[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When does this game get FUN?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9
File: The_Witcher_EU_box.jpg (51 KB, 250x296) Image search: [Google]
The_Witcher_EU_box.jpg
51 KB, 250x296
When does this game get FUN?
>>
File: plebs.jpg (341 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
plebs.jpg
341 KB, 1920x1080
>>343941250
the moment you start playing it, assuming you're not ADHD console-kid that was looking for a simple hack & slash title.
>>
Around Act 3.
>>
late act 2
>>
>>343941250
it's starts out as fun.
after act 3 it's godlike
>>
The only parts I didn't enjoy were early act1 and the swamp.
>>
I thought the best part of Witcher 1 was the outskirt area. I loved the way how day feels completely different from the night, with the attacks and all. Also speak quickly.

Once you get inside the city, it becomes the most generic "run around fetching stuff in copypasted environment" borefest.
>>
>>343942085
This t b h

The swamp can be quite tedious especially if you actually do the witcher quests, the whole quest with finding the killer and kalkstein and that detective was nice though and kept act 2 above average

remember
>shani best girl
>pray to the lady of the lake
>tell alvin that witchers are bad
>murder those fucking elves
>>
>>343941250
>rpgs
>fun

Wrong genre buddy
>>
>>343941250
As you're running around Vizima and start to actually know your way around the area you'll feel it.
>>
File: 1349198722244.jpg (764 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1349198722244.jpg
764 KB, 1920x1080
>>343941908
This.
If you're experienced CRPG player, the game should not be that odd or off-putting at any point. I was personally a total rookie to genre when I played it back in 2012, and pretty much loved every minute. I literally replayed it 3 times in a row afterwards, loving each run more than last, always finding something new and fancy.

I also liked how it played against your expectations of typical RPG quests and meeting key NPCs; people don't just idly stand around, and sometimes persons you're meant to meet are not found in assumed location for a reason.
>>
>>343941250

It doesnt.

Just play through it for the story.
>>
File: kurwa intensifies.gif (267 KB, 159x161) Image search: [Google]
kurwa intensifies.gif
267 KB, 159x161
>>343942624
>It doesnt.
my talisman detects shit taste ITT
>>
File: corgi-computer.jpg (94 KB, 450x331) Image search: [Google]
corgi-computer.jpg
94 KB, 450x331
If you're looking for good combat then never, if you're looking for good story then around the end of act II.
>>
As soon as you finish the tutorial.

Then it becomes slightly less fun in act 2, hits an all time low in act 3, then picks the fuck back up like damn
>>
>>343942861

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, but it really isnt fun in the slightest. The combat is boring, the character building is lame, and the only reason to play the game is to experience the world and characters.

I still think it's a pretty good game, it just isnt fun in the slightest.
>>
File: 1371732324122.gif (2 MB, 400x217) Image search: [Google]
1371732324122.gif
2 MB, 400x217
>>343942945
but the combat was good?
At least miles more enjoyable than the clunky shit in TW2.

>>343943301
>The combat is boring,
how can anyone find this stuff "boring"??
>the character building is lame,
I don't get it. It's motherfucking Geralt! Your task is to just become more awesome, and preferably fuck every two-legged skirt wearer on the planet.
>and the only reason to play the game is to experience the world and characters.
And that's not enough for some people??
>>
>>343942304
What does 3 do?
>>
>>343943693
>Tfw I've only played W1 with Igni spam
Really should replay
>>
>>343943693

It looks cool, but in reality combat is nothing more than rock paper scissors set to a drum beat

>Oh no, a bunch of Little guys
>switch to scissor style
>Click...Click...Click...Click...Click...Click...
>Oh no, a big dude
>Switch to rock style
>Oh no, a fast dude!
>Switch to paper style

It's fucking terrible. You also confuse enjoyment with fun. I enjoy the game, I enjoy the story and characters, but that doesnt mean it's fun. I played through the games because they were interesting, not because they had engaging mechanics that were fun to experiment with.
>>
File: 1401395626711.webm (2 MB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
1401395626711.webm
2 MB, 720x576
>>343944117
I didn't know that was even possible, and I'm not really a WRPG player.

>>343944156
>It looks cool, but in reality combat is nothing more than rock paper scissors set to a drum beat
And that's "bad" because...?

And I had great fun roaming around the place, enjoying the mood, getting drunk, screwing 3 vampires at once and collecting sex cards.
>>
>>343941250
Witcher 2
>>
>>343944530
...is the worst game in the trilogy, and overhyped console trash.
>>
>>343944156

Or, alternatively...

