[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are games who successfully manage to merge gameplay and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
What are games who successfully manage to merge gameplay and plot together?
pic related
>>
bump holy shit
>>
undertale
indies are really good at it
>>
Dark Souls
>>
>>343999478
Is that a joke?
>>
only game to ever make me cry, that part at the end were you realize what you need to do killed me. Made me wish I hadn't been such an aloof dick to my brother our entire lives. I really wish I had a better relationship with him.
>>
>>343997874
I don't remember that much about Braid but wasn't there like a mountain of text between the levels?
>>
File: Brothers_THUMB_large.jpg (48 KB, 626x352) Image search: [Google]
Brothers_THUMB_large.jpg
48 KB, 626x352
>>343999575
sorry im retarded
>>
If gameplay to plot means win the next big fight than any fighting game with a tournament story where your character has to win their fights to proceed to the grand finals and fight the big boss.

Too easy, OP.
>>
>>343999538
Is that a joke?
>>
>>343999478
explain
>>
>>343999538
No. I don't consider it a successful merger of the two if the plot interrupts the gameplay.
>>
Final Fantasy XIII. I know, people hated the linearity, but it makes sense if you think about it.
>>
File: THEVOID.jpg (45 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
THEVOID.jpg
45 KB, 800x600
The Void had perhaps the best merging of gameplay and narrative I've ever seen. Absolutely brilliant in that regard.

Shout-out should go to Braid and Brothers: Tale of fucking redundant subtitles.
>>
>>343997874
Prince of Persia Sands of Time?

Only thing I can think of and it also has time control mechanic like Braid.
>>
>>343997874
One Way Heroics.
>>
>>343999929
Game is about a random undead trying to do the impossible and kindle the fire even though he stands no chance at the beggining he keeps going and getting better until he finally does it, gameplay is hard but manageable if you keep going
>>
>>343997874
Earthbound
>>
Gone Home
>>
The Last of Us

Literally the strongest point about the game is that it lets you experience a rather simple story (zombies attack main character needs to sacrifice a loved one to save humanity is a story that is not particularly new or innovative) through gameplay. It is a game about surviving an apocalypse and it really makes you feel like you are just surviving, having only 2 or 3 bullets in your weapons you need to use stealth, makeshift weapons and tactics to get to your goal
>>
File: showaku12s.png (31 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
showaku12s.png
31 KB, 1024x1024
>>343997874
The Swapper
>>
>>343997874
prince of persia 1 on DOS
prince of persia 2 on DOS
probably the best examples I've ever seen.
Metroid I guess. Fusion uses words but Prime and Super, literally everything is shown rather than told.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.