[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/v/ says this is one of the best DS JRPGs, what do you think about it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6
File: Radiant_Historia_Cover_Art.jpg (29 KB, 250x225) Image search: [Google]
Radiant_Historia_Cover_Art.jpg
29 KB, 250x225
/v/ says this is one of the best DS JRPGs, what do you think about it?
>>
I thought it was ugly and boring.
>>
>/v/ says
>you

aren't I /v/?

it's pretty good. like a non shit version of chrono trigger.
>>
I thought it was beautiful and fun.

Nice Historia and battle system.
>>
I love the traveling through timelines thing, specially how the sidequests work around it

Unfortunately, for an ATLUS jRPG, the game was really easy and not complex enough
>>
Dull as hell.
>>
I haven't finished it because my DS2 card exploded on me part way through the game.

Solid all around graphics, story seemed to not shit the bed, main character was competent and didn't seem like the prototypical silly anime kid.

battle system was good, but I disliked the limitation of certain characters in their roles as far as directions they could push/pull and attack.
>>
It's pretty good but has nothing on Strange Journey and Etrian Odyssey 3. Combat system was good but lacked difficulty besides the one or two sudden spikes during the game. Also the way the EXP/gold bonuses were handled made battles unnecessary long since you always want to finish off on a long combo.
>>
>>344009080
>/v/ says
Fuck you.
>>
File: 30378803.jpg (396 KB, 724x1200) Image search: [Google]
30378803.jpg
396 KB, 724x1200
It's good.

I only wish there was more, and that it had a hard mode.
>>
It's a good game, but the battle system gets old after a while. Wish they just had a classic rpg combat system instead, as the story, music and characters manage to carry the game on it's own
>>
>>344009080
true
>>
>>344010171
Turn based JRPG combat systems always get old after a while 2bh
>>
It's pretty good.
Dungeon Travelers 2 is probably the best.
>>
I don't like the combat very much but this game's music is fucking 10/10. Need to go back and finish it.
>>
>>344010363
Yeah, I know and I agree, but it's a lot easier to just get done with it instead of pushing mobs around trying to combo.
>>
>Good story
>Best jrpg protagonist you will probably see in a jrpg
>good ost
>battle system unfortunately can be broken really early making the game way to easy
>>
>>344009080
While it is good, it's not the best DS JRPG. Strange journey, EO (especially 3) and the dark spire are way better.
>>
>>344009225
>non shit version of chrono trigger
(You)
>>
>>344010772

All by Altus too.
>>
>>344010772
>Dark Spire
Only if you enjoy getting fucked by RNG and grinding. Not a whole lot else to the game unfortunately.
>>
>>344010772
Would Strange Journey be a good place to start into SMT?

Also Etrian Odyssey is a bit of a different beast from an RPG, isn't it?
>>
>>344010943
Music, setting and art!
But yeah, the game broke me when I had to check every single wall for hidden doors.
>>
>>344009080
It's one of the weakest modern Atlus games. It has the best RPG protag ever though.
>>
>>344009225
>replay Chrono Trigger
>everything after the Black Omen launches into space is shit

These fucking side quests are so bad. The ones exclusive to the 3ds are 90% backtracking and autism.
>>
>>344009080
It was a great game. Got slightly repetitive, but stayed fun until the end.
>>
>>344010903
Dark Spire was made by Success.
>>
>>344010980
EO is the almost the quintessential modern DRPG.
>>
File: eridanus.jpg (269 KB, 640x564) Image search: [Google]
eridanus.jpg
269 KB, 640x564
>>344010980
>Would Strange Journey be a good place to start into SMT?

See pic related and decide for yourself. I played it as my second SMT game after Devil Survivor and had a blast
>>
>>344010980
I didn't like it, its gameplay is worse than modern SMT games
>>
File: 1457761536848.jpg (153 KB, 560x335) Image search: [Google]
1457761536848.jpg
153 KB, 560x335
>>344011017
>These fucking side quests are so bad
I thought they were fun and I liked that they didn't overstay their welcome

Only part about endgame CT I didn't like was the Black Omen dungeon 'cause it was annoying

>>344011162
spurdo.jpg
>>
>>344011116

Oh you're right but it was published by Altus in NA which is the cause of the confusion.
>>
>>344010943
The only RNG fuckery that I can remember was the dice roll subquest. Grinding was not necessary at all, Dark spire was infuriating when you just got stuck and had no clue on how to continue, and the stuff you had to do was some bullshit like that fucking elevator subquest.
>>
it's not just one of the best JRPGs on the DS but on any system.
>>
>>344009080
One of the best JRPGs period. The gameplay is excellent, setting is good, story is good, I like the way the sidequests work, etc. The combat is fairly simple but there's still a lot of options and you end up using all sorts of party combinations, gear setups, item buffs/debuffs, different sorts of combos, limit breaks/turn breaks, etc. It would be nice if it were harder, but there are some challenging fights if you don't fight any random battles (which are very easily avoidable, by the way).
>>
>>344010980
Strange journey was my first SMT, I played it like pokemon (I didn't want to fuse my favourite demons etc) and got fucked over, every boss battle was a struggle, but I carried on. It's a totally legit starting point, maybe Devil survivor is better since it introduces a way more flexible fusion system and isn't as "buff or die" as strange journey.
>>
>>344010654
>Put Stocke and the loli in the party
>Win the game forever
>>
>>344011751
>Spider boss
>Suffer