>max out Igni sign

>Oh no, enemies
>burn
>burn
>burn
>Oh no, enemies
>burn
>burn
>burn

I liked the game once it got off the ground (many the voice acting in the first part in Kaer Morhen was fucking awful), but the combat fell apart once you started doing some serious levelling.
>>
>>343944369

>And that's "bad" because...?

This, the rhythm fighting system is actually a good idea.
>>
>>343944581
stop shilling your rhythm game, nobody likes Witcher 1
>>
File: 1465335105078.gif (285 KB, 159x161) Image search: [Google]
1465335105078.gif
285 KB, 159x161
>>343941250
The second you start playing it?

Playing tW3 only makes me want to play the first one again.
>>
>>343944369

It's bad because there is absolutely no depth or strategy to the combat.

You just pick the right style and click away.

You've basically mastered the entire melee combat system in your first dozen fights. You eventually unlock new combo moves, and even then, they're just different animations to go along with your clicks.

I don't think I will be able to convey my point to you. I enjoyed exploring and interacting with the world, but it was still very dry and boring.

I know I shouldnt expect good combat from an RPG, but there's just something about the witcher's system that I absolutely loathe. I would have preferred an auto attack system, because that's essentially what you're doing.
>>
The Witcher series was the first series of games in a long long time where I actually gave a shit about potions.

In almost every game potions are nothing more than "Press X to heal"

But the Witcher did potions right. Potions were very strong but you couldn't use too many, and they lasted a long time. I don't know how or why so many games fuck this up.
>>
>>343944961
Probably because the source material describes potions in such a way. Geralt takes what I would assume is Cat and goes into a fucking frenzy.
>>
>>343944961
>press x to heal
>press x for temporary attack boost
>press x to see in dark
Anon, the potions are pretty fucking basic. Is Poland paying you to post this?
>>
>>343941250
It gets fun when you "get it", the tutorial is pretty shitty it doesn't even explain the combat well let alone alchemy.

When I first played this game I quit at chapter one, but my friends liked it so I was determined to see it trough and now I've replayed it about six times
>>
>>343945251
confirmed for not having played the first game

it has the best alchemy system in any game. Second one fucked it up baddly.

Not sure about the third one still haven't got around to it
>>
>>343941250
At the uninstall button.
>>
>>343945102

No, I get that. (I got the books this year and have been enjoying them more than I expected).

But what I don't know is how literally hundreds of video game developers focusing on gameplay have fucked it up, and they needed a 20 year old Slavsquat short story to help them figure it out.

I just got Kingdoms of Amalur in the steam sale for $4.99 and played around with alchemy. The potions last like 30-60 seconds and usually run out before combat is even over. It's stupid, infuriating shit.
>>
File: Capture.png (164 KB, 585x168) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
164 KB, 585x168
>>343945431
>confirmed for not having played the first game\
k
>>
>>343943925
3 what?
>>
Stop forcing yourself to play shitty games just cause you're a pcuck, watch a free movie or something.
You dont have to torture yourself with garbage witcher games.
>>
>>343942304
I loved the swamp. I just got to act 2. Past those gates. And it's pretty dull so far imo
>>
>>343945792
The swamp is 90% of act 2 you doofus, you might be mistaking something here
>>
>>343945605
makes sense, you got early in the game and you've only seen the 3 basic potions the game gave you, never bothered to buy recipes
>>
>>343945605
>>343945251

Then how do you not know that you can't take potions mid fight?
How do you not know what certain reagent mixtures can also add debuffs to your potions?
How do you not know that you need to plan out what mix of potions you want to take in preparation for a fight?
How do you not know that you need to determine what potions you leave out of your bag of tricks to avoid toxicity?
>>
>>343945621
>tell alvin that witchers are bad
>>
>>343945946
When did I ever talk about any of that shit?

All I did was call you out on pretending that Witcher potions aren't very basic in their effects.

Now stop throwing an autism tantrum, shill.

>>343945915
>I-IT GETS BETTER AFTER THE FIRST 20 HOURS!
k
>>
>>343946098
Doesn't really do anything iirc, nothing you tell Alvin really pans out
>>
>>343944713
>shilling a decade old game
k
also, I love it, so your point is null.

>>343944809
>It's bad because there is absolutely no depth or strategy to the combat.
Except there is. Different strategies and stances are required for different enemies to take them down effectively, not to mention the wide set of Signs you can utilize.

The way of executing these actions does not matter, and I'm actually glad that the game plays like an oldschool top-down CRPG in this case. Makes the game more comfortable to play, as you don't need to worry about split-second reactions and shit like in the sequels, which literally took inspiration from DeS.
>>
>>343944156
The combat is good if you realize that you can chain attacks on different enemies, and pirouetting doesn't break the chain.

