344123128
I never played OoT when it came out, byt goddamn it must have been amazing for kids seeing Hyrule field for the first time, even if it is a bit empty by todays standards. I think the game is overrated and has aged like milk, but I can understand why people who grew up with it love it so much. Majora's Mask on the other hand aged like fine wine.
>>
>>344119272
literally every single third person game learned from it: camera control, lock-on, moving, jumping and attacking while locking on, bosses
>>
File: 35044-261161.jpg (22 KB, 425x292) Image search: [Google]
35044-261161.jpg
22 KB, 425x292
Every game has copied what Ocarina of Time did. There are artifacts of OoT in every modern game. Not literally, well, actually yes, if everything is just 1 and 0's coming together to express a certain idea, then Ocarina of Time is base for every 3D game.

tl;dr the point is, every game copies OoT, but no game has succeeded at anything it did individually (for instance you could always argue that OoT is better at this or that, than any game with an overworld). How much less would a game be able to top it uniting all its elements into one?

So the logic is, not to try. I'm serious. Making video games costs millions if not billions these days. Every major designer has pipe dreams about making a game like OoT, but imagine explaining that you want to make a game with a real-time system and an openworld, and kusarigama-style 3D control, oh and a good camera and platforming elements. And lots of side content.

Why make a game like that when the objective is to put bread on the table using only the most time and money efficient plan possible?

Humans like it easy, it has been this was since Adam and Eve. We're always trying to cut ourselves a break.
>>
>>344119272

Just dont post again please
>>
>>344124439

>if not billions
>billions

billions for a video game lmfao
>>
>>344119272
OOT is shit now and if you downright say that you get hate from the fanboys.
At best it's the "Citizen Kane" of gaming.
>>
>>344123128
>When OOT came out they were just figuring out how to make 3D games
Nintendo had made a 3D game two years earlier called Super Mario 64, and they had been working on Super Mario 64 longer than that. They weren't figuring out how to make 3D games with OoT.

OoT is really just a testament to how bad the N64 controller was. I'll give Nintendo credit for being able to make a good game despite the limitations of the thing, but the controls in 3D Zeldas didn't become properly fluid until Wind Waker.
>>
>>344123546
I was 12 when OoT came out. I got it that Christmas. I was a big fan of A Link To The Past, and had experience with Legend of Zelda.

From my point of view, Hyrule field was always a bit of a let down. You don't realize this at first. Because you see the potential in a large explorable space. But eventually you realize the big pineapple monsters aren't worth fighting, and the holes aren't worth exploring. So you only see the field as the thing you need to cross to get to the places that are ACTUALLY cool to explore. Plus, when you're 12, you get lost easy, even with Navi telling you what to do. Dealing with the field was always a chore. Which made getting Epona feel that much better.

Now riding Epona was a REAL amazing moment. The idea that the game would actually let you escape with the horse by jumping the fence, and transitioning into the field was pretty mindblowing.

But the best "first time" moment in Zelda, was really the entire Kokiri Forest segment of the intro. Before that point, I had never played a game where the town felt so alive. The NPC were all expressive. You could run and explore. Finding the sword, and the money for the shield felt like natural exploration.

But the moment that reeeeeally made me feel like this was a different kind of game, was when you realize you need to jump down the room in order to break the spider web and fall into the basement floor of the dungeon. I didn't really grasp the scope a 3D puzzle could potentially have until that point. You just think about the little puzzles in each room. You don't think about that much verticality being utilized.
>>
>>344119272
>>almost nothing copies any mechanics/ideas from it
>Superior sequel literally borrows assets from it.
>>
File: cpatia.png (249 KB, 397x599) Image search: [Google]
cpatia.png
249 KB, 397x599
>>344125827
Which still had inverted look and high sensitivity, making it really hard to aim the ranged items.

p.s. wtf was wrong with the captcha, never seen this before
>>
>>344123546
Guy who grew up with it here,

Majora's Mask was and is better.
>>
>>344126132
Despite that, the second analog camera controls were a very welcome addition to the series.

Honestly, if you took OoT as it is, made the boot upgrades mappable to buttons like on the 3DS remake, and gave it second analog camera controls, it'd be a way better game.
>>
>>344125040
Numbers are hard.
>>
File: Like cropped Steam avatars.png (501 KB, 427x647) Image search: [Google]
Like cropped Steam avatars.png
501 KB, 427x647
>>344126132
I got this once...
>>
>>344126132
>Which still had inverted look
That was normal then. I feel like Inverted controls were standard until, I don't know when exactly. But one day, everyone collectively thought to ruin my experience by un-inverting the controls, forcing me to have to go into the options and invert them.
>>
This is is some shitty bait ain't it
>>
>>344119272
>>almost nothing copies any mechanics/ideas from it
Z targeting has been ripped off countless times
>>
>>344126132
>>344126657
Wait, you guys don't normally get these?

These became the norm for me a long time ago. It just now made me pick all the images with airplanes.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.