[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone explain to me why the original Deus Ex is so loved
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: header.jpg (47 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
47 KB, 460x215
Can anyone explain to me why the original Deus Ex is so loved by /v/?
I mean, yeah, the story is fucking fantastic, with conspiracies, secret organizations etc.
But the gameplay, oh god the gameplay...It's just feels so old and dated. Gunplay doesn't feel satisfying at all. Crawling is way too slow, and some of the shit you can level up is fucking useless.
Do you guys actually love this game for the gameplay?
>>
>>344017113
Yes
There is a lot of freedom to play through a level in any way you want
Not a lot of games capture that level of freedom like deus ex
>>
File: 1466649540626.jpg (43 KB, 227x281) Image search: [Google]
1466649540626.jpg
43 KB, 227x281
>>344017113
Yes
>>
>>344017113
Any game that lets me gottagofast is literally perfect.
>>
File: 1439305556665.jpg (212 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1439305556665.jpg
212 KB, 768x1024
>>344017113
Because it's a unique product of a particular point in time.

It was made by people who had an interesting vision and just executed it. Yeah parts of it are a bit wonky, but that's a byproduct of experimental design compared to what we have today.
>add in Arkham Asylum x-ray vision because that's what everyone else is doing
>add in leaf collecting and crafting because that's what everyone else is doing
>totally focused on 'safe' things that players will already be familiar with

Plus it was made at a time where a game could just be designed for one platform like PC, without having to worry about console memory limitations etc. So you get something on a scale and size that basically will never be seen again with the level of focus on graphics that modern games have
>>
Deus Ex is a complete disaster that is held together by some amazing level design. None of it's individual gameplay mechanics holds up to the standards set by any of its peers, but the open levels that invite exploration and offer multiple ways to achieve your objectives manage to get the most out of those subpar mechanics.
>>
>>344017113
>.It's just feels so old and dated.

This has nothing to do with the fact the game is 20 years old. Nope. Nothing at all.
>>
>>344017113

the gameplay is more open ended than any other game I can think of.

It's fantastic.
>>
>>344018590

This is pretty correct.
>>
>>344018803
Does it?
Back then there were great shooters with superb gunplay, however the gunplay is deliberately made to be bad if you did not upgrade it.

The rest is retarded of OP, crawling is slow IRL and useless abilities are always contemporary.
>>
>>344020520

>however the gunplay is deliberately made to be bad if you did not upgrade it.
This

Three levels in pistols or rifles and you're a walking death machine
>>
>>344017113
I think the gameplay is great. The stealth system is a bit glitchy and knocking people out requires aiming at their head fairly precisely which probably wouldn't be part of a modern game, but the gunplay is actually not bad. The reticle indicates how accurate your character will hit, i.e. the shots will be placed within. You need to aim longer at a target and stand still if your skill is low. Once you become better it feels more like a 'normal' FPS. There are also augmentations to reduce spread and make you aim faster. Crawling is fast enough, actually your character probably moves a lot faster than in most contemporary FPS. And when it comes to being able to level up, you get more than enough XP to not gimp yourself by levelling up something which doesn't have as many uses (e.g. swimming). Although I'd argue that even swimming has its uses here and there. I usually put one or two points in it only to make that one annoying swimming section a lot easier. It should also be considered that swimming is the cheapest skill to levelup, so there's that.
And gameplay is also not just navigating through maps and killing things. Gameplay is also the types of interactions you can do within the game and seeing them being met with coherent consequences (e.g. when killing certain NPCs). Not to mention the absolutely brilliant level design which far surpasses modern games - including the modern Deus Ex titles, which lets you freely explore and freely make use of your various skills and augmentations to clear your path and reach your objectives.
I'd agree that gunplay and stealth mechanics feel a bit clunky, but the system itself, i.e. actual character-skill-based gunplay which makes you worse at shooting if your character is low-skilled, as well as having a great variety of skills to level up is great.
>>
>>344017113
>plenty of mistakes
>ellipses
>shit taste

I call underage.
>>
>>344017113
I like the gameplay.

OP probably never played the game and/or didn't actually upgrade JC's skills.
>>
File: 1438392932310.jpg (81 KB, 737x621) Image search: [Google]
1438392932310.jpg
81 KB, 737x621
>>344017113
>swimming and environmental training
>Swimming is extremely useful, especially in New York, where you can get a shitload of equipment from the water, and there's almost 0 respirators.
>Environment is basically mandatory for some solutions as a suit only reduces damage by 25% on it's own, and you can't heal while hacking or picking.
>Having these skills means you don't have to clutter your inventory with extra shit
>Both skills cost less than half as much as the more useful skills to balance things out.
>mfw people who only ever played the game once bitch about Swimming and Environmental Training.
>>
>>344020985

This guy is completely correct.

I always put one level in swimming. You don't need much more but it's more useful than people give credit.
>>
>>344020985
>>344021105
At Mastery level you swim as fast as you run, it's great to move around in Hong Kong.
>>
>>344017113
>Sprint through the level with completely silent cyberlegs while killing everyone with my silenced pistol
or
>Fly from enemy to enemy at ludicrous speed slicing everyone with your laser sword while deflecting missiles with your brain.
or
>Flawlessly sneak through the level without leaving a trace

It's pretty good.
>>
>>344017113
>just feels so old and dated
Nobody ever bothers specifying what they mean by this.
It's almost like they just checked the release date of the game and and use it as an excuse for why they didn't get into it.
>>
>>344017113
Nice bait. The game isn't very clunky and actually holds up very well. For reference, I played it for the first time in 2014.
>>
>>344018590
>>344019805
But the shooting is solid, I suggest you play the game and this time invest some points in the skills.

Also check the difference between "its" and "it's" while you're at it.
>>
>>344022892
No it is not. Weapon feedback is almost nonexistent, the enemy AI is very subpar (IIRC the GMDX mod had a good video showcasing how bad the vanilla AI is), and enemy variety is minimal. Nobody is saying the game as a whole isn't good, but assuming that because a game is good then all its components by themselves are also good is fallacious.
>>
>>344017113
The gameplay is one of Deus Ex's best aspects. The only really horrible part about combat is the scope shooting and the dumb AI. Everything else is more satisfying and varied than anything modern games have produced. You can kill enemies and complete missions in a hundred different ways using your augs and weapons. The only useless stat is swimming. Everything else and every aug has its uses, however niche they might be.
>>
File: DeusEx 2015-04-21 22-21-52-68.jpg (60 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DeusEx 2015-04-21 22-21-52-68.jpg
60 KB, 1920x1080
-It's lengthy
-Awesome music
-Many different playstyles
-Ridiculous voice acting which actually turns out to improve the game
-Story that draws disturbing parallels to reality
-Nanotechnology
>>
Nostalgia.
>>
>>344025502
>It's lengthy
Modern gamer and reviewer would consider this a con
>>
File: DeusEx 2015-04-21 02-44-57-42.jpg (150 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DeusEx 2015-04-21 02-44-57-42.jpg
150 KB, 1920x1080
>>344025558
Yeah it definitely has zero merit besides that
>>
File: DeusEx 2015-04-20 22-31-36-25.jpg (102 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DeusEx 2015-04-20 22-31-36-25.jpg
102 KB, 1920x1080
>>344025797
Not if it's consistently good
>>
>>344017113
it's an adventure game combining a bunch of different elements and genres
it also lets you play however you want but you can't do absolutely everything the first time around so it always feels fresh every time you play it because there is always something new to discover it seems
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.