By the way: is there ANY way to make the finals in the subquest tournament easier? I only have MC and loli, and the champion in one of those fucking nine tiles spider so I can't trap him. Can't you get another party member on somehow?
>>
>>344011935
I don't really remember, but try poisoning it?
>>
>>344011935
Poison and whack it with Dead Fencer after a large combo whenever possible. Play defensively and you should outlast it.
>>
>>344011935
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAnIP_Yoq8

git gud
>>
>>344012475
>LLG
Is there some sort of patch or cheat I can use to disable the exp boost from the combo meter? I've done a couple 'LLG's but I didn't like how I hand to purposely gimp my combos so I didn't get too much exp.
>>
>>344009080
Definitely one of the best jrpgs ever made.
>Non generic and fun turn based combat system
>Great cast of characters
>Story rarely suffered from usual japanese bullshit
>great music
What else could you ask for
>>
>>344011935
it's easy, use poison and curse wings, keep reviving/healing(buy tons of revive items)

then just wait till it dies
>>
playing through it for the first time right now as we speak

still in chapter 1
>>
File: 2011-10-21-446736.jpg (2 MB, 2550x2557) Image search: [Google]
2011-10-21-446736.jpg
2 MB, 2550x2557
>>
Not a abad game but traps are too fucking powerful and the combat can get annoying since autos sucks
>>
File: DQ5 Box Art.jpg (542 KB, 1285x1152) Image search: [Google]
DQ5 Box Art.jpg
542 KB, 1285x1152
There's only one DS RPG worth caring about.
>>
>>344014771
What's wrong with his arm? And did Japan make a rpg set in middle-east?
>>
>>344014771
The DS is lousy with great JRPG's. Just because you like that one most doesn't mean the others are bad.
>>
>>344009080
It's pretty great.
>>
>>344009080
it was neat and the MC acted like an srpg protagonist (professional as fuck) but the battle system wasn't complex enough and there needed to be more portraits for each character.
>>
Good concept

Bad everything else, characters, character design, gameplay, music, story, everything really. Not a good game at all, borderline unplayable.
>>
>>344009080
Incredibly boring.
>>344009701
Those are two really different kind of games.
>>
>>344014771
Great Story, but gameplay is kinda mediocre and monster taming is shit RNG.
All bosses are the same, put up the buff that reduces fire damage and heal with the staff or stone.
>>
>>344015871
>Radiant Historia
>bad music

low quality shitpost
>>
Post your favorite track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82d6NBRFjA
>>
>>344009080
repitive
>>
>>344017608
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICvr93Bz1S4
>>
There is honestly too much fucking talking and not enough actually moving/fighting and playing the game.

>time travel
>have to listen to the same shit over and over again
>no way to actually skip it, just fast forward the text
>animations still play out
just kill me now
>>
>>344010980

SMT4 is probably the best stepping stone into the franchise, even with FUCKING MINOTAUR.
>>
>>344017815
>No way to skip it
Just hold the start button nigga
It skips entire cutscenes in 2 seconds
>>
>>344018039
If thats actually true you might classify me as a class A retard
>>
>>344017829
I think the upcoming Apocalypse might actually be a better entry point than SMTIVF, if the plot makes sense for new players. It (partially) fixes SMTIV's difficulty curve at least.
>>
>>344018110
without a doubt.
>>
Predictable. Nowhere near the polish or innovation I was expecting whenever anyone brought it up. I spent quite a bit on a physical copy back in the day before they rereleased it, I wish I'd saved my money. It's not bad, it's just average.
>>
My biggest problem with the game is that some party members are just flat out better than others. Rosch had it worst with his complete absence in one timeline.
>>
>>344009080
If it had more than 10 dollars for a developmental budget they may have been able to make the game they really wanted.
As it is the gameplay is repetitive and the whole time travel plot is VERY underutilized, having you visit the same locations twice in different orders.
It's worth a playthrough just for the writing alone though; the story is up there as one of the best I've seen in a Jrpg. I just hope one day we get a fully realized remake.
>>
It's decent but nothing special.
Story is good but kinda predictable. Characters are shit though, and only two or three of them are relevant.
Combat is fine but gets old really fast and is too easy.
Also some of the sidequest may be annoying when you don't have a return point and need to replay a couple of missions just to talk to someone.
OST is the best part of the game.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.