[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most unnecessary effects in videogames
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: jello.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
jello.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
What are the most unnecessary graphical effects in videogames? Pic related.
>>
People are going to say motion blur and dof but they can be used well.

I don't get chromatic aberration. Why do video game devs want to simulate a camera fault? Also bloom and HDR can also be used well but more often than not they're implemented pretty poorly. I don't get the dirt on camera thing for the same reason as chromatic aberration.
>>
I like Chromatic Aberration

When done correctly it can lend tremendous realism to a scene
>>
Anything post process that tries to "mimic" real life shit, like blur and bloom.

Especially blur
>>
clipping
It's 2016 we shouldn't have that shit anymore
>>
UI distortion when hit.
>>
>>343988163
Implementing procedural animation would go a long way in helping with this as you could include physics and collision calculations into your animations. You can kind of do collision calculation already but it would just move the animation away from the wall which could look weird as well.

I don't know why it's still a thing in cutscenes or things like walking animations with character equipment clipping though as devs should have a large amount of control over these things.
>>
>>343987636
Chromatic Aberration is awful. Unless it's Cuphead

Also lens flare. Games are meant to be immersive, not make you feel like you're filming a movie.
>>
>>343987636
How is the shaky pudding effect unnecessary?
>>
Motion blur & film grain.
>>
>>343989320
Oh yeah, film grain is up there too with the "let's emulate limitations or faults of cameras" effects too.
>>
>>343988084
Shitty post process filters exist because increasing polygons and texture resolution hit diminishing returns, but physically accurate lighting is not quite realtime yet, or at least much harder to do than blurring the shit of out of everything.
>>
>>343991724
They could put more polygons and better textures on things that aren't the main character and his weapons. Too many games suffer from a small area around the player looking good and everything else looking like shit.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.