So you can get attack to chain 5 and take out a big group is immensely satisfying, a short bloody battle but with preperation beforehand to prepare the potions
>>
>>343945875
I might be actually. Is act 3 when you go through the gates? Into the city?
>>
>>343945946

That first line is true, but the other ones are complete bullshit.

I'm pretty sure you can buff potions with dominant alchemical components, like rubedo dominant swallow increasing HP regen, but in my multiple playthroughs of the game, I've never seen reagents causing a debuff.

You don't need to plan anything, because the game is pathetically easy to cheese. Bring some swallows a cat and a tawny owl, and you can get through anything in the game.

How is not poisoning yourself considered planning?

You really overestimate the complexity of the alchemy system. besides synergizing alchemy elements, it's no different than the second one.
>>
>>343946483
Act 3 starts when you wake up in Triss' apartment and you go to that party

It ends after the first real confrontation with the bad guy
>>
>>343946492
The game is not challening if you do the side missions because you get overwhelmed with experience

Best way to experience the game is with FCR mod on harder difficulties, then every fight can kill you if you're not careful
>>
>>343946584
>>343946483
>It ends after the first real confrontation with the bad guy

I meant that's when act 2 ends
>>
>>343946213
>When did I ever talk about any of that shit?

Maybe, just maybe, the point is exactly that you ignored all that shit just to have an excuse to shitpost?

>Now stop throwing an autism tantrum, shill.

He was just point out how stupid you were, no need to be so aggressive to try to hide your retardation. Just deal with it and move on.
>>
>>343946668
The game is not challenging at any point after the hell hound because it's just a bad DDR combat system with the most broken shit like igni
>>
>>343946820
It is challenging on hard if you don't go out your way to do all the side quests

Also it's very good and balanced with FCR mod
>>
>>343946724
>Maybe, just maybe, the point is exactly that you ignored all that shit just to have an excuse to shitpost?
How can I ignore something that nobody ever said? Are you fucking retarded?

Enjoy the last (You), shill.
>>
>>343946213
I never said that the game is good from the beggining.

You mentioned that the game only has 3 basic potions which are the potions you get from the tuitorial. You never even bothered to look for recipes for oils, other potions or bombs
>>
>>343946904

Who cares?

If you have to purposefully avoid content and use mods to make the game challenging, then the base game must not be very challenging.
>>
>>343947223
There is nothing wrong with using mods, especially good mods like FCR that will get you hired by the company
>>
>>343947142
When did I say the game only had 3 potions?

Jesus, Witcher 1 shills go through the most fucking insane mental gymnastics to defend the game.
>>
>>343946492
>I'm pretty sure you can buff potions with dominant alchemical components, like rubedo dominant swallow increasing HP regen, but in my multiple playthroughs of the game, I've never seen reagents causing a debuff.

You posted this line, whereas almost every other RPG is "buy health potion, press X to use health potion at any time for instant HP" and yet you say they're all the same.

I mean, look at a contemporary game to the Witcher: Dragon Age Origins. A game in which the alchemy boils down to one Elfroot + vial = health potion. Stock 99 of them up and use liberally.
>>
>>343947339

You're right, there's nothing wrong with using mods.

I never said anything to the contrary.

What I'm saying is that if you need to use a mod to make a game hard, then that must mean that the base unmodded game isnt very hard at all.

FCR modded witcher might be satisfyingly difficult, but the plain retail version of the game is super easy to anyone who's ever played an RPG in their life. And that isnt even using exploitative shit like IGNI/AARD cheese
>>
>>343946975
>I oversimplied everything just to shitpost, but it's ok because that guy didn't wrote a superdetailed.
>I-I-I didn't write a load of bullshit, I swear, it's his fault! His fault!

Yes, you are right, you aren't a deperate pathetic retard.

>Enjoy the last (You), shill.

You sure love those meme, but they aren't a magic wall that magically hide your retardation. Sorry.
>>
>>343947358
>press x to heal
>press x for temporary attack boost
>press x to see in dark

These are the potions you get from the tutorial.You have no idea what you're talking about

>Shill

Used when people have no arguments
>>
>>343947693
Tell me where I said those were the only potions in the game.

Tell me how I have no idea what I'm talking about even though I played the game for 16 hours.

Keep shilling.
>>
>>343947871
When those are the things you can number when it comes to the alchemy you haven't even scratched the surface of it because they give you those potions at the start of the game. You need to actually explore, buy recipes or trade for them from NPCs
>>
>>343941250
never, witchering isn't about fun
>>
>>343948052
Ignore that idiot, he doesn't deserve any serious reply.
>>
>>343946408
You're just agreeing with what he said but trying to word it differently to make it appear in depth. Signs aren't even necessary and using them just makes it even easier. Plus just like you can do in other RPGs you can just chug potions and negate any threat and spam like a retard. The gameplay in the Witcher has always been boring trash for people who suck at video games but the story, characters, and world make up for it.
>>
I'm the type of person that can't start half way through a series so when I saw the Witcher 2 there was basically no choice, I had to beat the first one first. My first 2 attempts ended in failure, both times making it about half way through act 1, on my 3rd attempt I finished the game, it was great, I remember loving every bit of it from Act 3 on wards, the final twists and the way the plot developed really surprised me.

About a year ago as the hype for the 3rd game was building I decided to read the books before I started the 3rd game, this was because of the introduction of characters like Ciri and Yennefer, this was a pretty good choice because the books are incredible, anyway after I finished the books I became super excited to play the Witcher 1 again, It had been so long that I was mostly curious about how they handle the beginning of the story, considering the ending of the books.

Well fuck me, I had only planned on playing the first few hours but I ended up playing the whole damn game again, meeting old friends was exciting, all the references and lore fit so well, it was never overbearing, my favourite act became act 2, which is very unusual and its probably because you really felt like Geralt from the books, after replaying 1 it also made me dislike the fact that theres no neutral path in 2.

What i'm trying to say is read the books lmao.
>>
>>343949882
>read the books

no thanks
yen is a trash character

ciri is a trash character

no
thanks
>>
>>343950368

>Judging the books by how much you like the characters.

Lmao.
>>
>>343941250
Act 3
>>
will there ever be a witcher thread without soulsfags?
>>
>>343951960
I have only skimmed through the thread, but I haven't noticed any before you mentioned them.
This is about TW1 too, so there's not even the tiniest comparisons to make either.
Kindly fuck off.
>>
Why do so many people defend the backtracking? I enjoyed the game quite a bit (I even liked the combat), but the backtracking was miles worse than anything I've ever experienced. People will cite the Swamp as the main offender, but it's really the whole game. Walking along the giant circular path in Act 1 sucked. Walking back and forth across the town and Swamp in Act 2 and 3 sucked (the teleporter only barely helped). Walking across the gigantic stretch of plains and The Field in Act 4 really sucked.

I will say though that it speaks to the quality of the game that I liked it in spite of how mind-numbingly tired I got of walking around everywhere.
>>
>>343951960
You already know anon...

The real thing I want is a witcher1 style game with multiplayer mode set up like dark souls, that would be the shit
>>
>>343953484
I'm a sucker for music and atmosphere, and at some points, even just fucking around was pretty good.

I mean I do agree with you that from a technical standpoint it did suck, and stank of a rookie dev's mistake, but subjectively I was almost okay with it.
That said I do wish we'd kept that teleport crystal of Kalkstein's in chapter 3. Yes, by that point there was another set up between the tower, Triss' lab and Kalkstein's lab, but I preferred just finding the nearest place of power to get the hell back to Vizima.
>>
>>343951303
>judging books by 80% of their value

lmao am i rite
>>
>>343954391

>Thinking 80% of a books value is based on how likable the characters are.

Graduated from Captain Underpants yet?
>>
>>343953498
>invade some guy trying to cure a striga
>fuck him up while he sleeps in the crypt where the striga lies
>mad as fuck

only with gfwl
>>
Any good lets play of this game?
>>
>>343954749
>implying a story driven narrative like witcher doesn't put an enormous amount of importance on portraying different characters
>implying it doesn't make up a large majority of the book
>implying you read witcher for anything other than geralt fucking a bitch

no thanks ya fuckin dolt
>>
just finished the second one

what a desapointment. fucking loved my 40 hours with the first, the alvin twist was amazing

second one could not give me 30

and the whole game feels pointless, whitout killing the kings, geralt could had got back his memory by killing monsters or eating fruits
>>
>>343955025

>Implying you read the books.

I don't really know what the fuck you're trying to say but there's no reason why characters being likable has any influence on the quality of the story, plenty of great books, tv shows, films and even games have a plot centered around an unlikable character.

Geralt only fucks 2 bitches in all the novels and barely any more in the short story collections.
>>
>>343949882

The story is garbage, only interesting thing in the storyline was the wild hunt that they never really expanded upon.

I was really excited for this series, it had so much potential. But on playing I couldn't get into it, played the first didn't enjoy. Started the second uninstalled about 1/4 of the way through the game.

I found the combat boring as hell, crafting aspect the same, forced fucking pendant mechanic was annoying storyline was sort of interesting but gets sort of cringy, I think due to the voice acting. It did look incredible though.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.